• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT2| Created by Unstable Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Levi

Banned
Was losing to zoo, he had overwhelming board control and I couldn't get a minion to stick, when he pops my shredder and out comes a doomsayer. He has no cards and I proceed to top deck taunt after taunt to play on the now empty board. I won.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Guys, convince me to not craft gazlow.

You need 2 draws just to get value. But just getting value isn't enough, because he requires that you build your deck around him a bit. So you need him to be OP, which means you need to consistently get 3+ draws off of him. So that requires quite a bit of setup on the turn you play him.

Brofist

I'm starting to have mixed feelings about the "Shredder" line of cards that deathrattle another minion. It feels like what they spawn backfires at least a quarter of the time. It's nice to have that sticky minion I get it, but having cards that can throw even 1 out 4 or 5 games kind of sucks.

Magnus

Ok. I'm totally done buying packs. This is it till the next expansion. LOL

On average, since I started last summer, I got one Legendary per 15 packs or so, which is pretty awesome now that I look back at it. Disappointing number of epics now that I look at everything I have, and some of the epics have been total ass - I've definitely needed to craft the ones I needed for my main deck, for example, and the rares I get from packs are usually shit ones too. Three Target Dummies in one month….lol - but the rate of Legendary acquisition's made up for it.

I could use some advice. The awesome byproduct of the packs has been a lot of dust. After I get rid of the goldens, I'll be sitting at around 2700, I think.

I'll craft one legendary, and maybe some needed rares/epics? Or save for two legendaries?

Here's what I have so far. I main a Priest, and I don't really have a second go-to class yet. I'm tickled by Mage, Warlock, and Paladin, sorta.

I've got:

Cenarius
Tirion Fordring
Vol'jin (crafted)
Al'akir
Jaraxxus
Bloodmage Thalnos
Nat Pagle
Blingtron 3000
Leeroy
Cairne
Sylvanas (crafted)
Dr. Boom (crafted)
Ragnaros
Old Murk-Eye (surprise! I had no idea how this was obtained, so it was neat to see it pop up achievement-style!)
and obviously all the Naxx ones.

I got King Mukla and Millhouse Manastorm through packs too, but DE'd them. Mukla was my first one, too. Haha.

I'm thinking about nabbing Prophet Velen for the lols, or Antonidas to really make a Mech Mage deck work. I really dig the RNG nature of GvG; it's been wild seeing some crazy things unfold in games recently. So maybe Sneed's Old Shredder?

Total first world problem, I know. But I'd love input!

Guys, convince me to not craft gazlow.
Going off what ZealousD said, Gazlowe doesn't win you games. He just has a chance to make them more interesting. You also need to support him with more than just Spare Part cards and sometimes you'll just run out of spells before you draw him. I have fun playing with him but it's not really that amazing. He's also best suited for a control deck since he's so slow where having extra cards wins you the game.

That being said, nothing will beat the time I got an Iron Juggernaut and had three Time Rewinders in hand.

CoolOff

Reynad won something. :O

Noxious exits his apartment on the way to get coffee. He stops, as he does everyday, and says hello to the bum sleeping outside his building. "Sir, spare some change?" says the bum. "No, but I can give you a casting job"

:D

ViviOggi

Reynad won something. :O

Hey reynad has won tournaments before
his own

That Blingtron include makes so much sense for Mech Mage if you think about it, I'm not sure if it's strong enough to become a staple but definitely a cool idea. I've also been surprised by Noxious' casting, he provided decent insight on a consistent basis especially by HS standards.

ZZMitch

Craft Gazlowe :D

I use him in 4 of my ladder decks atm heh. The best one atm is my MechRouge which is currently 9-2 this season. Such a fun card and pretty effective in the right deck. I think Rouge is one of the best classes for a spare part based mech deck. You can use the spare parts (and deadly poison) with Gazlowe and they also work really well with Van Cleef.

ViviOggi

What's the consensus on Iron Juggernaut? I want to like it but it doesn't seem very productive.
Kind of cool but since Warrior's game plan does not guarantee getting (close) to fatigue more often than not he's just a vanilla midgame drop - which is the type of minion CW has absolutely no use for. And at 5 health it's not even a particularly good one.

Glad I held off on crafting it.

ZealousD

Kind of cool but since Warrior's game plan does not guarantee getting (close) to fatigue more often than not he's just a vanilla midgame drop - which is the type of minion CW has absolutely no use for. And at 5 health it's not even a particularly good one.

Glad I held off on crafting it.

Yeah I think it only sees use in control warrior vs another control. Or it's good against a fatigue deck. With control warrior against aggro, you force your opponent to run out of gas before they can draw it, and even against midrange you can't guarantee they'll draw it.

Brofist

Craft Gazlowe :D

I use him in 4 of my ladder decks atm heh. The best one atm is my MechRouge which is currently 9-2 this season. Such a fun card and pretty effective in the right deck. I think Rouge is one of the best classes for a spare part based mech deck. You can use the spare parts (and deadly poison) with Gazlowe and they also work really well with Van Cleef.

I just played against a deck like that on ladder, looked like a fun deck. person playing it played it poorly though, guy took all kinds of face damage killing my minions against my druid, was an easy win.

RE: Posts about legendaries:

Thalnos used to be pretty core in a lot of decks, but you can do without him these days, especially if you're missing a heavy hitter. He's still good, just a lot more situational in terms of being able to fit him in with what's currently popular in the meta.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Face hunter?

Face hunter.

Counter everything.

I feel like a fatigue warrior is bound to happen eventually. I might even try doing it. I don't have iron juggernaut yet and that seems like it would be a pretty important component for making sure your opponent dies first.

I think I would first cut out execute and shield block. Execute generally takes 2 cards to work, and shield block, while great for the hp, just cycles itself. Maybe I would keep shield block cause its kind of like a lay on hands. This leads to a more interesting question, if shield block is cut, do I cut shield slam? Not sure. Instead of execute, I'd run crush. I also think the deck would have more minions than standard control warrior, so I would much more often have injured minions. Bouncing blades is another candidate.

One huge thing I would have to account for is that the hero power doesn't really help the board state. I am hoping that the card value of the right set of cards could make the difference. Kelthuzad, sneed's old shredder, pilotted skygolem + cairne, sylvanas, and black knight, gorehowl, would make up the mid/late game. No BGH targets allowed.

Early game would be... zombie chow (I'll admit I am infatuated with this card atm), armorsmith, maybe taskmaster, win axe, death's bite...

I am starting to like how this is forming. Thoughts? I have little experience with control warrior.

So apparently the ladder is all mages right now. What's the hard counter to mech mage?

Face hunter?

Face hunter.

Counter everything.

2i0UbqC.jpg

Haly

Bouncing blade for 1 on Ironbeak Owl value!!!!

ZealousD

I feel like a fatigue warrior is bound to happen eventually. I might even try doing it. I don't have iron juggernaut yet and that seems like it would be a pretty important component for making sure your opponent dies first.

I think I would first cut out execute and shield block. Execute generally takes 2 cards to work, and shield block, while great for the hp, just cycles itself. Maybe I would keep shield block cause its kind of like a lay on hands. This leads to a more interesting question, if shield block is cut, do I cut shield slam? Not sure. Instead of execute, I'd run crush. I also think the deck would have more minions than standard control warrior, so I would much more often have injured minions. Bouncing blades is another candidate.

One huge thing I would have to account for is that the hero power doesn't really help the board state. I am hoping that the card value of the right set of cards could make the difference. Kelthuzad, sneed's old shredder, pilotted skygolem + cairne, sylvanas, and black knight, gorehowl, would make up the mid/late game. No BGH targets allowed.

Early game would be... zombie chow (I'll admit I am infatuated with this card atm), armorsmith, maybe taskmaster, win axe, death's bite...

I am starting to like how this is forming. Thoughts? I have little experience with control warrior.

Fatigue warrior won't be a thing. There's nothing in the warrior's arsenal that can do fatigue better than Druid or Mage. No way to force your opponet to draw cards, so you're just trying to attrition them with your hero power, which isn't enough. Warrior excels best by forcing aggro and mid-range decks to run out of gas by efficiently trading with weapons while armoring up and using hyper-efficient removals with shield slam and execute. Then you finish the opponent off with Alexstrasza, Ragnaros, and most importantly, Grommash. There's no need to kill them slowly when you can kill them explosively.

Fatigue warrior won't be a thing. There's nothing in the warrior's arsenal that can do fatigue better than Druid or Mage. No way to force your opponet to draw cards, so you're just trying to attrition them with your hero power, which isn't enough. Warrior excels best by forcing aggro and mid-range decks to run out of gas by efficiently trading with weapons while armoring up and using hyper-efficient removals with shield slam and execute. Then you finish the opponent off with Alexstrasza, Ragnaros, and most importantly, Grommash. There's no need to kill them slowly when you can kill them explosively.

My fatigue paladin hit legend last season with a 68% winrate. It doesn't win by forcing card draw, it wins in a prolonged war of attrition. I also beat every fatigue mage deck I came across.

Here is my first cut, although I am still considering several changes before I even begin testing. I don't have juggernaut and I don't have sneed's shredder.

New_Bitmap_Image.png

I'm gonna have to fit 2 shieldmaidens in as the first thing I do. And it is even possible that armorsmith might not be high enough value.

edit:
Also, something that druid and mage don't have is a consistent source of healing. This can help get them over some rough spots where paladin or mage might have to hope for a healing top deck. I need to take that difference and make it an advantage. I think this difference allows me to include less healing and focus more on board control. Thus not running healbot and probably cutting armorsmith and shield block altogether. Shieldmaiden is too high value to pass up though.

Brofist

Some people say Zoo counters Mech Mage. They can pump out minions while still having card advantage.

I do fairly well in the zoo vs. mech mage matchup playing zoo.

If the mage gets an insane opener, or good rng on the Goblin Blastmage it's tough to win though.

ZealousD

That's not fatigue paladin. That's just a regular midrangey/control Paladin....

Fatigue decks have the specific goal in mind of depleting your opponent's deck more quickly than your own. Their win condition is forcing your opponent into fatigue and then using that fatigue damage to win. With that Paladin deck you can win way before that.

The deck's goal is to win through fatigue, therefore it is a fatigue deck. That doesn't mean I don't fight for board, hit face when capable, or try to kill them before fatigue hits.

I understand the differences between my paladin fatigue deck and mage fatigue. Mage fatigue tries to make you hit fatigue faster through deathlord, my deck makes you hit fatigue faster by running little card draw itself and hitting hero power often so force the opponent to spend cards, mana, or time removing them. Hero power is even more powerful now due to the threat of quartermaster.

Not every deck in the same archetype works the same way. Fatigue is interesting. There are 2 ways to win fatigue. Be ahead in hp when fatigue hits, and have your opponent hit fatigue first. My deck works on both of those levels.

Dahbomb

Nah man I have to agree with him, that's a control deck more so than a fatigue deck. If that was a Fatigue deck you would have something like Coldlight Oracle to do big damage when they reach Fatigue. You really don't have any card that takes advantage of the fatigue state. The only thing out of the ordinary is having 2 Healbots for the extra heals.

iirate

Nah man I have to agree with him, that's a control deck more so than a fatigue deck. If that was a Fatigue deck you would have something like Coldlight Oracle to do big damage when they reach Fatigue. You really don't have any card that takes advantage of the fatigue state. The only thing out of the ordinary is having 2 Healbots for the extra heals.

I have to agree with Mobius here - fatigue isn't defined by the presence or absence of Coldlight, but instead a general strategy. His deck's primary win con is fatigue damage, so it's a fatigue deck. It's ALSO a control deck, but control is a really broad archetype.

I have to agree with Mobius here - fatigue isn't defined by the presence or absence of Coldlight, but instead a general strategy. His deck's primary win con is fatigue damage, so it's a fatigue deck. It's ALSO a control deck, but control is a really broad archetype.

Precisely.

My first run with the warrior deck (still missing a few cards like sneeds and juggernaut), was a success. And of course I ran into druid. After I used KT and only got a 5/5 out of the deal, he had to use FON+SR to clear the board. His deck was running only 1 fon, but double savage roar. I ended up winning in the fatigue stage because his deck ran a lot of card draw (double ancient of lore, double azure drake), so he hit fatigue a solid 5-6 turns before I would have. I am also positive that the missing cards would have made an impact bigger than what I was running.

It ended with me having 2 hp + 2 armor, winning because of hero power extending my life just enough to draw into one of my last 2 taunts. After that he couldn't even break down a single taunt, running out of resources. Even though he had like 27 hp, and I had 4hp, I won due to him hitting fatigue faster (plus I had about 10 attack on the board).

I learned a bit about the deck and will continue to work out the kinks. Plus winning my first match against a class that traditionally dominates my class feels pretty good.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
So apparently the ladder is all mages right now. What's the hard counter to mech mage?

I'm seeing a lot of decks built around Warrior's Fiery War Axe's 3 damage perfectly taking out most of the worst early game minions like Mech Warper and Cogmaster, and Death's Bite 4 damage taking out a lot of the mid game options, like Goblin Blastmage and Azure Drake, or if you include the 1 damage to all minions deathrattle, Mechanical Yeti and Loatheb.

Certainly giving my mech mage a lot of problems, and I just played against it 3 times in a row so it's apparently a trend.

The Adder

Banned
A suggestion for a change to Mad Scientist that nerfs its effectiveness while leaving it not only playable, but also allows other classes to play it:

"Put a random secret onto the battlefield."

Haly

A suggestion for a change to Mad Scientist that nerfs its effectiveness while leaving it not only playable, but also allows other classes to play it:

It would have to be a 1/1 for that to be even close to fair.

My god can you imagine playing against zoolock and having to play guess the secret?

Brofist

Would that be within the class or from any of the secrets?

Dahbomb

That would still be very good. The real reason why Mad Scientist is good is that it's a 2 mana 2/2 but you get a free 2 to 3 mana Secret card for FREE! You don't pay the mana to even cast it, it's cast automatically on death.

Your suggestion would also basically create a card out of thin air because they aren't even pulling a card out of their deck meaning if in a situation they used up all their secrets they would still get a free secret.

In Arena this card would be god tier pick all day. Hell in constructed it would be too good...

*Warlock opens with Undertaker coin Leper Gnome, second turn Mad Scientist. You somehow kill the board with a Consecrate and a secret comes up. It's a Mage Secret. He fills up a board again, you try to board clear again but OOPS... it was a Counter Spell!

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
That change would make mad scientist so much better it would be disgusting, lol.

It's pretty easy to fix, just make it add the secret to your hand. He gives crazy value due to saving you from drawing a secret and bypassing using the mana to cast it.

Dahbomb

That change would make mad scientist so much better it would be disgusting, lol.

It's pretty easy to fix, just make it add the secret to your hand. He gives crazy value due to saving you from drawing a secret and bypassing using the mana to cast it.
Yes this is a good fix. I would even settle with the Secret costing 1 mana less if they feel this would be too much of a nerf.

Brofist

How about a weapon version of the Mad Scientist that automatically equips a weapon from your deck? That would be fun. Mad Weaponsmith.

Could make Mad Scientist work like the secrets themselves, and only activate on the opponent's turn, meaning the opponent has to kill it for it to activate.

Strider

The craziest thing I've seen with mad scientist is when watching Zilea's stream... he played Deathwing when the Mage had a Mad Scientist on the board. The Mad Scientist brought out a Mirror Entity which copied the Deathwing.

Needless to say Zilea's reaction was amazing.

The Adder

Banned
It would have to be a 1/1 for that to be even close to fair.

Really? Current Mad Scientist is useable for only 3 classes (unless other classes want a 2/2 for 2 for some reason). Sure, it requires you to take up 1+ spaces for cards in your deck, but it also guarantees you get a card that's a part of your deck's strategy. In addition, for Mage and Hunter it's a guaranteed value gain.

That change makes it useable for every class as well as makes it so the person playing it isn't guaranteed to get a card that's a part of their deck's strategy (and since secrets stay the color of the class they belong to the opponent always knows what cards it could be).

It's still all up side, but I don't see how it's more up side than it was before and thusly necessitates lowering its attack and hp (though if you want to argue it needs that nerf anyways, that's another thing).

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
How about a weapon version of the Mad Scientist that automatically equips a weapon from your deck? That would be fun. Mad Weaponsmith.

Could make Mad Scientist work like the secrets themselves, and only activate on the opponent's turn, meaning the opponent has to kill it for it to activate.

Incoming Gladiator's Longbow hunters everywhere.

That'd be an interesting scientist change but given Blizzard trying to make every simple I don't think they would do that to only one specific deathrattle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom