• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT2| Created by Unstable Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So after someone linked HearthArena I decided to try an Arena round again even though I don't need much in the way of GvG cards.

I got to 2-1 and then so far I've run into:

1.) A warlock with four power overwhelmings, an Alexstrazsa, and a Doomguard. (I lost that one when he top decked two power overwhelmings and added it to the power overwhelming he had in his hand, all put on to a summoning portal I couldn't clear in time.)

2.) A mage who had three flamestrikes (in the first half of their deck no less) and a blizzard. Somehow I won that one, but still, wow.

The highlights of my deck are one mind control and one auchenai.

I'm remembering why I don't play this mode anymore.

Edit:

Well I went 6-3 so that didn't go too poorly.

TheChaos0

^ Oh I played a mage like that today. Game 1, of course he has 3 flamestrikes, why wouldn't he?! :) Got hunter legendary at the end of the run. Not sure I'll use it any time soon though.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
So who won The Pinnacle 2 ?

There's another HS tourney going right now here: http://www.twitch.tv/esltv_hearthstone
You folks win, im gonna buy some packs. Let's keep the Legendary hype going!

Edit: Hosty got hosed from Archon? Dang, he cheated for realz then.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Wow, got a legendary!
12290.png

I dont play with the Mage though :3

Also got a Molten Giant which i didnt have, so im cool.

Welp had what I thought was a good Paladin arena deck...

NOPE went 1-3

always seems when i get a decent looking deck I go 1-3 0-3. When I get what looked like a shitty deck with a druid or priest I get 3 or 4 wins.

I did get 2 goblin blastmages in the pack from arena. Don't have near the cards to run full on mech mage but i put a mechish deck together and have been getting a lot of concedes after 4 turns. Once that first blastmage comes out people just give up. If they only knew how mediocre my deck actually is.

ViviOggi

yeah. like I said before the game really needs a tourney mode that let's admins run a tournament and do things like recreate matches after a disconnect.
Took them almost a year to implement a (very basic) spectator mode while simultaneously announcing that replay functionality isn't planned, I'm not expecting additional basic MP features anytime soon. Don't even get me started on stat tracking.

inky

Took them almost a year to implement a (very basic) spectator mode while simultaneously announcing that replay functionality isn't planned, I'm not expecting additional basic MP features anytime soon. Don't even get me started on stat tracking.

Yea, it's really weird. Obviously I'm ignorant in what would be required to do something like save playable replays, but Blizzard completely ignoring non-playable replays puzzles me. The game obviously keeps a "moves" log already, and the way I've seen other games do it is make a basic copy of that log into a small file, and make the game be able to save/read those files in order to watch the replay from a simple menu.

Would that open the game to exploits or something? Because I just can't understand. To me it'd be a basic feature and decade old games already had such functionality, which, imo, would be fun and even didactic to have. I'd love sharing replays with friends for example, or go over them in spectator mode with chat with someone else, etc.

Too bad it'll probably never happen =(

Magnus

Late to the party, but I grabbed 15 packs.
W0zjvAj.jpg
lZ0cIIy.jpg

I already had Alex, and I dusted a golden epic, so those 15 packs got me 1500 dust.

LEGENDARY SATURDAY

Grats!

I had enough dust from all the packs today ro make another. Dusted Millhouse and grabbed a Voljin. Priest greatness, incoming.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I feel like I've seen a Doomsayer from Piloted Shredders an abnormal amount of times.

It's probably just the times a doomsayer pops out ends up being far more memorable than all the other ones.

I have the amazing skill of playing around doomsayer only to get mana wraith and having a fucked up turn instead.

Levi

Banned
LEGENDARY SATURDAY

Grats!

I had enough dust from all the packs today ro make another. Dusted Millhouse and grabbed a Voljin. Priest greatness, incoming.

Thank you! I crafted VolJin last week but my control priest has not had much success. My new ramp druid is 4 and 1 right now, though. Ended up crafting Black Knight because I can use that card in a lot of my decks.

Cipherr

I dont think Blizzard is against replays or two player modes or anything like that. I think its just absolutely true that Hearthstone was made with a small team. They have been hiring people (some from the community) like ever since the game launched. It has a super small team clearly.

Subtract most of those team members for constant development of upcoming expansions and you aren't left with much else. They just need a much bigger team. Its become one of their largest games out of no where.

I'm on a hearthstone hangover from a marathon-like run yesterday. Next season I'm gonna be gunning for much higher than just hitting legend.

If you guys are interested in playing a control paladin deck, this is what I built. After I started ladder with like a 9 winstreak right off the bat, I didn't even change a single card in the list.

Resident_Evil.png

It fights for board early and then transitions into late game pretty well. Against aggro just healing twice via healbot or lay on hands is often enough to win. Getting KT with a taunt up is another win condition or getting just massive value in general. Muster for battle + quarter master combos really work well against druids and warriors. I only run 1 since people play around it so hard. 1 equality because this deck is less about swinging board states and being reactive and more about proactively fighting for the board with zombie chow, shielded minibot, and muster for battle. And since the deck runs very little card draw, you have to treat each resource like a treasure, but it also almost means an auto-win against other fatigue decks. In fact, this deck is very winnable just by fatigue alone. You just need board control do to that and trade every time they drop a minion.

The really popular pilotted shredder is shut down very hard by aldor peacekeeper. Against aggro mech mage you always have to keep in mind that goblin blast mage exists though. But mech aggro has a hard time with zombie chows, muster for battle, quartermaster, healbots, etc.. Just gotta be wary of antonidas and try to finish the match before they can get massive value out of that card. And mirror entity is countered hard by zombie chow, giving you 5 hp that really matters and giving them 5 hp that really doesn't. And after they mirror entity, they are almost always in MCT range. So that can be a really big swing turn.

Also, in general, the longer the match lasts, the more likely you will win. This is because of the strong late game cards like cairne, sylvanas, tirions, and kelthuzad. Still don't be afraid to hit face because if you don't you could end up losing in the long run as well. Put the fear of them losing to your minions in their mind, and you'll make them make decisions they wouldn't otherwise make. Hell, I even had a FACE HUNTER rolls a huffer and run that huffer into a recruit because he thought I had quartermaster (I didn't) and many times hunters use UTH and then just trade.

tylerf

I really just dread playing against Warrior. The games take forever and they play out exactly the same because everyone has exactly the same deck. So boring.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I went against a weird hobgoblin zoo deck. I knew something was fucking weird when I actually saw somebody try and use stoneskin gargoyle.

This dude had Onyxia and Ysera in his Arena deck. I had a Ysera too and he Mind Controlled it.
The fuck is that Blizz?

And I got Iron Juggernaut from the pack.
It's all good now.

TheChaos0

I really just dread playing against Warrior. The games take forever and they play out exactly the same because everyone has exactly the same deck. So boring.

I do wish Warriors had some other consistent options but control I'd say is the only real option. Warriors also has too many "essential" cards that you'd be stupid not to take which makes every deck look exactly the same. Hopefully as time goes on and more cards are added, Warriors will get more options.

Playing at rank 20 right now. Everyone has perfect decks. This is unreal. :D I guess it is start of the season though.

I started at 17 and everyone's been running total garbage decks. I guess just about every deck seems sub-optimal when you're running an aggro deck, it just exposes a lot of weaknesses.

Kolento's mirror entity aggro mage is really good, which you don't necessarily expect from looking at the decklist. It's like hunter but with a less guaranteed win condition and a bit more flexibility

TheChaos0

I started at 17 and everyone's been running total garbage decks. I guess just about every deck seems sub-optimal when you're running an aggro deck, it just exposes a lot of weaknesses.

Kolento's mirror entity aggro mage is really good, which you don't necessarily expect from looking at the decklist. It's like hunter but with a less guaranteed win condition and a bit more flexibility

I've switched to Mech Mage... err a lot better and the games are 5 times faster. I've just kept running in these Control decks and my Control deck is not complete enough to compete with them. Losing that fatigue war... yawn.

Also, I'm 90 dust short of crafting another legendary. I guess I should go with Alex for my Control warrior. I've already got Raggy, Hellscream and Sylvanas.

Szadek

I'm now testing Rag in my Shaman deck.I guess Sylvannas or another legendary could work,too.
Playing around BGH is futile in shaman anyway,because Boom and Neptulon are just too good to not play them.
Kind of want to try Troggzor and I have the dust to craft him,but I have no idea if he is any good in this deck.

Btw.do we have any shaman players here,besides me?
The UT nerf should help the class a bit,also because fewer people are going to play mct.

Kornflayx

That UT nerf is so satisfying. Running your Clockwork Gnome into a 4/2 UT, and seeing those Hunters realize that they need some new strategy feels good.

ViviOggi

Gonna be back in the game soon brehs, had no net for 6 weeks.

Fuck yes dat undertaker nerf 4 months late.
highfive.gif

I've switched to Mech Mage... err a lot better and the games are 5 times faster. I've just kept running in these Control decks and my Control deck is not complete enough to compete with them. Losing that fatigue war... yawn.

Also, I'm 90 dust short of crafting another legendary. I guess I should go with Alex for my Control warrior. I've already got Raggy, Hellscream and Sylvanas.
All I'm seeing is Mech Mage

I'm actually enjoying playing mech mage (Kolento's mirror entity version), even though I usually don't enjoy aggro decks. The deck isn't strictly aggro, since a lot of the time you win via an antonidus spare parts combo on turn 11, but the way it's set up is super aggressive. You take board control from turn 1 and you never let it go, and mirror entity works sort of like freezing trap for hunters because it stalls the opponent from taking back board control, and having mad scientists makes sure you get to use it very often.

Celegus

2 consecrates and 2 mc techs together seems counterproductive, and I'd probably replace cairne with boom since no 7 drops anyways (unless playing around bgh?), but other than that it's the new control warrior level of expensive meta awesome.

edit woah monster quote
edit again

Other than the naxx cards, I have like 3 of those. Too rich for my blood!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom