• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT2| Created by Unstable Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rosenskjold

I can see how it's a bit counter-intuitive because it feels like a special type of spell, being based on a weapon. But HS doesn't differentiate, a spell is a spell and if it deals direct damage it's boosted by spellpower. Similar to Shield Slam its base damage depends on a variable, but the moment you play it it's considered a standard damage spell like Fireball or Flamestrike. Also for example a Circle of Healing is boosted by spellpower with an Auchenai in play while its usual healing effect is never affected.

Yeah I should have thought that far in the game, but I didn't and lost and felt it was kinda stupid :/

Visceir

Kinda wish I'd get Blingtron 3000. I like playing around with weapons and a little rng in my match, but I can't justify crafting one. If I'd just get it through card pack I'd def use it tho.

Magnus

I got a 17 attack Light Warden up from some Wild Pyro/Circle of Healing/Northshire Cleric antics the other day. I hit face with it once, and the Mage just conceded.

Lol outstanding.

All y'all with the sexy arena win streaks are killing me. I'm lucky to ever get more than 3 wins. I really must suck at drafting (even though I used the arena value lists a few times) or just have terrible luck drawing. People pull off outrageous combos in there and I'm like, is this Constructed? Meanwhile I'm dead on like turn 4. Shit doesn't seem right. Lol

Lol outstanding.

All y'all with the sexy arena win streaks are killing me. I'm lucky to ever get more than 3 wins. I really must suck at drafting (even though I used the arena value lists a few times) or just have terrible luck drawing. People pull off outrageous combos in there and I'm like, is this Constructed? Meanwhile I'm dead on like turn 4. Shit doesn't seem right. Lol

You aren't the only one. My best streak is 4 wins. I usually go 1-3 or 2-3. My draft might look good but then I get humbled by that first paladin or mage

Celegus

You aren't the only one. My best streak is 4 wins. I usually go 1-3 or 2-3. My draft might look good but then I get humbled by that first paladin or mage

Same here. I hit 6 once, but pretty much every other time is 2-3 wins. I have a pretty good win ratio in constructed, but I only play casual after I hit rank 20 for the card.

HbvtTZV.jpg

Expecting 0-3 with this pos arena draft. WTF Blizzard.

Rosenskjold

I have a shredder and rivendare out and both die to shadow flame, shredder doesn't even trigger and spawn one minion? There was no silence on it :/

Atuin

*picture*

Expecting 0-3 with this pos arena draft. WTF Blizzard.

Only weak cards I see are Novice engineer, Archmage, Tallstrider and Frost nova. Too heavy on the 4 mana cards but not that terrible curve otherwise. It's going to be a challenge to hit 0-3 with that deck.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Lol outstanding.

You aren't alone, that's my experience with arena too. 4 arena wins is my all time record, no matter how great a deck I get I always see super crazy over the top stuff in there that is just indefensible. My gold is more efficiently spent just buying packs outright for 100g and playing constructed.

embalm

On a 6 game winning streak now that Hunters are completely gone from the ladder. The deck is still amazing but I guess perception matters more than reality, so I'll look forward to its resurgence in a month or so.

I don't know why everyone at Rank 6 is playing totally garbage decks all of a sudden (Murloc Shaman wtf), I guess everyone had their cute pocket strats that they want to play now that the hunter scourge is over.

I have tried very hard to make Murloc Shaman work. It's a great deck for slowly dropping ranks. If they release a sticky or fat cheap murloc, it would probably work. All the low cost murlocs just die too easily to pull anything off. The midgame combos though are glorious.

gutshot

I can't recommend heartharena.com enough for help with drafting. It does a much better job of recognizing deck types, synergies and curve than Arena Value or Arena Mastery. It has helped me boost my arena average from 3 wins per run to 5. Not quite infinite yet, but getting there.

Just unpacked Tinkmaster Overspark, good or free 400 dust?

I actually got screwed pretty hard by Tinkmaster the other day. I was playing Zoo against a Handlock, and I got him down to 2 health. I had 6 minions on board: Nerubian Egg, 4 imps, and a Leper Gnome. He has a taunted Ancient Watcher. All I have to do to win is run the Leper Gnome into the taunt, but he plays Tinkmaster who transforms the Leper Gnome (a 1 in 7 chance) into a squirrel (a 1 in 2 chance). That was literally the only combination that could have saved him. Transforming any other minion would either add attack to my board or leave it the exact same, giving me enough to punch through his taunt and hit face for lethal even without the Leper Gnome's deathrattle. It also could have removed his taunt. There's also the chance that he'd give me a Devilsaur that would've won me the game. But no, he hits Leper Gnome, effectively silencing him and reducing his attack. Fuck RNG.

Celegus

I can't recommend heartharena.com enough for help with drafting. It does a much better job of recognizing deck types, synergies and curve than Arena Value or Arena Mastery. It has helped me boost my arena average from 3 wins per run to 5. Not quite infinite yet, but getting there.

Never tried something like that, but I'll give it a shot next time around.

Magnus

I just decided to make an All-Spell mage deck to fuck around with in casual.

Shit is fucking COMEDY. I'm actually going with a 50% win rate right now.

2x Arcane Missiles, Fireball, Frostbolt, Flamestrike, Flamecannon, Secrets, MIrror Image, etc.

The only minions allowed are via Unstable Portal for extra comedy. (I might mix in Duplicate for fun)

I can feel opponents raging at my removal abilities, lol.

I always make it to Turn 12 or 13 at least.

Kinda wish I'd get Blingtron 3000. I like playing around with weapons and a little rng in my match, but I can't justify crafting one. If I'd just get it through card pack I'd def use it tho.

I crafted one today, as the last ingredient in my Randuin deck. I got a gold Gallywix, but Rogue is by far my least played class.

2x Arcane Missiles, Fireball, Frostbolt, Flamestrike, Flamecannon, Secrets, MIrror Image, etc.

The only minions allowed are via Unstable Portal for extra comedy. (I might mix in Duplicate for fun)

I made a spell / weapons Rogue deck a while back. Only used Greenskin for a minion. It does alright since Rogues have great removal and can delay amazingly with Vanish, but it can never be serious since you'll never have any board.

I used to do this when I wanted to complete the "cast 40 spells" quest in a hurry. Quite fun. I bet it is even better now with the additional spells that are available.

Biochet

just tried it out, this shit is amazing

3-0 currently

I hate the use of outside tools in draft (arena). It just takes out half of the skill needed to compete, but this is played on the internet and people will use whatever to gain an edge.

Its the nature of the beast.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I hate the use of outside tools in draft (arena). It just takes out half of the skill needed to compete, but this is played on the internet and people will use whatever to gain an edge.

Its the nature of the beast.

Tools only get you so far. The more I play arena, the less I use them.

Tools only get you so far. The more I play arena, the less I use them.

Yeah, it just gives you a grounding. I generally just stick to it for the first few picks. I'm getting more confident now. It's more about curve than anything these days. Very rarely will a single card win an Arena game, unless it's like Kel'Thuzad or something equally ridiculous in Arena.

I don't like seeing people throw away their hard-earned gold. Same reason I'm okay with netdecking. Losing sometimes is fine, losing because you have no idea what you're doing and basically giving infinite Arena players free wins sucks and is anti-fun.

Magnus

This is what HearthArena just built for me. Let's see how it goes.

Honestly, I learned so much just by watching it list all the synergies and reasonings for the good/bad picks. Great stuff.

Ew8wnvh.png

edit- Getting rocked by a mage with absolute perfect top-decking. Can't wrest back board control. Awful.

Sometimes I think my biggest problem is not knowing what to mulligan for. I see a string of good 2 and 3 drops sometimes and think that's fine, but then an opponent drops something critical on turn 1 when I can't play anything, and the entire game is weighted in their favour and I'm screwed, haha.

edit2- Rocked my next opponent, also a mage. A handy ass-kicking. Most of the deck synergies HearthArena pointed out actually came to pass. lol

edit3- Absolutely decimating my next opponent, another priest, lol.

edit4- Wrecked by a Paladin with great cards and a Gruul. My Lightbomb had to be used the turn before it came out to deal with a massive wave of minions he'd put together. I had no other late game removal. Sigh. 2-2 now.

edit5- Melted another mage. Risked two Velens on one turn 1 Shadowboxer, given it'd be a few turns till a sheep or fireball. Neither came. Yay!

edit6- Melted a hunter. Velen on a Raging Worgen is insane. I'm gratified that it was probably my drafting all along that sucked and not my ability to play with cards in a game. I recognize that drafting really is half of the arena game, though. 4-2 now.

edit7- Hunter with Gladiator's Longbow, which is basically just ridiculous, stomped me.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
So as someone who only started playing this game casually about 3 months ago man about rank 15 is my road block.

Seems once I get there everyone has Dr Boom or a ton of other legendaries. Not that I haven't won before, but I have to get like the perfect draw.

Yes I still love the game, and I hope this doesn't come off as too big of a rant.

ViviOggi

No PW:S, rip

As for the mulligan, curve is indeed the most important and with that draft there's really nothing worth throwing a solid 2 and 3 away for. There's no early removal except for a single Pain which is too low of a chance to go for. You should prioritize high power cards though so you have a chance to keep the board, so unless you can coin out a Velen's or something Creeper isn't worth keeping. Same with Imp Master and Cobra, if you're already behind those drops won't do anything for you.

Cat Party

I feel like I've stumbled on something pretty solid. Again, I'm new at this, but I've built a Shaman deck out of almost completely base cards that is winning every game for me in low level ranked play. I've been consistently killing opponents with 20+ damage bursts using bloodlust + windfury when I have no board control and appear to be toast. I use removal spells and abilities to slow down the opponent for 7 turns or so, and then I get either a Stormwind Commander or Fire Elemental down. Normally I have some totems or weak minions down as well. My big minions get ignored because I appear doomed. Then I just buff the big guy with windfury and drop bloodlust.

Surely, I'm not the first to adopt this strategy, and perhaps I'm just lucky that my opponents don't see it coming. Anyone have a suggestion for cards to craft for this type of deck? I'm concerned that this strategy will fail horribly against mage decks when I start playing better people in ranked.

Mirimar

Finally got Jaraxxus!! 2 problems, tho...lol
1 - On my F2P EU Account and not main

2 - My EU Warlock cards are absolute trash...==;;

In any case, it's LORD JARAXXUS!

Faceless will definitely help, as I don't have many strong epics/legendaries on this account.

hbsOmA5.png

Magnus

Finally got Jaraxxus!! 2 problems, tho...lol
1 - On my F2P EU Account and not main

2 - My EU Warlock cards are absolute trash...==;;

In any case, it's LORD JARAXXUS!

Faceless will definitely help, as I don't have many strong epics/legendaries on this account.

hbsOmA5.png

A legendary, epic, golden common, and a rare all in one pack….god damn….lucky!

Babalu.

just started playing. got my rank 20 for the cool card back with my paladin deck.

my deck sucks but its fun.

can anyone explain how arena works? you bet gold or something? and play random cards?

Tacitus_

Trump just got out of prison, np

just started playing. got my rank 20 for the cool card back with my paladin deck.

my deck sucks but its fun.

can anyone explain how arena works? you bet gold or something? and play random cards?

You "bet" the entry fee and then draft a deck out of random cards (pick 1 of 3 choices each time). The more you win, the better the rewards, but you lose your run after 3 losses.

So as someone who only started playing this game casually about 3 months ago man about rank 15 is my road block.

Seems once I get there everyone has Dr Boom or a ton of other legendaries. Not that I haven't won before, but I have to get like the perfect draw.

Yes I still love the game, and I hope this doesn't come off as too big of a rant.

it's something that everyone struggles with when starting out. I'm pretty sure I made similar posts. but removal is cheap in hearthstone and most classes have a lot of it.

and I sort of loathe to recommend it but there's always zoo. that deck will always be the cheapest, most efficient deck. until they add a good cheap legendary that fits the archetype.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom