• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT2| Created by Unstable Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raxus

Props to kripp, that is really good analysis of the card.

My only complaint is he just bitches about the card without spouting possible nerfs to the card that can still make it playable but not turn it into Undertaker 2.0 and Tinkmaster Overspark 2.0. The latter might as well have been deleted from the game.

My only complaint is he just bitches about the card without spouting possible nerfs to the card that can still make it playable but not turn it into Undertaker 2.0 and Tinkmaster Overspark 2.0. The latter might as well have been deleted from the game.

UT is still playable. It might not win games on its own but its still the best 1 drop in a deathrattle deck.

How'd he cheat?

He had the stream open in another window and was apparently looking between both screens. Even though there was a ten minute delay, there was still potential to see what cards his opponent might have been holding, especially in control matchups. The evidence was mostly circumstantial (stream being visible due to a mirror behind him) but he really shouldn't have been watching the stream in the first place.

Ashodin

He had the stream open in another window and was apparently looking between both screens. Even though there was a ten minute delay, there was still potential to see what cards his opponent might have been holding, especially in control matchups. The evidence was mostly circumstantial (stream being visible due to a mirror behind him) but he really shouldn't have been watching the stream in the first place.

Yeah c'mon son, really a mirror?

Raxus

UT is still playable. It might not win games on its own but its still the best 1 drop in a deathrattle deck.

It is still playable but you can no longer coast on a getting turn 3 yetis like you could before and zombie chow just became that much stronger because of this nerf Still one of the best one drops in the game but it is certainly going to fall out of popularity in aggro.

The point is the previous nerfs have been really harsh. I'd like a fair nerf that more or less doesn't take a card out of the game but keeps the essence of Boom since he is still really fun to play.

Celegus

GAF what do I do?

VRC7HG7.jpg

I'm rubbish at arena in general, lucky to hit 3-4 wins. I haven't had Mage come up to pick in ages and my first pull is a legendary! Don't wanna screw this up! Does Pagle usually get smoked right away? Maybe go with the tank?

johnsmith

remember me
GAF what do I do?

I'm rubbish at arena in general, lucky to hit 3-4 wins. I haven't had Mage come up to pick in ages and my first pull is a legendary! Don't wanna screw this up! Does Pagle usually get smoked right away? Maybe go with the tank?

If this took you longer than 2 seconds to decide, you aren't kidding. Kelthuzad, no contest. Complete no brainer.

Ashodin

Insider info

The insider says Hearthstone numbers “are off the charts.” The next expansion is due to come out in April and will be more PvE focused. The team is also experimenting with a 2 vs. 2 version. Stunningly Hearthstone has now passed the 75 million players milestone.

2 headed giant? Blizzard pls

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
For anyone who cares about the reasoning:

Flame Leviathan's effect needs to be built around. You cannot build around a strategy in Arena because the packs are just too random.

These days, with the surge of good of 2 and 3 drops (and even some 1 drops), Nat Pagle would be lucky to be a Novice Engineer.

Kel will win you games if played at the right time. Even if it isn't played at the right time, in a Mage deck it'll trade with a Boulderfist Ogre and win.

It is still playable but you can no longer coast on a getting turn 3 yetis like you could before and zombie chow just became that much stronger because of this nerf Still one of the best one drops in the game but it is certainly going to fall out of popularity in aggro.

The point is the previous nerfs have been really harsh. I'd like a fair nerf that more or less doesn't take a card out of the game but keeps the essence of Boom since he is still really fun to play.

I think the only really harsh nerf was buzzard. Tinkmaster... had to become unplayable in control decks. It just had to. Like really had to be unplayable in control decks, otherwise it would be auto-include status. It was a bad card design from to begin with, with unacceptable RNG to strength ratio and the auto-include nature made the game too RNG.

As for buzzard, frankly I am not even sure if that was overnerfed. They could have done some things to make it more playable, but I'd rather the card be unplayable than even close to its strength before. Even if they made it a 4/2, which is probably what they should have done, it would still not be used. So I kinda think it isn't far off on what it should be, for the strength and synergy that card brings to the table. Considering how good hunter is without much card draw at all, it was a good nerf overall imo.

Beyond buzzard though, I think every nerf has been very good. And in buzzard's case, just a tad overcooked but not in any real meaningful way I think.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
Dr. Boom won me a game today vs a jaraxxus warlock, one of the boom bots hit face leaving him with 6 HP when there were other minions in the board, the next turn i fireballed his ass for the win. It felt so danm good.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
GAF what do I do?

VRC7HG7.jpg

I run Flame Leviathan in my deck because I can mostly try to avoid going down to 2 health unnecessarily, and it's a really fun dynamic to get into situations where you know drawing that card will win you the game, or situations where you know drawing the card will lose you the game.

But never would I ever run it in arena. I never care if I lose in ranked, but I would die if I wasted one of my limited number of losses on an unlucky draw of that card killing all of my guys.

My biggest problem is it synergizes so poorly with Mirror Image, the 1 mana spell that summons two 2 health minions with taunt, but Mirror Image is just too good to give up, and there's no way I'm keeping the only legendary I own out of my deck.

Anustart

I think I might start playing a bunch more if I can get this working on my Note 4 when I get it tomorrow. Anyone have it on their's? How's it run?

Celegus

Mage run looked promising but ended at 3-3 after facing some seriously ridiculous decks. The three I did win were complete stomps though.

Had enough gold for another go, got Paladin and grabbed Hobgoblin over Faceless because I thought it would work on summoning recruits. Oops.

It's a fackin' disgrace is what it is. In my day now.. in my day, they weren't no cheatin' in Hearthstone.

It does look for certain he had the stream on, but apparently there was like a 10 minute delay so maybe it didn't even benefit him, granted doing something that stupid should get you punished regardless. I think its pretty damn obvious that you don't have the stream of the tournament you're in on, regardless of whether it helps you or not.

johnsmith

remember me
Nothing is more frustrating than losing to garbage decks. I just lost to the shittiest deck I've ever seen. Priest with that shitty 1/4 windfury mech, 2 lightspawns. But I got shit draws, with 2 dead innervates in my hand and somehow lost. And of course after i silence his lightspawn he arguses and velen's chosen's it.

I don't even know what to think. This control warrior... on turn fucking turn 2... plays a taskmaster + EXECUTE... on a goddamn zombie chow!

And then after I clear his taskmaster with the buff from autobarber, HE SHIELD SLAMS THE AUTOBARBER.

And then after I play a bare thalnos, hero power, pass. HE OWLS IT.

I would have been so ashamed if I lost that game but I won by a landslide.

Nothing is more frustrating than losing to garbage decks. I just lost to the shittiest deck I've ever seen. Priest with that shitty 1/4 windfury mech, 2 lightspawns. But I got shit draws, with 2 dead innervates in my hand and somehow lost. And of course after i silence his lightspawn he arguses and velen's chosen's it.

I lost to a Paladin in Arena who I swear was picking the worst cards on purpose as a joke and I still lost. Was pretty pissed. My draft wasn't great or anything but it was far better then his.

CoolOff

If you played them in that order (exp then freeze), my best guess would be that you were tricked by the targeting arrow and he actually targeted something on your board. If you didn't have any minions, you either played them in the other order or it's a bug.

In that order, with an empty board. That's what I thought.

So have you guys found any other card games that compare to Hearthstone either software or physical? I know Magic is the obvious one but the few times I've tried it, it's pretty clunky and hard to wrap my head around.

Cipherr

First 12 wins in arena. Although I have only played Arena like 5 times or so because Im not a fan of that mode:

No GVG cards because I started the run in like.... late September but I can barely stand arena so it just takes me a long time to finish it.

Some things of note though, I didn't get a free GvG arena run after I finished this one (I paid gold to start the run all those months ago) and the rewards were (as you can see) GvG packs even though the run was started before GvG released.

ViviOggi

I would say Boom > Sylvanas > Rag > Alex.
Right now Alex is more useful than Rag, even though it's a more specific card it's a key win condition in a bunch of decks while the RNGlord just gets BGH'd.

If you want an all-purpose legendary it has to be Boom, fits almost anywhere and in case of a nerf you'll get your dust back.

On a 6 game winning streak now that Hunters are completely gone from the ladder. The deck is still amazing but I guess perception matters more than reality, so I'll look forward to its resurgence in a month or so.

I don't know why everyone at Rank 6 is playing totally garbage decks all of a sudden (Murloc Shaman wtf), I guess everyone had their cute pocket strats that they want to play now that the hunter scourge is over.

manhack

Alright folks I finally made Legend. This is the 1st month I seriously made the attempt and I started at the VERY beginning of the season.

I kept stats starting around rank 7 and it took me approx 300 games with an overall win percentage of 52%...HOWEVER I had 68% winrate over the last 5 days of playing and that took me from rank 5 to legend relatively quickly (80 games or so).

I played many decks including Hunter, Warlock, Priest and Paladin. Most time was Hunter and Paladin. I played Paladin from rank 2 to Legend.

Let me just say it was a gigantic pain in the ass and was extremely time consuming and stressful.

Highlights: beating Hyp3d's mech rogue today after seeing it on the Pinnacle 2.

oNb6SWKl.png

Congrats!

I haven't played over the past few days, so I won't make it this month, but I might shoot for Legend in February so long as the meta doesn't obsolete the decks I have the cards available for. Before this season, the last time I was up as high was at pretty much at the height of Miracle Rogue and I had every card for the deck. Don't want to wait too long and get left in the dust for a couple seasons again when they change/release new cards.

INTRODUCING: Give Them The D! (not to be confused with "Give them the D" with no exclamation point)

This is a midrange rogue deck. I was annoyed at how tempo was just getting run over by undertakers, pre-nerf, and I decided to make this deck. Give them the D, is short for... give them the defense. This is a board control deck. Rarely will you be able to cheese out a win, but you actually still can. On turn 5, with a weapon out and a minion on board, prep sword oil, sword oil, is like casting 2 fireballs for 5 mana. Think about that for a moment. 2 fireballs for 12 mana. Did I forget to mention that you still have a second swing? Make that 3 fireballs. If you have blade flurry, that third fireball just kills everything including your opponent! Basically it turns the third fireball into apocalypse mode. Seriously, when I get this prep- sword oil combo in my hand. I'm literally like holy crap, what is happening here, is this real? :D

Mulligan strategy
Most mulligans you go for zombie chows and backstabs. With control you can get a bit more greedy. If you have 1 zombie chow, you can get super greedy and go for shades of naxxramas. Against warrior, I'd keep a zombie chow but I wouldn't mulligan for a zombie chow. Chows keep armor down and when they die the warrior usually isn't even harmed anyway due to armor generation. And if the warrior expends a war axe charge on your chow, big deal.

Against paladin, zombie chows are freaking amazing. Always keep them. Play around truesilver decent enough and you probably win. Tirion is the biggest hurdle so if you can, keep sabotage, but keep in mind whether or not you combo it, you won't destroy ashbringer.

Mech Mage is the hardest match up in my experience. But still very winnable. Van cleef is very good in the match up it turns out. So is blade flurry. But still mulligan for backstabs, zombie chows, and si7 agents. When I have a decent start with in this match up, the main reason I lose is because of crazy goblin blastmage rng.

Against hunter + zoo, same deal. When in doubt, go for zombie chows and backstabs. Keep a shade if you suspect handlock.

I guess the last class I will cover is druid because that class is also pretty difficult lately (although this particular version of the deck is 5-2 vs druid) Mulliganing zombie chow really doesn't do much vs this class. It isn't bad to keep but I generally aim for shades, si7 agents, backstabs, sludge belchers, loatheb, and azure drake. Can't get too greedy though cause some drop their own shades early too.

The deck's worst enemy is Dr. Boom. Heck, any deck that tries to win by establishing board control... should despise that card. It has singlehandedly turned around so many games and made so many games unwinnable, even though I have BGH in the deck. If you want to fit a dr. boom in, by all means go ahead. I don't have it yet. Whatever you do, don't cut gallywix and even ragnaros is pretty important. I wouldn't even cut van cleef but I guess it could work out. Maybe cut a zombie chow if you're feeling daring (zombie chows are good, really good in this deck).

Give_them_the_D.png

I had a 9 win streak with the deck tonight. Pretty good lately for me in gvg.

I ended the night with a 65% winrate over 45 games (I played a ton tonight).

edit:

Gonna add a short excerpt for warrior. The general consensus seems to be that midrange rogue is very disadvantaged against control warrior. I actually beg to differ. Shade of naxxramas is pretty much the best card you get mulligan for. But zombie chows keep armor down really well. The goal is to shave off armor as much as possible while your shade grows, and then play a sludge belcher or better yet, a loatheb, and start hitting face. Play around brawl and set up for a sword oil blade flurry combo or two, and you'll win. Also, don't bother dropping si7 agents or autobarbers on curve. They just die to weapons. Almost always try to get the extra value from their on play effects. Even taking out the second half a sludge belcher with the autobarber can be a big deal. Generally the goal in this match up is to make it as AWKWARD and EXPENSIVE as possible for the warrior to remove your stuff.

There are 3 legendary cards that will often ruin your day. Sylvanas. Baron Geddon. And Dr. Boom. No surprise here because all three of these legendary cards are designed to fight for board. Shades right before 7 mana is a no no because on turn 7 baron geddon kills it for free. The last tip is for gallywix. Brawl is almost worthless I find. Play around shield slam and shield maiden... executes happen and they suck but at least you can kill something just with hero power execute.

I think druid is going to be ascendant again if the meta stops revolving around Hunters. Having room to put the combo back into the deck and replacing anti-hunter tech like MCT/Sludge/Kezan with greedier cards helps a ton versus the Handlock/Paladin/Warrior matchups.

manhack

I think druid is going to be ascendant again if the meta stops revolving around Hunters. Having room to put the combo back into the deck and replacing anti-hunter tech like MCT/Sludge/Kezan with greedier cards helps a ton versus the Handlock/Paladin/Warrior matchups.

Agreed. I saw no less than 6 Druids in my last 10 games and they were mostly combo Druids. The last 2 weeks Druids were not even playing combo at all and you could count on that as you made decisions.

Rosenskjold

Blade flurry gains dmg from +spellpower? That's just stupid, the text clearly says "deal "its" dmg" not "its plus spellpower" ... >>'. Granted, it's a spell, so I get that part of it, but then word the card so it's unmistakeable instead of clearly writing you deal the weapon dmg :/

ViviOggi

Blade flurry gains dmg from +spellpower? That's just stupid, the text clearly says "deal "its" dmg" not "its plus spellpower" ... >>'. Granted, it's a spell, so I get that part of it, but then word the card so it's unmistakeable instead of clearly writing you deal the weapon dmg :/
Huh? Any damage dealing spell is boosted by spellpower without it ever being mentioned in the card's text.

ViviOggi

Maybe I'm stupid, I just don't think it's the same when other cards just have a based dmg, and this card says it deals the weapon's dmg.
I can see how it's a bit counter-intuitive because it feels like a special type of spell, being based on a weapon. But HS doesn't differentiate, a spell is a spell and if it deals direct damage it's boosted by spellpower. Similar to Shield Slam its base damage depends on a variable, but the moment you play it it's considered a standard damage spell like Fireball or Flamestrike. Also for example a Circle of Healing is boosted by spellpower with an Auchenai in play while its usual healing effect is never affected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom