• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT2| Created by Unstable Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zemm

My God, I hope Blizzard removes Hunters mark, it's that one card that makes Hunter completely fucking retarded.

Acinixys

My God, I hope Blizzard removes Hunters mark, it's that one card that makes Hunter completely fucking retarded.

I have always maintained that the synergy Hunters get, especially at 7-10 mana, is pretty broken

No other class has so many cards that work so well together

Shaman has Unbound Elementals + Overload cards
Priest has Northshire/Soul Priest + heals
Mage has Ice+Fire spell combos

But those are nothing next to the Buzzard + Timberwolf + Unleash + Hyena combo, which is one of the stupidest thing to have to deals with

Its a guaranteed 2+ card draw, always gets favorable trades and leaves the hunter with a massive Hyena

Zemm

It kind of all plays a part because the amount of times I've seen hunters draw into hunters mark from buzzard +UTH combo is a lot. Even without Mark they'd by a pretty good class right now but that card tips them from great to broken. I don't believe I ever called zoo overpowered but I'd definitely use that word for hunters.

zoukka

The current hunter is most definitely overpowered. It has insane value, tempo and card draw. Not to mention almost zoo-like stability in openings.

I've never seen more consistent
chansub-global-emoticon-18be1a297459453f-36x30.png
on streams than against Hunters.

Massan just played one that completely shifted tempo with one turn of Buzzard + UTH + Mark + Hyena.

Remove one of those from the equation and it's an interesting game, but the card draw off of just Buzzard + UTH gives a decent chance at having the rest of the combo.

Tarazet

I have always maintained that the synergy Hunters get, especially at 7-10 mana, is pretty broken

No other class has so many cards that work so well together

Shaman has Unbound Elementals + Overload cards
Priest has Northshire/Soul Priest + heals
Mage has Ice+Fire spell combos

But those are nothing next to the Buzzard + Timberwolf + Unleash + Hyena combo, which is one of the stupidest thing to have to deals with

Its a guaranteed 2+ card draw, always gets favorable trades and leaves the hunter with a massive Hyena

The way I like to play against Hunter is start strong with a bunch of early minions, trade them away into the Animal Companions, and then play more minions one at a time while using hero power/spells. It sucks if they pull Explosive Trap early, but that's not what they typically mulligan for except against Zoo.

Zemm

I've never seen more consistent
chansub-global-emoticon-18be1a297459453f-36x30.png
on streams than against Hunters.

Massan just played one that completely shifted tempo with one turn of Buzzard + UTH + Mark + Hyena.

Remove one of those from the equation and it's an interesting game, but the card draw off of just Buzzard + UTH gives a decent chance at having the rest of the combo.

yep, you only need to play the class for a very short time to realise it's overpowered and broken. It's worse than Zoo was at its peak.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
What I'm not understanding is why Hunter's Mark is 0 mana. Humility costs 1 mana and that doesn't even set you up for an actual removal, why is Hunter's Mark cheaper?

NBtoaster

The biggest problem is Buzzard. It's far too low effort to draw cards. Other cards dont let you draw while placing (multiple, charging) bodies on the board.

Hunter's mark wouldnt be so bad if they werent guaranteed to draw it every game.

Acinixys

The way I like to play against Hunter is start strong with a bunch of early minions, trade them away into the Animal Companions, and then play more minions one at a time while using hero power/spells. It sucks if they pull Explosive Trap early, but that's not what they typically mulligan for except against Zoo.

The problem I have is that even of you can control the early game, as soon as you have 2 big minions+ on the field you know youre gonna get UTH'd, and theres no counter for it except to play very very sparingly and play only 1 minion at a time

Aylinato

Ten hunters in a row.

I was facing loads of hunters. Made a Mage deck with great value to counter. Only face non-hunter decks.

I think this game has a hidden matchmaker system which puts you against shit your deck is weak against.

I may just remake my high value Druid deck with tons of heals

Control warrior has a Unstable Ghoul, Armor Smith, and an Enraged Grom on the board.

Sylvanas into Reincarnate to steal Grom! Talk about a gamble, but man do I live for those plays. Has to suck though, guy probably feels as bad as I feel great.

The problem I have is that even of you can control the early game, as soon as you have 2 big minions+ on the field you know youre gonna get UTH'd, and theres no counter for it except to play very very sparingly and play only 1 minion at a time

If you play only one minion at a time, you're wide open for Deadly Shot or Beast + Kill Command or Freezing Trap + Eaglehorn Bow if it's too big to trade with. You can't win by playing only a few minions and you can't win by playing tons of minions. And forget taunts, they just get Marked and then dropped by a single hound.

Zemm

This is the worst state of the game that I've seen, it's a fucking mess. Blizzard are slow as fuck as well so I will be shocked if we see any changes in 2014 which means Hunters will continue to get banned from tournaments and constructed will continue to be shit.

I joined last week and am "part of the problem" as it were - the only constructed decks I have are Zoo and Face Hunter. In my defence I would say that they're only decks I can actually make with the cards and dust I have. I would love to try out Control Warrior but it'll be months before I have the legendaries for it. Zoo and various types of Hunters probably make up 60%+ of what I play against in ranked too, so my familiarity with them was greater even before I began researching what cards to craft.

Tarazet

I was facing loads of hunters. Made a Mage deck with great value to counter. Only face non-hunter decks.

I think this game has a hidden matchmaker system which puts you against shit your deck is weak against.

I may just remake my high value Druid deck with tons of heals

I've been playing mostly Aggro Mage and every other game I play is against a healadin or a Priest. Seriously. When I do get Hunters I know I have a great chance.

Would you guys say that one of these cards is strictly better than the other? I really can't find a proper moment to play King Krush in my Hunter decks! I wish it would cost 1 mana less.
EDIT: Wait why does Krush say "Pet" on it and not "Beast"? Lmao WTF.

Aylinato

Would you guys say that one of these cards is strictly better than the other? I really can't find a proper moment to play King Krush in my Hunter decks! I wish it would cost 1 mana less.
EDIT: Wait why does Krush say "Pet" on it and not "Beast"? Lmao WTF.

It says beast in game I believe. That may have been an older picture

I'm pretty sure you can't just compare cards in a vacuum. You have to consider the other class cards along with the hero ability.

I'm having trouble finding the synergy Krush has with the other class cards. Sure he's a beast, but there's nothing that can be placed in the same turn that compliments him since his mana cost is so ridiculously high. Hellscream has loads of cards that go hand in hand with him though. Cruel Taskmaster and Inner Rage off the top of my head.

This is the worst state of the game that I've seen, it's a fucking mess. Blizzard are slow as fuck as well so I will be shocked if we see any changes in 2014 which means Hunters will continue to get banned from tournaments and constructed will continue to be shit.

Yeah, as someone who prefers to play Shaman this game has quickly become unplayable. Even in casual it's been about 60-70% Hunter and Zoo the last couple weeks.

Gotchaye

Well, the most notable difference seems to be that Warrior decks frequently aim to stall until the late game and can afford to have some high cost minions in their hands from early on. Hunters are typically much more aggressive and can have major card draw problems as-is unless they get their hands on specific card combinations. Control Warriors might have room for Krush.

Zemm

Yeah, as someone who prefers to play Shaman this game has quickly become unplayable. Even in casual it's been about 60-70% Hunter and Zoo the last couple weeks.

Shaman brother :( Yeah I'd love to play more shaman but it's just not worth it, I'm playing priest right now and even that can be frustrating.

So many bots as well, getting beyound a joke now. I complain so much i wonder why I even play, but it's still the better game out right now since all the rest apart from CS GO are shite.

I'm having trouble finding the synergy Krush has with the other class cards. Sure he's a beast, but there's nothing that can be placed in the same turn that compliments him since his mana cost is so ridiculously high. Hellscream has loads of cards that go hand in hand with him though. Cruel Taskmaster and Inner Rage off the top of my head.

It's not always synergy with that exact card however, but how the class can function overall. Gotchaye explains it a little bit better.

Gotta adapt or die basically. There are shaman decks out there that can be played in a hunter meta. You just can't spam totems. Same with paladin. While hunters have a leg up in this match up, it isn't nearly as bad as people think.

Shaman combo decks are much stronger than control decks, since using doomhammer and alakir allows them to race the hunter.

I'm running a deck right now that should have alakir, but it is still fairly strong even vs hunters. The final deck would have alakir and doomhammer combos to burn the hunter down and it focuses on establishing board with actual minion as opposed to totems. Spectral knight is a minion hunters have a hard time dealing with, outside of deadly shot. Taunt walls built with argus + spectral knight is very effective. Hex means they must rely more on the combo than on establishing big presence via highmane and lightning storm makes the minion spam actually kind of a big risk.

In a way king krush is actually better than grom because he requires no synergy to make use of him. Grom's enrage is a downside really. You can heal it back up to reduce the damage. You can turn him into a 4/1 with equality or hunter's mark. You can use execute on him without any set up. None of those work on krush, and krush doesn't require an activator to be a huge threat.

The hunter decks being run value a more consistent opening rather than sometimes finding value out of a huge expensive charge minion though. When you get him from webspinner, you're not always sad. People don't expect it, and that is something you can leverage to your side often.

I don't think king krush is bad or really requires more synergy than it has. Beastial wrath is one card you may not have thought of, making him a 10 damage immune charge can be pretty crazy under the right circumstances. I've never gotten the chance to mess around with him in a deck of my own though. I need to save up for alakir atm.

It's not always synergy with that exact card however, but how the class can function overall. Gotchaye explains it a little bit better.

I just don't understand why you'd ever want to take King Krush over, say, Leeroy Jenkins. From what I've read, the only justifiable use of King Krush in your deck is for finishing. So let's compare: King Krush can do 8 damage on turn 9, while Leeroy can do 8 damage on turn 6 (including hero power). So if this were the late game, turn 9 or 10, and I went with Leeroy instead of Krush, I'd have 3-4 more mana to use in that final turn, giving you more options. EDIT: Oh and on top of that, Leeroy actually has BETTER synergy in a Hunter deck thanks to the UTH follow up! Geez.

What bothers me about Krush is that he's the class legendary but he seems so...ordinary! He doesn't do anything particularly unique like nearly all other class legendaries do (except Warrior's, who has a better Krush). He's just so expensive and so outclassed by even neutral cards... Really wish he'd do something different because his art and intro is so epic. Would love to use him. But just can't justify it.

Zemm

Gotta adapt or die basically. There are shaman decks out there that can be played in a hunter meta. You just can't spam totems. Same with paladin. While hunters have a leg up in this match up, it isn't nearly as bad as people think.

Shaman combo decks are much stronger than control decks, since using doomhammer and alakir allows them to race the hunter.

I'm running a deck right now that should have alakir, but it is still fairly strong even vs hunters. The final deck would have alakir and doomhammer combos to burn the hunter down and it focuses on establishing board with actual minion as opposed to totems. Spectral knight is a minion hunters have a hard time dealing with, outside of deadly shot. Taunt walls built with argus + spectral knight is very effective. Hex means they must rely more on the combo than on establishing big presence via highmane and lightning storm makes the minion spam actually kind of a big risk.

Even with all that you're still thinking like 5 times more and having to play at a waaaaay higher standard than every single warlock and hunter player playing the game, combined.

Mind sharing your deck? I don't have Al'Akir yet but I'd still be interested in trying it out if you don't mind sharing.

I just don't understand why you'd ever want to take King Krush over, say, Leeroy Jenkins. From what I've read, the only justifiable use of King Krush in your deck is for finishing. So let's compare: King Krush can do 8 damage on turn 9, while Leeroy can do 8 damage on turn 6 (including hero power). So if this were the late game, turn 9 or 10, and I went with Leeroy instead of Krush, I'd have 3-4 more mana to use in that final turn, giving you more options. EDIT: Oh and on top of that, Leeroy actually has BETTER synergy in a Hunter deck thanks to the UTH follow up! Geez.

What bothers me about Krush is that he's the class legendary but he seems so...ordinary! He doesn't do anything particularly unique like nearly all other class legendaries do (except Warrior's, who has a better Krush). He's just so expensive and so outclassed by even neutral cards... Really wish he'd do something different because his art and intro is so epic. Would love to use him. But just can't justify it.

Don't forget that Krush also has eight health, which allows him to trade with other bodies without dying right away. Maybe right now it doesn't make any sense to run Krush with the current meta, but that could all change. You can also think that Leeroy is always a finisher, and nothing else. So if you have Leeroy, and only Leeroy, he might end up being a dead card.(Though I suppose most instances of top decking Leeroy results in a win.) As an aside, Krush can 'eat' just about another other class legendary and live head on. While some like Tirion and Cenarious might take a little bit of extra work, he can still take them out. Just another thing to think about.

When talking about an interesting card however, I'm not sure how he could change. Hunters don't really do to much when you think about it. Mages have lots of spells, Rogues combo, Shamans abuse Windfury, etc. As for hunters, they do things with beasts, and that's about it. I feel like if they had a card that affected the hero power, it would probably be way too strong. Maybe they could make him like a Giant and have him cost less with how many beasts are on your board or something, hard to say.

I also wouldn't expect anything to change about him though, if they felt he was too weak, they would of changed him a long time ago.

ViviOggi

Well after trading for something substantial it'll be an 8/4 at best and I can't imagine there ever to be a situation where that's worth an entire turn.

Not really saying it's worthwhile, but the fact that Krush can might be the reason he is what he is. Just know that I'm guessing at all of this, I have no idea why Krush is Krush, just trying to think of the possibilities.

Even with all that you're still thinking like 5 times more and having to play at a waaaaay higher standard than every single warlock and hunter player playing the game, combined.

I don't think that is true. Hunter and warlock decks have a lot of decision to make as well. Warlocks have a lot of placement decisions as well as knowing when to go all in.

Just wondering, have you played those decks much? Often with hunter in close matches there is not a clear decisive path to victory, except when you get far ahead by capitalizing on an opponent's mistake or lack of pacing.

Mind sharing your deck? I don't have Al'Akir yet but I'd still be interested in trying it out if you don't mind sharing.

Off the top of my head it is something like

2x earthshock
2x lightning bolt
2x rockbiter
2x argent squire
2x flametongue totem
2x haunted creeper
2x feral spirit
2x hex
2x lightning storm
2x harvest golem
1x unbound elemental
1x defender of argus
1x doomhammer
1x bloodlust
2x azure drake
1x loatheb
2x fire elemental
1x alakir

I personally don't have alakir so I am running a spectral knight instead and the reason I am running that is because alakir isn't really replaceable by any single card.

It isn't my list, I think Massan made it or altered someone else's deck. Mine happened to be very close (doomhammer/bloodlust/1 unbound) and I decided to try his list and I liked it.

Versus hunters you can't really totem much. You'll want to play minions that you can trade off with his early presence which is one of the reasons totems are such a liability since you can't kill them off. Save hex for highmanes. Use earthshock to help control board. Play around explosive/freeze and if you drop loatheb when you are ready to start pounding face you can win pretty hard.

I'm not saying this is the best list for versus hunters, I am not well enough versed in shamans to say that, and maybe I am overstating this decks' strength vs the decks, but I found it at least winnable. There are probably way better lists out there for versing hunter's, but I think this style of deck can race a hunter down simply because you can pull out huge damage combos similar to token druid vs hunter.

edit:
Also alakir is very important for the list I have found. It can be quite difficult to win with only 1 big combo starter.

Haunted

I can't watch these Warrior control matchups on Trump's channel. His deck has like 9 legendaries in it, that's so gross.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom