• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT2| Created by Unstable Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.

gutshot

Eh, I don't mind the free wins. You are an asshat if you are insta-conceding as a long-time player with a full stable of legendaries and are just doing it to make farming for your gold portrait easier. If you are a new player who just wants to get your dailies done quicker, I don't really have a problem with it.

I'm really enjoying Gazlowe in priest. Still trying out all kinds things but so far he's been insane everytime I get to play him. But so far it's been either a close win or a close loss. Still a ton of fun though.
I'm doing the same as well and it's going better than I expected. I first tried out Gazlow in Shaman/Druid because I thought that with cards like Savage Roar and Bloodlust, they'd benefit from the extra minions/board filling potential, but as people mentioned before, it's a bit too slow for that.

With Priest, it seems to work so well since you can get games to slow down and gain card advantage. Once that happens, you're good to go. One of my best games was getting a Cobalt Guardian, giving it taunt, then was able to follow up with a 2 cost mech.

Still making tweaks, but it's been the best Gazlow stuff I've done so far. One thing I need to get better at is using the Wild Pyromancer better since that's pretty much the sole card that'll push aggro decks into the late game.

zoukka

How is conceding games wasting other people's time? It's not hurting their rank in any way and they get free wins, wouldn't that make them happy?

My limited playing time is wasted if you concede for nothing. You also waste the time of the opponents you farm by artificially lowering your MMR, thus getting mismatched so its a horrible trend in all aspects.

Also in my personal opinion you have poor character if you want to abuse noobs for quick ranks, but again that's just my opinion.

Magnus

I'm having a lot of fun with my Priest at around rank 13 and rank 12 (never been this high before!)

Shrinkmeister + Cabal Priest/Shadow Madness combos are hilarious. These cards, plus Lightbomb and Dr. Boom have made all the difference in how I play and how well I do. Great stuff.

I love this game.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
You are wasting the time of the rank 20 people you are farming because you decided to cheat the ranking system.

Eh, I don't mind the free wins. You are an asshat if you are insta-conceding as a long-time player with a full stable of legendaries and are just doing it to make farming for your gold portrait easier. If you are a new player who just wants to get your dailies done quicker, I don't really have a problem with it.

It's not the conceding that's the problem, but the matches you do play.

Yeah, I can agree with this sentiment that if you have most of the rares and legendaries and have decks capable of reaching the sub rank 5 area then yes, conceding back to rank 20 just to farm wins would be a tad unfair.

But the highest rank I've ever gotten is 16, and I'm missing even most of the classic legends and a good number of the rares as well, not to mention barely having any GvsG cards at all yet. In fact I'm sure the only reason I can reach rank 16 at all is due to my Naxx cards!

I think I'll try a few cycles of conceding back to 20 and fighting my way up to the highest ranks I can, earning gold and cards along the way until I seem able to build a deck capable of getting to a decent rank, at least further than rank 16, lol! In terms of card collections I think I certainly qualify as a "new" player. I could go on a disenchanting spree and build one good deck but I don't want to do that. I only disenchant cards I have more than two of. The collector in me just really wants to "catch em all".

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Just how hard is it to hit Legend by the end of the month? It seems like it becomes progressively easier to rank up as the month moves on. If anything the players I am playing now at Rank 7 seem to be worse then the ones at Rank 15 like 10 days ago. But I can easily see being harder once you hit 5, since before then you can actually rank up with a win rate of less then 50%.

Maybe Next Season I'll try to make something more original instead of using a slight variation of a common net deck.

Visceir

Get really good mage/hunter arena decks with legendaries and get only 1/2 wins. Get a really mediocre priest arena deck and get 5 wins while clumsily making my way to victory.

Also got my first legendary from that 5 win run -- Foe Reaper 4000. Might actually have some use for it, nice!

gutshot

So I threw together a warlock mech deck to complete my daily quest and it works surprisingly well (Disclaimer: in casual). Fel Cannon is so good. And Junkbot isn't as trash-tier as I thought. It actually makes Target Dummy somewhat useful!

ViviOggi

Just how hard is it to hit Legend by the end of the month? It seems like it becomes progressively easier to rank up as the month moves on. If anything the players I am playing now at Rank 7 seem to be worse then the ones at Rank 15 like 10 days ago. But I can easily see being harder once you hit 5, since before then you can actually rank up with a win rate of less then 50%.

Maybe Next Season I'll try to make something more original instead of using a slight variation of a common net deck.
I haven't noticed a huge difference. Around rank 15 is a bit all over the place for the first couple of days as everyone gets knocked down but decent players quickly assemble at rank 5+. From there it's somewhat of a grind no matter when you commit to going for legend.

Dahbomb

Unstable Portal feels so non-optimal in a mech deck, but it's too good of a card not to include. The salt potential alone is worth it, because you know you're going to get some ridiculous bullshit out of that card, since even a mediocre card becomes amazing when you get a free innervate attached to it. 6 mana Ysera never gets old.
One of the worst matches I have had was when someone Unstable Portal'd a Force Tank then proceeded to Echo it twice (so he got 4 of them out). My Polymorph was three turns too late to come in...

Fuck that card.

Szadek

If you want to make it to legend for the first time it's probably the best to use a netdeck.
You also probably want to use a fast deck,because getting from rank 5 to legend takes long enough with zoo or hunter,not to mention as a priest or warrior.

Sande

I'm kind of fed up with the matchmaking at the moment. With the help of some common sense and a website to create a (just about) decent deck right off the gate, I had it pretty easy for a couple of days. But now, I guess the game is reacting to my high W/L because I'm getting really unfair matches all the time. I guess it'll even out eventually but it's really discouraging to start a match right now.

Edit: So I looked up what all those different card backs everyone (else) has mean. Turns out I'm against people who've been playing for months, including ranked. How is that fair for someone who's just starting out?

embalm

One of the worst matches I have had was when someone Unstable Portal'd a Force Tank then proceeded to Echo it twice (so he got 4 of them out). My Polymorph was three turns too late to come in...

Fuck that card.
I had a similar situation with a mech mage top decking and nothing on board. An Unstable Portal > Sneed's Shreeder > Ragnoros > Echo > More Ragnoros.

The two Rag's ended up clearing my board and I didn't draw any removal, so I died like an insect.

bunbun777

It doesn't help that I've pulled two golden unstable portals. It's just too fun of a card not to play, don't even like my mage deck that much but I love the rngamble.

Spl1nter

So I have now been playing for almost 2 months Hearthstone. Game has a bit of a high learning curve than I expected. I think the biggest mistake I made and something I advised a friend who just started playing now is to not use your arena credit right away. Blizzard is sending you out for sacrifice if you utilize it.

I would say my experience for the first 3 weeks was awesome than I hit a rut as I could not construct decks to really advance up ladder. Facing people who have multiple legendaries when you are rank 18-19 is not fun. However, after using gold for 3 of the Naxxramas sections, I bought the rest myself. It enabled me to construct a hunter and zoo deck to at least and compete on ladder. I have got to rank 10 now and have started playing arena again and have averaged 5 wins over my last 5 runs.

Overall, I think for anyone starting to play, Nax is almost a must purchase. Otherwise the grind for the game is simply too long and you do not have the knowledge to make arena worth playing at the start. With the Nax cards you can at least create an okay deck to begin to learn the game so you can play arena later. The prevalence of hunter on ladder is because of its cheap dust cost. I think Blizzard could improve the system by significantly giving more dust for disenchantment or increasing the amount of dust starting players receive.

ViviOggi

So I have now been playing for almost 2 months Hearthstone. Game has a bit of a high learning curve than I expected. I think the biggest mistake I made and something I advised a friend who just started playing now is to not use your arena credit right away. Blizzard is sending you out for sacrifice if you utilize it.

I would say my experience for the first 3 weeks was awesome than I hit a rut as I could not construct decks to really advance up ladder. Facing people who have multiple legendaries when you are rank 18-19 is not fun. However, after using gold for 3 of the Naxxramas sections, I bought the rest myself. It enabled me to construct a hunter and zoo deck to at least and compete on ladder. I have got to rank 10 now and have started playing arena again and have averaged 5 wins over my last 5 runs.

Overall, I think for anyone starting to play, Nax is almost a must purchase. Otherwise the grind for the game is simply too long and you do not have the knowledge to make arena worth playing at the start. With the Nax cards you can at least create an okay deck to begin to learn the game so you can play arena later. The prevalence of hunter on ladder is because of its cheap dust cost. I think Blizzard could improve the system by significantly giving more dust for disenchantment or increasing the amount of dust starting players receive.
There's no way they're going to increase de value but a "starter pack" of dust sounds pretty good. Somewhere around 800, enough to grab a bunch of key commons and rares. Starting from scratch now must be harsh. I forget, do they currently give you dust at all or is it just the free pack/arena and some gold from the unique quests?

iirate

Absolutely. When I returned to the game, I had pretty much all of the epics and many core legendaries, and I still struggled to build the decks I wanted to because I hadn't unlocked the Naxx cards.

I feel like Blizzard really should be increasing the basic card pool with each expansion release. Perhaps not for adventures like Naxx, but with GvG, they really brought the mech tribe to the forefront of the game, and many of the common mechs and minions that supported them felt like they should have been added to the basic card pool. I feel like this would be the easiest way to keep the game accessible moving forward.

gutshot

There's no way they're going to increase de value but a "starter pack" of dust sounds pretty good. Somewhere around 800, enough to grab a bunch of key commons and rares. Starting from scratch now must be harsh. I forget, do they currently give you dust at all or is it just the free pack/arena and some gold from the unique quests?

You get like 80 extra dust as a hidden quest reward the first time you DE something.

Spl1nter

You get ~95 dust for disenchanting your first card. Which is really nothing when a basic deck takes 1000.

However, I think the fact that so many vital cards are in Nax is what causes the grind as well. Sludge Belcher is the best taunt in the game but requires 1600 gold to unlock. I am still unsure if it is better to recommend spending your gold at the start on packs or nax. Its almost a catch-22, the cheap decks to make (Hunter/Zoo) require Nax cards while the other decks require just alot of other expensive cards dust wise.

I think maybe a few more intermediate quests to receive packs would help.

iirate

You get ~95 dust for disenchanting your first card. Which is really nothing when a basic deck takes 1000.

However, I think the fact that so many vital cards are in Nax is what causes the grind as well. Sludge Belcher is the best taunt in the game but requires 1600 gold to unlock. I am still unsure if it is better to recommend spending your gold at the start on packs or nax. Its almost a catch-22, the cheap decks to make (Hunter/Zoo) require Nax cards while the other decks require just alot of other expensive cards dust wise.

I think maybe a few more intermediate quests to receive packs would help.

Mech mage exists outside of that catch-22, but even it isn't perfect for a starting player. The basic list really only requires 2 rares(Goblin Blastmages), and everything else that is absolutely core for it is common. The biggest problem with making the deck as a new player is that it requires commitment. You'll be crafting a ton of common mechs, and your deck doesn't really have substitutions for them in the basic pool. So while it's easy enough to get the dust together for the deck eventually, you have a relatively longer time before it begins to take shape. If GvG added some of these common mechs as new basic cards, there wouldn't be this problem and mech mage would be an excellent starting point for a brand new player.

Spl1nter

Coincidentally, I just used the dust I have gathered from arena and packs to build a mech mage deck. Obviously I dont have the legendaries for it but its pretty good. Still it is not a cheap deck as almost every card has to be crafted and for a new player 40 dust for a common card adds up quickly. But for sure it is one of the cheapest decks to create that doesnt require Nax cards. It is what I will probably recommend to my friend who just started playing to slowly build up.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
New players shouldn't worry about crafting popular meta decks or net decking. You don't have enough cards yet. Learn how to play the game and experiment with different cards first. I think you'll understand the game better if you go through a trial phase and learn from experience why magma rager and goldshire footman don't work.

And don't ever craft commons. So bad.

Spl1nter

New players shouldn't worry about crafting popular meta decks or net decking. You don't have enough cards yet. Learn how to play the game and experiment with different cards first. I think you'll understand the game better if you go through a trial phase and learn from experience why magma rager and goldshire footman don't work.

Its just not fun however, you get destroyed because you simply have worse cards than everyone else. It doesnt take long to figure out why the cards you have suck.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I wonder if Mimiron's Head would work well in a Mech Mage Deck. Maybe not, seeing as how you would need to have 3 other mechs at the start of your turn, and if thats the case you probably already won anyway.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Its just not fun however, you get destroyed because you simply have worse cards than everyone else. It doesnt take long to figure out why the cards you have suck when you have a war golem and they have a dr. boom

The lower ranks really arent as bad with legendaries as people say they are.

Just had the most ridiculous game ever.

Ended the game with 2x kel'thuzad, 2x Sylvanas, 1x Foe Reaper, and 1x Ragnaros on the board. All thanks to a mind control into a topdeck Kel Thuzad of my own.

I'm playing again after a 4 month hiatus. Someone fill me in on what happened during that time. :p

Firebat won Worlds
Goblins vs. Gnomes launch (new card type: Mechs, old cards were changed to be mechs)

Nerfs:
Leeroy now costs 5
Starving Buzzard is a 3/2 for 5
Soulfire costs 1 now
Gadgetzan costs 6 now
Flare costs 2 now

Hunter still top-tier regardless

I wasn't expecting that soul fire nerf. How big of an effect have the nerfs had? Everybody dusted Leeroy?

miracle rogue fell out of favor, soulfire wasn't that big of a deal, leeroy got outshined by all the new stuff, hunter realized it had a ton of other broken tools besides buzzard + UTH

That's basically how I've been playing. I looked up the best starter decks for each class. Got a feel for which classes I was successful with. Tried arena a few times. Now I'm just working on building my catalog and finding what cards work when and where.

I've died to more webspinner king krushes than Leroy since the nerf.

You probably aren't playing a lot of face hunter then, which is different from the usual aggressive midrange hunter which runs more sticky midrange threats.

Here is face:
twZ3Bon.png

Here is aggro/midrange types:
VrLIQbD.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom