• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT2| Created by Unstable Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tarazet

Every time I see wolfrider it feels like I stepped into a time machine.

Never forget

qlv4nOy.jpg

Celegus

When I opened the Bnet launcher, I swore I saw a download bar pop up under Hearthstone really quickly, but it was gone in under 1-2 seconds and I figured it was just a little glitch. IF it was a patch, it was super tiny.

No, there was. I had a small progress bar that said "Downloading 2 files" when I launched it this morning. Dunno what the update was though.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Sucks joining the party late and needing a whole bunch of classic cards. I got most of the GvG cards, the decent ones anyway. But all the best legendaries I want in my decks are from classic. Have to keep wasting 100 gold instead of doing arena runs :[

Probably should just buy 40-60 classic packs and call it a day.

Yeah, the urge to buy packs to "catch up" is strong. I'm in even worse shape than you are, in that I need a lot of legends and even rares and commons from classic, AND I've only opened a couple of GvsG packs so far. I've actually decided I'm going to buy classic packs for a bit first, trying to earn 100g per day to buy one pack per day. Even if I have to win 30 games per day to do it, lol.

My rational for not buying cards with real money is this: my need for cards gives me a reason to play. If I simply bought all the cards then my only goal would be reaching legend rank, and if I did that then I might lose interest and stop playing. So instead I'm traveling down the gradual path of improving my card collection daily and slowly.

VoxPop

Yeah, the urge to buy packs to "catch up" is strong. I'm in even worse shape than you are, in that I need a lot of legends and even rares and commons from classic, AND I've only opened a couple of GvsG packs so far. I've actually decided I'm going to buy classic packs for a bit first, trying to earn 100g per day to buy one pack per day. Even if I have to win 30 games per day to do it, lol.

My rational for not buying cards with real money is this: my need for cards gives me a reason to play. If I simply bought all the cards then my only goal would be reaching legend rank, and if I did that then I might lose interest and stop playing. So instead I'm traveling down the gradual path of improving my card collection daily and slowly.

Yeah I get what you mean on your stance of not spending money since it pretty much kills the need to play the game.That being said, I already spent $20 on Naxx, $20 on GvG packs, and had $50 worth of Amazon coins I got for free back in the day that I used on more GvG packs in the past 2-3 months that I've been playing.

I'm also missing the most basic of cards like Loot Hoarders, SI Agents, etc. I should have spent my dust crafting those but I used up most of my dust on Dr. Boom and Ragnaros since the only legs that packs have given me were Mogor, Nat Pagle and Shredder. Made a few epics as well.

I've managed to make a decent Shaman deck that gets me to around Rank 9-10. Still need cards like Sylvanas and just can't justify spending all my dust on class specific legendaries when I don't have the other cards to make a full deck. Slowly spending 100G at a time on classic packs but they keep giving me the same old junk. :(

Also I need to make Norzdomu for all the people who take their full turn to make a move despite it being an extremely simple decision. It's a shame it costs 9 mana to play though. Wish they "nerfed" it down to a 5-6 mana 4/4 or 5/5 card.

Norzdomu + Mogor + Sylvanas + Ysera + a bunch of taunts with divine shields sounds like a ton of fun.

Mutombo

Its okay to spend a little money for a game you like, guys.

I've spent about 25 for packs. I haven't bought Naxx (yet).

I'm trying to get better at Arena though, because that's the best way to grind gold.

I suck at Arena.

VoxPop

Its okay to spend a little money for a game you like, guys.

I've spent about 25 for packs. I haven't bought Naxx (yet).

I'm trying to get better at Arena though, because that's the best way to grind gold.

I suck at Arena.

Honestly between the packs I bought and Naxx; Naxx had the far better value.

Web Spinner
Avenge [secret]
Dark Cultist
Loatheb
Kel'Thuzad
Haunted Creeper
Sludge Belcher
Undertaker
Mad Scientist
and more are pretty essential to most decks

Fireblend

Banned
So, I've been curious about trying Hearthstone out. Any tips for someone who would like to pay entirely for free, at least for the moment? (Advice like "don't do it! It's not worth it" are super valid as well :p).

Xanathus

So, I've been curious about trying Hearthstone out. Any tips for someone who would like to pay entirely for free, at least for the moment? (Advice like "don't do it! It's not worth it" are super valid as well :p).

There's some info in the OP though I have no idea how updated it is. Only advice is:
Do your daily quests for gold, you can reroll one quest a day if you get a quest that you dislike or is hard to complete.
Don't spend on gold on packs, arena has generally better returns as long as you can get at least 3 wins. At worst you get the same value as if you had bought a pack with 100 gold.
If you want to spend money, first thing you should do is buy the Naxxramas adventure thing.

Strider

To add to Xanathus... Play the bots first as well. Beating the bots for every class unlocks that class for yourself. Also beating the bots on normal and expert gives you extra gold.

gutshot

DOs:

-Level all classes to 10
-Beat all the AI on expert
-Use your gold to buy packs (at a 2:1 classic to GvG ratio)
-Watch educational streamers like Trump or Kibler

DON'Ts:

-Dust or craft anything yet
-Jump into arena without having a good understanding of the basics of the game and arena drafting strategies
-Buy packs with real money (if you are going to use real money, spend it on Naxx first)
-Be discouraged if you lose a lot at first, just keep playing and keep learning

johnsmith

remember me
Kripp is terrible. He's neither educational or entertaining. Every time I've tried watching him he just sits there playing without saying anything. Half the time he mutes the stream while he eats. There are tons better arena streamers like Ratsmah.

VoxPop

It's probably the only game I play on a regular basis nowadays.

You can easily only play a game a day (which I guarantee you won't :p) which take roughly 10-15 min each.

You don't need to pay for anything. It's just a pretty long grind to get what you need so if anything you only pay to save time. All the packs and the expansion is purchasable with in game gold.

I'd say you play through the tutorial then go straight into practice mode to unlock every class' basic cards which should be at level 15 (?)

You can decide after that if you want to keep playing or not

Mengy

Yeah I get what you mean on your stance of not spending money since it pretty much kills the need to play the game.That being said, I already spent $20 on Naxx, $20 on GvG packs, and had $50 worth of Amazon coins I got for free back in the day that I used on more GvG packs in the past 2-3 months that I've been playing.

I'm also missing the most basic of cards like Loot Hoarders, SI Agents, etc. I should have spent my dust crafting those but I used up most of my dust on Dr. Boom and Ragnaros since the only legs that packs have given me were Mogor, Nat Pagle and Shredder. Made a few epics as well.

I bought Naxx but that's it so far. I felt justified in buying Naxx because:

1) I was guaranteed to get good cards that I can use
2) it was fun content that I enjoyed a lot
3) completing the heroic challenges will keep me busy for a real long time, and I want that Naxx card back!

Naxx was worth the money to me. Helped make all of my decks stronger.

Like you though I am still missing basic cards that I want. I keep seeing Harvest Golems in many player's decks and I want them too, but I still don't have even one. Same with Knife Jugglers and some rare class cards. So I need to earn classic packs yet, lots of packs I'd wager.

VoxPop

I bought Naxx but that's it so far. I felt justified in buying Naxx because:

1) I was guaranteed to get good cards that I can use
2) it was fun content that I enjoyed a lot
3) completing the heroic challenges will keep me busy for a real long time, and I want that Naxx card back!

Naxx was worth the money to me. Helped make all of my decks stronger.

Like you though I am still missing basic cards that I want. I keep seeing Harvest Golems in many player's decks and I want them too, but I still don't have even one. Same with Knife Jugglers and some rare class cards. So I need to earn classic packs yet, lots of packs I'd wager.

Yeah Knife Juggler is something I need to put my dust towards. I actually ended up just crafting two Harvest Golems.

Lol why do people pick Fel Reaver for arena? I understand its great value for 5 mana but when I make you discard your entire deck in 2 turns with a bunch of 1 mana spells, followed up with a shadow word: death as my last one, it must leave quite a sour taste in their mouth.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"

Well, even if you bought all the cards, you'd still have gold cards and gold portraits to work towards.

The temptation to buy cards is too stronk. If you really like the game I almost guarantee you that you'll buy packs now and again.

Also you should almost never craft commons and only craft rares occasionally. At some point you'll get to where you open a pack and you get nothing but dupes. Very easy to get dupes of commons and rares. Dust is much better spent on epics and legendaries.

Mengy

Also you should almost never craft commons and only craft rares occasionally. At some point you'll get to where you open a pack and you get nothing but dupes. Very easy to get dupes of commons and rares. Dust is much better spent on epics and legendaries.

Yep, I know I'll reach that point eventually. I've got 300 dust saved up now and I'm just going to keep banking it until I have all of the commons and most of the rares. Once I reach that point then I'll start looking to craft any missing rares or legends.

I figure if I do one daily per day every day, then on the days I get a 40g quest I need to win 18 games to reach 100g for a pack, and on the days I get a 60g quest I need to win 12 games to reach that 100g price per pack point. Realistically I can't play that much every day, so I'm figuring I can probably earn 3 or 4 packs per week at most. That's 156 packs per year, or 780 cards per year. So, in a year's time frame, assuming they don't add any more expansions or cards, I should be sitting with a very decent card collection.

Yep, this will take time, LOL.

Taz

Been playing since beta and only purchased Naxx and one pack to get the Gold beta Legendary, stopped when I sold my ipad for a long time and started again when it works on android phones, after I quit with my ipad I dusted every card I had then remade cards and dusted those so it was like starting fresh(which I regret).

I would definitely buy Naxx, I would then look online at free Naxx decks for every class(for dailys)and after you've got the basics down I would choose a class you like and create a deck for that class.

I would then save up 300 gold and buy two normal and one GvG and keep doing this till you have some decent cards and some game basics and then try your free Arena run.

Embearded

I just stopped playing after 3 hours for the first time. The game is amazing and rewarding even if you play with the CPU. Every match I've played seemed different and it didn't get boring. That feeling when you open a pack and you see a rare card! :D
I just hope it doesn't get pay to win after a while. I never pay for packs and stuff in games and i won't do it with Hearthstone too.

A bit disappointing that you need a 6" device for Andoird version. My phone is 5" and I don't have a tablet...

Will read the OT when I get home.

Taz

I just stopped playing after 3 hours for the first time. The game is amazing and rewarding even if you play with the CPU. Every match I've played seemed different and it didn't get boring. That feeling when you open a pack and you see a rare card! :D
I just hope it doesn't get pay to win after a while. I never pay for packs and stuff in games and i won't do it with Hearthstone too.

A bit disappointing that you need a 6" device for Andoird version. My phone is 5" and I don't have a tablet...

It's not pay to win it's more pay to variety, a basic Rush/face hunter/ZooLock can get you to Legendary and the cost of those decks are 500-800 dust.

I play off my galaxy s4 pretty well. You can basically sideload the android tablet version. The only problems I have noticed is that a few animations take longer (blizzard animation takes several seconds longer than normal) and it is difficult to use chat on.

There is a reddit thread about how to do it.

ZealousD

That's 156 packs per year, or 780 cards per year. So, in a year's time frame, assuming they don't add any more expansions or cards, I should be sitting with a very decent card collection.

That's less cards than you'd think, most of those are going to be dupes.

Found some interesting bug while playing. Throw down a Pyromancer and cloak it with a Spare Part, it'll automatically lose stealth. Going to assume it's from the effect trigger.

ZealousD

Found some interesting bug while playing. Throw down a Pyromancer and cloak it with a Spare Part, it'll automatically lose stealth. Going to assume it's from the effect trigger.

Anytime a card attacks or deals damage, It loses stealth. That's as intended.

gutshot

Finally got my first random friend request. Guy was pretty nice though, just wanted to laugh about how lucky it was when a Fel Cannon spawned from my Sky Golem when I was playing as mech druid. Good times.

Also unpacked a Leeroy. Guess I'll throw him in my hunter deck and pretend it is summer 2014.

I'm really curious to see what the iOS and other small-display versions of Hearthstone are going to look like.

Just got an iPad the other day and it's great on it. I can't even imagine how deep the addiction could run if I could play on my phone. And yeah, probably some tough challenges fitting it for the smaller screen.

Taz

I'm really curious to see what the iOS and other small-display versions of Hearthstone are going to look like.

I play it in my Sony Z3C and it's runs and looks great no issues with txt or anything makes me wonder what the delay is for an official release because it works just fine.

FeD.nL

I should not be playing arena. Finally draft a mage with 3 flamestrikes and a blizzard... ofcourse get 18 cards deep not one flamestrike to be seen nor a blizzard.

ViviOggi

I should not be playing arena. Finally draft a mage with 3 flamestrikes and a blizzard... ofcourse get 18 cards deep not one flamestrike to be seen nor a blizzard.
Lately every time I get to draft a decent Mage deck I face some unreal 10+ decks in my first few matches. I usually manage to salvage it and go 6 or 7 but it's getting frustrating.

Embearded

It's not pay to win it's more pay to variety, a basic Rush/face hunter/ZooLock can get you to Legendary and the cost of those decks are 500-800 dust.

OK thanks! That's good I guess! :)
I really don't want it to become pay to win..

I play off my galaxy s4 pretty well. You can basically sideload the android tablet version. The only problems I have noticed is that a few animations take longer (blizzard animation takes several seconds longer than normal) and it is difficult to use chat on.

There is a reddit thread about how to do it.

That's so nice!! I will try it on my coolpad f1 w8297 and report back.

BashNasty

Interesting to read all the reluctance to spending real money on Hearthstone here. I've probably spent around $200 on the game and I have no regrets. Opening packs is tons of fun and I play more than enough Hearthstone to justify the cost. Couldn't imagine trying to build a decent collection of cards going totally free to play.

If rogue ditched deadly poison, I wonder what could possibly take its place...

Maybe perdition's blade would work.

184px-Perdition's_Blade(82)_Gold.png

I've always kinda been a fan of this card but could never make it work in a deck that isn't trash vs control decks.

Maybe it is time to bust out the perdition's blade again. The first hit is still like a deadly poison'd weapon. Still costs 3 mana. Sometimes getting more impact due to combo. In some ways even more impactful than deadly poison against aggro. 5 attack with sword oil, good enough on that front. Gonna have to give it a spin.

johnsmith

remember me
Decided to craft a gold Baron Geddon just because I got a warrior daily quest. Half my legendaries in my warrior deck are gold. Probably a waste of dust. Oh well. at least the new rank 1 legend priest deck is running him too.

Kripp is terrible. He's neither educational or entertaining. Every time I've tried watching him he just sits there playing without saying anything. Half the time he mutes the stream while he eats. There are tons better arena streamers like Ratsmah.

I'll stick up for him.

He streams for a long time each day, so yes he does need to eat. He also does the whinging thing after games, but clearly that is his "act" because his viewers lap it up.

But by and large he'll talk about what is going on and is informative, especially when he is not just grinding arena but is trying out a deck or watching somebody else play. He has been doing that a lot lately and it is entertaining to me.

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard
I struggle to figure out how he can be constantly and eternally flabbergasted. Every waking moment is a baffling surprise.

"I can't believe it's morning again" / "the toast burned itself out of spite" / "that guy got the perfect parking space I was going for" / "of course he won, officer, his car is faster than mine, wait what do you mean speeding ticket"

embalm

Decided to craft a gold Baron Geddon just because I got a warrior daily quest. Half my legendaries in my warrior deck are gold. Probably a waste of dust. Oh well. at least the new rank 1 legend priest deck is running him too.

Control Priest are running Baron, so not a terrible choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom