• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT2| Created by Unstable Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kettch

I don't play mech mage, but playing against it I actually find the blastmage to be the most important part that wins or loses (if they don't have it) the game. Destroying my board and pre-countering my 5 drop sludge belcher is just insane.

Mech warpers are certainly good, but everyone at least has a card that takes it out immediately. Getting one or two 2/1s for free hasn't been too big a deal for me. The coin double mech warper and then endless mechs play is definitely OP, but that doesn't happen very often at least.

I think double mechwarper is the main problem with the card. So for 3 mana you play both and every 2 mana or less cost mech card in your hand.

It would be much more balanced if it wasn't a mech itself and I am not sure why they chose to give it mech tag. Could have been a goblin or gnome engineer or something.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I'm surprised we haven't seen a "facedown" reveal type mechanic. Something you need to attack into in order to see, similar to YGO or something. Seems like the type of asynchronous gameplay they enjoy.

Secrets are basically this.

Magnus

Mechwarper is strong but I still don't even think it's the strongest 2-drop in the game. Mad Scientist is currently the best and is absolutely better than Mechwarper. Shielded Minibot, Knife Juggler, Wild Pyro, Flametongue Totem, and Nerubian Egg are also all in the same tier as Mechwarper imo.

By "billion buffs" do you mean just power word shields? Or are you talking about cheesy inner fire decks?

What makes inner fire cheesy? I'm honestly asking.

Priest buffs are fun and awesome when they work out. Who DIDN'T try out Lightspawns with PWS/DS, or other minions like Deathlords with Inner Fire?

ZealousD

What makes inner fire cheesy? I'm honestly asking.

Priest buffs are fun and awesome when they work out. Who DIDN'T try out Lightspawns with PWS/DS, or other minions like Deathlords with Inner Fire?

Cheesy was probably the wrong word. "Gimmicky" is probably more accurate.

But yeah, I remember trying some Lightwell+Inner Fire action myself.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
The Iron Sensei Dream:
theIrondream.jpg

IronSensei.jpg

Auto Barber is total trash, and will remain so until Rouge gets some 1 Mana Weapon.

Szadek

i really want trogg to be good, but he hasn't been pulling his weight in any deck so far
He cetainly did in my shaman deck.Really helped me to get from rank 12 to 5.
It's just such an exellent cards against rogues and also pretty good in many other cases.

Mech warpers are certainly good, but everyone at least has a card that takes it out immediately. Getting one or two 2/1s for free hasn't been too big a deal for me. The coin double mech warper and then endless mechs play is definitely OP, but that doesn't happen very often at least.

That's exactly how I'm thinking. I run Mechwarper in my Pally, Rogue and Mage decks and it's not that big of a deal. Usually it get's destroyed right away if I coin it in on turn 1 or play it normally on turn 2. I don't think it has any special value after the first turns. And I got something in every deck in order to counter it on early on.

Cash shop warrior is such garbage to play against. They really need to put a cap on armor gain its ridiculous it can go beyond 10, you don't see priests healing beyond 30. Meanwhile cash shop warrior can very easily go 20 fucking armor.

The Iron Sensei Dream:

Auto Barber is total trash, and will remain so until Rouge gets some 1 Mana Weapon.

I think the iron sensei dream is 2 ironsenseis buffing eachother.

Also, autobarber is underrated imo. It is a 2 drop that is pretty good at any point in the game imo. Turn 2 it is just a solid threat that will trade decently, can easily turn your weapon into 4 damage with deadly poison; taking out 4 hp minions is very useful ie. dark cultist. And on turn 4 it is like playing an arathi weaponsmith with only a tiny -1 hp on the minion. Even late game you can get value out of the extra damage on weapon it is actually a bit surprising how much that 1 damage difference can do with blade flurry.

ViviOggi

Auto-Barber is Rogues's Shrinkmeister - great in theory but too clunky to get value out of while extremely underwhelming when played on curve naked.

Auto-Barber is Rogues's Shrinkmeister - great in theory but too clunky to get value out of while extremely underwhelming when played on curve naked.

Its a 3/2, unlike a 2/3 you don't really need to play it on curve. So just for example, a 2/3 really becomes weaker than a 3/2 over time in my experience because it can't kill a pilotted shredder's front half and most minions are gonna hit for 3 and survive from 2 attack. I think the main 2 cards in the entire game that put 3/2s to shame are si7 agent and keeper of the grove. Other than that, I'm even fine with barber eating a holy smite cause that is still 1:1 card wise.

As long as you're using your mana efficiently, like hero power turn 2, deadly poison + barber turn 3, you're probably in good shape. Rogue can be a tricky class to play though. Hero power on turn 2 is great because it sets up for a lot of things in the coming turns and you're still 100% mana efficient even if you don't swing.

Celegus

Can't believe this is the first time I've gotten hate mail after I ran face hunter so much
Frankly I probably deserve it since I hate fighting similar decks to this too

Ran into a mech mage last night, used my hero power every turn and then alt-tabbed and let the timer run out. Drew a terrible hand anyway, so figured I may as well make the most of it.

ViviOggi

Someone please tell me what makes MM worse than Zoo or Flood Hunter in their prime

At least except for Shredder they play honest boards without billions of shitty deathrattles

Someone please tell me what makes MM worse than Zoo or Flood Hunter in their prime

At least except for Shredder they play honest boards without billions of shitty deathrattles

I personally think the main thing that makes mech mage better than zoo is goblin blastmage. Think of it sorta like a doomguard that requires no card sacrifice and instead the charge damage is random and only 4 damage instead of 5. The 5/4 body leftover is as if the doomguard ran into a 3 damage minion, all for 4 mana. So the "doomguard" turn comes earlier, although requiring set up on board instead of hand to be effective.

So in short, goblin blastmage > doomguard and fireball > doomguard. I think it is even arguable that antonidas + spare parts is better than warlock's hero power.

I don't think it is as clear cut as I may make it sound. And I don't think mech mage needs nerfing either.

Coin mechwarper... mechwarper, annoyotronx2, cogmaster... mech yeti... great balanced card mechwarper is. He got like 7 extra mana out of mechwarpers... so like 3 and a half innervates that gave him 2x 2/3 bodies.

ViviOggi

I personally think the main thing that makes mech mage better than zoo is goblin blastmage. Think of it sorta like a doomguard that requires no card sacrifice and instead the charge damage is random and only 4 damage instead of 5. The 5/4 body leftover is as if the doomguard ran into a 3 damage minion, all for 4 mana. So the "doomguard" turn comes earlier, although requiring set up on board instead of hand to be effective.

So in short, goblin blastmage > doomguard and fireball > doomguard. I think it is even arguable that antonidas + spare parts is better than warlock's hero power.

I don't think it is as clear cut as I may make it sound. And I don't think mech mage needs nerfing either.
Dunno, I've found free Soulfires/Doomguard topdicks and deathrattle boards you would actually strengthen by using the AoE you've been desperate to draw all game way more frustrating than anything MM can do on a regular basis. I think it's indeed mainly people getting angry at whatever aggro deck is currently dominating. Doesn't help that you tend to remember the occasional double Mechwarper/cloaked Antonidas dreams over all the even matches and the ones you crushed.

Ugh even Arena is becoming face rush city.
It has been since GvG really

Szadek

Dunno, I've found free Soulfires/Doomguard topdicks and deathrattle boards you would actually strengthen by using the AoE you've been desperate to draw all game way more frustrating than anything MM can do on a regular basis. I think it's indeed mainly people getting angry at whatever aggro deck is currently dominating.
Honestly,aggro deck were always pretty tame in HS compare to some of the crazy shit you see in other tcg's.

The main problem is the ability of 2 Mech Warpers to stack up and just unload your hand. One Mech Warper is fine but the two combined is just gross.

People have suggested that Mech Warper itself not be a mech (though in the art it clearly looks like a mech) or make it a 3 drop or a 2/2. In any case this card is definitely among the cards that Blizzard should be looking at and would not be surprised at all if it got the stick.

Double mechwarper seems like such a rare thing that it shouldn't necessarily be part of the design consideration. I don't even know if having two mechwarpers in your hand is necessarily a good thing, I'd rather have another mech or tinkertown/blastmage instead of going all-in and planning to play everything in my hand before turn 4.

Raising the mana cost by 1 is probably the simplest way to nerf the card, just so that it becomes more of an investment and makes it more difficult to curve properly (by preventing turn 3 shredder or yeti and not allowing an efficient tinkertown followup), and makes it possible to remove on-curve with 2-mana removals like wrath/frostbolt/darkbomb or a truesilver. I think the biggest crime committed by that card is being just really boring, because it facilitates mech synergy decks in the least interesting way possible.

Dunno, I've found free Soulfires/Doomguard topdicks and deathrattle boards you would actually strengthen by using the AoE you've been desperate to draw all game way more frustrating than anything MM can do on a regular basis. I think it's indeed mainly people getting angry at whatever aggro deck is currently dominating. Doesn't help that you tend to remember the occasional double Mechwarper/cloaked Antonidas dreams over all the even matches and the ones you crushed.

Soulfire isn't really ran much anymore. I hardly ever see that ran at least and when it is ran it isn't even as close to the impact it used to have at 0 mana.

But sure, you're saying people are mad at the current strongest aggro deck and mech mage may very well be that deck. I'm not convinced it is any stronger than face hunter personally.

Additionally, the deck has a lot of RNG, especially from goblin blastmage for sure. And like I said, he is like a smaller doomguard that costs less. I don't think people's disdain for the deck is unjustified. I just had one of the strongest starts I could have against a mech mage, beaten by mechwarper into mechwarper that got him a total of 7 mana for free on the board. Even if you only consider turn 2, and not turn 3 where he played a mech yeti and spare part, the combo got him 5 mana.

I know "the dream" and all, and sure it is rare to have that godly of a hand, but there is clearly a limit even blizzard is willing to permit in terms of dream hands hence the nerfs of UTH + buzzard + auctioneer all being cards that were part of "the dream" combos of their times.

ZealousD

I know "the dream" and all, and sure it is rare to have that godly of a hand, but there is clearly a limit even blizzard is willing to permit in terms of dream hands hence the nerfs of UTH + buzzard + auctioneer all being cards that were part of "the dream" combos of their times.

Those weren't "the dream" combos of their times. They were just combos. It's like saying Muster+Quartermaster is "the dream". When the combo consistently occurs basically every game you play it ceases to be "the dream".

Those weren't "the dream" combos of their times. They were just combos. It's like saying Muster+Quartermaster is "the dream". When the combo consistently occurs basically every game you play it ceases to be "the dream".

Sure, getting auctioneer and a spell isn't the dream. I didn't mean it that way. I meant getting auctioneer, a prep or 2, sapping a strong minion, and finally conceal, those kind of combos were the dream combos. Then getting an entire turn to cycle through your entire deck and buying yourself enough time to use all the cards due to sap. That was the dream auctioneer combo. It is significantly harder to live the dream now.

Then look at UTH + Buzzard. The "dream" combo was in fact getting UTH off on at least 3 minions, drawing 3 cards, getting hunter's mark and killing everything threatening and then winning over the next two turns due to the massive amount of cards you just cycled. Maybe you drew into a second UTH that same turn.

In short, there are combos, and then there is living the dream combo.

edit:
1x mechwarper isn't living the dream. 2x mechwarpers and several 2 cost minions you play for free. If that isn't a dream combo, what is? I mean, you basically get half an innervate on playing mechwarper number 2, and 1 innervate for each 2 or greater cost mech played, half an innervate for each 1cc mech played. That is the mech mage dream combo.

Also, if you're not convinced, even blizzard referred to auctioneer combos like the one detailed as "dream" combos. They said they are okay with "living the dream". Then they subsequently nerfed several dream combos, perhaps because they realized that even the dream could be too good.

ZealousD

Sure, getting auctioneer and a spell isn't the dream. I didn't mean it that way. I meant getting auctioneer, a prep or 2, sapping a strong minion, and finally conceal, those kind of combos were the dream combos. Then getting an entire turn to cycle through your entire deck and buying yourself enough time to use all the cards due to sap. That was the dream auctioneer combo. It is significantly harder to live the dream now.

Then look at UTH + Buzzard. The "dream" combo was in fact getting UTH off on at least 3 minions, drawing 3 cards, getting hunter's mark and killing everything threatening and then winning over the next two turns due to the massive amount of cards you just cycled. Maybe you drew into a second UTH that same turn.

In short, there are combos, and then there is living the dream combo.

The point I'm making is that in these cases, these weren't "the dream" because this kind of thing happened all the time. The Buzzard + UTH + Hunter's Mark play is precisely why people played Hunter so much pre-Buzzard nerf. Miracle Rogue blew their load on Auctioneer basically every single game. These were consistent combos that these decks counted on every single game in order to win games.

edit:
1x mechwarper isn't living the dream. 2x mechwarpers and several 2 cost minions you play for free. If that isn't a dream combo, what is? I mean, you basically get half an innervate on playing mechwarper number 2, and 1 innervate for each 2 or greater cost mech played, half an innervate for each 1cc mech played. That is the mech mage dream combo.

Right, I understand that double mechwarper + several mechs is "the dream" for mech mage. What makes "the dream" .. the dream, is that you hope to get it but you can't necessarily count on it. Hunters didn't "hope" to get buzzard + unleashed, they counted on it. Miracle Rogue didn't "hope" to go hog wild with auctioneer, they counted on it.

The point I'm making is that in these cases, these weren't "the dream" because this kind of thing happened all the time. The Buzzard + UTH + Hunter's Mark play is precisely why people played Hunter so much pre-Buzzard nerf. Miracle Rogue blew their load on Auctioneer basically every single game. These were consistent combos that these decks counted on every single game in order to win games.

Right, I understand that double mechwarper + several mechs is "the dream" for mech mage. What makes "the dream" .. the dream, is that you hope to get it but you can't necessarily count on it. Hunters didn't "hope" to get buzzard + unleashed, they counted on it. Miracle Rogue didn't "hope" to go hog wild with auctioneer, they counted on it.

Like I said, simply just getting UTH + buzzard was not the dream combo. You needed specific things to happen for it to even work in your favor. A specific board state, specific draw order too. And same thing with rogue. Just getting auctioneer and some spells wasn't what I was referring to. Sure, you could build your deck to be reliant on getting these extra level combos, but the deck probably sucked. And bad players piloting miracle rogue back in the day were still bad players, too reliant on living the dream to win.

Question:
ZrBHsW1.png
VS
Fu2cy44.png

Class cards aren't made equal. Mage is meant to be the best class at direct damage spells and fireball reflects that. Mortal strike is actually quite a good card in terms of direct damage burn, especially since warriors have ways to stay afloat at 12 hp (armor doesn't count towards this total), but nonetheless the card hasn't been seen in use much outside of reynad's old old burn warrior deck (hasn't been good since he made zoo back in beta).

ZealousD

Mages have strong spells as a feature of the class. I think Fireball is intentionally overpowered.

Cat Party

There need to be (and I assume there will be) specifically anti-mech cards to combat the usefulness of mechs right now. Mechs win right now (especially at my level) because they are easy to obtain and they have a lot of synergies to take advantage of early in the game.

We need some cards that make mechs slower. A 0-1 mana "destroy a mech" card or a 2 mana 2/3 minion that says "all mechs cost 1 more" would balance it out a little without destroying the synergy.

JesseZao

There need to be (and I assume there will be) specifically anti-mech cards to combat the usefulness of mechs right now. Mechs win right now (especially at my level) because they are easy to obtain and they have a lot of synergies to take advantage of early in the game.

We need some cards that make mechs slower. A 0-1 mana "destroy a mech" card or a 2 mana 2/3 minion that says "all mechs cost 1 more" would balance it out a little without destroying the synergy.

Anti-Expansion x cards will be in Expansion x+1. Keeps the players payin'.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
Warlocks players are so fucking greedy, i just won a game because a warlock used lifetap when he had more minions than me. that left him open to lethal with savage roar, dumb ass :D

Wow. How absolutely infuriating:

I reduce a Belcher's health to 1 with the Marksman spell

Then I silence it.

Health goes back up to 5.

Wtf.

All spell effects are silence-able. You can silence something with the Peacekeeper effect, and it'll go back to its original effect. If you hover over a minion it'll show all the card text associated with it. Silence hits all of those.

Taz

When will people realise that every season there is annoying flavour of the month decks and stop complaining about them, faceHunter/MechMage/Miracle Rogue/ZooLock etc ete

gutshot

It also works on frozen minions. So if one of your minions is frozen, silencing it will unfreeze it and allow it to attack.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Well guys, it finally happened. I have no idea what the fuck I'm doing, but I guess I'm not going to regret this in the near future. I'll make a new post with a list of (essential or "special" cards) once I'm done with all the pack opening. Fuck Blizzard.

clgtXdK.png

Szadek

Well,not sure why you need 500 packs.Seems a little bit excessive.

Anyway.just bought a few more packs and got Mal'ganis.
Nice,was still missing that one.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
If you can't deal with Mech Mage I can't imagine the terror some of you are going to go through when an actually scary aggro deck shows back up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom