• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT2| Created by Unstable Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pooya

fought some mage with minion copy secrets, he got all half a dozen taunt demons, and that card that destroys all cards at the start of turn coupled with freeze.

got it to like 7-8 and I was 18 and facing full stack, he was all "well played" "well played" at every turn thinking I'm done, being a mech mage and all. I dropped strike on his ass, he shut up. then again dropped all of his copies again, "well played" he said...

"well played" I said as I finished him with pyroblast that I just draw, I bet he didn't see that one "well played" coming.

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard
Had a couple Boom Bots on the field. The enemy has a 4/1 Piloted Shredder up.

My Boom Bot pops the shredder, and a micro machine pops out. Then the boom bot deathrattle activates and kills the micro machine before it even lands from the parachute. I dunno why, but I found that hilarious.

"For a little guy, I pack a big.... UGH!"

Amazing lol

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard
On the topic of rage inducement.

Sure, this game can be frustrating at times. Yesterday I was pretty frustrated personally. But once I got frustrated I just stopped playing.

I think it is important to keep perspective at times. Your goal is to advance over the course of many games and single big failures due to randomness should be ignored or at least just accepted. It is going to happen and there is little you can do at times and you just have to accept that instead of letting it eat at you. When it does get to you, you should probably take a break because you'll end up making small mistakes or perhaps you'll not see that what really is the problem is not that randomness involved but the deck itself.

I don't mind losing, especially a good game. It's the smug assholes that get to me.

If this game had a full chat mode I'd probably be weeping in a corner, lol

I want to believe this. Hope you're right, haha.

Having a good run with a solid Priest deck in arena right now so far. 2-1 so far. That's sadly better than I've done in awhile.

I think he is sorta right and sorta wrong. To really blow out of the lower ranks you need both a strong deck and to make the right plays against a wider variety of decks. But then you start coming up against more people who have relied less on luck and more on deck strength, but less variety. At that point you can much easier tailor your deck to beat the smaller variety of decks, thus making it seem easier.

At least that is my experience. You get out of the low ranks and variety sadly always seems to drop. I'll also admit that this season I am having a particularly rough time getting to high ranks and hit a little bit of a wall around rank 10, but partially because the meta shifted quite big so my responding changes will eventually get me around this wall.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
RNGesus decided to fuck me, Mage cast 2 unstable portals, he got:

Cenarius

Sneeds old Shredder

Killed Sneeds, he got: Ysera.

:S

I actually killed a Sneed's yesterday and a 2/2 van cleef popped out. Sorry, I might have taken all your luck.

Dreavus

Game needs an auto mute for emotes.

Honestly in my last little while of playing arena it just feels like a complete crap shoot. I'm not just saying this because I'm on a losing streak or anything, I've been placing decently (4-5+ wins usually). You can't really play around anything because you have no idea what they have. You just kind of play your cards and hope you deck is better. Whether I win or whether I lose it feels like I barely did anything, I just got a better/worse draw than the other guy did. Maybe this game is losing be a little bit, I dunno.

CoolOff

"Okay good, I've finally taken control of this game against a Mech Mage. OH GOD WHY DO YOU RUN FLAMESTRIKE."

Seriously, NO Mech Mage on HearthPwn has it in the deck, and it HAS to make his deck weaker in the long run. FUCK OFF MECH MAGE. It's impressive how there always seems to pop up another cancerous FOTM aggro-deck when another gets nerfed.

Leezard

"Okay good, I've finally taken control of this game against a Mech Mage. OH GOD WHY DO YOU RUN FLAMESTRIKE."

Seriously, NO Mech Mage on HearthPwn has it in the deck, and it HAS to make his deck weaker in the long run. FUCK OFF MECH MAGE. It's impressive how there always seems to pop up another cancerous FOTM aggro-deck when another gets nerfed.

It's a semi-popular replacement for Antonidas for poor people.

Not everyone who netdecks copies the net deck card for card. Flamestrike, I'd imagine, makes the deck much more midrange than aggro anyway. And it was probably added to counter other aggro mech mages, but that is weird imo because I am barely seeing mech mage aggro.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"

Aggro decks are cheap, and they are important. Would you rather everybody play Handlock instead?

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016

I have never netdecked. Is it common? I say this because I watch streams and everyone assumes the deck they are playing against came from hearthpwn.

I enjoy hearthstone a lot because of deck making. I would have a lot less fun if I was playing someone else's creation.

CoolOff

Aggro decks are cheap, and they are important. Would you rather everybody play Handlock instead?

Yes. Take Mech Warper away from it, and I'd agree, but that card just ruins the fun way too often for me. I have no problem with the current iterations of Mech Shaman or Face Hunter, but the Mech Mage-scourge is Undertaker-levels of dumb right now.

Hah, stupid feign death hunter. Really shows you the variety of shitty decks you have to overcome. He played sylvanas and FD'd and stole my zombie chow while I had a 5/1 sylvanas of my own on board. So I get to steal his sylvanas with mine, gain 5 hp from the stolen zombie chow, and then play kelthuzad to get myself yet another sylvanas.

This is a good talking point about that low vs high rank distinction. At higher ranks you face more variety but the variety also provides a lot of shittier decks than what you face at high ranks. And yet the less variety at low ranks still lets you build your deck more specific, which is why a deck that performs well at high ranks can lose a lot at low ranks. Pros have talked about this quite a bit, especially in terms of people taking tournament decks and expecting them to perform on ladder.

I have never netdecked. Is it common? I say this because I watch streams and everyone assumes the deck they are playing against came from hearthpwn.

I enjoy hearthstone a lot because of deck making. I would have a lot less fun if I was playing someone else's creation.

I agree with you, I like to think I am developing a "style of play" from the cards I pick

CoolOff

I've got the dust to make another legendary: Alex, Ysera, Foe Reaper, Deathwing or Sneed?

Alex if you play a lot of Mage and Warrior, Sneed vs. Ysera as the second and that is pretty much a toss-up at the moment. People tend to run Sneeds more, but that might be because of the novelty value.

embalm

I take it back. Having a rough time now with Paladin, too.

What the fuck. Ladder is rough...at low ranks. I can't seem to even get back to 16 now, and had no trouble getting to 13 or even 10 in months past.

I must just be a bad player or something. I'm gonna watch some vids and see what I'm doing wrong.
The first half of the month can be sporadically hard. You just don't know when people that are rank 5+ are going to be picking it up and starting their season. Time of day matters a lot also. For whatever reason I feel like I get rocked on Sunday afternoons.

I've got the dust to make another legendary: Alex, Ysera, Foe Reaper, Deathwing or Sneed?

Depends on what type of deck you're making.

Sneed's is the slowest I'd say, but really good in a late game deck. Same with ysera. Not sure which I'd choose tbh if you're making a control deck But I'd put these at the top of the list of these 5. Sneed's is more random, although ysera has randomness and is stronger the longer it lasts on board. If you're looking for control vs. control, I'd say ysera is better but not by a large margin.

Deathwing is the control deck's last chance. But is not reliable enough to be included even in greedy control decks. I wouldn't craft before the other 4.

Foe reaper in my experience is a really good card. Better than deathwing for sure. I'm still not decided on how good it is as I don't have it.

Guys, Im thinking of buying that Enhance-o-Mechano thing

Such a powerful card that seems to really turn the tide of battle in some cases.

Should I?

embalm

So I made a Warrior deck with Mad Bombers, Madder Bombers, the 4 Piloted mechs, and Sneeds. It's probably the most fun deck I've ever played. I've rounded it out with weapons, Armor smiths, and other warrior staples. It's terrible, I'm winning maybe 30% of my matches, but the deck is awesome.

So I made a Warrior deck with Mad Bombers, Madder Bombers, the 4 Piloted mechs, and Sneeds. It's probably the most fun deck I've ever played. I've rounded it out with weapons, Armor smiths, and other warrior staples. It's terrible, I'm winning maybe 30% of my matches, but the deck is awesome.

Not random enough. Go full Randuin or go home kappa.

Special C

Wow. I just had a guy Naturalize an Argent Squire. He also played a Abusive Sargent to a naked board and targeted one of my 3 minions with the battlecry. Then he proceeded to hero power and attack the target the just buffed.

Can make about 1 pair of epic cards with what dust I have right now. Not really sure if I want anything though. Maybe Piloted Sky Golem(s) and/or a second BGH. Think I'm better off saving for my next legendary though. A lot of the epics I don't have (e.g. Doomsayers, Echo of Medivh) are combo pieces that need one of the legendaries I'm missing (or other epics) to properly function. There's about 3-5 core legendaries I don't have where I really feel their absence.

In other news, climbed to rank 10 today from 16-15. Mostly as control-ish Paladin. Not sure on the win-rate (though it was fairly high), I really should invest in one of those tracker programs one of these days.

EmiPrime

Depends on what type of deck you're making.

Sneed's is the slowest I'd say, but really good in a late game deck. Same with ysera. Not sure which I'd choose tbh if you're making a control deck But I'd put these at the top of the list of these 5. Sneed's is more random, although ysera has randomness and is stronger the longer it lasts on board. If you're looking for control vs. control, I'd say ysera is better but not by a large margin.

Deathwing is the control deck's last chance. But is not reliable enough to be included even in greedy control decks. I wouldn't craft before the other 4.

Foe reaper in my experience is a really good card. Better than deathwing for sure. I'm still not decided on how good it is as I don't have it.

Alex if you play a lot of Mage and Warrior, Sneed vs. Ysera as the second and that is pretty much a toss-up at the moment. People tend to run Sneeds more, but that might be because of the novelty value.

I don't really have anything in mind, I think I have all the cards I want for this month's legendary push as paladin.

Tempting to craft Antonidas and make a really good mage deck but Alex and Ysera have been consistently really good since the game came out!

Visceir

Tempted to switch out mech warpers for shielded minibots in my mage deck and give it a try. I got many mechs in my deck but I rarely benefit from mech warpers's ability, seems like everyone is just super eager to get rid of it which might hinder triggering blastmage/tinkertown abilities.

Tempted to switch out mech warpers for shielded minibots in my mage deck and give it a try. I got many mechs in my deck but I rarely benefit from mech warpers's ability, seems like everyone is just super eager to get rid of it which might hinder triggering blast mage tinkertown abilities.

Re-think that for a second.

Shielded Mini-bot is a Paladin-only card.

ViviOggi

Tempted to switch out mech warpers for shielded minibots in my mage deck and give it a try. I got many mechs in my deck but I rarely benefit from mech warpers's ability, seems like everyone is just super eager to get rid of it which might hinder triggering blastmage/tinkertown abilities.
Report back with the results

Hearthstone deck tracker just keeps improving. The dev of this neat little app is really dedicated to improving this thing and lately he added deck history to the tool. This way I can keep track of (and switch between) the various versions of my deck instead of making a new one every time I make a new revision and wish to track the stats separately. NOTE: I added the stats part in the middle since he hasn't added a filter to specifically sort by deck version but you can see which version was used in each match.

RE_v1_5.png

Also, I had a rough time yesterday. It feels really good to be on a 6 win streak after getting thrashed about yesterday. As you can see the change between 1.3 and 1.4 were a lot of cards.

Version 1.1 was in response to a lot of face decks. 1.3 was in response to a lot of control and midrange decks, but it was still sucking. 1.4 was going in part back to my pre-gvg fatigue roots and 1.5 was modernizing the fatigue deck a bit more.

@Raxus, I know you've been trying to get me to switch to owl. Since I added 2x 4 drops, I did change it because of curve reasons only ;)

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Hunter. I figure if I even have just 2-3 minions on the field, I can really make bank with them all getting taunts, windfury, and shield.

For me, Argus's +1/+1 are usually scarier. That little extra health and attack can practically be the same as a divine shield in a lot of situations.

Piloted shredder dropped me a mech warper

Fucking LOL

That has already happened to me since adding shredder to my deck. My control deck has little to gain from vomitting out cards like an aggro deck does, but even just being a 2/3 surviving consecration was good. And then on turn 7 it let me sky golem and hero power in the same turn, which sounds like nothing but it is a big deal in control paladin vs control paladin.

edit:
Also got a doomsayer on my opponents turn which was pretty good, not great for either of us but still better for me.

Thanks for the tips. I have 720 Dust but have reserved my spending for new deck expansions to come out because I feel like I bought all the cards I need for my Hunter.

But I've been noticing that this season in February has been really hard. I'm noticing a whole bunch of new playstyles that were never there before. What gives? As far as I know, only the Undertaker card got nerfed.

Were there major changes or something?

I am losing to Mages who play primarily Secrets, seeing Enhance o Mechano more, and seeing mech decks a lot more often. Then there are these legendary cards, like that 8/8 card that doesn't attack but deals damage at the end of the turn. I'm seeing them often.

I am stuck at level 20 with the same deck I used in January, which had me floating around level 16.

Seems like my Hunter deck is obsolete haha. Mechs seem like they have a lot of good psynergy too.

Did something happen?

egruntz

shelaughz
What gives? As far as I know, only the Undertaker card got nerfed.

Were there major changes or something?

Did something happen?

Undertaker nerf was a major change. After Naxxramus, deathrattle decks became core in nearly every class. If not entire decks, at least core cards within that deck. Control decks really only made use of sticky minions, such as Sludge Belcher, but most agro/midrage deathrattle decks made huge use of Undertaker, because it just simply made your deck better.

You know what Hunter used...
Priest used Cultist, Sludge...
Mage used Mad Scientist, Harvest Golem...

Yada-yada.

Undertaker was pretty big. Making it not essential opened up demand to try out new things, which GvG brought. Now Mech Mage is the new cancer, particularly because of Blastmage and Mechwarper. The latter just needs a toughness removed, and the former needs a hard nerf altogether. Before that happens, Mechmage will be dominant. Worse than old Huntertaker IMO. So annoying to play against.

Undertaker nerf was a major change. After Naxxramus, deathrattle decks became core in nearly every class. If not entire decks, at least core cards within that deck. Control decks really only made use of sticky minions, such as Sludge Belcher, but most agro/midrage deathrattle decks made huge use of Undertaker, because it just simply made your deck better.

You know what Hunter used...
Priest used Cultist, Sludge...
Mage used Mad Scientist, Harvest Golem...

Yada-yada.

Undertaker was pretty big. Making it not essential opened up demand to try out new things, which GvG brought. Now Mech Mage is the new cancer, particularly because of Blastmage and Mechwarper. The latter just needs a toughness removed, and the former needs a hard nerf altogether. Before that happens, Mechmage will be dominant. Worse than old Huntertaker IMO. So annoying to play against.

Mech mage is not dominant though. I don't even think I've played a single one today.

11 matches, 0 mages for today. And not many yesterday either.

Unlike DR aggro/midrange hunter before the UT nerf, mech mage can be countered which means it is much much more acceptable than hunter+UT was. Also, I've played face hunters today but 0 mech aggro mage.

ViviOggi

Also classes directly influence each other due to the simplistic ladder system where winrate alone is key. For example during the periods when Hunter reigns Warriors get stronger, which kills Freeze Mage who has bad matchups against both classes and keeps Rogue in check, a deck generally unfavored vs Warrior and somewhat even vs Hunter - Druid on the other hand used to get rekt by UT and Buzzard/Unleash Hunter but is favored vs Warrior. Now that Hunter has become slower and MM dominates taunt-heavy Druids thrive while Warrior can't deal well with either MM or Druid.

There next big shift will occur once Hunter comes back in full force.

This match up had me cackling at the end. I was like, I dare you to play dr. boom (was turn 5 or 6 due to wild growth). He had a shade of naxx on board. But I had both mind control tech and BGH in hand. I was thinking, getting ready for the biggest swing of your life. I only got a boom bot, but he revealed the shade which let me kill it off with my recruits, then bgh his dr. boom and I easily dispatched the other bot.

Many turns later (I was at 28hp before I even got the healing totem):

Hearthstone_Screenshot_2_9_2015_19_13_21.png

AWESOME dr. boom rng.

One boom bot has like a 1/6 chance to hit face. It does. Then hits me for four... and the douchebag is playing leeroy and has a fireball. Any other outcome and I would have won. And the guy played like shit the entire game. Even 3 damage to face and I would have won.

edit:
Another game except this time both bombs hit me, 1/4th chance or less for each, and it does 6 damage.

Magnus

3 Legendaries in 40 packs tonight.

Too bad they were all dupes!

Nat Pagle
Leeroy Jenkins
and Millhouse Manastorm (who I already DE'd - this'll hit the dust again)

Nabbed a few key epics I was missing - Gorehowl and Preparation.

With the goldens, it'll be about 3400 dust too. Not bad. Time to shop for legendaries again....maybe it'll be Sneed this time.

I have 4300 total. I might use it to get a few key carss I'm still missing that are necessary for certain classes.

- A second Preparation for Rogue
- Grommash for Warrior (and Crush?)
- A BGH (or two?)

I think that for most viable Druid decks I'd need two Ancients of War AND two Force of Natures. Somehow still don't have any of those. That'd be a hefty investment. My Cenarius is just rotting here though. Lol

The rares I'm still missing after all of these packs are:

Recycle
Shadowboxer
Dunemaul Shaman
Commanding Shout
Target Dummy (I've had 5 and DE'd them all lol)
Imp Master
Madder Bomber

I don't think any are crucial crafts.

Since we seem to have a bunch of new people in here who are working on building their collection, I'm going to post my collection spreadsheet again.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1p94gq_GGTw8L1MeyBOCwoGu6nsjcGP8W_U9vsL8hTLQ/edit?usp=sharing

I think I'm going to fill this out quick now and see how I'm doing, haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom