• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT2| Created by Unstable Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vio-Lence

Banned
I would honestly physically hurt anyone who would stand next to me and admit to be playing as mech mage. I would start off by biting off their genitals.

I am honestly so, so tired of the current meta. People say Hearthstone is going towards slow play? Holy shit, how much money have Blizzard given you in order to spew such nonsense?

this post could have been written at any point since release regarding freeze mage, face hunter, unleash plus buzzard and leeroy hunter, zoo locks, miracle rogue, undertaker hunter, etc.

Szadek

Mech mages aren't that bad.Much less annoying that hunter pre UT nerf.
Full control meta isn't fun at all,so we need some good aggro decks.

Just pulled an Edwin VanCleef.

Not a huge fan of Rogue but I imagine that's a legendary you just can't really afford to disenchant.

VC is worth keeping. He isn't an autoinclude in rogue decks but still very strong include. Just play him when you make him a 6/6 or higher. 4/4 is just not worth it. Avoiding BGH by making it a 6/6 is nice but it isn't the worst target to be BGH'd because the mana spent to remove is the same and sometimes the gains are much higher and worth the risk of BGH.

One trap, however, is going all in on a van cleef. Because if you go all in on a VC, even a silence is a loss.

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard
Probably too OT, but what do you do? I met a few Hearthstone people at GDC last year and they were fun to meet.

Speaking of which, there's another HearthStone talk this year that should be fun. It's all about UI if I remember correctly.

I work in tech QA (so not on a game team). I worked the GvG demo area this past Blizzcon (requested it) and had a lot of fun, got to chat with a couple of the devs and Ben Brode's brother, lol (nice guys all).

VC is worth keeping. He isn't an autoinclude in rogue decks but still very strong include. Just play him when you make him a 6/6 or higher. 4/4 is just not worth it. Avoiding BGH by making it a 6/6 is nice but it isn't the worst target to be BGH'd because the mana spent to remove is the same and sometimes the gains are much higher and worth the risk of BGH.

One trap, however, is going all in on a van cleef. Because if you go all in on a VC, even a silence is a loss.

Thanks for the advice. I'll definitely hold on to him.

Might even try to get into Rogue once I get around to crafting Thalnos and some other stuff.

KePoW

Banned
I work in tech QA (so not on a game team). I worked the GvG demo area this past Blizzcon (requested it) and had a lot of fun, got to chat with a couple of the devs and Ben Brode's brother, lol (nice guys all).

hey do u know the Jay Wilson guy at Blizzard?

is it true he got into a major blood feud with the original founder of Diablo 1 and Diablo 2??

That's cool! Thanks for the reply. There seem to be a few Blizzard guys around in this thread, and other threads I'd assume, which is great. Keep up the good work!

Rapstah

I just won a game where my opponent had Dr. Boom, two Boom Bots, Loatheb and a Tinkertown Technician (obviously lethal) on board and 4 HP by Facelessing a Boom Bot and playing a Cruel Taskmaster to bomb his face for 4. I'm expecting hate mail.

Dragner

The really amazing thing about that clip was that he had seven draws to get any sort of damage and drew nothing but minions. The Leeroy was RNGesus compensating for that streak of bad draws.

Opponent deserve that lose for letting cog master living in a deck that features unleash the hounds.

KePoW

Banned
If I'm still really new to the game and really don't plan on taking time to master strategies, should I just spend my gold on packs?

Or is Arena still worth it for someone like me?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
equality in arena should be banned

If I'm still really new to the game and really don't plan on taking time to master strategies, should I just spend my gold on packs?

Not to sound rude or arrogant (which I probably am), but why would you want to play something if you don't want to get better?

kiryani

Can reincarnate shaman be considered literally the most fun to be had in hearthstone?

Rivendare + Cairne + reincarnate x2
Infinite thaddius shenanigans
Kel thuzad nonsense

Deck has it all

Can reincarnate shaman be considered literally the most fun to be had in hearthstone?

Rivendare + Cairne + reincarnate x2
Infinite thaddius shenanigans
Kel thuzad nonsense

Deck has it all
It's a lot of damn fun, I played it right after Naxx came out. Just not 100% reliable.

Then again, I ran Far Sight in my deck, so there's probably a better deck out there.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
A cancerous run in arena (2-3) gave me Vol'jin. Good.

Avinexus

If you like playing arena, do that. If you don't, just spend it on packs and play constructed.

KePoW

Banned
Not to sound rude or arrogant (which I probably am), but why would you want to play something if you don't want to get better?

I don't take anything personally, it's not a bad question

The answer is that video games is purely a side hobby for me, I don't play them competitively. So I don't want to spend extra time "researching" or reading stuff. I just want to pick up and play, I don't want to make any extra effort above that

Being super competitive in video games is not fun for me. Actually I'd rather just play AI, but it seems like even the Expert level are fixed... their decks never change?

If you like playing arena, do that. If you don't, just spend it on packs and play constructed.

Ok cool. I meant more from a better usage of Gold standpoint?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Playing arena is more efficient if you're good.

By good I mean you have a >60-70% win rate.

iirate

Playing arena is more efficient if you're good.

By good I mean you have a >60-70% win rate.

I've been doing pretty poorly since returning to arena after a year or so off. I'm 20 runs in, with just 3.3 wins per run average, and I am getting way more value than I'm spending(averaging 70 gold and 17 dust per run). Even when I was still below 3 wins average, I was more than breaking even.

I say that you should only avoid arena if you don't like the format. If you have fun playing arena at all and have any interest in getting better, you'll earn more cards there than just buying packs.

bunbun777

Having played for a while and already gotten most of the cards, let me just say I absolutely love the gold animated ones. Can totally understand why people would dust them for more cards but for me that will never happen (again, once had 2 gold kidnappers and dusted one for something). So Cho and Nessingwary you guys are safe, even though you're garbage. I'm not a totally insane collector though, will dust any regular cards I get when the gold ones show up or are crafted.

KePoW

Banned
I've been doing pretty poorly since returning to arena after a year or so off. I'm 20 runs in, with just 3.3 wins per run average, and I am getting way more value than I'm spending(averaging 70 gold and 17 dust per run). Even when I was still below 3 wins average, I was more than breaking even.

I say that you should only avoid arena if you don't like the format. If you have fun playing arena at all and have any interest in getting better, you'll earn more cards there than just buying packs.

ok thx for the info!

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard
That's cool! Thanks for the reply. There seem to be a few Blizzard guys around in this thread, and other threads I'd assume, which is great. Keep up the good work!

Thanks! I love this game - I got into the closed beta two days before my initial phone interview, and I really think my passion for it made a huge impact. : D

Thanks! I love this game - I got into the closed beta two days before my initial phone interview, and I really think my passion for it made a huge impact. : D

Awesome! I'll have to keep that in mind.

Just had a Priest play Death Lord and Velen's Chosen. Draw into Black Knight. Even though I won, I died. In the words of a great prophet, "If you only put good cards in your deck, it's not top decking."

So after never getting a golden legendary before, I just opened a golden Malygos and golden King Mukla from the same 20 packs. Would be nice to keep, but I need dat dust for more important cards.

Edit: Decided to go in for a little more and pulled a Cenarius. Hurray! Now I'm trying to figure out exactly what to craft with my newfound richness of dust.

Dr. Boom?

Have it.

Alex is definitely happening since it serves a couple decks, but I have to choose whether to finish control warrior with everything sans Geddon, or lean towards fleshing out mage with an Antonidas to round out mech and the couple epics I need to make freeze happen.

So it's mostly a tossup between Grom and Antonidas.

Leaning towards mage and I can come back and craft Grom at a later date.

Brofist

Troggzor is fine for what it does. On an empty board at it's worst it usually draws a removal and gives you a 3/5 out of it. If it lasts a turn and you play another minion which needs to be dealt with the game will snowball.

If you are expecting the opponent to go full idiot mode and give you 5 free Burly Rockjaw Troggs out of it, yes it will leave you disappointed most of the time.

Comparing it to Dr. Boom, the most overpowered card currently in the game is just silly.

I know...I shouldn't spend money in an F2P but well...my mind is treating this more like MTG than F2P game..

Should I buy packs in the expansion and Naxx as well? Or is it better to keep buying expert packs?

I know...I shouldn't spend money in an F2P but well...my mind is treating this more like MTG than F2P game..

Should I buy packs in the expansion and Naxx as well? Or is it better to keep buying expert packs?

Definitely buy Naxx. Some of the best cards are in that expansion and it's much more efficient to spend cash on it than save up such a ridiculous amount of gold.

As far as what packs to buy, it's really up to you. As a newer player it's probably best to stick with Classic packs, especially since you can't earn them in Arena right now. Plus, a majority of the staple cards for each class are in the Classic set. Still though, depending on how much you're spending, there's no reason you can't pepper in some GvG packs as well because there are a lot of great cards in that set too.

Down to Harrison vs. Grom now. Probably gonna go with Harrison since he's applicable to more decks and get Grom as my next craft (possibly when Dr. Boom is nerfed?), though I could finally play somewhat decent albeit gimped control warrior if I went with Grom first.

Anyway been playing some of the mech mage cancer with my newly crafted Antonidas, up to rank 4 now. Only had a loss or two, one vs. an oil rogue and another vs. a pretty lucky druid IIRC.

Dragner

Haha I spent 500$ in hearthstone dont feel bad about it.

To be fair my investment was not really real money since it came from selling some cards from Magic online where I went infinite long ago and the game sucks now so...

But I could see people demonizing P2W luckily the game offers arena if you want to go infinite here...but Im a constructed guy.

Pooya

throws dr. doom at me, ok I can manage that next urn
throws gah'rzilla at me, ok whatever next... ready to die now?
throws king krush at me... fff uuuuuu

Ikkarus

throws dr. doom at me, ok I can manage that next urn
throws gah'rzilla at me, ok whatever next... ready to die now?
throws king krush at me... fff uuuuuu
Hunter is the class I hate facing the most. They always seem to pull out the win when you've just wrested back control.

Yoshichan

So after basically giving up on my mill druid (I won a lot at the 20-14 ranks, but then the drop rate decreased immensely), I decided to give priest another try. With this deck:

8NojfRn.jpg

And damn, it's really working good. I'm playing where my mill druid left me off and it's like I'm back in rank 20th again, that's how easy this shit feel most of the times.

So after basically giving up on my mill druid (I won a lot at the 20-14 ranks, but then the drop rate decreased immensely), I decided to give priest another try. With this deck:

8NojfRn.jpg

And damn, it's really working good. I'm playing where my mill druid left me off and it's like I'm back in rank 20th again, that's how easy this shit feel most of the times.

Strong decks have that affect.

When you're playing a mediocre deck it feels like RNG stone at times. Like you need a lot to happen and you have little room for risk taking.

But when you play a strong deck, the RNG matters a lot less and you can recover from and win even when things aren't going your way. Even when you make small mistakes or take bigger risks you can still win. And risk taking is important, imo, especially when you're in an unfavorable match up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom