• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT2| Created by Unstable Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was doing arena earlier with a bad hand getting my butt kicked, was already at 2-2 when I noticed it was Kripp and checked his stream to see if it was him. Sure enough I was on his stream. The game was already lost for me so I wasn't sniping but what pisses me off is he was like 7-1 and I was 2-2, I thought this was supposed to be evenly matched better.

Cabal'd the Acolyte. Recombobulated the Cabal into Mogor. Faceless'd the Mogor. Played my own Mogor.

Good luck lol.

P1OobGO.jpg

Cipherr

Was doing arena earlier with a bad hand getting my butt kicked, was already at 2-2 when I noticed it was Kripp and checked his stream to see if it was him. Sure enough I was on his stream. The game was already lost for me so I wasn't sniping but what pisses me off is he was like 7-1 and I was 2-2, I thought this was supposed to be evenly matched better.

Yep I think it just says "fuck it" when theres noone with your same record in the arena queue. I think it just matches you against a random person thats available if it has to.

Tacitus_

Woke up, dusted Gallywix and crafted JARAXXUS, EREDAR LORD OF THE BURNING LEGION.

And apparently I had picked up Neptulon sometime earlier so Gallywix wasn't my first legendary afterall. Not dusting that tho.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
That no on plays Arcane Missiles, so they might as well give another card Arcane Missiles as its battle Cry. The real issue is likely that its stats are likely too high. Maybe up it to 5 mana.

I don't think it would get played at 5 mana. If you don't meet the condition it would be like playing Harrison naked, which is pretty bad. I think the worst you could do to it and make it still playable is make it a 4/4. It's definitely one of the strongest cards in GvG but I'm not convinced it's that broken.

Pooya

pulled Gahz'rilla out of unstable portal

1423314302-hearthstone.jpg

Probably wanted to fireball his/her own Sylvanas :( I was truly sorry.
In my defense he/she also pulled a legendary out of portal earlier, I morphed it fast...

Gahz'rilla is fun.

ZealousD

Best card to pull out of Unstable Portal is Jaraxxsus. You can actually summon an infernal the moment you play him. :eek:

IceMarker

I had some unreal games on stream tonight, even got into a winning streak on Ranked with a Paladin deck I was just experimenting with.

MW89dBi.png

Always love it when i run into arena opponents who have a 12 win quality deck and i cant draw what i need to counter. Just up against a druid with 3 swipes 2 fon and Toshly.

Still managed 5 wins but god 2 decks were just 12 wins worthy 1 had thermaplug damn that card is ridiculous in arena.

Hupsel

I started playing some days ago, having fun with a rogue since its my WoW class... but what's up with everyone playing Mage or Priest?

I'd say Mechwarper is equally broken
I like what Haunted said about Mechwarper, it promotes over extending your board which could just end up getting cleared and leave you with nothing to play.

I love Mechwarper mainly because it allows me to get a 5/5 out on turn four, which is great since it'll easily deal with most if not all the other popular 5/5s.

Biochet

Guys. It's time for another legendary weekend, I think. (I'm aware of my insane luck at pulling good legendaries out of packs, lol)

I have 2400 dust now...I feel like I should craft core epics for some decks instead of another legendary. But Sneed's RNG fun is calling to me...

xFhu0eE.jpg

i really want trogg to be good, but he hasn't been pulling his weight in any deck so far

Dragner

Im rocking lately the Trump anti agro priest, and the deck is AMAZING.

Crushing the mirror because my lower curve allowd me to be more agro while having a lot of answers.

Agro?, a bye, no chance of winning, face hunters mech mages, zoo...al byes.

I beated my last 3 warriors, just to many answers while having to assemple a good offence hard to deal with his removal.

Wins against handlock, etc...

My 2 only loses came against shaman (I was comboed out because doomhammer into double rockbite weapon + tomem up lightning bolts to the face) and a close one to rogue when he also comboed my out for 33 damage.

The deck seems amazing, even if its my first time playing priest(and probably missplaying a lot), just cant stop winning. Deck is that good.

Magnus

There should be an 10/10 legendary mech that can't attack or be targeted by spells called Salt Shaker.

i really want trogg to be good, but he hasn't been pulling his weight in any deck so far

He's BGH safe I guess. And fun when people foolishly set him off. If there are no enemy minions on the board, he's golden. But yeah, I don't know about deck staple.

Magnus

Im rocking lately the Trump anti agro priest, and the deck is AMAZING.

Crushing the mirror because my lower curve allowd me to be more agro while having a lot of answers.

Agro?, a bye, no chance of winning, face hunters mech mages, zoo...al byes.

I beated my last 3 warriors, just to many answers while having to assemple a good offence hard to deal with his removal.

Wins against handlock, etc...

My 2 only loses came against shaman (I was comboed out because doomhammer into double rockbite weapon + tomem up lightning bolts to the face) and a close one to rogue when he also comboed my out for 33 damage.

The deck seems amazing, even if its my first time playing priest(and probably missplaying a lot), just cant stop winning. Deck is that good.

Kripp's greed priest is making me very happy, but this sounds great too. Link?

egruntz

shelaughz
I cannot believe how fucking overpowered Goblin Blastmage is.

4 mana. For a 5/4 creature. That's good enough.
But nope. 4 damage to random ENEMIES. Not even the RNG chance to hurt yourself.
What in the actual FUCK blizzard.

Tacitus_

"OK, this play will get massive value as long as he doesn't have blizzard.. or arcane explosion."
*Blizzard*

Oh goddammit

E: and then fireball frostbolt face for lethal two turns after it. Goddammit. Still, 7-3 with a deck I thought would struggle to get 5 so not bad.

Gazlowe Druid is a pretty interesting deck.

Just wish I wasn't missing stuff like Ancient of Lore and Toshley. Still, I think there's a lot of potential there.

ZealousD

If a 4 mana creature for 5/4 was good enough, non-mages would run Lost Tallstrider. I really don't think Goblin Blastmage is that much stronger than cards like Piloted Shredder or Tinkertown Technician.

Honestly I think some people just hate aggressive decks. Mech Mage is one of the most manageable aggro decks to ever hit the meta, don't know why people keep complaining about it.

Dahbomb

Yeah the card is bull shit. Even if in the worst case scenario it hits all face... that's still really good for the Mage because they are going for face anyway. It killing some minions on the way is just a huge bonus and tempo swing.

Dragner

The problem with agro is that it abuses one of the failured of hearthstone balance.

As a magic the gathering competitive player I have seen that the ratio cost/body/habilities that blizzard took on design is simmilar to magic. So there are 2/1 for 1 or 2/3 for 2 with a minor hability its classical magic design.

The problem is that there is a TON of great agressive creatures, way too many for the small card pool of hearthstone. Add that the removal in hearthstone is terrible. Most of the time you are expending 2/3 mana to deal with a 1 mana creature, a huge tempo lose,and because of coin sometimes you are being overruned by 3 creatures on turn 2 with your hand full of clunky removal.

Watching that the only true board wipe cost 8 mana and is an epic makes it clear. Blizzard needa to balance the game a bit more. Agro is opressively efficient and doesnt want to interact at all. Just go face before you can deploy your bad removal and try to stabilize.

Dahbomb

Honestly I think some people just hate aggressive decks. Mech Mage is one of the most manageable aggro decks to ever hit the meta, don't know why people keep complaining about it.
Maybe more manageable than Huntard Undertaker decks but Blastmage is merely one of the problems of Mech Mage.

Mech Warper is ridiculous and all those spare parts that the Mages generate just feed Archmage Antonidas. One Stealth spare part with Antonidas is pretty much GG in 90% of matches. It's also very common to see Dr Boom in Mech Mage, followed by Archmage + Stealth spell.

There is a ridiculous amount of synergy in this deck with multiple win conditions.

*Flood the board with minions and just beat them by out tempoing them with Mech Warper summons (double Mech Warper into 4 cards dropped a single turn)

*Go YOLO face damage with your minion and put them in range where your Fireballs/Frostbolts can finish them off. Boom Bots hitting face also help with this.

*Stealth + Antonidas

Some Mech Mages run Summong Portal too and they usually get something bull shit out of that which can almost single handedly win them the game. A lot of the aggro decks you used to face were beatable once you survived the initial onslaught and stabilized. Against Mech Mage, the threat of a Stealthed Antonidas can win almost single-handedly which is a very convenient late game win condition for them despite being an Aggro deck.

Like it's no surprise that this deck is all over the Ladder currently. It was very common even in the Undertaker era and now it's easily the most deck you encounter online. It's obviously very fucking good or else people wouldn't bother with it.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
You're going to continually see the best aggro/mid-range decks flood ranked because they're the only things that are affordable.

If everyone could actually make Control Warrior we'd probably see 80,000 of those as well, but it's super expensive.

iirate

If aggro was overpowered or dominant, tournament play would reflect that. Instead, many players bring a full set of midrange or control decks. When someone does have an aggro deck, they usually have just one(out of three or four).

Aggro decks are a bit of a minority outside of ladder, where the number of games played becomes more important relative to the quality of each game.

You're going to continually see the best aggro/mid-range decks flood ranked because they're the only things that are affordable.

If everyone could actually make Control Warrior we'd probably see 80,000 of those as well, but it's super expensive.

This is another good point. I really liked seeing Shieldmaiden printed, because I felt like it was a step towards more affordable control decks. There's no reason that there shouldn't be budget options for any style of play.

ZealousD

I'm not saying mech mage isn't very good, but I don't think it's horrendously overpowered either. It's not like hunter where you could be dead by Turn 4. It's not like old Zoo which was "draw AoE or lose". There are so many 3-4 mana cost cards in the deck that mid-range and control decks can still find ways to deal with many of the threats through minion trading.

iirate

I'm not saying mech mage isn't very good, but I don't think it's horrendously overpowered either. It's not like hunter where you could be dead by Turn 4. It's not like old Zoo which was "draw AoE or lose". There are so many 3-4 mana cost cards in the deck that mid-range and control decks can still find ways to deal with many of the threats through minion trading.

That's about how I feel about it. The deck seems strong, but fair. Honestly, I don't play much aggro, and a big part of that is simply not having the same success with those decks that I do with non-aggro decks. Sometimes you blow someone up or get blown up by aggro, but midrange/control does the same thing sometimes, it's just harder to realize that you've already lost vs. non-aggro lists.

Maybe make it so that mechwarper loses 1 hp every time you play a discount mech, it seems like that would fit the lore.

I wonder how much the inevitable mad scientist and dr.boom nerfs will affect mech mage

Dahbomb

Maybe make it so that mechwarper loses 1 hp every time you play a discount mech, it seems like that would fit the lore.

I wonder how much the inevitable mad scientist and dr.boom nerfs will affect mech mage
The main problem is the ability of 2 Mech Warpers to stack up and just unload your hand. One Mech Warper is fine but the two combined is just gross.

People have suggested that Mech Warper itself not be a mech (though in the art it clearly looks like a mech) or make it a 3 drop or a 2/2. In any case this card is definitely among the cards that Blizzard should be looking at and would not be surprised at all if it got the stick.

ZealousD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuO1IAUsxrc

Video about how Mech Warper is a poorly designed card (with match example).

I see several problems with Kripp's reasoning here.

1.) His biggest problem seems to be double mechwarper opening hand with a nuts turn 3 dream play. This is rare. You rarely get double mechwarper that early in the game. You don't balance cards around "the dream". You balance them against what is typical and the average case.
2.) He compares mechwarper to pint-sized summoner. Pint-sized summoner has significantly stronger text imo because it works with ALL minions. The reason pint-sized summoner is seen as bad is because it's a 2/2 and so it fails the vanilla stats test pretty hard, and the text isn't strong enough to make up for it. Same with other niche 2/2 cards like crazed alchemist. If Pint-sized summoner was a 2/3 it would seen a lot more play imo. If you turned Mechwarper into a 2/2 it would never see play because it would be very bad on curve. And with the array of decks we have in the game right now, trying to turn a mech deck into a hobgoblin-esque combo deck would be awful.
3.) He then compares it to Hobgoblin and says Mechwarper should cost 3 mana. Which is insane. The text on Hobgoblin gives you far more value than the text on Mechwarper. With just two buffs from Hobgoblin you get like 3 mana worth of value from the text, while with two plays on Mechwarper you basically only save yourself a single mana crystal. Like, really? You're gonna play Mechwarper, Chugga, Clockwork so that you only spend like 4 mana on 3 cards instead of 5? That's really not good enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom