• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT2| Created by Unstable Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xanathus

Holy shit Savjz got a starting hand with Druid in the ESL tourney with double Wild Growth, AND double Innervate, and then drew Ancient of Lore. He then saved a screenshot to desktop 4Head.

Tacitus_

?????

5/4 is already above average stats for a 4 mana card.
Then you have his utterly retarded battelcry.

5/4 is the base statline for a 4 mana card (see yeti, which has it mirrored). The conditional battlecry is a slightly buffed arcane missiles, a 1 mana spell. It's completely in line with class cards being slightly stronger than neutrals.

egruntz

shelaughz
5/4 is the average statline for a 4 mana card (see yeti, which has it mirrored). The conditional battlecry is a slightly buffed arcane missiles, a 1 mana spell. It's completely in line with class cards being slightly stronger than neutrals.

Hold up. Yeti isn't the comparison for what is average. There is a reason that people always go for yetis in arena, and why he's universally considered a good card: his stats. Better distribution than Blastmage, but 4/5 or 5/4 aren't exactly the norm for 4 mana cards. I could just as easily pick a 4 mana card that is 4/3, and those stats are usually that way due to powerful card text, ala battlecry. What is considered average, generally, is 1 mana for 1/1, 2 mana for 2/2, 3 mana for 3/3, etcetera, usually with card text or effects to bump it slightly above or below that value.

Next, 4 arcane missiles is huge. As you pointed out, it's already above 1 mana value.
So we have a 4 mana 5/4 that does 4 upon entry. Should at least be 5 mana, and that turn delay is actually a really huge difference.

Tacitus_

The 2x mana cost + 1 is the baseline for stats, with +/- depending on card text - and with leeway for class cards, like how druid gets a 3/2 or 2/3 taunt for 2 mana while the neutral equivalent is 2/2.

cackhyena

?????

5/4 is already above average stats for a 4 mana card.
Then you have his utterly retarded battelcry.

Him having 4 health, he's fairly easy to discard. The blasts are a bitch, yeah, but I'd still rather have him as he is and Mech Warper upped in mana if I had the choice. Anyone who plays mechs uses Warper. Not everyone who plays mechs uses Blastmage. He's just less of an issue for me. *shrug*

Yeah, while a bit more vanilla now with all the new additions, Yeti is slightly overbudget/above average. Blast Mage is fucking insane, since it'll do devastating damage to what's already on the board and trade up with every 5 drop in the game, especially with hero power as backup.

egruntz

shelaughz
Yeah, while a bit more vanilla now with all the new additions, Yeti is slightly overbudget/above average. Blast Mage is fucking insane, since it'll do devastating damage to what's already on the board and trade up with every 5 drop in the game, especially with hero power as backup.

What's more is that comparing it to Arcane Missiles actually indicates how retarded it is. Spell cards are supposed to be more powerful, because they're one-offs. And Blastmage's battlecry is stronger still.

johnsmith

remember me
Fair and balanced.

nhqniyV.png

What's more is that comparing it to Arcane Missiles actually indicates how retarded it is. Spell cards are supposed to be more powerful, because they're one-offs. And Blastmage's battlecry is stronger still.

I'm not sure if they should ever balanced new cards around old weak ones. That means they'd just add a new weak/mediocre/barely played card to the game and that card won't impact the game much at all.

As for blastmage's strength in particular, I think its fair to say that his requirement of having a mech on board isn't exactly the hardest to accomplish but it isn't exactly the easiest either. I'm undecided on whether blastmage is too strong or not though. In a sense it is a winmore card quite often but also a has some swing potential under the right circumstances. Usually when I am able to strand a blastmage in the opponents hand or force them to play it off curve or without the battlecry, the match is easily won.

Weifu pretty big misplay not stealing the Ice Block vs. Chakki. Coulda popped the barrier with hero power and guaranteed the steal. Almost certainly would've won the game.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
I feel dirty whenever I play my fatigue mage deck. I want to apologize whenever I win, it's such cheese.

Pooya

I have mirror entity up
warrior drops Sylvanas...
next turn he uses brawl... his Sylvanas survives.... lmao double unlucky. I was so sorry for him. I only lost 2 snowchuggers and some rubbish from portal :b

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Just curious, is this anyone else's first card game, digital or otherwise? It's mine, I've never had interest in others, whatsoever. It's that Blizzard Special Sauce(tm), I guess. I'm a huge Diablo fan as well.

Tl; dr -- Never heard your guys opinion on Leeroy Jenkins. I got a Golden, I know he used to be considered one of the best. Trying to decide whether to junk him for another Legendary. I play mainly Hunter and Druid, also starting to get into warrior.

johnsmith

remember me
Tl; dr -- Never heard your guys opinion on Leeroy Jenkins. I got a Golden, I know he used to be considered one of the best. Trying to decide whether to junk him for another Legendary. I play mainly Hunter and Druid, also starting to get into warrior.

If you're playing hunter he's still used in face hunter. I'd probably dust him for dr boom though if you don't have him.

Slashlen

Just curious, is this anyone else's first card game, digital or otherwise? It's mine, I've never had interest in others, whatsoever. It's that Blizzard Special Sauce(tm), I guess. I'm a huge Diablo fan as well.

It's my first digital one, and the first I've ever stuck with. I ran into problems finding good opponents with physical ones as I was growing up. I also eventually soured on the money required to stick with them. Got into HS because I can actually play and progress for free, and it's popular/successful enough that I can find opponents and not worry about it evaporating in the next 6 months.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
If you're playing hunter he's still used in face hunter. I'd probably dust him for dr boom though if you don't have him.
I do have Boom. Here's what I have --

BOOM
Ragnaros
Harrison Jones
Sylvanas
Leeroy (Golden)
Juraxxis
Alexstrazsa

Considering dusting Leeroy for something, but not sure what. Black Knight? I just have a bunch of 5-6 range cards in most of my decks.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Him having 4 health, he's fairly easy to discard. The blasts are a bitch, yeah, but I'd still rather have him as he is and Mech Warper upped in mana if I had the choice. Anyone who plays mechs uses Warper. Not everyone who plays mechs uses Blastmage. He's just less of an issue for me. *shrug*

Who are these people playing mech mage without Blastmage? I highly doubt decks like that exist at any high level of play.

4 health for 4 mana isn't exactly low considering 5 health is basically the max for 4 mana cards.

Sure, high attack/low health cards attack up into him but that same principle applies to him and his ability to trade up too. Since his attack is 5, that also means basically no 4 mana card can survive a trade against him without a buff, and he can trade up against higher mana minions like Lord of the Arena.

His activator solely relies on mech decks, so he would die if mech dies, but there is no doubt that card is very, very good, and no mech mage should ever go without it. It's good enough that you could almost say no mech player should go without him, which is why most mech players are mages.

EDIT: To clarify, I think mechwarpers need to be looked at first, because like Undertaker it's no fun to have instant losses from a lucky opening hand. We'll see how much harder that makes it to activate Blastmage after that.

Tacitus_

I do have Boom. Here's what I have --

BOOM
Ragnaros
Harrison Jones
Sylvanas
Leeroy (Golden)
Juraxxis
Alexstrazsa

Considering dusting Leeroy for something, but not sure what. Black Knight? I just have a bunch of 5-6 range cards in most of my decks.

The Black Knight, Sneeds or a class legendary would be my choices.

cackhyena

Who are these people playing mech mage without Blastmage? I highly doubt decks like that exist at any high level of play.

4 health for 4 mana isn't exactly low considering 5 health is basically the max for 4 mana cards.

Sure, high attack/low health cards attack up into him but that same principle applies to him and his ability to trade up too. Since his attack is 5, that also means basically no 4 mana card can survive a trade against him without a buff, and he can trade up against higher mana minions like Lord of the Arena.

His activator solely relies on mech decks, so he would die if mech dies, but there is no doubt that card is very, very good, and no mech mage should ever go without it. It's good enough that you could almost say no mech player should go without him, which is why most mech players are mages.

EDIT: To clarify, I think mechwarpers need to be looked at first, because like Undertaker it's no fun to have instant losses from a lucky opening hand. We'll see how much harder that makes it to activate Blastmage after that.
Considering the highest I've ranked is 13 so far, I'm sure I can't speak to what Mech Mages are using at higher levels. I was talking about any of the mech classes I've seen do their thing. Not just Mage. Maybe enough of them haven't had the chance or draw to use Blastmage if they did have it, idk. All I know is of the decks I come across, Mage or not, running a lot of mechs, Warper is always a part of the equation. Blastmage, not as much. I'm not saying I'm against a nerf for him, I'm just more for Warper getting an extra mana tacked on. It's just so brutal early game with the right draw. Rushdown is nuts right now.

Considering the highest I've ranked is 13 so far, I'm sure I can't speak to what Mech Mages are using at higher levels. I was talking about any of the mech classes I've seen do their thing. Not just Mage. Maybe enough of them haven't had the chance or draw to use Blastmage if they did have it, idk. All I know is of the decks I come across, Mage or not, running a lot of mechs, Warper is always a part of the equation. Blastmage, not as much. I'm not saying I'm against a nerf for him, I'm just more for Warper getting an extra mana tacked on. It's just so brutal early game with the right draw. Rushdown is nuts right now.

Blastmage is a mage class card, that's why you haven't seen it in other classes.

yeah its my first card game too. i got into it around the first of this year. never played any other blizzard game either. i really like hearthstone and see myself playing it for a while

tylerf

Was thinking about crafting the necessary cards for Handlock when I pulled a golden Mountain Giant and two Shadowflames in a pack. I think the game is speaking to me.

Was thinking about crafting the necessary cards for Handlock when I pulled a golden Mountain Giant and two Shadowflames in a pack. I think the game is speaking to me.

Seems like most of the handlock decks aren't being played anymore and its demonlock now for the most part since it is quite strong vs a number of aggressive decks.

And people said demonlock wasn't gonna be a thing heheh

tylerf

Seems like most of the handlock decks aren't being played anymore and its demonlock now for the most part since it is quite strong vs a number of aggressive decks.

And people said demonlock wasn't gonna be a thing heheh

Yeah I know it's a little weak at the moment. I'm just short on dust to make many other decks since I'm missing a lot of class legendaries. Already having Jaraxxus makes it way cheaper.

Celegus

Yep my first as well, but fell in love with it pretty much instantly during the open beta. I collected Pokemon cards as a kid, but never really played the actual game.

kek

The demonlock decks run like ~6 demons >_>
If it wasn't based on voidcaller people would just call it a warlock deck.

Mistress of pain
voidcaller
malganis
jaraxxus
implosion
demonheart
doomguard

These are the demon based cards that silentstorm is running, and typically included in demonlock decks.

I think he is also running voidcaller, which is atypical but has shown itself to be very strong with malganis.

Tacitus_

Mistress of pain
voidcaller
malganis
jaraxxus
implosion
demonheart
doomguard

These are the demon based cards that silentstorm is running, and typically included in demonlock decks.

I think he is also running voidcaller, which is atypical but has shown itself to be very strong with malganis.

Yeah, he's running those, but I've seen lists called demonlock when they've only had malganis, jaraxxus and voidcallers.

The Adder

Banned
So the current version of my Small Packages deck is doing an insane amount of work. The only thing I've lost to so far is fatigue mage. Can't wait until the march season. Gonna try to take it to legend.

Hearthstone_Screenshot_2212015204610_zps320156f6.png

Also, holy shit guys, I've built a deck that may be good that Dr. Boom would actually make worse

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
So the current version of my Small Packages deck is doing an insane amount of work. The only thing I've lost to so far is fatigue mage. Can't wait until the march season. Gonna try to take it to legend.

Interesting deck. Might steal that one myself for a go at it.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"

How high have you gotten it this season? I look at this deck and feel like that if you don't draw hobgoblin you lose. =/

I'm not a fan of Paladin aggro. And two Lay on Hands seems like an odd choice, don't think it really synergizes with the rest of the deck. And I'm not sure how two micro machines and only one Shielded Minibot makes sense.

Just some of my concerns.

The Adder

Banned
How high have you gotten it this season? I look at this deck and feel like that if you don't draw hobgoblin you lose. =/

I only built it a couple of days ago, so not far yet. Started using it on at 2 star 18 and am currently at 1 star 15, no losses. So not many games in ranked yet. Mostly been in casual, where I ate that loss vs fatigue mage.

The deck doesn't need Hobgoblin to win, although Hobgoblin makes things snowball out of control. As long as you're drawing Coghammers, Argent Protectors, and Aldor Peacekeepers in order to control the board, you're good.

The strong points of the deck are its ability to bait and shrug off board wipes, keep gas in the tank, and control the board.

Its biggest weakness is that it doesn't like direct trades. You'd rather spread damage out among your minions while keeping them all alive than to sacrifice one or two to leave the rest undamaged.

Which seems weird, given how much I say it likes eating board wipes, but that's because a board wipe takes up a big chunk of your opponent's turn. They aren't going to be able to do much else. But this deck can rebuild its board in a turn.

Losing a good minion, however, weakens your ability to control the board and does little or nothing to slow your opponent.

I'm not a fan of Paladin aggro. And two Lay on Hands seems like an odd choice, don't think it really synergizes with the rest of the deck. And I'm not sure how two micro machines and only one Shielded Minibot makes sense.

It looks aggro, but it plays like control. The Lay on Hands serve 2 purposes.

1. You're going to be taking damage using the Coghammers.

2. 3 card draw keeps gas in the tank.

Hobgoblin procs off Micro Machines, but not Shielded Minibots.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"

The curve feels weird too. It's an aggro deck that has only two 1 drops. I could try to bust holes through the deck all day but if he's getting results than he's getting results. That's why I'm interested in how high he's gotten it so far.

I only built it a couple of days ago, so not far yet. Started using it on at 2 star 18 and am currently at 1 star 15, no losses. So not many games in ranked yet. Mostly been in casual, where I ate that loss vs fatigue mage.

The deck doesn't need Hobgoblin to win, although Hobgoblin makes things snowball out of control. As long as you're drawing Coghammers, Argent Protectors, and Aldor Peacekeepers in order to control the board, you're good.

Edit: Oh. Well, don't dream too high, man. I have severe doubts about this deck's ability to make it to legend. I feel like I see a lot of weak cards that you've put in just because of hobgoblin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom