• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT2| Created by Unstable Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Szadek

I just had a really annoying mech mage match up. He managed to hit 5 minions with enhanceomatic and his loatheb got windfury.

But then I stole it with mind control tech.

Later he got antonidas and stealth spare part. But I managed to take him down to lethal the next turn and heal myself beyond double fireball + antonidas face hit, in no small part due to loatheb having windfury.

Stealth spare part can be annoying as hell, but when used with antonidas that is kinda broken.
Spare parts make him playable,otherwise he is way too slow and you have to run terrible spells.

First actual good run while using the heartharena tool (11-3). Definitely can't rely solely on the machine to make the choices, since it chooses really bizarre cards sometimes, especially towards the beginning of the draft, but it does make good choices most of the time.

4dsta8S.png

Didn't expect the deck to actually do work, since it seemed way worse than the shaman deck I drafted yesterday but only got 6 wins with. I did get extremely lucky by not running into anyone with AOE until the final stretch, and if I didn't misplay the final game really terribly I would've gone 12-2.

Yay its Boulderfirst Ogre's stupid brother.

I really see no use for this card. What it should have been was only the opponents minions have a 50% chance to hit the wrong target, that would have made it more interesting and worthy of being a legendary.

Szadek

I really see no use for this card. What it should have been was only the opponents minions have a 50% chance to hit the wrong target, that would have made it more interesting and worthy of being a legendary.
It's still pretty good counter against aggressive decks and plays.

Tacitus_

EU people bringing constructed decks to arena, fml

Got ran out of arena at 5 wins due to a mage that had an opener full of mechs, 2 fireballs and a pyro :d

Stoze

I used the Heartharena tool a couple times, it's certainly helpful when you first go into arena don't know anything, and I like that it keeps track of synergies (somewhat). After you've got your hand in a few arenas though, it's not worth the time to enter in the cards. It also values card rankings over the curve immensely despite saying it dosen't. We don't want too many 5 cost cards...but keep pick the 1-point higher ranked 5 drop!

As I'm still newbish at arena, I just ctrl+f on their tier list when I come to a decision where I have no clue what to value the cards at. Much faster to use, and lets me put my own thought into drafting.

TheChaos0

He works OK in control, turning him into - 50% I am a taunt. Which isn't too bad against aggressive decks.

OK, EU arena is in its "lol fuck you mode". Time to quit for today after I flush out.

EU arena has not been treating me well lately. At all... ;P

Tacitus_

EU arena has not been treating me well lately. At all... ;P

I had a nice afternoon of games, going ~5 wins on each. Then I went 3-3 and 2-3, this run I lost to a ridiculous lightspawn -> divine spirit + velens chosen combo, then to a shaman that crept in a BL constructed deck and now to a priest with some godly draws that kept his velens chosen'd minion alive for 10 turns.

gutshot

I used the Heartharena tool a couple times, it's certainly helpful when you first go into arena don't know anything, and I like that it keeps track of synergies (somewhat). After you've got your hand in a few arenas though, it's not worth the time to enter in the cards. It also values card rankings over the curve immensely despite saying it dosen't. We don't want too many 5 cost cards...but keep pick the 1-point higher ranked 5 drop!

As I'm still newbish at arena, I just ctrl+f on their tier list when I come to a decision where I have no clue what to value the cards at. Much faster to use, and lets me put my own thought into drafting.

The creator of the site has said that cards that are within 5-7 points of each other are basically even and you can't go wrong picking either of them. Obviously, the system is always going to tell you to pick the one that has more points, even if it is 0.01 than another card and even if that card is being devalued due to curve or lack of synergy or whatever.

And it definitely puts a heavy emphasis on curve. In my most recent Hunter draft I had an Arcane Nullifier ranked even with an Eaglehorn Bow, despite them being two tiers apart in the tier list, because it was pick 28 and I had literally no 4-drops.

Celegus

I had a nice afternoon of games, going ~5 wins on each. Then I went 3-3 and 2-3, this run I lost to a ridiculous lightspawn -> divine spirit + velens chosen combo, then to a shaman that crept in a BL constructed deck and now to a priest with some godly draws that kept his velens chosen'd minion alive for 10 turns.

Without a lot of hard removal in arena, priests with several velen's chosen have been wrecking me lately.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Priests in general to me seem overly strong. In fact they are the one class I dread playing against the most in constructed. It seems like almost all of them manage to get out two Northshire Clerics by turn three. I don't know how they do it, but over 50% of the time I see it. And they seem to have ridiculous synergy with their class spells and minions.

I should start playing priest more often, LOL.

egruntz

shelaughz
Priests in general to me seem overly strong. In fact they are the one class I dread playing against the most in constructed. It seems like almost all of them manage to get out two Northshire Clerics by turn three. I don't know how they do it, but over 50% of the time I see it. And they seem to have ridiculous synergy with their class spells and minions.

Clerics are ridiculously easy to kill off.
Priest is widely considered one of the weaker classes, even by players who main it like Amaz.

IMO Paladin is worse though. Although I haven't seen much of his potential post GvG.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Clerics are ridiculously easy to kill off.
Priest is widely considered one of the weaker classes, even by players who main it like Amaz.

IMO Paladin is worse though. Although I haven't seen much of his potential post GvG.

Man, really? They consistently give more problems than any other class, even mages. Maybe it's just a 20-16 rank constructed thing? Maybe up in that range where there aren't a lot of legendaries or epics the priests just shine?

Maybe I'm just terribad? LOL

Celegus

I don't typically have much of a problem with priest unless they luck out with thoughtsteal type card RNG. It's still not a favorite match up because the matches tend to last for so long, and also the reason I have little interest in playing as a priest.

Pooya

priests can be annoying with their spells, specially if you have bad draw and they copy all the good stuff, see get lucky. It relies too much on luck, otherwise they're so predictable to me....when they're not lucky. Paladin though, fffff.

I fought like 4 priests yesterday, the game dragged on forever until fatigue and they all had pretty much same decks, thought steal, mind control etc. It was easy to counter them with some secrets but boy did it drag, I will probably just concede today if I see a priest. they can have it.

Fixed1979

If anyone is interested, Amazon have their coin deal back on.

Amazon said:
We thought you might like to know about a special Amazon Coins offer that we are running for Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft. For a limited time, you can receive 30% back in Amazon Coins on any Card Pack purchase of $20 or higher. You can use the Amazon Coins that you earn from this offer to buy more Card Packs and build up your card collection. Learn more.

Tacitus_

Man, really? They consistently give more problems than any other class, even mages. Maybe it's just a 20-16 rank constructed thing? Maybe up in that range where there aren't a lot of legendaries or epics the priests just shine?

Maybe I'm just terribad? LOL

Yeah, at that rank they're usually running some terribad combo deck that can be countered with a single silence card.

Magnus

I'm 2-2 with a Mage arena deck with 4xFireball, 2xFrostbolt, 2xPolymorph, 1xBlizzard, 1xFlamecannon, 1xUnstable Portal, and a bunch of great minions with a great curve. I even have a Mech Warper and 4 mechs or so... lol

I lost to two mages who had the same or better by the look of it. Top-decking perfect answers to everything I fielded. lol

Unbelievable.

Umm, is this real life?

That's... not cool. I'll certainly never use it, but anything that increases my chances of getting crushed in arena is bad in my book.

Edit: Derpa derp, that was a joke huh?

haha yeah sorry was just a joke

Just imagine the amount of trolling. You basically guarantee to lose gold even if you get 12 wins but you can stop everyone else from getting 12 wins lol

I'm 2-2 with a Mage arena deck with 4xFireball, 2xFrostbolt, 2xPolymorph, 1xBlizzard, 1xFlamecannon, 1xUnstable Portal, and a bunch of great minions with a great curve. I even have a Mech Warper and 4 mechs or so... lol

I lost to two mages who had the same or better by the look of it. Top-decking perfect answers to everything I fielded. lol

Unbelievable.

I always find it odd when people are surprised that they do poorly in arena even though they drafted some nice cards. I mean, yeah, some cards shine in arena and can certainly help eek out more wins. But there's more to arena than getting certain cards. Your curve, spell:minion ratio, synergies, mulligans and overall play/strategy make sure that just drafting some Fireballs doesn't ensure 12 wins.

Minsc

Gold Member
Inb4 dagger,deadly posion,oil ,preperation,blade fury.

Thalnos, Fan of Knives, Prep, Sabotage. Got to save the oils for when they have a minion that can attack and they can hit face with the dagger to get like a total of 20 damage out of the oil + blade fury combo.

Stoze

The creator of the site has said that cards that are within 5-7 points of each other are basically even and you can't go wrong picking either of them. Obviously, the system is always going to tell you to pick the one that has more points, even if it is 0.01 than another card and even if that card is being devalued due to curve or lack of synergy or whatever.

And it definitely puts a heavy emphasis on curve. In my most recent Hunter draft I had an Arcane Nullifier ranked even with an Eaglehorn Bow, despite them being two tiers apart in the tier list, because it was pick 28 and I had literally no 4-drops.

Your first paragraph is why I suggest just using ctrl+f on the tier list instead of manually going in and entering each card choice. Yeah you don't get the added value from analysis, but it's not a big deal especially if you have a few arenas under your belt. For the second paragraph...I wouldn't call that a heavy emphasis, two tiers apart isn't that much, and you were on your last few picks. I played one where it gave me like ten 5-drops, granted all of which were pretty good, put pretty much ruined the deck. To each his own though.

Overall I think it's a really cool tool, great for just starting out or people who want statistic tracking, but otherwise it's just too slow and not analytic enough for me. That's understandable considering the thought process that goes into drafting.

Tacitus_

Oooh I'm such a moron sometimes.

"Ok, trade the 8/8 to the SW champion and the yeti to the 2/3..."
*does the opposite, opponent has lethal*

headdesk, concede

Magnus

I always find it odd when people are surprised that they do poorly in arena even though they drafted some nice cards. I mean, yeah, some cards shine in arena and can certainly help eek out more wins. But there's more to arena than getting certain cards. Your curve, spell:minion ratio, synergies, mulligans and overall play/strategy make sure that just drafting some Fireballs doesn't ensure 12 wins.

I hear you, but re-read my post - I had a great curve and awesome synergy with mechs and removals. It looked and played a lot like a standard Mech Mage actually!

I had some crazy good luck with mulligans too.

I was just outdone a couple times. Haha.

Tacitus_

I hear you, but re-read my post - I had a great curve and awesome synergy with mechs and removals. It looked and played a lot like a standard Mech Mage actually!

I had some crazy good luck with mulligans too.

I was just outdone a couple times. Haha.

☑ “This guy's deck is CRAZY!”
☑ “My deck can't win against a deck like that”
☑ "He NEEDED precisely those two cards to win"
☑ “He topdecked the only card that could beat me”
☑ "He had the perfect cards"
☑ “There was nothing I could do”
☑ “I played that perfectly"

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Mage at 3 health.

Ice Block on the field.

I have Fiery War Axe.

She plays Unstable Portal.

Priestess of Elune - Created by Unstable Portal.

THANKS BEN BRODE, GREAT GAME 10/10.

Szadek

Mage at 3 health.

Ice Block on the field.

I have Fiery War Axe.

She plays Unstable Portal.

Priestess of Elune - Created by Unstable Portal.

THANKS BEN BRODE, GREAT GAME 10/10.
Could have been much worse.There are tons of taunts in the game and as well as some cards that restore health.
Also,malganis.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I had Shield Slam/Execute in my hand, as well as a Brawl + Acolyte.

Life gain was literally one of the few things that could've stopped me from winning. Frost Elemental would be another one.

Magnus

These are basically the seven steps to accepting a Hearthstone loss, eh? Haha.

Magnus

I've been in love with Blizzard's voice work since time began. The sound bites in Hearthstone are their latest marvel.

It'd be such a dream come true to land VO work in a Blizzard game.

Current fave, Iron Sensei. "Come close, and listen."

Ashodin

OH BABY A TRIPLE

Rosenskjold

I don't think I'll ever get to a point where I don't feel like priests winning because of 'mindvision' and 'thoughtsteal' isn't just straight up lame wins enabled by stupid cards. It's not that they cards are imbalanced per se, they're just lame I think. Much salt, people probably feel the same losing to legendary draws from 'unstable portal'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom