• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT2| Created by Unstable Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magnus

Hey guys! Coming back to Hearthstone after a 4 month break. I have Naxx, and a good amount of standard and legendaries, although I'm still missing some essentials (Ragnarok, etc). Should I focus on Goblins Vs Gnomes, or stick to trying to complete my normal deck first?

Arena will now only reward you with GvG packs. Most great decks these days have a mix of cards from both sets. Just FYI as you consider what to get!

Hey guys! Coming back to Hearthstone after a 4 month break. I have Naxx, and a good amount of standard and legendaries, although I'm still missing some essentials (Ragnarok, etc). Should I focus on Goblins Vs Gnomes, or stick to trying to complete my normal deck first?

Do you have most/all of the commons and rares in the normal set? If so, focus on GvG since you'll get more new cards per pack that way. You can always save up dust for the legendaries if you need a specific one. No point wasting your dust on GvG commons/rares by comparison.

rag isn't all that essential anymore. boom has, at least temporarily, replaced him as the must include in every deck legendary.

what you crack open really depends on what kind of decks you want to play. mech mage would obviously require a lot of gvg cards. but most druid and rogue decks don't run many new cards.

Magnus

How critical is Twisting Nether these days? I don't see it on a bunch of Season 11 warlock decks that did well, but I remember hearing once that it's an excellent drop pre-Jaraxxus.

I ask because I got a golden one, and it's my only one. I think I'd really like to DE it for another desirable epic...

About fel reaver, I wonder if he'd be any good in a gimmicky priest or warlock silence deck. Get high-value-but-drawback minions like fel reaver, ancient watcher, venture co. merc, dancing swords, zombie chow, lightspawn, anime golem, the motherfucking beast, and then add wailing soul, ironbeak owl, silence, spell breaker to cancel their effects.

FeD.nL

Gotta love unstable portal, such balance.

rA9G1sY.jpg

It varies from card to card. Deathlord pulls the card out, Mindgames copies the card.

Deathlord would be an unbelievably shitty card if it played a copy. Not even that god awful Fatigue Mage deck would run it.

How critical is Twisting Nether these days? I don't see it on a bunch of Season 11 warlock decks that did well, but I remember hearing once that it's an excellent drop pre-Jaraxxus.

I ask because I got a golden one, and it's my only one. I think I'd really like to DE it for another desirable epic...

Twisting Nether kind of sucks. You might want to hang on to one of them just in case someone finds a use for it, but that's not likely to happen. The card's been around a while and doesn't see much use.

ViviOggi

Thanks!

edit- Fuck. As it turns out, Bolvar (who cares), Lay on Hands, and Quartermaster are precisely the cards from the Paladin set that I don't have. I have two Musters and Equalities, but only 1 Aldor Peackeeper. I have a Coghammer and Shielded Minibot though, and two Swords of Justice. I don't know if I want to sink 800 dust into crafting Quarter/Lay…I do have 3260 right now. Was tempted to get two legendaries…

I have 2 Avenging Wraths as well. I'm going to look into decks and make something happen. Tirion feels like a real gift that I should capitalize on.

Cool. Thanks!
If you just want to give Tirion a spin asap you could try Hobogoblin Shockadin but it has never been a competitive archetype. Epics are annoying when you're somewhat short on dust, it can take ages until you unpack the ones you want but the chance to pull dupes after crafting one is still high compared to legendaries.

Magnus

If you just want to give Tirion a spin asap you could try Hobogoblin Shockadin but it has never been a competitive archetype. Epics are annoying when you're somewhat short on dust, it can take ages until you unpack the ones you want but the chance to pull dupes after crafting one is still high compared to legendaries.

Word. They're almost as hard a decision to craft as Legendaries.

I've always wanted Antonidas, and it's what's missing to make my Mech Mage work. I crafted him. Let's see if the FOTM lives up to the hype!

Dr boom is finally in the house. Running a card advantage Mage deck and replaced blingtron. Let's see how he does.

Blingtron was mainly in there for Harrison value in non weapon matchups. Was also working quite well with water elementals.

deck list:

uig6LYh.png

With the amount of deathrattle summon minions in the game, I doubt twisting nether will ever be ran.

On a slightly different topic, it seems like they ran out of unique deathrattle ideas though. Either random damage, random minion, set minion, set damage... seem to be almost all they've come up with. I guess getting a spare part is different. Maybe they should have more cards like clockwork gnome, but class based and giving unique class cards.

There are a few unique ones though, like dark cultist and tirion. Need more like these as well. My main point, however, is that the main deathrattle minion type summons another minion into play.

Special C

Epics are very hard for me to pull the trigger on spending the dust crafting them. Thats why my rogue decks will never be good because I can't make myself craft preps. It's also the reason I'll never play handlock. Luckily I pulled the ones I needed for Control Warrior from packs.

Rogue Card Deathrattle: Counts as a combo.

Shaman Card Deathrattle: Clears (some) Overload.

Warrior Card Deathrattle: Damage all friendly minions.

Druid Card Deathrattle: Gain a mana crystal(Make it a 0/1)

Mage Card Deathrattle: Generate Random Spell.

New mechanics would be cool.
I can't really think of any like Battlecry/Windfury/Taunt or anything like that.
I think they added only Mega Windfury in GvG and that's on one minion that I'll probably never see outside of a gimmick deck or one guy getting lucky, and I don't really want to see Mega Windfury become a thing on other minions

Edit: Completely forgot about Flame Leviathan. Iron Juggernaut as well. Although all of these are legendary.

Epics are very hard for me to pull the trigger on spending the dust crafting them. Thats why my rogue decks will never be good because I can't make myself craft preps. It's also the reason I'll never play handlock. Luckily I pulled the ones I needed for Control Warrior from packs.

Almost every rogue deck runs preps. Miracle, control, oil, weapon... only aggro and some tempo decks don't run prep.

Celegus

Almost every rogue deck runs preps. Miracle, control, oil, weapon... only aggro and some tempo decks don't run prep.

I don't have prep either which kind of sucks since I like Rogue so much. I've somehow managed not to get any tinker sharpsword oil yet too. I'd much rather save my dust for another legendary though.

New mechanics would be cool.
I can't really think of any like Battlecry/Windfury/Taunt or anything like that.
I think they added only Mega Windfury in GvG and that's on one minion that I'll probably never see outside of a gimmick deck or one guy getting lucky, and I don't really want to see Mega Windfury become a thing on other minions

They added the on card draw effect like on Flame Leviathan. Granted, that particular effect sucks, but they could add other cards that do other things when drawn. They also created Bolvar, a card that is affected by what happens on the board while it's in hand. He turned out to not be a terrible card. They also added Malorne who shuffles himself back into the deck and Iron Giant that shuffles a different card into the other player's deck. These are all new game mechanics, they're just under used so far. Hopefully there are more cards that take advantage of this in future sets.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
Hopefully by the time of the next big expansion, blizzard is ready to add activated creature abilities.

Example: 1 mana 1/1, and the creature has a button below it that 1/turn let's it deal 1 damage to a character. You just click and drag from the button instead of the creature to use the ability instead of attacking. Or tap the button if it isn't a targeted thing.

It might cost mana or it might not. Using an activated ability might 'use up' the creature's attack or not. And it might be usable on the turn played or not. I don't particularly care about the details.

But once you add that foundation of an idea, things can get crazy awesome.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
He's actually really good. There are much bigger priorities when starting out but he has won me a lot of games.

I think Bolvar is a very underrated card. It is exceptionally easy to get him above the 4/7 mark. Everybody thought otherwise when the card was first revealed but if anything he grows too quickly. He's very BGH-able. If you run multiple BGH-able and silenceable targets he's worth including for sure.

They added the on card draw effect like on Flame Leviathan. Granted, that particular effect sucks, but they could add other cards that do other things when drawn. They also created Bolvar, a card that is affected by what happens on the board while it's in hand. He turned out to not be a terrible card. They also added Malorne who shuffles himself back into the deck and Iron Giant that shuffles a different card into the other player's deck. These are all new game mechanics, they're just under used so far. Hopefully there are more cards that take advantage of this in future sets.

You're right, they added more oddball cards then I thought of. Granted most are legendary which usually have cool or unique features anyway or are gimmicky/terrible or both

I want to craft Alexstrasza, but don't want to be disappointed later down the line. =/

Only for the testing of a priest deck and the off-chance that I play warrior.

I think battlecries and deathrattles give them a lot of space to be creative with new cards without adding new mechanics.

a new class of spare parts would be cool, too.

I honestly don't know what they can and will do to expand the game in terms of new mechanics.

One glaring difference to me is that they don't have a graveyard in this game like magic does.
Graveyard manipulation mechanics/ abilities add a lot of diversity to magic, but hearthstone doesn't have the ability to expand into mechanics like that. (yet)

Hell, even back in the day wizards added the ability to use your sideboard during the first game of a match.

RPGCrazied

Yes, I'm slow. Any tips on patchwerk? Can't seem to get cards out when he can just destroy them, not to mention the 5 damage every turn.

Special C

Yea I know. I'm always running micky mouse gimmick decks. I need to craft them though. Rogue is my only class with a <50% win rate overall. The fact that they are class cards makes it even harder to make the dust commitment. So much easier to spend dust on neutral cards that could fit in multiple decks.

Yes, I'm slow. Any tips on patchwerk? Can't seem to get cards out when he can just destroy them, not to mention the 5 damage every turn.

Just build a deck around Swamp Oozes and freeze spells. Use Duplicate to make more Swamp Oozes and Pandas to put them back in your hand to break his weapon again. Charge minions are pretty useful since they'll actually be able to hit him. You'll also need a lot of healing, so Earthen Ring Farseer and Voodoo Witch Doctor will help. Ice Barrier helps extend your life as well. Since you should have 4 secrets in the deck (2X Duplicate and 2X Ice Barrier), you may as well throw in Mad Scientist. Now that I'm thinking about it, I wonder what would happen if you played a Blingtron. Would he just overwrite the weapon you give him with his old weapon, or would he stick with the new, probably worse weapon that Blingtron gives him?

ZealousD

He's bad at it, too. Goddamn Tay Zonday.

Yeah I watched a bit of his stream last night and couldn't stand it. His voice can be awesome but when he's stuttering or unsure it actually becomes kind of annoying.

Rapstah

Just build a deck around Swamp Oozes and freeze spells. Use Duplicate to make more Swamp Oozes and Pandas to put them back in your hand to break his weapon again. Charge minions are pretty useful since they'll actually be able to hit him. You'll also need a lot of healing, so Earthen Ring Farseer and Voodoo Witch Doctor will help. Ice Barrier helps extend your life as well. Since you should have 4 secrets in the deck (2X Duplicate and 2X Ice Barrier), you may as well throw in Mad Scientist. Now that I'm thinking about it, I wonder what would happen if you played a Blingtron. Would he just overwrite the weapon you give him with his old weapon, or would he stick with the new, probably worse weapon that Blingtron gives him?

I believe he replaces the Blingtron weapon.

Another stupid way to beat him is to use a Jeeves. He will always "draw three cards" at the end of his turn, which means he dies from fatigue a couple of turns in.

I believe he replaces the Blingtron weapon.

Another stupid way to beat him is to use a Jeeves. He will always "draw three cards" at the end of his turn, which means he dies from fatigue a couple of turns in.

That actually works? I thought he didn't draw cards. It seems like even when you force card draw, he doesn't draw them anyway. I was thinking he didn't even draw cards when you played Dancing Swords or Coldlight Oracle. Snowchugger should be really useful, though.

Edit: Yep, I just looked it up on Youtube. Jeeves does force him to draw cards.

I honestly don't know what they can and will do to expand the game in terms of new mechanics.

One glaring difference to me is that they don't have a graveyard in this game like magic does.
Graveyard manipulation mechanics/ abilities add a lot of diversity to magic, but hearthstone doesn't have the ability to expand into mechanics like that. (yet)

Hell, even back in the day wizards added the ability to use your sideboard during the first game of a match.

it kind of does. like with kelthuzad and malorne. they could totally do mprr weird things with deathrattles and battlecries.

Dreavus

Hopefully by the time of the next big expansion, blizzard is ready to add activated creature abilities.

Example: 1 mana 1/1, and the creature has a button below it that 1/turn let's it deal 1 damage to a character. You just click and drag from the button instead of the creature to use the ability instead of attacking. Or tap the button if it isn't a targeted thing.

It might cost mana or it might not. Using an activated ability might 'use up' the creature's attack or not. And it might be usable on the turn played or not. I don't particularly care about the details.

But once you add that foundation of an idea, things can get crazy awesome.

Yes, please!

Surely the poor bewildered new player can handle such things? The UI just has to be super slick.

About fel reaver, I wonder if he'd be any good in a gimmicky priest or warlock silence deck. Get high-value-but-drawback minions like fel reaver, ancient watcher, venture co. merc, dancing swords, zombie chow, lightspawn, anime golem, the motherfucking beast, and then add wailing soul, ironbeak owl, silence, spell breaker to cancel their effects.

I tried so hard to make a deck like this work after Naxx, but everything just sucked. Couldn't get the balance between available silences and these minions right. Priest was promising but I just gave up.

Thought I had the "best" decklist saved somewhere but can't find it now. Will post it later if it comes around.

Magnus

Antonidas is ridiculous.

I'm so happy with my craft.

Echo of Medivh is a supreme salt inducer as well. I made two folks ragequit today.

Haunted

Generally I want to see more stats being recorded by the game. How much I'm using which class, win streaks, lose streaks, games played, win rate today/this season/all time filtered by classes, opponents etc etc

I know there are third party programs that can do that if you set it up correctly, so I see no reason why Blizzard isn't displaying these stats (they're recording and gathering anyway) in the game as well. I did prioritise stat gathering right after new content (cards/adventures) in that recent survey.

Magnus

Help me understand something.

If Leeroy/Miracle Rogue were nerfed because Blizzard was unhappy with that much burst damage happening in one turn, why aren't other one-turn KOs being nerfed too?

I was just dealt 26 damage by one minion the turn it was dropped (it was granted Charge and other buffs on the same turn), and the Warrior had more damage ready to go in case that didn't kill me. lol

ZealousD

Help me understand something.

If Leeroy/Miracle Rogue were nerfed because Blizzard was unhappy with that much burst damage happening in one turn, why aren't other one-turn KOs being nerfed too?

I was just dealt 26 damage by one minion the turn it was dropped (it was granted Charge and other buffs on the same turn), and the Warrior had more damage ready to go in case that didn't kill me. lol

Warrior OTK requires many more cards to work. Its like 6 cards? Worgen, Charge, 2x Inner Rage, 2x Rampage. Miracle Rogue only needed 3 cards. Leeroy and 2x Shadowstep. It was much, much easier to pull off. You also can't really nerf any single card in the warrior OTK combo without making any of the cards useless. Leeroy wasn't just strong in Miracle either. He was used in all sorts of other huge finisher combos. Like Handlock and Shaman.

Emarv

Warrior OTK requires many more cards to work. Its like 6 cards? Worgen, Charge, 2x Inner Rage, 2x Rampage. Miracle Rogue only needed 3 cards. Leeroy and 2x Shadowstep. It was much, much easier to pull off. You also can't really nerf any single card in the warrior OTK combo without making any of the cards useless. Leeroy wasn't just strong in Miracle either. He was used in all sorts of other huge finisher combos. Like Handlock and Shaman.

And Hunter. Yup. Warrior OTK is a larger thing and something I'd argue isn't really a problem. The problem with Leeroy is sort of like the problem with Pagle and Dr. Boom. Blizz doesn't like it when certain cards are just "auto-include" and take over the meta, but they're fine with certain deck philosophies like OTK.

Magnus

Ah, I thought they were against the OTK philosophy altogether (in the sense of a fresh minion on the board being able to deal that much damage in one turn). And yeah, it did take plenty of cards to make it happen. I guess I'm just salty. lol

I commended the chap with a tip of my hat/right-click/well-played.

ViviOggi

Generally I want to see more stats being recorded by the game. How much I'm using which class, win streaks, lose streaks, games played, win rate today/this season/all time filtered by classes, opponents etc etc

I know there are third party programs that can do that if you set it up correctly, so I see no reason why Blizzard isn't displaying these stats (they're recording and gathering anyway) in the game as well. I did prioritise stat gathering right after new content (cards/adventures) in that recent survey.
Stats are toxic and kill baby players

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom