• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT2| Created by Unstable Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
That change makes it useable for every class as well as makes it so the person playing it isn't guaranteed to get a card that's a part of their deck's strategy (and since secrets stay the color of the class they belong to the opponent always knows what cards it could be).

It's still all up side, but I don't see how it's more up side than it was before and thusly necessitates lowering its attack and hp (though if you want to argue it needs that nerf anyways, that's another thing).

1) Since Mad Scientist currently pulls from your deck, it means you need to have secrets to even get anything out of it in the first place, taking up deck slots.
2) When you have no Secrets, Mad Scientist is a vanilla 2/2 that in fringe cases buffs Undertaker
3) The lowest cost of a secret is 1 mana. Getting a random one means you're getting at least 1 mana worth of spells from your proposed Scientist, even if its Eye for an Eye. Otherwise, you have the potential to get a 3 mana spell out of your 2 mana 2/2
4) It would be really frustrating to play against, because you can never read the secret. Against Hunters, you know it's either Explosive, Freezing, or Snake. You'll make your decisions according to which one you want to trigger the least. Freeze Mage/Fatigue is probably Ice Block, Frost Armor. Echo Mage is Duplicate, Mirror Image. What are you going to do when the Handlock on the other side has a purple secret icon over their portrait? What play do you dare to make in that case? And every Secret Blizzard introduces from here on in will make your Mad Scientist more and more frustrating.

Secrets are generally narrow, unreliable cards. People aren't playing Mad Scientist to get their Secrets out. They're putting Secrets in their decks to make Mad Scientist a value play. And you want to introduce a class agnostic Mad Scientist that frees up 2-3 deck slots for other things!

2-0 with my fatigue warrior deck. Second match up vs control warrior, although it had some weird card choices. Crush was really good in the match up since it took care of ragnaros and the front end of sneed's shredder (gorehowl took care of the back end which was a cenarius + a minion who was revived by kethuzad). I even made a mistake of using baine to kill off cenarius when I could have used cairne and gotten a second baine. And then when I was calculating damage for lethal I played another card forgetting about baine coming back lol. He played some taunts so it all worked out. I guess he never pulled brawl, which is what I was attempting to play around.

The warrior also broke my death's bite, then I just played a gorehowl. I bet he felt sad about that lol.

edit:
Oh, funny moment from the first match was when I played 7 mana crush on an injured 4/1 azure drake. That was funny. 7 mana to deal 1 damage. But it was the right move since it extended the match by 2 turns. I actually almost lost that match because I didn't have brawl in the deck yet. Instead I had faceless which I ended up getting a decent 4/6 dotc taunt out of it, but still the brawl would have killed 3 and maybe even 4 minions instead of just killing 1 minion.

Brawl might even be good enough to run 2 of in this deck depending on the meta. I'm thinking more aggro, less brawl, more control more brawl. That might seem backwards to control warriors because brawl is traditionally greatest against aggro. But in this deck brawl against control might have 2 really good opportunities over the course of a very long game whereas vs aggro I'll probably only have 1 (even though having 2 might mean I have the brawl when I want it more consistently, which is something to consider as well). I could be wrong about this analysis though since I am not really a control warrior player before this deck.

Face Hunter must be hard to play. 2 turns... 2 wolf riders. Gets a spare part from the one drop. Animal Companion into Huffer and somehow gets his 1/7 stealth part so that's auto 8 damage. Salt Salt Salt

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard
If people emoting bothers you, then squelch. I make a habit of passing a greetings then immediately squelching. Emotes add nothing for me; I'm only roping if I have something to genuinely consider and don't need the distraction of the other players' impatience - if there were an option to default emotes off I would. If I really have anything to say or ask I'll friend after the fact.

Ego poisons the mind and instills a misplaced sense of entitlement to cards/RNG that will only stifle your creativity and limit your judgement. I find more pleasure in my victories and more lessons from my defeats when I play with magnanimity. Real talk.

I do, but only if they're an asshole first. And if I win, I return their taunt.

Has nothing to do with entitlement, what an odd comment.

Now I understand how a control warrior feels against freeze mage :resident sleeper.jpg:

And now I understand how a freeze mage feels against control warrior
55711366.jpg

And every time a freeze mage doesn't concede against a control warrior (especially a fatigue oriented deck like my own)
521778350_186903492_DUDE_WTF_IS_WRONG_WITH_YOU_answer_8_xlarge.jpeg

He probably thought he had a chance. But even after alexstrasza I still had 45 hp and I'm not even running shield block. Just shieldmaiden and hero power atm. He at least helped me by decking himself out faster with double acolytes on the board.

Dreavus

Getting down on my arena luck lately. I had a shaman deck that didn't have the opportunity to draft anything worthwhile over 4 mana.

Seemed "OK" on the outset, but I didn't have the 1-2 drops to make it very aggressive.

Levi

Banned
Ranked is a steaming pile of bullshit. I've been playing this game for three weeks and im fucking rank 17. Why am I facing golden fucking heroes with the legend card back. Jfc.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Priests are genuinely my least favorite class to fight. There is never a match where some fuckery doesn't happen.

Tacitus_

[Qevi;150384413]Had a priest manage to thought steal force of nature AND savage roar. Wtf[/QUOTE]

The first stole my taunts and the second my shield block T_T

Can't get too salty though, face warrior is kinda gimmicky in the first place and I'm running a cheapo version at that.

Ranked is a steaming pile of bullshit. I've been playing this game for three weeks and im fucking rank 17. Why am I facing golden fucking heroes with the legend card back. Jfc.

Most likely you are not very good ;) Remember by now lots of people are and gvg brought a lot of those people back to start again at higher ranks.

That aside, keep at it because once you hit about rank 15 you will only ever face like three different decks. You should then be able to plan appropriately and it will get more consistant.

It'll also get easier as the month goes on. If anything you could give it another week and you'll find it a lot easier.

Tacitus_

It's because the ladder just reset. I just faced an inner fire gimmick priest and right after that a golden ramp druid at rank 20... would've won both but the druid had not one but TWO healing touches :d

Hm I think I'm going to have to put the ramp druid on hold again, the matchup vs mirror mage is really awful, for pretty much the same reasons as it was vs face hunter but even worse.

Mirror mage seems like a good rank climber, though. It has no obvious counters yet and mirror matches are usually easy because it seems like most of them are just former low-rank zoo players and just flood the board without consideration instead of looking for long-term lethal setups.

Mirror mage seems like a good rank climber, though. It has no obvious counters yet and mirror matches are usually easy because it seems like most of them are just former low-rank zoo players and just flood the board without consideration instead of looking for long-term lethal setups.

Spellpower rogue. Still the secret best deck.

Szadek

That's what happen at the beginning of a new season.
Also,it's ranked.where everyone plays their best deck.

Edit:Just drew my 3. Dr Boom.
Blizzard,plz nerf him already.I want my 3200 dust.

Dragner

I finished 6th rank playing like only last 10 days of the season, now Im struggling to get past 19th with the same deck (handlock), a lot of people is trying to rush this levels using CANCER (face hunter and mechmage). Obviously my deck isnt very good right now, the meta is hostile but I enjoy a lot playing it...will have to join the cancer troops to rank past 10th and have a diverse meta again.

I finished 6th rank playing like only last 10 days of the season, now Im struggling to get past 19th with the same deck (handlock), a lot of people is trying to rush this levels using CANCER (face hunter and mechmage). Obviously my deck isnt very good right now, the meta is hostile but I enjoy a lot playing it...will have to join the cancer troops to rank past 10th and have a diverse meta again.

Complains about cancer decks... plays Handlock.

Nicely done.

Does anyone know if Light Bomb is effected by Spell Power? That's something I'll have to try sometime.

Yes it is.

So i found something out today if you mindcontrol a minion that has blessing of wisdom on it. The opponent still draws cards when you attack with it, cost me the arena match i find that logic to be pretty dumb.

Eh I don't consider handlock cancer because it requires thought and skill to play it especially in the control matchup.

Depends on how you interpret it, but it is still playing the same old deck as everybody else.

Can't really complain about lack of diversity at one rank if you are part of the problem at another.

Dragner

Eh I don't consider handlock cancer because it requires thought and skill to play it especially in the control matchup.

Nobody consider it, Handlock is a respected deck by the pro community (a lot of them play handlock on tournament scene regularly), so yeah, handlock the same as facehunter makes me think if people are playing the same game as me.

Depends on how you interpret it, but it is still playing the same old deck as everybody else.

Can't really complain about lack of diversity at one rank if you are part of the problem at another.

Handlock is a small % of the meta, I can go days without playing a mirror match, in the same time I play against 30 zoo decks.

Maybe US servers are all handlock but EU at least handlock is a narrow deck out of legend.

Maybe US servers are all handlock but EU at least handlock is a narrow deck out of legend.

Well I can't speak for the EU, but there is always a shitload of Handlock on the US. The more "respected" a deck is? The more people you will have copying it trying to be pro.

It might be take longer to play than face hunter, but it isn't exactly rocket science to tap 4 turns and drop a mountain giant. Even if people suck playing it, they will still win more often than not.

Szadek

Well I can't speak for the EU, but there is always a shitload of Handlock on the US. The more "respected" a deck is? The more people you will have copying it trying to be pro.

It might be take longer to play than face hunter, but it isn't exactly rocket science to tap 4 turns and drop a mountain giant. Even if people suck playing it, they will still win more often than not.
and that's the best way to lose to aggro.

and that's the best way to lose to aggro.

Well lucky you'll get plenty of practice at it.

The other option is to not play Handlock exactly as copied off a website from some pro tournament result, but to actually think about the deck and substitute in cards to help.

Just a thought.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
My Handlock play is pretty crap and even I know rushing to play mountain giant asap is a recipe to lose. Its the drake that should come down first.

Dragner

Its not rocket science?, yeah, tap like a mad vs zoo, mechmage, hunter, mill,...you can only tap freely against priest,against warrior you have to deploy some duders to break armor so your giants doesnt eat a shield slam, against druid yo have to know when to deploy drakes or giants to play around BGH or groves, against hunter you have to not tap at all mostly, only to calculate the rush damage to make molten+ healthbot the same turn to have a chance...its not that easy.

Saying handlock is an easy deck is a joke.

Its not rocket science?, yeah, tap like a mad vs zoo, mechmage, hunter, mill,...you can only tap freely against priest,against warrior you have to deploy some duders to break armor so your giants doesnt eat a shield slam, against druid yo have to know when to deploy drakes or giants to play around BGH or groves, against hunter you have to not tap at all mostly, only to calculate the rush damage to make molten+ healthbot the same turn to have a chance...its not that easy.

Saying handlock is an easy deck is a joke.

I'm saying you are taking the weak option by playing the exact same deck every pro player does.

That makes it easy to play, because you are not only copying the cards, but you can copy the mulligans and strategies of all the huge amount of people who play the deck.

That might make it interesting for you, but it is boring as hell for anybody else playing against it because they know exactly what you and every Handlock player will do every single time. They know every card in your hand and what you will play on every turn because they saw the same video you did.

So might as well play mechmage and be done with it rather than trying to claim some moral higher ground.

Szadek

My Handlock play is pretty crap and even I know rushing to play mountain giant asap is a recipe to lose. Its the drake that should come down first.
Against aggro,both are often too slow.
Mountain is usually a dead draw altogether,because you need to play something before the overrun you.
As a result it's very hard to play summon him at all.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I think a card that when killed drew you a weapon would be fine, I think the game is still lacking in card draw overall.

Handlock is super common on NA, past 10 they are just as common as mech mage.

Szadek

I'm saying you are taking the weak option by playing the exact same deck every pro player does.

That makes it easy to play, because you are not only copying the cards, but you can copy the mulligans and strategies of all the huge amount of people who play the deck.

That might make it interesting for you, but it is boring as hell for anybody else playing against it because they know exactly what you and every Handlock player will do every single time. They know every card in your hand and what you will play on every turn because they saw the same video you did.

So might as well play mechmage and be done with it rather than trying to claim some moral higher ground.
Oh,I see you are one of those people that think netdecking is always bad.
These people usually know very little about TCG/CCG.

IceMarker

What, did you lose all your stars? What kind of deck are you running?

Beast-centric Malorne Rampdeck. I'm really fucking shit at deck building apparently because I'm not allowed to have fun in any meta without netdecking (oh, btw without any "good" legendaries in my collection). Maybe I'm just tired and salty because it's almost 6am and I'm slamming my fist on my desk for no reason. First night I finally give up on Casual mode forever and it fucking sucks donkey ass.

Yhs2Hw6.png

I'm just constantly shifting the deck around now. This image is now old as of 5 games ago.

Xanathus

Beast-centric Malorne Rampdeck. I'm really fucking shit at deck building apparently because I'm not allowed to have fun in any meta without netdecking (oh, btw without any "good" legendaries in my collection). Maybe I'm just tired and salty because it's almost 6am and I'm slamming my fist on my desk for no reason. First night I finally give up on Casual mode forever and it fucking sucks donkey ass.

1. It's the start of the new season, you're going up against rank 5+ players from previous season.
2. Netdecks are netdecks for a reason, they simply are good and synergize and have a game plan. Beast Druid isn't a meta deck because there simply isn't enough synergy between the beast cards for Druid and Druid of the Fang is garbage without beast synergy.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I have never seen a Druid actually run Malorne, so I'm inclined to think its not very good.

Things I see often are the good Ol' Force of Nature/Savage Roar combo, and people running Ancient of Lore for card draw or pinch healing. You could also run Azure Drake to combo with Swipe, I have seen that be really effective. I feel you are ramping up for very little payoff, you have a bunch of taunts but no real payoff.

The Beast Synergy just isn't that great right now for Druid. I also think you should work in some card draw.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Well, you are going to get a really gimped druid deck then. Do you have Kel'Thuzad? You could maybe make use of him to leverage your bulky taunts more, and maybe stick Cult Master or Nourish in to get more card draw.

Magnus

Love some advice on the best way to melt my 3200 dust. Either 2 legendaries, or 1 and a bunch of crucial epics/rares I'm missing.

Have
Cenarius
Tirion Fordring
Vol'jin (crafted)
Al'akir
Jaraxxus
Bloodmage Thalnos
Nat Pagle
Blingtron 3000
Leeroy
Cairne
Sylvanas (crafted)
Dr. Boom (crafted)
Ragnaros
Old Murk-Eye
All Naxx Legends

Potentials
Alexstrasza - Seems she's key to Warrior and Handlock, and since I recently got a couple of giants and Jaraxxus, I wanted to give the latter a try, while also enabling Warrior down the line (although I don't think I'll craft a Grommash right now)
Sneed's - I dig RNG. Seems like fun!
Antonidas - Again, fun effect for a class I dig playing, enables Mech Mage to really shine
Velen - Fun legendary, if not that great on the tier list apparently, rounds out my main class' card list
Mimiron's Head - Fun, and no one seems to ever mention it. Seems like it would almost be a staple in a Mech deck, no?
Harrison Jones - Yeah, everyone says he's awesome in the current weapon-heavy meta, but I'd rather get legendaries that have been consistently dependable....right?
The Black Knight - boring, but a staple in some competitive decks, right?
Ysera - Dependable, immediate effect, safe from BGHs, seems great
Troggzor - Tomorrow's Dr. Boom? Maybe I'll just wait for the Boom nerf to make this one....lol

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I don't think I have ever seen a Handlock pull out Alexstrasza to be honest. Only seen it run on Warier and Fatigue Mage.

Antonidas is a great great card in Mech Mage, often does a lot more then Dr. Boom in the deck, he can help close out games where you have run out of steam. Sadly he is more of a turn 9 drop, since you need to be able to play your spare parts the turn he comes out, which can make him a bit late.\

Mimiron's Head is super hard to pull off. You need to have 4 mechs on the board when your turn starts, its not easy to do.

Magnus

I don't think I have ever seen a Handlock pull out Alexstrasza to be honest. Only seen it run on Warier and Fatigue Mage.

Ah, shit. I must be looking at old Handlock strats and descriptions. Saw a couple describe her as a staple for the deck, lol. In truth, I haven't seen a warlock pull one out either.

I absolutely wouldn't bother crafting Mimiron's Head. I pulled one from a pack and it's just too inconsistent to recommend. When it actually works it's amazing but it's essentially a crapshoot in every game even when you run it in Rogue with Conceal.

It's a fun card but there are way more useful and consistent cards on your list that you could craft instead.

Magnus

Antonidas is a great great card in Mech Mage, often does a lot more then Dr. Boom in the deck, he can help close out games where you have run out of steam. Sadly he is more of a turn 9 drop, since you need to be able to play your spare parts the turn he comes out, which can make him a bit late.\

Mimiron's Head is super hard to pull off. You need to have 4 mechs on the board when your turn starts, its not easy to do.

I absolutely wouldn't bother crafting Mimiron's Head. I pulled one from a pack and it's just too inconsistent to recommend. When it actually works it's amazing but it's essentially a crapshoot in every game even when you run it in Rogue with Conceal.

It's a fun card but there are way more useful and consistent cards on your list that you could craft instead.

Fuck, I totally misread the card. Thought you could play it with 4 mechs on the board to transform into VOLTRON. That would of course, be way too OP now that I think about it. Yeah, screw it.

Alright, scratched two (Alex and Mimi). Progress!

IceMarker

Well, you are going to get a really gimped druid deck then. Do you have Kel'Thuzad? You could maybe make use of him to leverage your bulky taunts more, and maybe stick Cult Master or Nourish in to get more card draw.

Huh, Kel'Thuzad and a Acolyte of Pain seem to be working, thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom