• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT2| Created by Unstable Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
If you rage easily this is not the game to play

So, what is so rage inducing about Hearthstone exactly? Do people really hate losing so much that they can't lose few games without raging?

I find Hearthstone extremely fun, easy, and quick to play, and yeah sure I lose a lot because my card collection sucks but at least the losses aren't taking more than ten minutes or so. I guess I just don't see what's so angering about a card game?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
iq9kzGmYi0Rpm.png
NATURE WILL RISE AGAINST YOU

Velcro Fly

So, what is so rage inducing about Hearthstone exactly? Do people really hate losing so much that they can't lose few games without raging?

I find Hearthstone extremely fun, easy, and quick to play, and yeah sure I lose a lot because my card collection sucks but at least the losses aren't taking more than ten minutes or so. I guess I just don't see what's so angering about a card game?

The RNG basically. Topdecking the right card you need to win. Having the right thing take damage from a knife juggler or mad bomber or whatever. Getting an amazing opening hand (like the double mechwarper crap from a few pages ago haha). There seems to be a heavy luck factor involved in the game that sometimes compensates for bad players playing badly instead of punishing them.

Getting fucked by RNG, mostly.

I don't get mad often but I get frustrated lots.

Dahbomb

It's really the RNG factor that makes people rage.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
And when you're about to stabilize a match, have a decent sized hand, the opponent is topdecking with an empty hand...and gets the exact card he needed.

giphy.gif

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
The fact that Mind Control Tech has only partway entered the new meta is infuriating. It's not common enough that you should really play around it (especially when you need to threaten lethal), but then every once awhile it pops up and it can really fuck you over. Had one steal a Tirion from me and stopped my lethal. =/

Brofist

The last 4 times I've played a secret in arena the opponent has played the secret stealing card. Arena. 4 times straight. 4 different opponents.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
The last 4 times I've played a secret in arena the opponent has played the secret stealing card. Arena. 4 times straight. 4 different opponents.

You know exactly what comes next. You're picking a draft, see Kezan Mystic and pick it only to never see a secret.

Dahbomb

The fact that Mind Control Tech has only partway entered the new meta is infuriating. It's not common enough that you should really play around it (especially when you need to threaten lethal), but then every once awhile it pops up and it can really fuck you over. Had one steal a Tirion from me and stopped my lethal. =/
MCT is in the meta due to Boom and Mech Mage. I am actually considering adding it in myself into a couple of my decks.

A lot of people play around MCT in Arena but in Constructed hardly anyone does it. It's not like if someone has a minion on the board they are going to think twice about putting down a Boom on Turn 7 or that Mech Mage is going to think twice about putting down the 4th Mech.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I honestly find rng to go in my favor more. 'Fuck, Tiron, I'm so fucked- oh hey black knight, ok I win now.'

I just normally expect the worst.

heh this warrior i was playing was making the most inexplicably bad plays

he attacked my cairne with his shieldmaiden, played sylvanas, and then used crush on his own 5/1 shieldmaiden???

and then later, he was afraid of fon/sr (or SOMETHING) when he had 35hp, so he whirwinded my 2 acolytes and executed one, which drew me my 2nd sr for the win....

Dragner

First pick in Warlock arena is Toshly, Kel'Thuzad, and Deathwing. Which should I go for? All of them seem to have their ups and downs.

Well, kel is better for the classic trade up minions that happens in arena, toshly is fine but underlwhelming compared to KT and deathwing I dont know, I dont like it but it can win games.

I would pick KT in a heartbeat

Visceir

Arena match vs mage. Hes got 3 minions on board and no more cards in hand, I toss all my minions on the board and have 4....he draws flamestrike and wins game. Kept on just going "sorry, sorry, sorry" afterwards, haha.

I guess this is what I enjoy about the game though, so unpredictable.

Ended up destroying 2 epics to finally craft a Dr. Boom. Looking forward to having some fun with it.

Mutombo

Guys. I've been doing absolutely shit at Arena. Last weeks 5 has been my max with a mage.

I need help.

Right now i can choose between warlock, druid and warrior. What should I choose? I've been doing shit with all of them.

Mengy

You'll be Alt+F4ing soon enough

Nah, I really don't think so. But then I don't play arena because I did find it extremely frustrating and just TOO random for my tastes. And with my crappy card collection and barely-out-of-basic constructed decks, I honestly expect to lose most of my games, so when I win I'm amazed and exhilarated, LOL. If I manage to work my way up to rank 15 this season it will be a milestone for me!

Visceir

Nah, I really don't think so. But then I don't play arena because I did find it extremely frustrating and just TOO random for my tastes. And with my crappy card collection and barely-out-of-basic constructed decks, I honestly expect to lose most of my games, so when I win I'm amazed and exhilarated, LOL. If I manage to work my way up to rank 15 this season it will be a milestone for me!

It's exactly why I love playing arena. All the regular fights are quite predictable at this point. That plus the higher stakes give quite a rush.

Just drafted a hunter deck in arena with 3 kill commands and 2 sludge belchers. Feeling good about this one, but I never really play hunter.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Had a couple Boom Bots on the field. The enemy has a 4/1 Piloted Shredder up.

My Boom Bot pops the shredder, and a micro machine pops out. Then the boom bot deathrattle activates and kills the micro machine before it even lands from the parachute. I dunno why, but I found that hilarious.

"For a little guy, I pack a big.... UGH!"

Had a couple Boom Bots on the field. The enemy has a 4/1 Piloted Shredder up.

My Boom Bot pops the shredder, and a micro machine pops out. Then the boom bot deathrattle activates and kills the micro machine before it even lands from the parachute. I dunno why, but I found that hilarious.

"For a little guy, I pack a big.... UGH!"

Boom Bots are pissing me off lately. I lost a game to a Handlock yesterday because his Boom Bot killed my 4 health Loatheb before I could finish off his Dr. Boom with it. Dr. Boom himself doesn't need a nerf, just the bots.

Dragner

Boom Bots are pissing me off lately. I lost a game to a Handlock yesterday because his Boom Bot killed my 4 health Loatheb before I could finish off his Dr. Boom with it. Dr. Boom himself doesn't need a nerf, just the bots.

I agree that the bombs need a nerf. 1-2 damage would still be very good without being OP...or make bombs 0/1 unable to attack.

Fixed1979

I used to get pretty mad when I first started playing, but I've come to grips with loosing or getting a bad roll. I still get annoyed on occasion, especially by KT, every time he comes out I cringe a little, really dislike that card.

Hi guys, I just started playing this about a week ago, trying to get the hang of it and reading up on it. Addicting as hell.

Quick question: I have opened 8 packs or so and got a Legendary Beast card, is this one worthwhile?

dralla

This game is a ton of fun. I don't plan on spending any (or not much) money on it though. Priest is my favorite class so far. I messed around with the Mage and she seems cool and will probably be my second class. But if I don't buy anything I'm at a big disadvantage, right? I can't really hang with other people. Me and my friend have been playing against each other and that's been the best since they haven't bought anything either. I'm starting to read up about deck builds and strategies and god damn, it's a rabbit hole. I now have a new game to watch on Twitch

Magnus

I bit the bullet and crafted two Quartermasters, a Lay on Hands, and a second Aldor Peacekeeper to complete a worthwhile paladin deck (since opening a Tirion last week).

Been worth it so far. Fun!

Disappointed that it's doing so much better than my trusty Priest decks. I hate leaving my 'main' behind but the Ladder is fucking rough this month....at like, the 15-20 range. lol

On the topic of rage inducement.

Sure, this game can be frustrating at times. Yesterday I was pretty frustrated personally. But once I got frustrated I just stopped playing.

I think it is important to keep perspective at times. Your goal is to advance over the course of many games and single big failures due to randomness should be ignored or at least just accepted. It is going to happen and there is little you can do at times and you just have to accept that instead of letting it eat at you. When it does get to you, you should probably take a break because you'll end up making small mistakes or perhaps you'll not see that what really is the problem is not that randomness involved but the deck itself.

Disappointed that it's doing so much better than my trusty Priest decks. I hate leaving my 'main' behind but the Ladder is fucking rough this month....at like, the 15-20 range. lol

Yeah..

Priest is great when it works, but draws are so rough at times.

Its just so shitty that most cards don't have much value on their own. They need to be combo'd to be good/great.

Magnus

I bit the bullet and crafted two Quartermasters, a Lay on Hands, and a second Aldor Peacekeeper to complete a worthwhile paladin deck (since opening a Tirion last week).

Been worth it so far. Fun!

I take it back. Having a rough time now with Paladin, too.

What the fuck. Ladder is rough...at low ranks. I can't seem to even get back to 16 now, and had no trouble getting to 13 or even 10 in months past.

I must just be a bad player or something. I'm gonna watch some vids and see what I'm doing wrong.

Mengy

I have the most wins with my warlock deck in constructed and it's what I would consider my "main", but lately I've been thinking of focusing on Paladin too. With my warlock I find I'm often killing myself slowly, his hero power is such a double sided coin. Comparatively my pally deck is arguably less fleshed out yet I win just as much with it, and his hero power never feels like I'm punishing myself. In fact it's very useful and I always feel like I have options with the pally, where my warlock I often find myself debating if I can afford to use the damn hero power or not.

Pallys just seem more versatile to me.

bigkrev

I take it back. Having a rough time now with Paladin, too.

What the fuck. Ladder is rough...at low ranks. I can't seem to even get back to 16 now, and had no trouble getting to 13 or even 10 in months past.

I must just be a bad player or something. I'm gonna watch some vids and see what I'm doing wrong.

I always found 20-15 harder than 15-10, because at the lower ranks someone might blow you out with a card you weren't expecting that normally is sub-par but works great against you in the situation. At the higher ranks, decks tend to normalize, and play skill is rewarded more.

Magnus

I always found 20-15 harder than 15-10, because at the lower ranks someone might blow you out with a card you weren't expecting that normally is sub-par but works great against you in the situation. At the higher ranks, decks tend to normalize, and play skill is rewarded more.

I want to believe this. Hope you're right, haha.

Having a good run with a solid Priest deck in arena right now so far. 2-1 so far. That's sadly better than I've done in awhile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom