• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT2| Created by Unstable Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard
This news sent chills. So many people arguing there is no proof that UT is OP or needs to change. Then there was that thread about blizzard claiming UT was fine, and the blues stepped in (and even ben brode who never posts on the official forums) to point out that is not what they said. They pointed out the interview said they would continue to watch it and that the interview was old as well. Then the tryhard defenders (talking about official forums) argued for like 20 pages that the card is fine, won't be nerfed, etc..

Anyway... BRING OUT YOUR SALT

First post in response to the news. He has -120 downvotes at the moment, lmao.

I'm loving the nerf. Fuck Hunters.

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard
What does the term "greedy" in Control Deck/HS lingo mean?

Also, fuck these awful booster packs! Three this week alone that have only contained one terrible, non-golden rare - and two of them were fucking TARGET DUMMIES ARGHAGSHJAGHS

Hah! Hadn't thought of it that way before. You're right. About the only solid positive is including several cheap death rattle minions in the hopes of boosting it more than just once per turn, which was rare in my limited experience with a UT deck.

edit- ah, as per ZealousD below, I forgot there was a mana cost difference between them.

"I can't win in four turns with a broken combo"

(Not the poster who commented on 'greediness', just the general pro-aggro sentiment : p )

Twitch hearthstoneGAF chat room infomation:
If you want an invite to the hearthstonegaf chat room on twitch, just pm me your twitch name and I'll get around to inviting you. Or you can ask someone who is already a member of the channel. Anyone can invite anyone. It is pretty neat since you can join it from any channel and just chat while watching tournaments or other streams and events. Just a basic "don't be an ass" ruleless environment away from the spam of the channel you're in. You can even pop out chat and switch freely between the gaf chat and the stream's chat.

edit^:

Greedy decks refer to decks that run far too many heavy hitters that are slow and may never make a significant impact on a game against a faster deck. The way hearthstone is designed, and has continually been developed towards imo, is getting small advantages early on. But if one deck manages to get a huge advantage early on, all those slow but powerful cards won't have enough impact to gain the advantage back before the game is over. So you need to have an early game that can minimize the advantages of a faster deck so that you can eventually swing the game with heavy hitters. This makes your deck worse towards slower decks.

You really want a balanced deck that is capable of gaining small advantages early on and snowballing if you're opponent gives you the opportunity. But you also want a deck that is capable of bouncing back from small and even sometimes big disadvantages. This is the true test of a robust deck imo. Many decks curve out well. But its harder to swing a match when you are already losing.

Probably over-killed that answer to what a greedy deck is.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Smallest little thing I love being able to pull off, Mirror Entity a panic Big Game Hunter, bounce him back with a time rewinder, and use it on the other player later in the match. I have done it twice now in a like 2 dozen games.

Sadly, its the most value I have gotten from Mirror Entiy into Time Rewinder, no one gives me cool battle cry things. I did get a Tirion Fordring though, that was nice.

Edit: I kept a paladin frozen the entire game. The dream!

Celegus

Trying out HearthArena to see what happens, but lol this draft.

I65Cd1F.png

I'll be amazed with 2 wins.

Cipherr

I hate the use of outside tools in draft (arena). It just takes out half of the skill needed to compete, but this is played on the internet and people will use whatever to gain an edge.

Its the nature of the beast.

Its not like it takes much though. If I can manage a 12 win with as few times as I have played it, Im sure others can learn to draft pretty easily. Especially if you watch a lot of streamers. Guardsmen Bob basically explains everything and drafting in general, to the point that using a website would be pointless after you have watched him explain Arena a few times.

Trying out HearthArena to see what happens, but lol this draft.

I65Cd1F.png

I'll be amazed with 2 wins.

I tried out HearthArena since everyone was talking about it. I haven't been too impressed. I went solely by their recommendations and went 0-3, 7-3, and 1-3. My usual average is 4+.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
People bitch about War Golem being worse then Dr. Boom, but I sure wish I had the War Golem last game. Other dude MC Teched my Boom, I got it down to 1 and frozen, then he recomboluated it to Antondas D:

I still main my Control Hunter. GREETINGS, TRAVELER.

I have two hunter decks and undertaker wasn't in either of them (beast and Feign death control deck ftw).

So the nerf has just made them easier to play.

Btw when did mech warrior become a thing? I ran into three of them today... Three easy wins too.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
So as someone who only started playing this game casually about 3 months ago man about rank 15 is my road block.

Seems once I get there everyone has Dr Boom or a ton of other legendaries. Not that I haven't won before, but I have to get like the perfect draw.

Yes I still love the game, and I hope this doesn't come off as too big of a rant.

I noticed the same thing. Between 20 and 16 I see no Dr Boom at all, and then at 15 I see it every single game. It's really quite odd.

it's something that everyone struggles with when starting out. I'm pretty sure I made similar posts. but removal is cheap in hearthstone and most classes have a lot of it.

and I sort of loathe to recommend it but there's always zoo. that deck will always be the cheapest, most efficient deck. until they add a good cheap legendary that fits the archetype.

You only really have 1 basic card per class that can do that, used twice for the deck limit, but yeah, that definitely works. I guess maybe my mindset has to change a bit for which minions are worth getting those cards used on once i reach 15 again.

Seems to me the biggest problem is the selection for basic, common, and rare 7+ mana cards is pretty bad. Isn't Stormwind Champion and Force-Tank Max literally the only viable non-epic or legendary cards at that mana level?

You pretty much have to use combinations of lower mana cards to take out legendary ones, which does work, but really limits a lot of options. It seems to me like you pretty much have to try to be in a commanding lead by turn 7 to have a chance without any legendaries, but could be I'm just bad and am missing something.

inky

Hei guise, I herd Meig is gud...

Personally, I don't like draft sites. I find it's easier to recognize your mistakes while drafting if you do it yourself. Common sense >>>>> some nebulous rating and synergy that might not be worth it. Arena is so much about RNG too. Last game I got a Millhouse from the Shredder... against a Priest turn 4. Next turn I had Azure Drake in hand. From there he just couldn't recover. Things like that happen all the time. One of my losses was against a Paladin who played 2 Madder Bombers which did, I kid you not, 11 damage to my face and one to him. It's ridiculous.

I noticed the same thing. Between 20 and 16 I see no Dr Boom at all, and then at 15 I see it every single game. It's really quite odd.

You only really have 1 basic card per class that can do that, used twice for the deck limit, but yeah, that definitely works. I guess maybe my mindset has to change a bit for which minions are worth getting those cards used on once i reach 15 again.

Seems to me the biggest problem is the selection for basic, common, and rare 7+ mana cards is pretty bad. Isn't Stormwind Champion and Force-Tank Max literally the only viable non-epic or legendary cards at that mana level?

You pretty much have to use combinations of lower mana cards to take out legendary ones, which does work, but really limits a lot of options. It seems to me like you pretty much have to try to be in a commanding lead by turn 7 to have a chance without any legendaries, but could be I'm just bad and am missing something.

the more aggressive strategies are looking to end the game before turn 7.

every deck needs some kind of win condition. flooding the board with low cost, efficient minions is one of the best strategies in hearthstone. even there there is a lot of removal in the game most of it is pretty slow. which is why i was always way less concerned with dr boom than undertaker. by the time dr boom gets played i've probably been sitting on bgh for a few turns. aggro decks can spiral out of control before you have time to play any of your fancy legendaries.

Going back and playing through the Naxxramas class challenges I am still amazed at how ass the Paladin was. Even now looking back I don't get what Blizz was thinking with that. Neither avenge or echoing ooze have seen any serious play since then and their so awful to play with too.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Ran into a huntertaker deck on ladder that was all gold cards.

I could just see their thought process. "I crafted an all gold version of this deck goddammit, and so I'm gonna play it, nerfs be damned!"

I still lost. Undertaker nerf did jack shit to kill face hunter. It is still a thing.

The amount of RNG off goblin blastmage... is fucking insulting. Knife juggler is bad enough. But now there is a minion that throws 4 just for being played with a mech on the field... and one just hit my loatheb 4 times in a row..

Dahbomb

Ran into a huntertaker deck on ladder that was all gold cards.

I could just see their thought process. "I crafted an all gold version of this deck goddammit, and so I'm gonna play it, nerfs be damned!"

I still lost. Undertaker nerf did jack shit to kill face hunter. It is still a thing.
I have lost to Hunters without them even playing UT. Of course face Hunter is still a thing and UT is still decently powerful in that deck.

I just don't have to go all in to remove a 1 drop anymore. Mages especially can just ping down the UT easily.

And Dr Balanced will get the stick very soon. Today I really felt the power of the card (against me and when I used it myself).

Dahbomb

I doubt it. They'll want to milk GvG dry first
True... Blizzard always takes their sweet time nerfing Legendaries. Took them forever to nerf Pagle, Tinkmaster and Sylvanas even though everyone was telling Blizzard they were OP as hell. Pagle in fact was about to be banned from tournaments.

I think I would be fine if Doom was changed to a 7/6 or a 7/5 with the Boombots hitting for 2 damage instead of 1-4. There is already a lot of RNG in play in terms of where the explosions will land, having them either do shit damage or a considerable amount of damage is outrageous. Like Kripparian says, Boom Bots are 1 drops that people would actually play in Arena due to their potential ability to trade up.

I think you can even make him cost 6, but have the boom bots hit your own side as well.

Then aoe can sometimes deal with dr boom, or sometimes he still messes you up (along the lines of the undertaker change).

But come to think of it, without dr boom is there any gvg legendary worth buying packs for? Voljin... Sort of I suppose, but there isn't much incentive otherwise.

Xanathus

If Boom gets needed then the meta will just swap him for Troggzor or Sneed's. Boom just happens to be the cream of the crop of GvG high cost minions.

Dahbomb

Both of those options are preferable to Boom IMO. Sneeds can at least be countered with silence plus removal so you can minimize the randomness and it comes out one turn later. Really no way to mitigate the randomness of Boom unless you do something crazy like BGH + Wild Pyro + Mass Silence for a "clean" removal. Every time you hit a Boombot you are risking taking 5 damage from it and that's just ridiculous to me.

TheChaos0

No flame strikes no fireballs nothing its a pos draft.

I drew 3 flamestrikes, sheep, fireball, flamecannon...and still went on my first 0-3 in a long while. Nothing is guaranteed, no matter what you draft. I should really stop playing mage in arena, I never do good no matter what. Pally is where it's at.

IMO Sneeds is about the only other GvG legendary worth playing at this point. There's some good epics in the set, but if you're still missing some core legendaries like me, you're better off sifting through classic packs.

Otherwise I pretty much have all the rares and and commons in the set.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
WTF is it about shrinkmeister that makes me always target my own guys with it. It's ridiculous, can't believe it happened again.

Shrinkmeister has to target something, so if there is no enemy unit you have to select one of your own, unless there is truly nothing targetable.

I feel the game is easier in the day then in the late night. I guess my best shot to hit legend would be before work in the afternoon, but I'm back at upper rank 3.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I'm rather wondering how many other players are doing it, view the stream without logging into Twitch/via livestreamer and don't be an idiot reflecting it to your webcam and there's no way you're getting caught.

I know in the bigger starcraft online tournaments like NASL they would delay the stream like a full 30 minutes to make sure this sort of thing wouldn't happen.

Xanathus

I'm rather wondering how many other players are doing it, view the stream without logging into Twitch/via livestreamer and don't be an idiot reflecting it to your webcam and there's no way you're getting caught.
Like Kripp said, basically every single player would do it if they could. Personally i don't even consider it cheating.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
T-minus 24h until I'm opening 500 packs.

Zemm

It's always funny seeing Forsen's rank when he isn't streaming (top 10 usually) compared to when he is (can be anywhere from 100 to 2000). So many cheating fucks in this game. Ghosty should be banned from every online tournament and qualifier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom