• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT2| Created by Unstable Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.

gutshot

I think even with better beasts in the card pool it would still be unplayable as-is. It needs to be like Captain's Parrot and read "Put a random beast from your deck into your hand. It costs (X) less" where X can be whatever the designers feel is balanced. I mean, it's called Call Pet, for goodness sake.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
The problem is you're running suboptimal cards to... make this other suboptimal card less suboptimal. The tradeoff here just isn't worth it if you're looking the build the strongest possible deck a class can have.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Going to save up all my arena packs until the next xpac comes out and I need the dust. I wonder how many I'll be able to get. Up to 15 now in the last week. If it's really going to be until summer for the next content I'm hoping for 100 packs at least.

The main thing they've noted in interviews is that they're trying to figure out the right pace to release cards.

I can't imagine the answer is "less frequently," so the debate is presumably about whether or not they should increase the rate they're releasing them at.

I could see every four months happening with like 60-70 cards twice a year and a singleplayer expansion in the middle of Summer.

Certainly you should have more beaats in your deck when using Call Pet. How could you forget kodo. Of course you're not just swapping it into the current midrange deck. That would be dumb. It's the same as casting nerfed flare now but with a more consistent upside. Getting a 1 mana kodo or 2 mana highmane is a pretty good win condition component. I didn't run Crush in my call pet deck. I did run a rhino and Gahz. I haven't played it in awhile, but it was a fun deck. My deathwing deck was a variant of it.

That 1 mana Kodo isn't really a 1 mana Kodo, it's a 2 card 3 mana Kodo. My point is that, yes, you would have to run it in a specifically designed beast deck, but most beasts suck. And Call Pet costs 2 mana, so reducing the cost of a random beast by 4 mana is really only saving you 2 mana at the cost of a card, and that's only if the beast that you draw costs more than 2. If the beast you draw costs 2 or less, you get no mana savings. And then you have to take into consideration that Call Pet can whiff and pull a spell, weapon, or a non-beast minion, meaning you just wasted two mana. The risk is significant, the payoff (usually) isn't that great, and the deck that you'd have to play it in is weak compared to others that Hunters can run.

So didn't Ben Brode say not a week ago that undertaker doesn't deserve a nerf? And now it's being nerfed?

There was an interview where they said they didn't plan on nerfing him, but they were still watching. By the time that interview was posted, things had changed. Ben Brode actually posted on the forums stating that the interview was old and they were still possible that undertaker would be nerfed. That was odd since ben brode never posts on the official forums, but people were saying that blizzard would never nerf undertaker based on the interview so I guess he wanted to clear up that those people were in fact twisting their words and changes could happen at any moment. That was like a week ago or something.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
God Blizz needs to implement auto end turn when you can't make any more moves. Fuck people who needlessly draw out the timer on purpose.

God Blizz needs to implement auto end turn when you can't make any more moves. Fuck people who needlessly draw out the timer on purpose.

For some reason I ran into a couple people who did this last night but it isn't the norm. But one guy... this guy was playing a fatigue mage deck. He had 16 minutes of time wasted compared to my 6-7. I just ended up conceding instead of having like a 50/50 chance to win over the next 5-6 turns, I just didn't want to wait another 10 minutes just to win or lose a single match cause of this guy. My next match I won in literally 2 minutes since the druid saw the writing on the wall after I killed his innervated DOTC + shade in such spectacular fashion, lol.

JSR_Cube

This is why I play on the iPad in front of the TV or whatever. If I had to sit at my computer and wait for people, I would stab my own eyes out.

And as for the nerf, I'm happy to embrace it. It affects a deck that I use quite regularly but I think that the card was overpowered for sure.

Magnus

It's amazing how much one card can enhance and transform the way you play. Finally having Sylvanas really feels like it's rounded out my priest. Having so much fun with just my one main class, after all these months. Can't wait to begin delving into the others more soon. My packs have been yielding fun rares and epics for all of them, and the one legendary too (Al'akir). Shame Shaman seem to be lower end right now.

In Arena yesterday, my opponent played Shade of Naxxramas and hero power. I played a Stampeding Kodo. Next turn, he played another Shade of Naxxramas and some 3-attack minion. I played my 2nd (of 3 total) Kodo.

RIP Shade. In one of my matches, I played all 3 Kodo (killing 3 different minions) and then Panda'd one back to my hand to kill a 4th. The value was palpable.

After this priest annoyingly stole my sylvanas via thoughtsteal, he had the nerve to complain about unstable portal RNG. lol

It got me a turn 4 malorne.

Also, he played his sylvanas into mirror entity and then power word shielded his own ><

Celegus

Hearthstone is practically my workout regime. You can do a ton of squats, pushups, burpees, etc while waiting for someone to take their turn. Granted I use a standing desk, so I'm not sure getting out of your chair every time is a great option. Maybe get some hand weights?

Hearthstone is practically my workout regime. You can do a ton of squats, pushups, burpees, etc while waiting for someone to take their turn. Granted I use a standing desk, so I'm not sure getting out of your chair every time is a great option. Maybe get some hand weights?

I tried to play while riding a stationary bike but made so many misplays.

I think worst things can happen then getting a legendary from unstable portal... like getting FON+SR + board on turn 6 from a ramp druid.

I started running Onyxia in Ramp Druid with FoN+SR combo, and I've had some pretty funny results so far.

I was playing against a Shaman, he has Dr. Boom (no bots left) and a totem, I play Onyxia and get 6 Welps. He plays Ferral Spirits, a totem, a free Sea Giant, then Rockbiter Axe on Boom and kills Onyxia. So I swipe one of his Ferral Spirits then Savage Roar twice. That's 4 attack on my hero, and 30 from my Welps.

Another game I played against a Control Warrior and got out Troggzor. He was down to two cards, so he had to play Shield Block, giving me a Burly Rockjaw Trogg, then he plays some small minion, armors, and passes. He has like 45 combined health and armor at this point. I kill the minion with Troggzor and hit face with the Trogg and hero power. He plays Alexstrasza on me, knocking me down to 15 from 16 (Oh No!) and passes. I use BGH on Alex and hit face some more. He equips a Fiery War Axe and plays Gromm. Gromm finishes off my Troggzor and he kills the BGH. I finish off Gromm with the Trogg and drop Onyxia onto an empty board. He plays a Shieldmaiden and armors. I run three of my Welps into the Shieldmaiden to make room for FoN, then play SR. He immediately concedes.

JesseZao

That 1 mana Kodo isn't really a 1 mana Kodo, it's a 2 card 3 mana Kodo. My point is that, yes, you would have to run it in a specifically designed beast deck, but most beasts suck. And Call Pet costs 2 mana, so reducing the cost of a random beast by 4 mana is really only saving you 2 mana at the cost of a card, and that's only if the beast that you draw costs more than 2. If the beast you draw costs 2 or less, you get no mana savings. And then you have to take into consideration that Call Pet can whiff and pull a spell, weapon, or a non-beast minion, meaning you just wasted two mana. The risk is significant, the payoff (usually) isn't that great, and the deck that you'd have to play it in is weak compared to others that Hunters can run.

It's not "wasted." It's still a cantrip.

That moment when you have Cho and Sky Golem on the board and he uses Force of Nature to get rid of both just to see the Skygolem summon a Cult Master.

Magnus

The extra RNG introduced in GvG has added a lot of fun to the game for me, personally. I get a thrill out of crazy and unexpected things happening in the game, even if they're happening against me, lol.

I should make a crazy RNG deck using my new Blingtron...

Are any classes as conducive to Mechs as Mages are?

Also, what would be the next great minion type to introduce in the next adventure/expansion you think? Undead?

JesseZao

The extra RNG introduced in GvG has added a lot of fun to the game for me, personally. I get a thrill out of crazy and unexpected things happening in the game, even if they're happening against me, lol.

I should make a crazy RNG deck using my new Blingtron...

Are any classes as conducive to Mechs as Mages are?

Also, what would be the next great minion type to introduce in the next adventure/expansion you think? Undead?

Rogue has some good mechs/mech synergy. I like MetalTooth/Enhanco Hunter, but it's pretty feast or famine depending if you can get your board to stick.

Dragons could use some fleshing out. Flying types or Sea Creatures? Undead could be cool too.

Raxus

Rogue has some good mechs/mech synergy. I like MetalTooth/Enhanco Hunter, but it's pretty feast or famine depending if you can get your board to stick.

Dragons could use some fleshing out. Flying types or Sea Creatures? Undead could be cool too.

Or, I dunno. Goblins and Gnomes?

Magnus

iDLFdrN.png

The dream. I love Shaman.

I very nearly successfully killed my Sylvanas while two of the Kel'thuzads were up. Fuck. This was Overkill enough.

Magnus

Lmao

Did you use Reincarnation on Kel or something?

I foolishly had my Kel out solo without too much of a formed plan, but I had Ancestral Spirit in hand. Dude silenced my Kel but didn't kill it.

I drew Reincarnation. So, I cast Ancestral on it to add the deathrattle resummon, then cast Reinc. Reinc brought 1 back, the deathrattle brought back a second. Then, because 1 Kel had 'died' that turn, and 2 were alive to proc their effect, that 1 was resurrected twice at end of turn.

Boom, 4 Kels.

lolz

I was really hoping to have Sylvanas alive for this nonsense too so I could duplicate her as well, and earlier, I had Baron Rivendare out hoping he'd survive until the turn when I'd pull all the shenanigans for double deathrattles, lol.

CoolOff

I had hopes of reaching legend this season, but after being up and turning at high 3s, I'm now back to low 5. Why can't I just find a deck that counters everything, why are these tiers so diverse at the moment? D:

Szadek

I had hopes of reaching legend this season, but after being up and turning at high 3s, I'm now back to low 5. Why can't I just find a deck that counters everything, why are these tiers so diverse at the moment? D:
Dropping a few ranks is normal.Just stick to one deck and don't use techs that are only good against a few decks.

JesseZao

Well that was a fun finish.

Enemy hunter at 21hp.

He had a bow and Belcher on board.

My turn 7: I drop Gahz'Rilla. (If he leaves it alone I can clear with my Pyro/Hunter'sMark/ArcaneShot

His turn: He casts Animal Companion and gets Misha (oh no! two taunts!), plays a trap (welp, frozen rruins my day) then Hero Powers.

My turn 8: I draw Unleash. Wait...I can clear! I Unleash and test for Freezing. It's Freezing. I throw down my TimberWolf and run the other dog into Misha to bring it down to 2hp. I play Pyro and Mark the Belcher. Then I Arcane shot the Ooze. aaand finally I crush his face with Gahz for 24 dmg! Boom!

Pooya

it's kinda funny how people fall for Venture Co. Mercenary still, it can be hard to counter early on but damn don't drop all of your good shit on it, lol. it's been pretty effective with my mage build to clear the way for my real force. only one opponent managed in the past week to screw me back with it and nobody else uses it...

Rolled a Total Domination quest today, so I took my Ramp Druid out to get it done. I went 7-3. The final boss was a zookeeper that pulled off some Enhance-o-mechano bullshit. I don't have time for this garbage, zookeeper.

tw1LkZC.jpg

Turns out a 4 mana baron geddon from unstable portal is good even against control priest. Just held onto it for a moment where the 2 damage aoe wrecked their board but made mine relatively safe. I took out a damaged dark cultist and a shrinkmeister for free, while my piloted sky golem survived... and had enough mana to play a duplicate and that ended up getting me 2 more golems, my spawn from golem was out of auchenai circle range and his auchenai would die for free from baron geddon. He conceded after that.

I thought unstable portal would be OP, and I do feel like it is strong and most of the time I get value out of it, but I don't think its OP. It does have the sort of RNG that can be frustrating to face against though. But the strength is just about as good as innervate due to the range of randomness involved.

Baron Geddon is one of the classic legendary cards I want to craft still. Along with ysera, antonidas, jaraxxus...

----

As for new tribals. I wouldn't mind seeing dragons used a bit more, but they better focus the majority of new dragons in the midrange imo. There are quite a few dragons at high cost but few 3-6 cost dragons. Then again, they should add more variety to high cost minions.

Man I love running MCTech just for those times it wins me the game. Stole a out of 6 possible minions a handlocks taunted and buffed Mountain Giant enabling me to win. The salt was real.

Miletius

Man I love running MCTech just for those times it wins me the game. Stole a out of 6 possible minions a handlocks taunted and buffed Mountain Giant enabling me to win. The salt was real.

Agreed. Was facing a super aggro mage last game. MCTech stole his Tinkertown Tech (with rusty horn). Sapped his snowchugger. He has 2 mechwarpers left. He throws down the snowchugger, harvest golem and an azure drake, doesn't attack the tinkertown with his mechwarpers.

Pop Golem, play Azure Drake, Backstab his drake, Prep to FoK into Blade flurry, and his board is clean, I have the tech and an SI from last turn. Went from a total loss to a win in 2 turns. Mage tries to recover but has no juice left.

I just beat an echo mage who played 4 molten giants and 6 healbots, both ice blocks, and alexstrasza.

I had to deal about 100 damage to win the game, not including damage absorbed or wasted due to ice block. Oh and he got healed by my zombie chow so even more than that. Probably above 100 damage.

His line of twilight drakes got wrecked by flamestrike. His first molten giant I removed manually. Then he healed about 4 times. Later when I finally had him down to 6 again (this is after 6 healbots), with ice block up, he played his second molten giant and alexstrasza's himself. I popped ice block that turn with ease. I used BGH on his molten giant, instead of giving him additional alexstraszas via duplicate, it seemed okay... I also have MCT in hand. I fireball alexstrasza for 8 damage.

Next turn he plays a second ice block, mountain giant, 2 molten giants. No taunts but that sorta made sense since he is at 1hp with ice block against a mage. I MCT and it kills a giant (my board is full lol), fireball another one, kill off the third, and pop ice block. All he has is an explosive sheep...

That was a pretty crazy match.

Agreed. Was facing a super aggro mage last game. MCTech stole his Tinkertown Tech (with rusty horn). Sapped his snowchugger. He has 2 mechwarpers left. He throws down the snowchugger, harvest golem and an azure drake, doesn't attack the tinkertown with his mechwarpers.

Pop Golem, play Azure Drake, Backstab his drake, Prep to FoK into Blade flurry, and his board is clean, I have the tech and an SI from last turn. Went from a total loss to a win in 2 turns. Mage tries to recover but has no juice left.

The only thing I hate about mech mage is antonidas shenanigans. I hate when they get a stealthed antonidas. Pretty lame.

edit:

Brian Kibler's thoughts on UT nerf-
http://bmkgaming.com/burying-undertaker-thoughts-nerf/

short excerpt:
The short version is that I&#8217;m very much in favor of the change. I&#8217;ve felt like Undertaker has been a problem ever since it was released. I said as much in my commentary about the Starving Buzzard and Leeroy Jenkins nerfs all the way back in September. Hearthstone&#8217;s game engine is one that naturally tends toward the snowballing of early advantages due to the direct attacking system, and Undertaker in its original form allowed for that snowball to start rolling as early as the first turn of the game. I have played many games in which my opponent coined out a first turn Undertaker along with another deathrattle minion and I just knew the game was over on the spot because I couldn&#8217;t deal with it right away &#8211; and I am sure I&#8217;m not alone in that.

I just drafted a Paladin deck with 3 Muster for Battle, 3 Truesilver, 3 Consecration, and 2 Hammer of Justice. No Equality, no Quartermaster, and no Wild Pyromancer. I feel like mistakes were made in this drafting process.

EDIT: I made a cameo in Jail's post.

I've played this game for a year and never raged at it...but man, fuck fatigue mage. It's just the opposite of fun.

Edit: oh cool next game is fatigue druid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom