• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT2| Created by Unstable Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minsc

Gold Member
The only thing I hate about mech mage is antonidas shenanigans. I hate when they get a stealthed antonidas. Pretty lame

Welcome to my last Arena match. :(

My opponent had a Antonidas into that stealth spare part on turn 8. Turn 9 Flamestrike of course, for a board clear too, just to be sure I had no hope of rushing him down. Yeah, this is Arena for you. And this is on top of a turn 2 Mad Scientist (that pulls duplicate) to a turn 3 Acolyte of Pain. Hope they enjoy their 12 wins.

Nothing but hunters today, I guess people are out to get value out of their undertakers before the nerf.

Having a really bad druid day for some reason, not just because of the hunter spam. I think I'll throw in 2 piloted shredders and try to make room for azure drakes, because I often end up with a ramp and nothing good to play or ramp out something without a followup play. I'm beginning to think that innervating out an azure drake is actually better than doing it with a druid of the claw or even a sludge belcher, just because you get a card back and your opponent needs to use resources to remove it anyways.

Strider

I've played this game for a year and never raged at it...but man, fuck fatigue mage. It's just the opposite of fun.

Edit: oh cool next game is fatigue druid

Both fatigue mage and freeze mage get an instant concede from me once I see that's what I'm up against. Win or lose it's not fun to play against at all and I don't care about ladder that much.

Both fatigue mage and freeze mage get an instant concede from me once I see that's what I'm up against. Win or lose it's not fun to play against at all and I don't care about ladder that much.

I hate playing against those decks because it's so frustrating, but it feels SO GOOD when you finally beat them. Fuck your annoying stall tactics, I'm still bashing your face in.

Magnus

Nothing like a fucking Deathlord with Velen's Chosen, PW:Shield and Inner Fire to ruin a fucking asshole Face Hunter.

VICTORY

Rank 11. Never done this well before.

br3wnor

I've played this game for a year and never raged at it...but man, fuck fatigue mage. It's just the opposite of fun.

Edit: oh cool next game is fatigue druid

Played a mill Druid last night and man was it frustrating. I was control warrior and knew what was up early so I made sure to play cards every turn, got him to 8 hp with me at 30hp+15 armor. I have no cards left so I start gaining fatigue, whatever I got this in the bag right? Nope, he drops healbot, brewmaster, healbot then finally his last healbot as his last card. He finally hits fatigue but I'm at 6+ damage a turn at that point from fatigue with only 2 low attach minions on the board, so I had to rage quit.

How much time do you think you spend playing on ladder to reach legendary? I probably cash in 5 to 15 hours a week on ladder and have never hit legendary.

To reach legendary each season? That takes me about 8-20 hours of playing based on the current meta, this season it took me around 20 hours but last season when mechmage was new I was able to get legend in about 8 hours.

To be honest the hardest part has been trying to get to top 100 for those blizzard tournament points.but you only get 1 point for 50-100 so I want to end the season top 25 if possible.

On another note if anyone on here wants to add me for games/chat send me a friend request EscapingJail#1496 (Im NA). 1v1 games can get lonely!

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I don't think I'll be able to get Legend unless the upper ranks suddenly become super easy, I'm only upto Rank 5. Do you think its still possible to do with something like Mech Mage, or is this the point where I would have to really pull out a custom deck?

I'm still not totally happy with my Mech mage variation, maybe I'll put Boom back in. Sylvanas often doesn't provide enough value in the deck, and Loatheb never really did anything for me. Antonidas is great though, he gives a solid backup in case the game drags on a bit. Maybe just something that gives card draw would be good.

Magnus

I don't think I'll be able to get Legend unless the upper ranks suddenly become super easy, I'm only upto Rank 5. Do you think its still possible to do with something like Mech Mage, or is this the point where I would have to really pull out a custom deck?

I keep running out of steam mid-late game with Mech Mage. I really need Antonidas to make it work.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Can you get >50% win rate?

Yes - You can get to legend
No - No legend for you

It's not about which deck you're using, but how well you pilot it and how patient you are.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist

No - No legend for you

It's not about which deck you're using, but how well you pilot it and how patient you are.

Maybe I'll reset tracking and see. I know you can get to 5 with Under 50%, but I'm not too sure where I sit at the moment.

I'm still not totally happy with my Mech mage variation, maybe I'll put Boom back in. Sylvanas often doesn't provide enough value in the deck, and Loatheb never really did anything for me. Antonidas is great though, he gives a solid backup in case the game drags on a bit. Maybe just something that gives card draw would be good.

You have to play around the meta. As of right now people are playing more greedy decks because hunters (Undertakers) are getting nerfed. So playing hunter is doing really well in the current meta (Today). But tomorrow the ladder meta could be completely different.

Once you get to rank 3-4 the ladder meta becomes closer to what the legend meta currently is, and to answer your custom deck question if you arent good at deckbuilding pick up a popular deck and try it as is and then make some edits based on what you are playing against.

right now I'm playing Naiman's hunter (Unedited) and it's doing me pretty well.
sKWfuzr.jpg
http://www.hearthpwn.com/decks/180702-1-legendary-hunter-naiman-super-me

iirate

I won a game yesterday(as midrange lock vs control priest) two turns into fatigue, with 1 health, no board, and zero cards remaining. It was probably the most satisfying match I've ever played.

I don't normally like warlock, but the midrange list over on hearthpwn is actually pretty fun.

ViviOggi

Kolento took EU rank 1 with Mech Mage last night but he's a genius so ymmv

I won a game yesterday(as midrange lock vs control priest) two turns into fatigue, with 1 health, no board, and zero cards remaining. It was probably the most satisfying match I've ever played.

I don't normally like warlock, but the midrange list over on hearthpwn is actually pretty fun.
Is that a demon list? I want someone to finally figure out Demonlock so I have an excuse to craft Mal'Ganis

Strider

On another note if anyone on here wants to add me for games/chat send me a friend request EscapingJail#1496 (Im NA). 1v1 games can get lonely!

We need to get a bunch of posters here to start using mumble chat again while we play. I mean a Hearthstone section was made in the server and everything :p

No - No legend for you

Pretty much. For me I feel like I could get legend it would just be a crazy grind until I improve some more. This month I got to 4 for example and was there for a loooong time, maybe gaining a star each day. My winrate was literally like 51-52%.

I finally said fuck it, put on some silly decks and I'll just try again next month. I'm now down to 6 kinda wishing I hadn't done that :/

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
undertaker nerf is live

enjoy no more hunters in ladder

Xanathus

inb4 everyone starts playing handlock and some guy just keeps playing face hunter and gets rank 1 legend

edit: undertaker still isn't nerfed for me on NA

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I don't like the timing, I feel they should have waited the 2 to 3 more days to push the update when the new season is live. I guess I feel small patches like this should only be done at the same time as ladder resets.

Haly

Or never close the game so your Undertakers will always be the best.

Magnus

The deck I'm currently rolling with. Having fun, and having a bunch of success, though I can't seem to get past Rank 11. 50% win rate, on the dot. Win 1, lose 1, ish.

Any suggestions?

I know the first comments might be to remove the Inner Fire and Deathlords, but the Deathlords have done so much to ward off aggro decks, and the Inner Fire has turned them, or PW:S/Velen'd minions into powerhouses that have dominated plenty of games for me. Open to all suggestions, though.

z6Yhzko.png

The deck I'm currently rolling with. Having fun, and having a bunch of success, though I can't seem to get past Rank 11. 50% win rate, on the dot. Win 1, lose 1, ish.

Any suggestions?

I know the first comments might be to remove the Inner Fire and Deathlords, but the Deathlords have done so much to ward off aggro decks, and the Inner Fire has turned them, or PW:S/Velen'd minions into powerhouses that have dominated plenty of games for me. Open to all suggestions, though.

Replace deathlords and inner fire with 2x Wild Pyromancer and 1X Light of the Naaru

Edit: I also just realized you aren't running dark cultist. That card is also really important in all priest decks.

Congrats! Would be cool to have a gaffer to root for.

Thanks man

gutshot

A finance reporter for Yahoo apparently has an inside source at Activision/Blizzard. This source dropped some tidbits about Hearthstone:

The insider says Hearthstone numbers “are off the charts.” The next expansion is due to come out in April and will be more PvE focused. The team is also experimenting with a 2 vs. 2 version. Stunningly Hearthstone has now passed the 75 million players milestone.

http://firstadopter.tumblr.com/post/109489028909/exclusive-activision-blizzard-insider-says

Yeah, going to echo EscapingJail here. Wild Pyro do work for Priests, it's ridiculous. You just have to make sure you do math well or you'll a rough time.

Also, congrats on the Legend ranks as well.

Magnus

Replace deathlords and inner fire with 2x Wild Pyromancer and 1X Light of the Naaru

Edit: I also just realized you aren't running dark cultist. That card is also really important in all priest decks.

Thanks man

Pyromancers have always been described as priest essentials to me, but aside from magically perfect situations where I have just the right spells to annihilate a zoo, they end up being useless for me, and no better than a vanilla 3/2. I don't know. It feels too situational to me. I'm not doing it right, I'm sure. Hitting my own minions for 1 opens up Cleric-COH for big card draw, I guess.

I can't get the mojo going with Cultists either. People always manage to successfully play around it and waste its Deathrattle.

What would you drop in my deck for 2 of each minion?

It feels like playing unexpected cards has really thrown off opponents, which has been fun. They never seem to see Velen's Chosen or Lightbomb coming.

edit-

So, drop the Deathlords and Inner Fire for say, 2 Pyros and 1 Cultist?

edit2-

Oh wow, Light of the Naaru has totally flown under my radar. And it can interact with Auchenai, and killing something with it still qualifies as 'target still damaged' summoning a Lightwarden? lol. A little broken. I'll have to try it out.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I always find it ammusing when people give up super early. The durid in my last game gave up before I did a single port of damage after mirror entity popped.

embalm

Any suggestions?

I would be curious about how it plays and what is losing the games for you.

You have loads of removal. Shadow madness, holy nova, light bomb, SW:D, Auch Circle, and Mind Control is a lot.
I would look into Vol'Jin who acts as removal + minion to replace one of your SW:D.

Do the Deathlords getting killed lose you the game? Wild Pyros + Light of Naaru or Holy Bolt can offer some good removal options against aggro.

Do you have hard time drawing into your combos? The gnomish inventor has a 2/4 body that makes a good target for Velens Chosen. Light of the Naaru can also combo with Northshire and Blademaster for card draw.

I can't get the mojo going with Cultists either. People always manage to successfully play around it and waste its Deathrattle.
If your Cultist is dropped before the death rattle that is just as good. Usually the opponent has to reach a little to take it out because it has great stats. If they are using tools to eliminate the Cultist that is one fewer tool they have against your other drops. Then when it's deathrattle is triggered is the bees knees.

You have loads of removal. Shadow madness, holy nova, light bomb, SW:D, Auch Circle, and Mind Control is a lot.
I would look into Vol'Jin who acts as removal + minion to replace one of your SW:D.

Do the Deathlords getting killed lose you the game? Wild Pyros + Light of Naaru or Holy Bolt can offer some good removal options against aggro.

Do you have hard time drawing into your combos? The gnomish inventor has a 2/4 body that makes a good target for Velens Chosen. Light of the Naaru can also combo with Northshire and Blademaster for card draw.

I'd imagine the strategy with deathlord can just add more fuel for lightbomb to burn. I wonder how that works out.

He should probably consider zombie chow if he is running velen's chosen.

ViviOggi

You'll definitely want two Cultists, it's one of if not the best 3-drop in the game when played on curve. I'd probably drop Velen's or just include a single Pyro.

Magnus

If your Cultist is dropped before the death rattle that is just as good. Usually the opponent has to reach a little to take it out because it has great stats. If they are using tools to eliminate the Cultist that is one fewer tool they have against your other drops. Then when it's deathrattle is triggered is the bees knees.

I tend to lose to perfect dream scenarios that I just can't defend against. A warrior that's whittled away at me a little and then busts out his Grommash or something before my taunts or removals get drawn. Hunters with insane Undertakers (which should finally end today).

The Deathlords have been heroes for me. If drawn earlier, they've staved off aggro, been buffed to hell by Velen, PWS, Inner Fire, etc., and the minion that gets drawn if they ever die has been something easily dealt with, fortunately.

I can appreciate that that Cultists can help draw out removal tools and force a style of play.

I've been convinced to get them and Pyros/Light of the Naaru back into this deck. I just don't know how many of each to include, and what to remove.

So yes, I think my answer is that I tend to have trouble drawing into my cards, unless Clerics are out early. Half the time they are, though, a weapon (or Rockbiter) wipes them out quick, etc.

Haly

Just briefly skimming your deck, I think you're running into the same problem Priests have had since Mind Control was nerfed: Your power never peaks.

Every top deck has a range of turns where they're at their strongest. For Hunter it's 4-5, Zoo is 5-6. Control Warrior and Freeze Mage is 8+. Miracle Rogue used to be 5-7.

Priest decks never did well because their power was spread thin. They had some cute early game gimmicks, and some decent mid game, and swingy late game. But it was never enough to beat a deck that focused on winning early, mid, or late. Holy Nova came just too late to fight off aggro strategies. Mind Control is too risky to run in multiples, but with only Mind Control versus the entire suite of Control Warrior legendaries, what are you going to do?

And that's what I'm seeing in your deck. Modern Priest decks will either veer towards control or aggro, but you're trying to cover the entire spectrum and that just leads to a deck that isn't really good anything. Instead, your gameplan seems to be holding out and attritioning the other guy to death. This is an Arena strategy, not a Constructed one.

Magnus

Just briefly skimming your deck, I think you're running into the same problem Priests have had since Mind Control was nerfed: Your power never peaks.

Every top deck has a range of turns where they're at their strongest. For Hunter it's 4-5, Zoo is 5-6. Control Warrior and Freeze Mage is 8+. Miracle Rogue used to be 5-7.

Priest decks never did well because their power was spread thin. They had some cute early game gimmicks, and some decent mid game, and swingy late game. But it was never enough to beat a deck that focused on winning early, mid, or late. Holy Nova came just too late to fight off aggro strategies. Mind Control is too risky to run in multiples, but with only Mind Control versus the entire suite of Control Warrior legendaries, what are you going to do?

And that's what I'm seeing in your deck. Modern Priest decks will either veer towards control or aggro, but you're trying to cover the entire spectrum and that just leads to a deck that isn't really good anything. Instead, your gameplan seems to be holding out and attritioning the other guy to death. This is an Arena strategy, not a Constructed one.

Love it, gotcha. What's a good solution?

Id personally like to veer more toward control. Thought that's what I was doing, honestly! Haha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom