• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT2| Created by Unstable Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.

JesseZao

no it should reverse the healing effect not hit you for -1 until you die.

warsong commander is also bugged. she no longer gives charge to summoned minions.

They've said soulpriest + Mistress of Pain is working as intended. The heal effect is also considered damage done by the Mistress, so it keeps hitting until the player dies.

They've said soulpriest + Mistress of Pain is working as intended. The heal effect is also considered damage done by the Mistress, so it keeps hitting until the player dies.

that doesn't make sense...

edit: oh so they count the proc as the card dealing damage. seems like an accurate yet totally lame way to implement that.

JesseZao

that doesn't make sense...

Sure it does. Soulpriest turns healing effects into damage effects.

1. Mistress does damage to something.

2. This triggers the heal of your hero on the card text.

3. Instead of healing, it does damage because of the Soulpirest.

4. Mistress just did damage again so it goes back to step 2.

EmiPrime

kaxu8gZ.jpg

Giving this mage lark a go.

Magnus

Playing a Mech Shaman variant with Forked Lightning and Al'akir (which no one seems to expect) and having a lot of success. Soared up from 19 to 16 real quick with no losses.

Mech Priest was fun, too, but not as consistent.

Basically, if a Priest has a Auchenai Soulpriest out and then pulls a Mistress of Pain from a Piloted Shredder, you win instantly if you send one of your minions into their Mistress of Pain or attack their Mistress of Pain with your weapon. The Priest would have to kill/silence their Auchenai or destroy their Mistress with a spell/silence it in order to not lose.

egruntz

shelaughz

It'd be more logical to attribute that damage to Soulpriest's effects, not Mistress's direct damage.

The way these cards SHOULD behave is have -X HP done to yourself after Mistress deals X damage. A single instance, and that's it.

But card text is never clear in Hearthstone, so who knows if this is how they intended the behavior.

Szadek

It'd be more logical to attribute that damage to Soulpriest's effects, not Mistress's direct damage.

The way these cards SHOULD behave is have -X HP done to yourself after Mistress deals X damage. A single instance, and that's it.

But card text is never clear in Hearthstone, so who knows if this is how they intended the behavior.
No it shouldn't.Soulpruests effect is passive.
It changes the rules,but doesn't deal damage by itself.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I don't know how viable 5x Argent Protector is, and I'm not sure I care.

I went against a paladin once who, before trading his boulderfist ogre, gave it divine shield. Then the turn after. Then the turn after. We were only around 15 cards deep so he either had a shitload of them or just drew into them perfectly, but it wrecked me hard.

johnsmith

remember me
Control priest is so fucking bad. If you don't get a pyro combo it's rip against this meta. Relying on a 3+ card combo sure is consistent.

Priest is shit tier right now. My best bet is probably just playing my old deathrattle deck minus undertakers.

Control priest is so fucking bad. If you don't get a pyro combo it's rip against this meta. Relying on a 3+ card combo sure is consistent.

Priest is shit tier right now. My best bet is probably just playing my old deathrattle deck minus undertakers.

I think mech priest should work honestly. I know I have lost to it before. Proactive priest decks tend to snowball fast when they work.

In fact, I'm thinking about making a mech priest deck right now. I hope I have the cards to build it all.

My goal will be beating both shaman and mage mech decks. Then I'll start to think about other decks.

egruntz

shelaughz
No it shouldn't.Soulpruests effect is passive.
It changes the rules,but doesn't deal damage by itself.

Just because Soulpriest's effect is passive doesn't mean it's not the cause of the damage. it is the cause. "It doesn't deal damage by itself." The same thing is true for Mistress, so I don't see your point here. The only direct damage that Mistress deals is through its Attack attribute. Any healing its effect causes should only be related to damage dealt with it actively.

That's like saying that (an applied) Blessing of Wisdom should draw a card every time Knife Juggler's effect takes place.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
It probably helps to think of Soulpriest's effect as a replacement effect, to use Magic terminology, and I'm confident that's the idea they had in mind in design and implementation.

CoolOff

So, I heard someone mention that Blizzard have been talking about the next expansion having something to do with Arena. Does anyone have a source for this?

plsplspls Arena-rankings.

Dreavus

It probably helps to think of Soulpriest's effect as a replacement effect, to use Magic terminology, and I'm confident that's the idea they had in mind in design and implementation.

I'm trying to think of a situation where this could happen in magic, something along the lines of "When you gain life from lifelink, lose that much life instead". But I don't think an effect like that would trigger over and over like it does here.

The first part "dealing damage to gain life" is looping into the heal part instead of replacing it for one trigger. Seems a bit weird that converted "healing" counts as the Mistress dealing damage again.

FAKE EDIT: I guess it's because magic has this clause:
614.5. A replacement effect doesn't invoke itself repeatedly; it gets only one opportunity to affect an event or any modified events that may replace it.
Example: A player controls two permanents, each with an ability that reads "If a creature you control would deal damage to a creature or player, it deals double that damage to that creature or player instead." A creature that normally deals 2 damage will deal 8 damage -- not just 4, and not an infinite amount.
I could imagine a pair of Hearthstone cards with a similar effect just doing an "activation" animation over and over forever, lol.

Dragner

Today ive been giving warrior a shot made a quick 10-0 followed by a equally quick 0-7. Luckily the winning strike made me finish 3 full ranks. Already on 10. Time to get serious.

Im missing baron geddon using as legendaries, alexstrasza, grommash, ragnaros, dr boom, harrison and sylvanas. Would love to use ysera also but dont have her. I was using Cairne and Kel thuzad before instead of ragnaros and a second shield maiden but they were unimpresive.

Also played more bots today, its starting to be a plague.

Levi

Banned
My main double combo druid deck does really well against mech mage (just crushed a golden portrait mech mage) and oil rogue but I'm getting destroyed by mech shaman pretty consistently. Ugh, I thought I was going to have a great season. Went 9-1 the day before everyone started using mech shaman.

What do you think is better in the current meta, Black Knight or Harrison? Using Harrison at the moment but thinking of subbing him out for BK.

Haly

I'm trying to think of a situation where this could happen in magic, something along the lines of "When you gain life from lifelink, lose that much life instead". But I don't think an effect like that would trigger over and over like it does here.
This is the closest.
Image.ashx

And it's designed not to trigger creatures with Lifelink infinitely.

There's also the Sanguine Blood/Exquisite Blood combo.
376480.full.jpg

Image.ashx

So far so good in this arena. 6-0 start.

Went priest and my deck is fairly solid, but my 3 drops are really lackluster. Velen's chosen is my saving grace at the 3 spot.

6-3 inc.

JesseZao

Can someone tell me, why is Magic considered to be more skilled? Can anyone explain?

It's just been around a lot longer, so there are naturally more developed mechanics and cards.

Main reason would be the different phases of each turn and the ability of the opponent to react with cards during your turn and block your attackers with their choice of minion.

As a whole, there are just a ton more pieces to work with, strategy-wise.

Jrmint

Has anyone tried that 'beast synergy' Hunter deck on hearthpwn? I played one casual match where it worked pretty well. Wondering if you guys have any experience.

So far so good going 5-0 in arena with this draft, just some crazy synergy.

fVM0QqX.jpg

What website is this from?

It's just been around a lot longer, so there are naturally more developed mechanics and cards.

Main reason would be the different phases of each turn and the ability of the opponent to react with cards during your turn and block your attackers with their choice of minion.

As a whole, there are just a ton more pieces to work with, strategy-wise.

Is there something inherently more strategic about magic though?

Can hearthstone become more strategic with new rules? I am curious because I keep hearing Hearthstone is very luck based

Haly

Can someone tell me, why is Magic considered to be more skilled? Can anyone explain?

There's a lot of reasons but primarily, it's because players get to take actions during other players' turns, exponentially increasing the amount of decision making per turn.

iirate

What website is this from?

It's from heartharena.

Is there something inherently more strategic about magic though?

Can hearthstone become more strategic with new rules? I am curious because I keep hearing Hearthstone is very luck based

Hearthstone has little rng, at least compared to the CCG genre. The supposed high variance of cards like the shredder's is offset(at least compared to MtG) by the game having far less resource variance(land flood/screw ruins way more MtG matches than Doomsayers ruin HS matches). Most people I've seen cite being unable to interact on your opponent's turn as a major reason why the game requires less skill, but all that means is that the skills involved are different. Play shifts around the idea that you can't break your opponent's sequences, and also Hearthstone places a greater emphasis around sequencing of your own plays generally speaking.

I'm not going to argue which game requires more skill, but they are both far more skill based than luck based(they just happen to emphasize different skills). More rules doesn't necessarily equal more depth.

Magic has somewhat been dumbed down in recent years with the removal of stacking damage.

It was justified, though. It was hard for newer players to come in and be bombarded with all of the intricate rules in competitive play. It was just more headache than it was worth.

There's a lot of reasons but primarily, it's because players get to take actions during other players' turns, exponentially increasing the amount of decision making per turn.

I don't think that makes it more skilled. Asynchronous turns has its own set of challenges.

It is difficult to straight up compare the two card games even though they have some similarities, there are a lot of things that set them apart.

CoolOff

Man, I'm 5-0 playing my most fun arena-deck ever. Rogue with a lot of draw, Fel Reaver, Cold Blood, Oil, 2x Deckhands.

Never had such an odd deck do so well. Fel Reaver just wrecks people on turn 5.

Got Humility on it in the fourth game, but I easily bursted him down before he could fatigue me. Took like 3 turns of fatigue.

Man, I'm 5-0 playing my most fun arena-deck ever. Rogue with a lot of draw, Fel Reaver, Cold Blood, Oil, 2x Deckhands.

Never had such an odd deck do so well. Fel Reaver just wrecks people on turn 5.

Got Humility on it in the fourth game, but I easily bursted him down before he could fatigue me. Took like 3 turns of fatigue.

I think the interesting part about fel reaver is that it really does make card draw valuable since you're gonna run out of cards faster than you can fill your hand anyway. At the same time it means your aggression is lowered because you're drawing cards. But with the right deck I can see this working out despite being kinda counter intuitive and a bit wonky at times.

I saw a druid running fel reaver play kibler though, and he had set it up so his wailing soul silenced the reaver and his ogre the same turn. Pretty neat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom