• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT2| Created by Unstable Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
I came across that deck today. He turn one coined a zap dude. Was easy because I had shielded minibot. Even after he lucky rolled a taunt, I had aldor to cut its teeth.

Looks like it doesn't run lightning storm or any aoe. But Dr. boom, doomhammer, no neptulon. Just keep 1 bgh at least, clear board so flametongue is useless. Taunt up to avoid doomhammer combos, or run harrison to take out doomhammer. It does run powermace as well.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
First match in arena going against paladin. Double shielded mini bot open into kings. Face rushing and taunts.

That minion is so fucking annoying.

Oil Rogues are the scariest shit man. Especially without a Harrison. Just had a game where he was one damage off lethal, but conceded at the last second cause he was going to die to my weapon/fatigue. 1 point of damage game. Might tech in an ooze instead of the acolyte of pain.

Seeing more Legend card backs too. Though I never reached it myself before I guess my ELO is high enough, especially at rank 9 now this early in the season. What usually happens is I grind for a couple days, then don't play at all for a week or so. Never put in the consistent grind to make it all the way. We'll see about this month though. Pretty good progress so far.

Papercuts

Deathwing into a topdeck arcane golem that killed my gadgetzan letting deathwing go face for an extra turn.

I had shadowform and was 2 damage off of lethal. God dammit arena.

Atleast I got a golden filled pack for it.

FqZEXvi.png

Brofist

I just won an arena match where the opponent coined zap-o-matic into a flametongue totem, and got 2 full turns at my face with it.

KePoW

Banned
hey All --

For someone like me who has never played any card game and is a complete noob (I'm having trouble beating the Normal AI with the default Warlock deck). Unfortunately it seems you do not get any gold playing the AI... unlike Heroes of the Storm where you do. Not sure why they can't at least give you a little, that sucks

So is it better for me to try to do the dailies in Casual or Ranked queue? Is there an ELO-type system for both modes where it will match me up with complete noobs?

I tried Casual for 3 games and lost each one

gutshot

hey All --

For someone like me who has never played any card game and is a complete noob (I'm having trouble beating the Normal AI with the default Warlock deck). Unfortunately it seems you do not get any gold playing the AI... unlike Heroes of the Storm where you do. Not sure why they can't at least give you a little, that sucks

So is it better for me to try to do the dailies in Casual or Ranked queue? Is there an ELO-type system for both modes where it will match me up with complete noobs?

There is a hidden ELO system in Casual called MMR (match-making rating) which should match you up against other new players. Ranked only matches you up against players of the same rank and these can run the gamut of totally new players like yourself to experienced players who haven't yet started their ladder climb yet this season.

Best thing to do at this point is to unlock and level all the classes to 10 by playing the AI. It may also help to watch the Trump Teachings video series as he presents a nice breakdown of the basics plus gives you some starter decks which are better than the default ones.

KePoW

Banned
There is a hidden ELO system in Casual called MMR (match-making rating) which should match you up against other new players. Ranked only matches you up against players of the same rank and these can run the gamut of totally new players like yourself to experienced players who haven't yet started their ladder climb yet this season

ok thx! this is what I was wondering how it worked

hey All --

Casual matchmaking is terribly inconsistent. For at least the first few games of ranked, you should almost exclusively be playing against people with little experience and basic decks. Ranked starts at 25, and below 20 you can't lose any ranked stars.

Usually people would say arena is the best way to make gold, but I would recommend watching videos of people who are good at arena like Trump before spending too much time in Arena.

Also note that if you ever get the 100 gold dominance quest, you can complete that quest by playing against the AI.

Celegus

Is it possible to use Amazon credit/coins/whatever to buy card packs for the PC version and not through Android? Did some mturk tasks while playing Hearthstone during the other player's turn, in order to see if buying cards brings me any more luck than doing quests - very meta.

Ugh... my friend opened a pack today a got Baron Geddon, Cenarius, and Golden Tirion.

A pack. A single pack.

ok thx! this is what I was wondering how it worked

If you ever need help or want to practice, you can just message me. I can usually find time to test decks and show you the ropes, if you don't mind me sometimes explaining things in too much detail.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
First match in arena going against paladin. Double shielded mini bot open into kings. Face rushing and taunts.

That minion is so fucking annoying.

Sounds pretty good. I guess I need to try it.

The only thing holding me back was the fact that it feels like every early game minion people are playing right now have 3 health, but I guess that doesn't matter if you are going to just keep hitting face.

KePoW

Banned
Also note that if you ever get the 100 gold dominance quest, you can complete that quest by playing against the AI.

If you ever need help or want to practice, you can just message me. I can usually find time to test decks and show you the ropes, if you don't mind me sometimes explaining things in too much detail.

sweet thx team!

I'll keep my eye out on that AI quest... I guess you can delete daily quests? it seemed to do it once, but now it doesn't work so I'm not sure

Papercuts

The only thing holding me back was the fact that it feels like every early game minion people are playing right now have 3 health, but I guess that doesn't matter if you are going to just keep hitting face.

It can really mess up tempo if their only 2 drop is a 3/2(which is pretty common with stuff like faerie dragon), since if they drop it it's just sacrificial for the divine shield while the pally builds up a board.

A 2/3 can be more problematic but just ignoring it and building up more of a board can help out a lot. Or if you're lucky enough to draft muster and have it in hand, the swing from the weapon makes the difference and is a big threat.

You can reroll a quest once a day. Generally people reroll 40 gold quests because you don't lose anything by rerolling. You shouldn't reroll 60 gold quests.

_DrMario_

Noob rant.

So I started playing Ranked yesterday. I did my 3 quests, getting about a 50% win rate using the "basic" deck setup from Icy-Veins with 3 different classes.

Today I tried doing my quest. I think I lost 20 times in a row with the basic deck mage. It's also obvious people my rank are not using the basic setup. Are the basic deck guides on Icy Veins shit and I'm the only one who doesn't know?

Just thinking of the amount of time I've played this game today without winning one game makes me fucking sick.

Noob rant.

So I started playing Ranked yesterday. I did my 3 quests, getting about a 50% win rate using the "basic" deck setup from Icy-Veins with 3 different classes.

Today I tried doing my quest. I think I lost 20 times in a row with the basic deck mage. It's also obvious people my rank are not using the basic setup. Are the basic deck guides on Icy Veins shit and I'm the only one who doesn't know?

Just thinking of the amount of time I've played this game today without winning one game makes me fucking sick.

Play casual. Rank 20 does not mean new players and the basic decks do not stack up until perhaps the last week of the month (when everybody else has moved up).

You'll still hit plenty of good decks in casual, but you'll get your share of wins too.

gutshot

Is it possible to use Amazon credit/coins/whatever to buy card packs for the PC version and not through Android? Did some mturk tasks while playing Hearthstone during the other player's turn, in order to see if buying cards brings me any more luck than doing quests - very meta.

No, but you can use an Android emulator to run the Amazon version of the game and then use your credits/coins to buy packs.

I've been playing for a little over 2 months....and I have no idea how to do this. :-
On the main page there's a button with an exclamation point on it, looks kind of like a compass rose. Click that and all of your available quests will be shown on the bottom of that window. Each quest window will have a red square with a X. Click that to re-roll that quest.

You can also see all your victories, highest Constructed and Arena ranks, and all class levels.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Noob rant.

Watch Trump Teachings. It's Hearthstone strategy 101, you're probably missing some of the fundamentals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KjtRokhpvM&list=PLvEIxIeBRKSjprrvlbAcbVjzHsnH9PjDX

This morning before maintenance I had the worst arena run I've had in ages... 1:3, with an actually really decent mage deck. I just got wrecked by 2 aggro druids and lost a close game to a priest because of mind control.

That said, the RNG gods rewarded me for seeing through the suffering with a shiny new Malganis. I don't play Warlock often, but hey a legendary is a legendary.

Magnus

Well, I just lost 1600 dust.

Lesson learned: don't even risk 'previewing' an expensive card with the express intention of 'undo'ing it a moment later, because sometimes, the app will crash, or you'll misclick, or in my case, you'll undo it but close the app too soon afterward or some garbage, and the undo won't register.

After two tickets, Blizzard won't help me.

I guess I'll stare at this golden legendary I don't need for a few more minutes before DE-ing it to get half my dust back.

lol. Foolish mistake.

-

Anyway, after realizing that I can actually use iTunes store credit on HS packs, I'm going to burn the last of my holiday gift cards today on one last (and I mean last) bunch of packs.

Unsure whether to go Vanilla or GvG for these.

How do you all decide? I have all the commons/rares I need from both sets, I'm pretty sure. I could use the Epics/Legendaries from GvG more....guess that means I grab that set now?

Fixed1979

Terrible night in NA Arena, drafted a priest deck I was pretty happy with and proceeded to get stomped, I don't remember the last time I didn't make it to 3 wins in arena...sigh.

Anyone looking for BN friends? More for spectating purposes than anything though I'd be up for some deck testing as well. Fixed#1184

Strider

Well, I just lost 1600 dust.

Lesson learned: don't even risk 'previewing' an expensive card with the express intention of 'undo'ing it a moment later, because sometimes, the app will crash, or you'll misclick, or in my case, you'll undo it but close the app too soon afterward or some garbage, and the undo won't register.

I guess I'll stare at this golden legendary I don't need for a few more minutes before DE-ing it to get half my dust back.

Damn :/ What legendary was it?

Miletius

I'm really warming up to Warlocks in Arena. Their Hero Power gives card advantage, which is huge in Arena where people often end up topdecking towards the end of a drawn out game.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Vol'jin. lol. Seemed like a cool animation, wanted to have a peek. Should have just popped open one of the HS sites that have them all as GIFs. What a stupid, expensive mistake. lol

At least it wasn't some useless legendary like The Beast or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom