• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT2| Created by Unstable Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Speaking on the earlier topic of nerfing cards, I do feel they should bump Sludge Belcher up to 6 Mana. Not only because it's (slightly) overpowered, but there's a lot of interesting 5 Drops tha are difficult to justify running because of hoe good Belcher/Healbot are. Healbot's balanced pretty well, but I really think bumping Belcher up would open up the Midgame.

Yeah, 5 drop is pretty crowded.

Speaking on the earlier topic of nerfing cards, I do feel they should bump Sludge Belcher up to 6 Mana. Not only because it's (slightly) overpowered, but there's a lot of interesting 5 Drops tha are difficult to justify running because of hoe good Belcher/Healbot are. Healbot's balanced pretty well, but I really think bumping Belcher up would open up the Midgame.

Eh - don't necessarily agree. Belcher is pretty amazing, but bumping up the mana-cost without changing anything else just makes aggro burst potential stronger (especially hunter/rogue). Control needs the wall that Sludge Belcher provides to survive an early onslaught. And there's always TBK as the counter 6-drop.

Yeah--Malygos is the one launch legendary I'm pining for.

i got maly not too long ago and ive tried like 7 different decks with it and all of them suck

i only have one ancestors call, so i havent tried that with maly, but i've lost the will to keep messing with it anyways

as far as i can tell, malygos pairs best with cheap aoe spells and spells that can target your opponent directly. so you want to cram a fair number of those into the deck.

but malygos comes into play so late that you need to control/contest the board to some degree for the whole game, which means you need a good roster of minions as well as spells that help accomplish that. but it seems like those spells that help contest board mid game don't generally pair all that well with malygos.

so yeah its a sucky situation

edit: oh yeah and somewhat paradoxically, ive found that spellpower minions suck kinda hard in the malygos decks cause they are not very good at contesting the board in the mid game

Haunted

Here's a harmless game design question: should every card you draw via spells be marked as such? Like, thoughstolen or created by mindvision, similar to how it shows created by unstable portal/webspinner/call pet?

Trump's Youtube editor is amazing.

I've looked at the twitch vod of Trump playing Hunter and it's like 5 hours long. I love Trump, but no fucking way am I watching that. :lol

Condensed into 2-3 best-of Trump Hunter half-hour chunks on Youtube? Fucking perfect.

The Adder

Banned
Hearthstone_Screenshot_2202015173504_zps9ccbfa57.png

So much fun. Just frustrated the hell out of a control Warrior with this. Added Bolvar last night. Probably going to take him out.

Took out Bolvar and an Imp Master, added two Swordsmiths.

The deck is now a Priest nightmare anytime a Hobgoblin and Sword of Justice are out.

Celegus

Took out Bolvar and an Imp Master, added two Swordsmiths.

The deck is now a Priest nightmare anytime a Hobgoblin and Sword of Justice are out.

That looks pretty fun. Really wish Silver Hand recruits worked with Hobgoblin though.

I've had some great luck pulling crappy golden epics and turning them into useful things, crafted Dr B, pulled Harrison Jones, etc... my decks are starting to get a little crowded!

dralla

I still haven't gotten a legendary and only one epic, but I haven't spent any money. I did just get a pretty solid pack for a Hunter between the tiger and highmane. I don't use Hunter all that much though. I might try it him out today for the daily challenge.

edHxTfq.png

Sblargh

Banned
I wanted me some vol'jin.

Edit: also, 3rd run ever on arena, I'm 4-0 now. :X

Edit 2: 5 - 0. T_T

Edit 3: Lost one. The dream is over.

egruntz

shelaughz
If by "situational" you mean strong in all situations, then I guess Mad Scientist is situational. The fact that the secret is random is hardly a drawback. Mad Scientist is a 2 mana 2/2 that draws a card and then plays it for FREE. Even if all it did was just draw the secret it would still be arguably stronger than loot hoarder, but then it gives you a 2/3 mana discount on TOP of that. It's insane. And once you start thinking about the card as a 2/2 that deathrattles into whatever the secret does, you realize it almost never, ever backfires and how much insane value you get..The card is legit broke.

1) Can only be used by three classes at the moment
2) A random secret is pulled from the deck, sometimes not the one you want for the situation at hand, which can cause problems
3) If it's drawn in the late game, after your secrets have already been spent, it's just a mediocre two drop.

Situational.

Doesn't need a nerf.

Dahbomb

Nah man Belcher is the only thing keeping Aggro from getting full retarded. It being 6 mana would be really bad, might as well just play Sunwalker or Senjin instead.

I do agree that the 5 drop space is crowded right now.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
1) Can only be used by three classes at the moment

Blastmage is only used in one class. Mechwarper is only used effectively in two classes, mage and shaman. Mech decks with any other class are weak.

2) A random secret is pulled from the deck, sometimes not the one you want for the situation at hand, which can cause problems

The backfire rate for secrets is extremely low. Even if you get sub-optimal value with the secret it's still overpowered. Even if you get as little value as freezing trap a 1/1 it's basically a cruel taskmaster. Think about the card as a 2 mana 2/2 with deathrattle "do whatever the secret just did". For example, on a mirror entity it could be a 2 mana 2/2 that deathrattles into a knife juggler. On a freezing trap it's a 2 mana 2/2 that effectively silences and destroyed a piloted shredder.

3) If it's drawn in the late game, after your secrets have already been spent, it's just a mediocre two drop.

The failure rate on pulling secrets is also extremely low. So low that this is an even dumber criticism than saying pre-nerf undertaker was a bad draw in the late game.

egruntz

shelaughz
Blastmage is only used in one class. Mechwarper is only used effectively in two classes, mage and shaman. Mech decks with any other class are weak.

The backfire rate for secrets is extremely low. Even if you get sub-optimal value with the secret it's still overpowered. Even if you get as little value as freezing trap a 1/1 it's basically a cruel taskmaster. Think about the card as a 2 mana 2/2 with deathrattle "do whatever the secret just did". For example, on a mirror entity it could be a 2 mana 2/2 that deathrattles into a knife juggler. On a freezing trap it's a 2 mana 2/2 that effectively silences and destroyed a piloted shredder.

The failure rate on pulling secrets is also extremely low. So low that this is an even dumber criticism than saying pre-nerf undertaker was a bad draw in the late game.

Lmao, at this point you're just arguing for the sake of arguing. Saying I'm making dumb criticisms when your only retort is "chances of that are sooooo looooow." Not that low, my man, and even if they were, it's still a downside. It's a factor of balance.

Yes, Blastmage is specific to 1 class, because it's a class card. What's your point here?

Mechwarper only being used effectively in two classes? That's definitely coming out of your ass. If you really do believe that, you're completely wrong.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Lmao, at this point you're just arguing for the sake of arguing. Saying I'm making dumb criticisms when your only retort is "chances of that are sooooo looooow." Not that low, my man, and even if they were, it's still a downside. It's a factor of balance.

Your "drawbacks" are absolutely low. At 2 mana I really don't care what secret pops out of a mad scientist. I'm getting value. I never have to think about whether or not it's a good idea to drop a mad scientist because I simply am not scared of the secret backfiring. It's like saying piloted shredder is a situational card because sometimes a doomsayer pops out and screws you over. That's almost how low the chances are.

Yes, Blastmage is specific to 1 class, because it's a class card. What's your point here?

What was your point? The number of classes that a card is used in is irrelvant to the point as to whether or not said card is overpowered. I wasn't making the statement that blastmage and mechwarper shouldn't be nerfed because they were only used in a few number of classes, if that's what you're thinking. I was turning your own argument around on yourself.

Mechwarper only being used effectively in two classes? That's definitely coming out of your ass. If you really do believe that, you're completely wrong.

Mech Shaman and Mech Mage are the only popular mech decks in the current meta. Mech decks from other classes are significantly weaker and not as competitive. I really don't see mechwarper being used in constructed outside of those two decks.

egruntz

shelaughz
Your "drawbacks" are absolutely low. At 2 mana I really don't care what secret pops out of a mad scientist. I'm getting value. I never have to think about whether or not it's a good idea to drop a mad scientist because I simply am not scared of the secret backfiring. It's like saying piloted shredder is a situational card because sometimes a doomsayer pops out and screws you over. That's almost how low the chances are.

You getting value doesn't mean a card is broken. Of course you're going to be playing cards that do something for you. The fact is that Mad Scientist is situational in three ways, which you seem to gloss over for the sake of trying to be right. It's a neutral card that only has purpose for three classes. It's only useful in the early game. It's not guaranteed to make your situation better. All minor, yes, but the card itself is minor as fuck. Small drawbacks for a small impact on the game. This card may be annoying, but it isn't broken. It's not an auto-include in every single deck, unlike Boom.

What was your point? The number of classes that a card is used in is irrelvant to the point as to whether or not said card is overpowered. I wasn't making the statement that blastmage and mechwarper shouldn't be nerfed because they were only used in a few number of classes, if that's what you're thinking. I was turning your own argument around on yourself.

What in the actual fuck? Blastmage is class-specific because it's a class-card my man. Of course that's not an argument for Blastmage's drawbacks. I never said that was. You can't compare a class card to a neutral for that argument. Mechwarper is strong in any mech-deck period. Mage, Shaman, Rogue, and Hunter all see regular use of it. The other classes less so, but when used, it is still effective. Just cause you "don't see it" doesn't mean that's not the case.

For me, I feel that secrets played via deathrattle shouldn't instantly trigger. Fire Elemental onto a Scientist shouldn't give the mage a Fire Elemental.

Taking out a Scientist shouldn't give 3/2 to another minion instantly.

Magnus

For me, I feel that secrets played via deathrattle shouldn't instantly trigger. Fire Elemental onto a Scientist shouldn't give the mage a Fire Elemental.

Taking out a Scientist shouldn't give 3/2 to another minion instantly.

Holy shit is that how the proc works right now? It immediately activates the secret the instant the secret appears? That's nuts.

Holy shit is that how the proc works right now? It immediately activates the secret the instant the secret appears? That's nuts.
If memory serves, that's how it works right now. I think Duplicate and Redemption will also trigger but I'd say those aren't as bad.

I also think you can get some crazy combo where if you have a Redemption/Avenge up, have a Scientist die, pull the other and trigger, both will go off so you have a 5/3 on the board. Might be wrong there but I could of sworn it happened to me once.

johnsmith

remember me
The number of times I've gotten screwed by mct in arena. I hate no card more than that one. Just fucked me over in what should have been an easy game, and I play around it! But he freaking popped my haunted creeper, and of course it takes my 6/6 instead of a 1/1. It needs to be reworked so it can only take the minion with the lowest overall stats, because the way it is now is just bullshit.

If I ever see Ben Brode in person I'm going to kick him in the nuts.

Szadek

For some reason I only have a high winrate right after I made a new build.
It's really weird.
I should probably keep changing decks whenever I start losing several games in a row.

If memory serves, that's how it works right now. I think Duplicate and Redemption will also trigger but I'd say those aren't as bad.

I also think you can get some crazy combo where if you have a Redemption/Avenge up, have a Scientist die, pull the other and trigger, both will go off so you have a 5/3 on the board. Might be wrong there but I could of sworn it happened to me once.

Secrets activating while being summoned into the game by mad scientist is confirmed to be a bug.

I am pretty sure redemption doesn't trigger when mad scientist dies by a minion running into him, but it does when you kill it with a battlecry.

A secret that is fetched by Mad Scientist can trigger if the Mad Scientist is killed by a minion’s come into play effect.

http://us.battle.net/hearthstone/en/forum/topic/9677847863

I'm having some of the most ridiculous matches in arena today.

Obliterated this warlock.

Turn 3 - double mechwarper
Turn 4 - double mechanical yeti
turn 5 - 4/2 2 damage guy
turn 6 - tinker's oil

Dahbomb

Oh look at that... both players are playing Mech (Shaman and Mage).

With Dr Booms of course because it's a fair and balanced card.

cackhyena

I just never seem to have a problem with Boom. There's maybe been one or two matches where he helped get the win late for an opponent. Maybe I've just been lucky so far, idk. I always seem to have an answer ready. That said, I wouldn't be mad at the game if it decided to give me Dr. Boom...

Pooya

same, he never was the reason for me to lose a game. something like Antonidas is far more threatening, usually you can't do anything when your opponents has 4+ fireballs...

Sblargh

Banned
I just never seem to have a problem with Boom. There's maybe been one or two matches where he helped get the win late for an opponent. Maybe I've just been lucky so far, idk. I always seem to have an answer ready. That said, I wouldn't be mad at the game if it decided to give me Dr. Boom...

I think it's rare for dr. boom to actually beat me, but it sure as hell make me sacrifice way too much resources to deal with it.

I think it's rare for dr. boom to actually beat me, but it sure as hell make me sacrifice way too much resources to deal with it.

Well the whole point of boom is to get massive value. It is after all one of the highest value minions in the game. It isn't really a finisher except in some aggro decks that attempt to squeeze a lot of inefficient trades off you like mech mage or hunter.

On the point about him being a high value minion, he definitely wins games and the way he does it is by exactly as you pointed out - sacrificing too much resources to deal with it. If you're spending 1-2 cards just to clear the main body, and 1 boom bot trades with a minion on board, the card is already going 1 for 3, not even counting the other boom bot.

I think dr. boom should be nerfed, but by reducing his main body hp to like 5. This way it makes BGH much less necessary to come to even grounds with the card.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
I just got a golden legendary but it's a Blingtron 3000. Tempted to dust it but I like having golden cards. Is it used in any useful decks?

Tacitus_

Well the whole point of boom is to get massive value. It is after all one of the highest value minions in the game. It isn't really a finisher except in some aggro decks that attempt to squeeze a lot of inefficient trades off you like mech mage or hunter.

On the point about him being a high value minion, he definitely wins games and the way he does it is by exactly as you pointed out - sacrificing too much resources to deal with it. If you're spending 1-2 cards just to clear the main body, and 1 boom bot trades with a minion on board, the card is already going 1 for 3, not even counting the other boom bot.

I think dr. boom should be nerfed, but by reducing his main body hp to like 5. This way it makes BGH much less necessary to come to even grounds with the card.

IMO the boombots is where the nerf should go. Some suggestions I've seen is making them 0/1 so you can somewhat play around the deathrattle (bonus: makes the "bots may explode" text actually mean something) or make them capable of hitting any target like the mad & madder bomber(er).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom