• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT2| Created by Unstable Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Control Warrior looks fun, but fuck it costs a lot of dust.

Do nothing, do nothing, shield slam, play legendary, play legendary, win/lose.

It is about as boring as it gets. Ditto to play against, because it takes 400 turns to get to the point where you may or may not win.

Miletius

Do you guys DE legendaries or save them? I have a Van Cleef and Captain Greenskin that do not seem all that useful. I just started playing around with crafting and turned my duplicates to dust. If I DE these two I will be very close to crafting a useful legendary.

I don't normally dust stuff, but that's because I don't believe that I'll ever get anything back with the rate I play. That's just personal bias though, I think it's probably better to dust and make stuff that you will use rather than hope for something.

Pulled a Dr. Boom from the GvG packs, so that's nice.

Dahbomb

I ran into a fatigue mage in ranked, shit was so infuriating. Triple Sludge Belcher and 4 deathlords thanks to duplicate and echo, shit was insane because i almost won i had him to 7 hp but he had to healbots and .....damn that was a good deck.
That was probably me....

I am DantheBadass on Battle.net.

That's the deck I am running these days. It's better than Mill Druid because Mage has better stalls/AOE clears. Even if you can't clear you normally have a ton of freeze spells to wait out for the proper card. Druids don't have that and their AOE clears are a bit more situation and combo heavy (like if you have just Poison Seeds with a bunch of Death Rattle minions that won't save you but a Frost Nova or Cone of Cold normally does).

That was probably me....

That's the deck I am running these days. It's better than Mill Druid because Mage has better stalls/AOE clears. Even if you can't clear you normally have a ton of freeze spells to wait out for the proper card. Druids don't have that and their AOE clears are a bit more situation and combo heavy (like if you have just Poison Seeds with a bunch of Death Rattle minions that won't save you but a Frost Nova or Cone of Cold normally does).
I ran it today on my lunch break. One guy in ranked conceded on turn 6 when I played a heal bot. I assume he knew what I was playing, lol. It does seem better than Fatigue Druid but killing opponents with Naturalize is so damn fun.

Dahbomb

Both of these decks have the same weakness in that they are weak to Combo Decks. Freeze Mage is weaker to Control Warrior but stronger against Zoo.

Also Freeze/Fatigue Mage gets wrecked by Antonidas if he's stealthed. The match up against Mech mage is one where it's easy win until they draw an Antonidas into 2-3 1 spells used plus one of them being stealth. That makes the match go from easy to win to fairly difficult as he will just burst you down with Fireballs.

The worst thing that happened today was on Turn 4 he kills my Deathlord and it summons an Antonidas. He stealths him up and then proceeds to own me from there. RNGesus was not on my side that time.

The times where they got Antonidas out and I had a Polymorph in play I won those matches convincingly.

And Fel Reaver is a fucking shit card. Honestly speaking if there was a card that gave over control of a minion to your opponent I would play that deck and then destroy the opponent's entire deck with cheap ass 1 spells/spare parts.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
That was probably me....

Woah maybe it was you....my battle.net name is KobraZer0 so maybe you remember my name because i don't remember the name of the dude.

Dahbomb

I never remember people online, I rarely even look at people's name.

What deck were you playing? Maybe I remember some of the plays. I do remember that there was some time today where I had a ton of Deathlords out.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
I never remember people online, I rarely even look at people's name.

What deck were you playing? Maybe I remember some of the plays. I do remember that there was some time today where I had a ton of Deathlords out.

all i remember is that is put down a leroy and used to kill a deathlord and a healbot was one of the last minions i played. Oh and i had no more cards when i conceded.

ZZMitch

Hey guys I have been tweaking my own version of a spare part focused mech rouge deck recently and it has been doing pretty well. I thought I would post it here to get Gaf's opinion on it.

ScreenShot2015-01-17at21408AM_zps7c941bbf.png

Its been winning games but is also a ton of fun, which is what I generally go for with decks these days :p

Also, before anyone mentions it, I don't have Dr. Boom yet heh. Although I am not sure how well it would fit in this style of mech rouge anyway.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Mill seems to do very poorly vs Mech Mage. They normally get me to burn like 3 cards, I go "Oh, its Mill, let me dump my hand out", and then they are lost with my hand being smaller then theirs.

johnsmith

remember me
Holy fuck I'm sick of paladins in arena. Turn 4 truesilver every fucking time. I don't even draft them half the time when I play paladin. They need to give weapons to all classes, it's not fair that only a few have them.

So from 15 packs I just got a golden Ancient of War, golden Ancient of Lore, and Ysera.

+ A few other epics and golden rares.

Probably the best $20 I've spent on Hearthstone.

Already had 2x of each Ancient, so that's 800 dust (would consider keeping, but I have no real interest in golden cards.)

zoukka

At 4 wins my opponent plays 3 Truesilvers and kills me with exact lethal after playing EQUALITY + CONSECRATE while I have 2 Ironbarks on board and a hand full of cards...

I should just draft 1-drops over bombs it seems.

Unstable Portal is fine guys

It's not OP like I predicted from the moment it was spoiled. Too often it produces a generic minion that sets you behind to be consistent. You guys say "the worst case scenario you get a free River Crocolisk!", well that's a fucking horrible play on turn-2 in constructed boys.

zoukka

I'm 4-2 and my priest opponent steals 2 ironbarks with thoughtsteal. He literally won the game with a dice roll, no way around it.

Minsc

Gold Member
It's not OP like I predicted from the moment it was spoiled. Too often it produces a generic minion that sets you behind to be consistent. You guys say "the worst case scenario you get a free River Crocolisk!", well that's a fucking horrible play on turn-2 in constructed boys.

Not all mage decks use vital 2-drops though, if it's in a deck that normally doesn't depend on hitting a perfect 2-drop for winning, it's irrelevant if it pulls a bad draw. Just an extra win condition, and one that works out 1/3 of the time or so.

zoukka

Not all mage decks use vital 2-drops though, if it's in a deck that normally doesn't depend on hitting a perfect 2-drop for winning, it's irrelevant if it pulls a bad draw. Just an extra win condition, and one that works out 1/3 of the time or so.

Irrelevant? That 2 drop could've been a relevant card in your hand.

Ugh. Have enough dust for like 2.5 legendaries. Problem is the legendaries I need and want don't necessarily synergize with each other. Dr. Boom is great, but I feel like I can skip him. So then next up is like Black Knight and Alexstraza, but they work in completely different deck archetypes. Thinking about getting Alex and the required epics (~3) for freeze mage, then IDK what. If I get Grom and Alex, I'd still be missing Baron, Harrison, and Boom for control warrior. Could get Cenarius since I've been playing a lot of druid, but I think he's easily subbed out for Ysera or Kel'Thuzad.

Tough decision. Though I think Alex might be for sure since I'd finally be able to freeze mage, since she's critical for that.

JoeMartin

I'm 4-2 and my priest opponent steals 2 ironbarks with thoughtsteal. He literally won the game with a dice roll, no way around it.

And that's the way the game goes.

The sooner all you people complaining about RNG accept that fact that some perrcentage of your losses and your wins will be forced by the roll of a dice the sooner you can start having fun with the game.

zoukka

Ugh. Have enough dust for like 2.5 legendaries. Problem is the legendaries I need and want don't necessarily synergize with each other. Dr. Boom is great, but I feel like I can skip him. So then next up is like Black Knight and Alexstraza, but they work in completely different deck archetypes. Thinking about getting Alex and the required epics (~3) for freeze mage, then IDK what. If I get Grom and Alex, I'd still be missing Baron, Harrison, and Boom for control warrior. Could get Cenarius since I've been playing a lot of druid, but I think he's easily subbed out for Ysera or Kel'Thuzad.

Tough decision. Though I think Alex might be for sure since I'd finally be able to freeze mage, since she's critical for that.

Dr. Boom fool.

Minsc

Gold Member
Irrelevant? That 2 drop could've been a relevant card in your hand.

What I mean is when you build a deck around a curve, not all decks need to hit their 2-drops. Certain types of decks getting a 2/3 creature is fine for a 2-drop.

Ultimately, the chances break down to being in your favor of it trading 1:1 as a card, which is what you want. Very few times it won't go 1:1, and many times it can go 2:1 or higher, sometimes outright win you a game by itself (which when you are hoping for a 55%+ winrate, counts for a ton). For a 2-mana card, that's pretty good, and more than can be said of a lot of a Mage's other 2-mana cards. Not to mention the synergy it has with Mana Wyrm, turn 1 Wyrm followed by Portal to a 6-mana creature turn 3 is tough to come back against, or even a 2/3 Wyrm + another 2-3 drop down on turn 2 while getting that buff for the Wyrm and starting to tick away their life.

Play malganis, master of disguise it, pass the rest of the game... right?

edit:
Seems like unstable portal as a card is being judged on how much you can rely on it. You should judge it on how often it draws a 2 or higher mana card vs how often it draws a wisp or target dummy or 1 mana card. The chances of getting a 2 mana or higher card is way higher than a 1 mana card or wisp/target dummy. That is how much you can rely on it tbh. And how many times it hits big is whatever % of minion cards exist that give you basically an autowin if you get it.

i'm inclined to believe that, on average, it's not a broken card. but it feels pretty awful to lose to something that not only comes early but can't naturally exist in a mage deck. it's anti-fun.

which is the same rational they used to nerf mind control.

Xanathus

You really must like control warrior to play so many matches, i see you farm matches every single day.

It's my most favorite golden portrait, and I actually do like the deck because of how non-standard it plays (e.g. not play minion after minion and trade and hit face). It's just that farming it takes so long but that's one of the prestige of having a golden warrior.

CW is basically a remnant of classic hearthstone. Removal for everything, then win off combos and big minions.

I'd say winning the game with board control is relatively newer. Like since naxxramas came out and more so since gvg, with exception to cw.

Dahbomb

Just got Malganis from a pack!

Damn my luck has been good this week!

This is the GGGGAAAAAAMMMMMMEEEE we play!

kiryani

I'm tearing my hair out playing shaman.

I'm starting to think the class is too balanced compared to all the other classes that have some level of unfairness to them, yeah we have good early game removal and hex but I just feel that shaman is way behind right now.

I'm actually still climbing the ladder but it's so god damn slow it's infuriating and I'm pretty much auto conceding to hunter. I'll win 3 and lose 2 and it's giving me a headache.

Should I just join the masses and play face hunter and zoo till rank 5 then try and play properly at rank 5?

johnsmith

remember me

I'm starting to think the class is too balanced compared to all the other classes that have some level of unfairness to them, yeah we have good early game removal and hex but I just feel that shaman is way behind right now.

I'm actually still climbing the ladder but it's so god damn slow it's infuriating and I'm pretty much auto conceding to hunter. I'll win 3 and lose 2 and it's giving me a headache.

Should I just join the masses and play face hunter and zoo till rank 5 then try and play properly at rank 5?

Shaman has a really good matchup vs hunter if you add antique healbots though.

Xanathus

I'd advise against hunter because from watching streams it seems most people are playing anti-hunter tech like Chows at ranks 5-9. QuarterMuster Paladin actually seems like a good deck to climb but it needs to be properly built with Tirion and such.

kiryani

I'd advise against hunter because from watching streams it seems most people are playing anti-hunter tech like Chows at ranks 5-9. QuarterMuster Paladin actually seems like a good deck to climb but it needs to be properly built with Tirion and such.

I would feel dirty playing hunter to be honest.

Here's my deck list. Any thoughts? I don't have access to the 2nd 2 wings of naxx so no Chow

Earth Shock X2
Rockbiter Weapon X2
Stormforged Axe
Crackle X2
Acidic Swamp Ooze
Flametongue Totem X2
Haunted Creeper X2
Feral Spirit X2
Hex X2
Lightning Storm X2
Big Game Hunter
Defender of Argus
Piloted Shredder X2
Sen'jin Shieldmasta
Antique Healbot
Azure Drake
Fire Elemental X2
Dr Boom
Neptulon
Al'akir the Windlord

Currently at Rank 12 , 1 star from rank 11

Xanathus

I would feel dirty playing hunter to be honest.

Here's my deck list. Any thoughts? I don't have access to the 2nd 2 wings of naxx so no Chow

Earth Shock X2
Rockbiter Weapon X2
Stormforged Axe
Crackle X2
Acidic Swamp Ooze
Flametongue Totem X2
Haunted Creeper X2
Feral Spirit X2
Hex X2
Lightning Storm X2
Big Game Hunter
Defender of Argus
Piloted Shredder X2
Sen'jin Shieldmasta
Antique Healbot
Azure Drake
Fire Elemental X2
Dr Boom
Neptulon
Al'akir the Windlord

Currently at Rank 12 , 1 star from rank 11

You definitely want a Thalnos somewhere in there since you're playing Crackle along with the other common Shaman spells. Belchers are also really needed but you don't have that Naxx wing so too bad. You also want 1 Harvest Golem for an early sticky minion that can trade. I'd take out BGH and Stormforged Axe. Ooze is questionable too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom