• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT2| Created by Unstable Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magnus

Rogue arena draft (other choices were Warrior and Warlock). Unsure if totally dig this, but I don't know Rogue very well. Let's see what happens. HearthArena classifies it as a Classic Aggro Rogue.

ZQDtfo8.jpg

Tacitus_

Ah, shit. I must be looking at old Handlock strats and descriptions. Saw a couple describe her as a staple for the deck, lol. In truth, I haven't seen a warlock pull one out either.

Alex was a staple for handlock uhh... last Spring-ish?

That's a lot of mechwarpers for not a lot of mechs.

Eh, it's still a 2/3 2 drop.Though 8 2 drops and 2 chows is too lopsided with that carddraw.

Dragner

You want to have fun or be competitive?. For funsies Sneed is great, you have a blast playing with it specially if you an combo it with some of the deathrattle trigger effects...and BTW the card is competitive also.

You want some more solid rounded competitive cards? Alex, Harrison and Black Knight are solid and can go in a lot of decks.

So my recommendation?, Sneed (for fun + competitve appeal) + Harrison (An all star staple that will be always useful).

Szadek

Ah, shit. I must be looking at old Handlock strats and descriptions. Saw a couple describe her as a staple for the deck, lol. In truth, I haven't seen a warlock pull one out either.
Well,depending on the meta you can run Alex over Jaxxarus,or both in a control meta,but right now you really don't need her.

IceMarker

Okay now I'm on a win streak after a few card changes, then again could be just RNGstone being RNGstone.

TYfT0uQ.png

Malorne is great removal bait.

embalm

Beast-centric Malorne Rampdeck. I'm really fucking shit at deck building apparently because I'm not allowed to have fun in any meta without netdecking (oh, btw without any "good" legendaries in my collection). Maybe I'm just tired and salty because it's almost 6am and I'm slamming my fist on my desk for no reason. First night I finally give up on Casual mode forever and it fucking sucks donkey ass.

Yhs2Hw6.png

I'm just constantly shifting the deck around now. This image is now old as of 5 games ago.
If you're going Beast, I would recommend basing your deck off of Token druid instead of Ramp. Beast Druid leans towards a combos, so try to find advantages where other cards benefit from the same combo cards. Ramp beast just can't be done well yet.

-2 Wild Growth - We aren't going to ramp, we are going to battle for the board from the start
-2 Jungle Panther - We want an early presence and minions that trade well
-2 Antique Healbot - Since you're battling for the board we need less healing
-2 Ancient Protector - We want to bring the mana curve down by a lot.

+2 Power of the Wild - We want this to buff our teacher and spider tokens, it is also a beast when summoned as a 3/2
+2 Haunted Creeper - A beast that most enemies don't trade against, they will usually leave it alone, and it's cheap enough to combo with Snake Druid
+2 Violet Teacher - Token machine. Forces the enemy to pay attention to our board
+2 Ancient of Lore - Card draw, you need card draw

Other possible changes:
-2 Sludge belcher : +1 Savage Roar & +1 Force of Nature This combo steals games.
-1 Owl, -1 Ancient of War : +1 Savage Roar & +1 Force of Nature

IceMarker

If you're going Beast, I would recommend basing your deck off of Token druid instead of Ramp. Beast Druid leans towards a combos, so try to find advantages where other cards benefit from the same combo cards. Ramp beast just can't be done well yet.

-2 Wild Growth - We aren't going to ramp, we are going to battle for the board from the start
-2 Jungle Panther - We want an early presence and minions that trade well
-2 Antique Healbot - Since you're battling for the board we need less healing
-2 Ancient Protector - We want to bring the mana curve down by a lot.

+2 Power of the Wild - We want this to buff our teacher and spider tokens, it is also a beast when summoned as a 3/2
+2 Haunted Creeper - A beast that most enemies don't trade against, they will usually leave it alone, and it's cheap enough to combo with Snake Druid
+2 Violet Teacher - Token machine. Forces the enemy to pay attention to our board
+2 Ancient of Lore - Card draw, you need card draw

Other possible changes:
-2 Sludge belcher : +1 Savage Roar & +1 Force of Nature This combo steals games.
-1 Owl, -1 Ancient of War : +1 Savage Roar & +1 Force of Nature

Don't have any of the bolded cards. See the updated image a couple posts above.

Celegus

Eh, it's still a 2/3 2 drop.Though 8 2 drops and 2 chows is too lopsided with that carddraw.

Yeah they're still not bad on their own, but just unfortunate there's no big mechs to utilize. They'll undoubtedly get focus fired since your opponent doesn't know what's in your hand. But with that many cheap cards and the only card draw is one loot hoarder... that's not going very far.

Magnus

Yeah they're still not bad on their own, but just unfortunate there's no big mechs to utilize. They'll undoubtedly get focus fired since your opponent doesn't know what's in your hand. But with that many cheap cards and the only card draw is one loot hoarder... that's not going very far.

It's a bit of a mess so far. I'm 2-2. Lucked out with Flesheating Ghoul getting strong on one of those and melting face.

Levi

Banned
Most likely you are not very good ;) .

Correct. So I shouldn't be facing golden portrait heroes rocking the legendary card back. I would prefer skill based match making. Instead I'm an easy star for a legend player who is starting at the bottom of the ladder. I dropped 4 ranks last night, ugh. (14 to 18)

Agraavan

Yes it is.

So i found something out today if you mindcontrol a minion that has blessing of wisdom on it. The opponent still draws cards when you attack with it, cost me the arena match i find that logic to be pretty dumb.

I discovered it the wrong way, too. But that makes sense if you think about it. It draw a card for the caster and for that reason, sometimes you cast it on a enemy minion and still benefit from the effect.

Szadek

Correct. So I shouldn't be facing golden portrait heroes rocking the legendary card back. I would prefer skill based match making. Instead I'm an easy star for a legend player who is starting at the bottom of the ladder. I dropped 4 ranks last night, ugh. (14 to 18)
You could just not play ranked at the start of a new season.
Come to think of it, you shouldn't play ranked at all when you aren't ready to face competitive decks.

Magnus

One more deck brought to you by HearthArena. I'd say I accurately predicted 20 out of the 30 cards it would pick....let's see what happens.

mVpYCfs.jpg

Levi

Banned
You could just not play ranked at the start of a new season.
Come to think of it, you shouldn't play ranked at all when you aren't ready to face competitive decks.

Well arena is a waste of time and unranked is pointless. I'll bang my head against ranked until I get good, and that's on me, but it doesn't change the fact that the matchmaking is clearly bullshit.

Magnus

I just Onyxia'd in Arena and hit Power of the Wild and hit Onyxia with a buff for +4 attack. I was at 1 health, but did 24 damage to his face and won. Felt good.

gutshot

Well arena is a waste of time and unranked is pointless. I'll bang my head against ranked until I get good, and that's on me, but it doesn't change the fact that the matchmaking is clearly bullshit.

It's not matchmaking though. Now, if you want to make a case that the seasons are too short and/or the reset too harsh on high-ranked players, I think you'll find a lot of people in agreement. But complaining about matchmanking in ranked doesn't make much sense.

Levi

Banned
It's not matchmaking though. Now, if you want to make a case that the seasons are too short and/or the reset too harsh on high-ranked players, I think you'll find a lot of people in agreement. But complaining about matchmanking in ranked doesn't make much sense.

Ladder needs a lot of work. Blizzard won't add a deck slot because it'll scare away new players but they have no problem letting new players be easy fodder for experienced ones.

Dragner

Agh I hate Malganis, I pulled almost no legends from GvG boosters but somehow I pulled 3 malganis!!!. I keep one and tried demonlock but I cant play such high strenght guys in a BGH heavy meta unless they are torally bonkers (doctor balanced)

Agh I hate Malganis, I pulled almost no legends from GvG boosters but somehow I pulled 3 malganis!!!. I keep one and tried demonlock but I cant play such high strenght guys in a BGH heavy meta unless they are torally bonkers (doctor balanced)
If you want to run Mal'Ganis, you'll need other cards to bait removal first. Mal'Ganis should be the last big guy you play.

Tacitus_

I don't understand people who play Felreaver when their opponent has a sizeable hand. I made him go from ~20 cards to fatigue in two turns >_>

I get the theory that those cards that burned up are the exact same as cards that you never would have drawn anyway, but in practice, Fel Reaver is just a big minion that eats removal and you spent at least 4 cards to eat that removal. But it's pretty easy to exploit Fel Reaver and it's not unrealistic to burn 12 cards and not get to do much with it but remove 1 taunt. In theory, the downside isn't all that bad, in the real world, it can be crippling and makes the card not worth playing. People experimented with Fel Reaver for like a week after GvG released and never put it in another deck after that.

Dahbomb

I only have one Mountain Giant in my Handlock and for good reason. Most of the time it comes out it usually gets BGH'd anyway and I lose all sorts of tempo. Actually thinking of even replacing that one with a better early game card.

And Handlock takes way more skill to play than Zoo/Mech Mage/Face Hunter and it's not even close. Yes I have played all those decks. Just because Handlock is popular doesn't mean you should be putting it in the same category as those decks. Handlock is expensive to create, harder to play and takes much longer to rank up with.

Also I thought we all agreed that Fel Reaver is fucking shit.

Cat Party

I don't understand people who play Felreaver when their opponent has a sizeable hand. I made him go from ~20 cards to fatigue in two turns >_>
Even better, I played one against a Paladin, who immediately played humility. So now I have a useless 1/8 minion that is burning my deck up and I had no way to kill it. I did not win.

Dahbomb

Even better, I played one against a Paladin, who immediately played humility. So now I have a useless 1/8 minion that is burning my deck up and I had no way to kill it. I did not win.
LMAO!

I always enjoy playing against Fel Reaver in aggressive decks because it means my BGH will actually hit something.

I'll add to the "thoughtsteal bullcrap stories." Priest thoughstole a Highmane/Houndmaster combo. Turn 10 was rough for me...

I once had a Priest copy two secrets and two Flares from my deck. I only had one Flare in the whole deck and he copied it twice, and burned by secrets twice. Of course, I never actually drew it myself.

Tacitus_

I dunno, I had some success with it in arena (where this game was). You just can't play it on curve and expect to get away with it.

The problem with fel reaver is that gvg also introduced spare parts. Freeze the reaver and it's really bad for them.

Yeah, I managed to have it sit down for two turns by first playing a Mogushan Warden to annoy him with and on the next turn I drew a Frostbolt to freeze it. Bye bye deck.

Haunted

I used to shit on Malorne but then he saved my ass in a game that went to fatigue by preventing fatigue damage over two turns. Clutch, Malorne, clutch.

Haunted

Also I thought we all agreed that Fel Reaver is fucking shit.
I'm absolutely convinced it is.

Good players keep insisting it's not, or rather, that the drawback with the discards isn't a factor. The argument usually goes something like "The drawback is only a drawback if the game goes to fatigue. Before that, it's irrelevant. How many games really go to fatigue if you're playing an aggressive deck?"

And well, my answer to that is truthfully... usually none - UNTIL YOU PLAY A FUCKING FEL REAVER THAT BURNS YOUR WHOLE DECK

edit: Trump and Kibler were the good players I was referring to, didn't see that the relevant links were already posted. :D

Dahbomb

People don't realize that most GOOD decks are good at stalling out Aggro decks otherwise they wouldn't be viable in the meta. And pretty much every good deck runs BGH meaning one of their cards will get insane value against Fel Reaver.

Even most Aggro decks have synergies and important card that they want to use. If you burn a Fireball or a Frostbolt while playing Fel Reaver, that limits your reach and denies you the lethal that could win you the match. If the Fel Reaver burns an Antonidas then there goes your late game. Milling your deck destroys synergies.

And people have already mentioned that Spare parts ruin Fel Reaver particularly the Freeze minion one. Many classes have various stall mechanics or disables that can keep Fel Reaver in play without actually killing him.

On average even an average aggro deck can go through 15 of its card. With a Fel Reaver you can EASILY burn through 12 more cards meaning that even though in a normal aggro deck fatigue isn't an issue... with Fel Reaver it becomes a big issue.

The times I have seen a Fel Reaver win a match is when the person already has great board control and probably would've won anyway without the Reaver (no one ever wins a game with Fel Reaver when its the only card on the board). When the person with Fel Reaver loses they always say "well I would've lost even if this was some other card".

Trump trying to use Fel Reaver and failing.

kiryani

I'm starting to realise why so many people love Sylvanas.

Turn 7 against a priest with Auchenai Soulpriest and a 3/8 acolyte of pain on his side of the board and , Sylvanas on mine, he just goes face rather than proc Sylvanas' deathrattle.

It looks like I'm about to get beaten down until I realise I can use Fire Elementals battlecry on Sylvanas to make her 5/2 , suicide against the Soulpriest. Thus taking the Acolyte, killing his Soulpriest and having 6/5 fire elemental all in once turn.

"Your opponent left" not long after

ViviOggi

Well, is either of them still playing it? Because that Kibler article is from mid-December.

In flood decks Sea Giant is basically Fel Reaver without the drawbacks, and in others you wouldn't run either.

Dahbomb

In Arena it's definitely good/usable. You don't use that much of your deck and your opponent rarely has answers. You also don't rely on synergies in your deck to win when it comes to Arena. Also far, far less BGH.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Fel reaver is an arena card. It's won games about 75% of the times I've seen it played.

Yeah its good in Arena. If your opponent let's it stay alive for any number of turns it just does too much face damage. It's like a more extreme version of Venture Co Merc.

Tacitus_

Yeah its good in Arena. If your opponent let's it stay alive for any number of turns it just does too much face damage. It's like a more extreme version of Venture Co Merc.

It's reasonable in arena, but you gotta know when to play it. The shaman I played against didn't know, so I burned his whole deck - and he had nice cards there too, doomhammer, fire elly, force tank.. I think he got two draws after he put the thing down and then he was out to fatigue.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
fel reaver would be an insane zoo/hunter card if not for big game hunter. It's the fact that it gives decks that ortherwise don't have BGH targets one that makes it not good enough I feel.

The card burning aspect simply doesn't matter 95% of the time.

I've played 1 reaver in Zoo quite a bit and the number of games that it has won grossly outnumbers the number of games it caused me to hit fatigue. But the number of games it lost me because of BGH where a doomguard/loatheb would have won is just too high.

edit: fel reaver's other hidden drawback is cards like annoyotron. Not because it stalls and causes you to burn cards but because you spent 5 mana on a creature not doing much as opposed to the 2 + 3 drop you could have played to kill tiny taunts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom