• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT2| Created by Unstable Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hm, I rather like it.

I'm not a fan, too gaudy. Next month's is pretty neat though:

Card_back-Lunar.png

Card back top 5:

1. Legend
2. Icecrown
3. Pandaria
4. Pirates
5. Fireside

Wonder how many people are working on card back designs. I would assume a few but I suppose it could be only one guy. I feel like that's got to be rough after a while. Seems like you'd eventually run out of ideas.

Or maybe they already have 100 ready to be animated and only special card backs, eg. Naxx and GvG, are made on the fly.

That makes me think, they should do a card back design contest.

Special C

Card backs should be a deck creation option not a blanket option for all decks. I'd like to be able to use a multitude of backs without changing it every time I want.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

Thanks Obama.

Seeing as how it's my first non-default card back, I'm currently loving it!

Although that pic of next month's back looks better, I'll agree.

Only heathens disenchant shinies. All hail the shiny cards!

I do it if it's a card I won't use. Got a gold Hobgoblin in my last batch of packs, that got turned into 400 dust pretty quick.

Also got a gold Gallywix, and as much as gold Gallywix's Coins would be neat, I got myself a Sneed's so I could play Randuin.

TheChaos0

Just got Mogor the Ogre. I know I shouldn't be complaining after getting 2 Legendaries in 2 packs but they both won't see the light of day. :p

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
You can try,he is not unplayable(just not that good),but Arcane Golem is just better when it comes to combos now.

I think he's still decent in Shaman and Hunter. In Shaman Leeroy + Windfury is a good replacement for a finisher if you don't have Al'akir.

mxgt

Banned
Mage gets Velen from unstable portal, stealths it then double fireballs me for 24 next turn.

Outplayed

Now that Undertaker is down ladder is all mech mage, all the time. Kinda boring.

2 consecrates and 2 mc techs together seems counterproductive, and I'd probably replace cairne with boom since no 7 drops anyways (unless playing around bgh?), but other than that it's the new control warrior level of expensive meta awesome.

edit woah monster quote
edit again

The deck intentionally has no BGH targets. That and playing dr. boom would almost always put me into serious danger of MCT, which several decks besides my own run now. If I were to cut a card for dr. boom, it would probably be sylvanas because they generally aim for the same role of board dominance. But since sylvanas eats a silence, and eating a silence or hex means something for tirion and kelthuzad, sylvanas is a better choice imo. I run cairne to just have a sticky minion. Pilotted sky golem fills the same role but dies easier and thus is less sticky. And I think silence hits the 6/4 harder than it does a 4/5, at least for surviving purposes. Also the consistency of Cairne is preferable to me, at least at the moment.

As for 2 consecrates and 2 mcts, that really isn't an issue at all tbh. Games with control paladin are pretty long and over the course of a match, many people play into MCT range at least once and often even twice tbh. Especially with dr. boom involved. Cards like MCT that extend the game are really beneficial to me. The main match ups where it is not useful are control warrior (already strong in that match up), freeze mage (again very strong in that match up), fatigue mage (same)... At least that is what I can think up atm. Maybe it is weak vs oil rogue but I'm not sure what a paladin can do to improve that match up even though I'm at a high winrate vs the class regardless.

Control paladin has always been quite expensive. I am running maybe 1 more legendary cards than I would have pre-gvg in this deck though. But you can replace cairne with pilotted sky golem so that cuts the cost down a lot.

Szadek

I run cairne to just have a sticky minion. Pilotted sky golem fills the same role but dies easier and thus is less sticky. And I think silence hits the 6/4 harder than it does a 4/5, at least for surviving purposes. Also the consistency of Cairne is preferable to me, at least at the moment.
Sky golem is only better in mech decks.The 4 drop is often worse than a 4/5 and only a few times better.There are tons of 3/3 for 4 mana.
In the worst case you get a 2/3,a 3/2 or a 4/1.

iirate

Sky golem is only better in mech decks.The 4 drop is often worse than a 4/5 and only a few times better.There are tons of 3/3 for 4 mana.
In the worst case you get a 2/3,a 3/2 or a 4/1.

The 6 attack on the main body is a big enough deal to make it favored in some decks(such as midrange paladin currently).

Out of all the aggro decks, I think mech mage is the most vulnerable to MCT. Especially now since they added mirror entity recently. Many times I triggered mirror entity and then played MCT. I saw it happen just the way I do it in the pinnacle finals. But I also run zombie chow so I'll minimize mirror entity impact with zombie chow and get myself some extra healing as well.

Dahbomb

Mad Scientist is still OP but another OP card doesn't justify the existence of a different OP card. They are both shitty cards that need the stick.

Majine

Banned
Mad Scientist is most of all a boring card. The best thing about secrets is you can sort of analyse your opponents behaviour beforehand to figure out what secrets they play, but not with a Mad Scientist. It's simply less strategy.

ViviOggi

Weren't the concerns that the nerf would kill aggro

There you have it

In two weeks people will be playing Hunter again just like it has always been

The mech aggro mage decks can be countered and beaten far easier than the pre-nerf UT was.

My deck held a solid 65%ish irrc record against mech mages and that was playing good players like backspace (whom I demolished with a turn 1 zombie chow opening). I checked the replay my app records and his opening hand was very good for the deck, like he had the gnome and several mechs so it wasn't an abnormal RNG thing where I had a great hand and his sucked.

I'm looking at the replay right now, his mulligan was good enough that he mulled 0 cards -
cogmaster, snowchugger, spidertank, goblin blastmage + coin and his first draw was mechwarper.

Can you ever ask for a better opening hand as mech mage? You have a turn 1, turn 2, turn 3, turn 4... insane.

I opened with zombie chow, recruit on turn 2, he coined out spider tank on turn 2. I played muster for battle and removed the tank on turn 3. By turn 3 I already have board control with 3 recruits and a weapon equipped. It went pretty down hill from there.

Dahbomb

Most of my decks only lost to Mech Mage when they were able to stealth an Antonidas and then destroy with Fireballs. Once you survive the early onslaught and the Blastmage RNG it's smooth sailing from there as long as you keep your life totals up to not get killed by Fireballs/Frost Bolts.

Cipherr

Unstable portal is such a great card. I know its RNG, but it can be extremely powerful. AND on top of that its one of the more fun cards in the game. I don't really understand why such an already strong class had to get that card.

This is why the undertaker nerf is bad.

No way man Undertaker needed to go.

Szadek

Unstable portal is such a great card. I know its RNG, but it can be extremely powerful. AND on top of that its one of the more fun cards in the game. I don't really understand why such an already strong class had to get that card.
Mages were pretty bad before GVG.

Mages were pretty bad before GVG.

Truth. Before GVG there was just Freeze and that weird Deathrattle/Secrets hybrid, which was pretty bad honestly.

I love Unstable Portal, even though it horribly screwed me in a game recently. Managed to get Gelbin, who spawned the healing invention, and that healed the enemy Paladin for 6 for five turns in a row. Then Gelbin himself got MCTeched. Then he dropped KT. That was a rough game.

Levi

Banned
That feel when you change decks, win 5 in a row, start to think you're good at the game, and then proceed to lose 7 in a row.

Humph.

Szadek

That feel when you change decks, win 5 in a row, start to think you're good at the game, and then proceed to lose 7 in a row.

Humph.
That's how tcg work.
Sometime you win 80% of the time,other time only 20%.
Luck is the best and worst part of these kind of games.
Every now and then you lose and there is nothing you could have done.
On the other hand,games will never play out exactly the same.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
The mech aggro mage decks can be countered and beaten far easier than the pre-nerf UT was.

Plus, mech mage is almost mid-range with as many 3 and 4 drops as it has. I don't feel like it's a "draw AoE" or lose type of deck at all. Maybe you still need to use 2-mana premium removal on the mechwarper but at least that's an even trade rather than an always-lose trade against undertaker. I think the people that complain about mech mage are the kind of folks who will never be satisfied until every aggressive deck is removed from the game. Like they play Starcraft as NR15 always.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Unless they make the key aggro cards legendaries or make some incredibly powerful common rare control cards, then aggro is always going to be very prevalent on ladder.

What Hunter aggro, mech Mage, and Zoo all have in common is that they're very affordable.

If you need 4+ legenaries and/or a bunch of epics to play a deck archetype, then no one but people who spend a fair amount of money or play constantly can use them. Well, I guess also people who melt all their cards to fill out one class, but they get screwed on dailies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom