• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT2| Created by Unstable Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Control Warrior just takes experience to play. You usually want to mulligan for an axe, and keep low cost cards like Armorsmiths. Against the mech mage don't be afraid to use removal on their Snowchugger to keep your weapon from being locked up. Armor up as often as possible.

A mech mage with a perfect opener is just hard to beat.
Thanks. Appreciate the advice.

3d1wrOz.jpg

This is more or less the cookie cutter control deck. Alex would be in there but I don't have her! :(

That said there's not much you can do against mech mage especially if they get a good opening hand.

Nice deck! Very similar to what I run, except I have Alex in there, no Big Game Hunter or silence, and two armorsmiths. Jury's still out on those ;)

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Any badass warrior players here care to share their decks? I've found and used a few, but they seem to have seriously bad matchups to Mech Mage, Druid, etc. I have good cards but seem to be stuck around rank 14. I have pretty much all the essential warrior and general cards, SO I'm open to suggestion. :)

Druid is going to be a tough matchup. Your weapons don't extend far enough for most of what they put out and cards like Spectral Knight really screw with your removal staples like Shield Slam and Execute.

do you guys avoid playing a specific deck archetype if you don't have the legend card available or if you do play it, how do you go about substituting legendary cards. I see a bunch of decks that have Dr. Boom as core or Sylvanas or Rag...but I just don't have any of these cards in my set.

It is tough as nothing perfectly can replace those big minions. I used to run Boulderfist Ogres in my deck when I didn't have any good legendaries. Might be the best possible substitute.

Faceless Manipulator used to be pretty popular, especially if you're missing some legendaries. Can be an okay substitute.

But really, most legendaries are fairly unique and can't be substituted well. If you're missing too many, but still want to rank up, it's probably best to play a cheap aggro deck. It really depends on what you have and what the substitution question is.

I have nearly all "core" legendaries now, but I'm still missing a few useful more specific ones, as well as a several somewhat key epics and GvG rares for certain decks. Can play most anything competitive though.

Cat Party

do you guys avoid playing a specific deck archetype if you don't have the legend card available or if you do play it, how do you go about substituting legendary cards. I see a bunch of decks that have Dr. Boom as core or Sylvanas or Rag...but I just don't have any of these cards in my set.
You and me both. Just put in another similar cost card and go forth. Most games are won or lost before Dr Boom or Rag is out anyway.

ZealousD

Faceless Manipulator used to be pretty popular, especially if you're missing some legendaries. Can be an okay substitute.

I think Faceless was probably more useful back when more people ran Ragnaros. You could Faceless an opponent's Rag and then kill it with BGH. Pretty powerful combo there.

Really is a bad class legendary. Tirion is pretty great so can't feel too bad, but there's too many ways to make Bolvar useless.

8/7 for 5 is pretty good. No downside like fel reaver. edit: Well I mean the downside built into the text. Obviously silence hurts it pretty hard. But thats the life of a buff card.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
You and me both. Just put in another similar cost card and go forth. Most games are won or lost before Dr Boom or Rag is out anyway.
Hmm, you think so? I've had Dr. BOOM clear a board for me many times. I think it's one of the few that can really help turn the tide. I've thought I've had opponents dead the next turn, they pop Boom, and it changes everything.

EmiPrime

Really is a bad class legendary. Tirion is pretty great so can't feel too bad, but there's too many ways to make Bolvar useless.

Not true, he has great synergy with Muster and the hero power. He's great to play on turn 4/5, he doesn't have to be massively buffed to earn his keep (6/7 just outside BGH range is perfect). If someone wants to waste their silence on him instead of on Tirion they are welcome to.

More importantly, he's just really fun to play! Worth it just for his intro.

tylerf

Does Bolvar actually have a place in a good deck? I just got him in a pack and if I wanted to play some Paladin it would be a decent investment since I'd have to craft a Tirion.

ZealousD

Does Bolvar actually have a place in a good deck? I just got him in a pack and if I wanted to play some Paladin it would be a decent investment since I'd have to craft a Tirion.

I think he's a better card than people gave him credit for, but he's rather hard to fit in a deck right now. I think he works best in a control Paladin deck, but midrange Paladin is just a lot better in the current meta.

Sblargh

Banned
The good thing about running a deck without legendaries is that when a priest thoughtsteal you, you know the best he will get is the crap you got.

Anti-priest tech: have awful cards.

The good thing about running a deck without legendaries is that when a priest thoughtsteal you, you know the best he will get is the crap you got.

Anti-priest tech: have awful cards.

I wish that were the case. I find eviscerate and si7 agent steals to be particularly obnoxious because they generally have excess mana and now more removal than threats I can put out.

Back to rank 3 one star in, but done for the night. You really have to be on top of the meta and adapt which deck you're playing at higher ranks to succeed though. Changes at least every couple days based on what top streamers/pros play. So you play rock when everyone else is scissors. Had to pick the right deck even if I don't necessarily enjoy it as much as others to win to go on a 5-7 win streak (there were some fun close games in there). Was playing on iPad so no stat tracking though.

Didn't see any demon lock thankfully.

Getting close here, but the struggle to legend continues tomorrow.

Pooya

New content better include a new class, yeah it's pretty stale these days. New cards alone isn't good enough for changing the current state that much.

Izanagi

Neo Member
Kind of a noob question, but does anyone waste/invest dust in common cards?

I started playing in mid-December, and even though I'm not completely a f2p player, I only bought Naxxramas and a few keys to the Arena with real cash. I would like to keep it that way, but I'm struggling with my own luck, since I'm missing stuff like 1x Mechwarper,1x Annoy-a-tron, 2x Acolyte of Pain or class-specific stuff like 2x Unleash the Hounds or 2x Scavenging Hyena.

I know that eventually I'll most likely get them, but meanwhile in some cases I feel it's hard to compensate their absence.

So the meta seems to be mage + hunter almost exclusively. Might need to tech in some kezan mystics.

Had a hunter instantly concede after I Kezaned a secret earlier tonight. Didn't even get to see what it was.

I only run one in my decks, so it's almost always a keep vs. hunter or mage, particularly going second. And in matches where there are no secrets it's not a terrible body. Pulling off a steal nearly always guarantees the game though. Destroys freeze mage, and I wrecked an echo/value mage with it as well.

Kind of a noob question, but does anyone waste/invest dust in common cards?

I started playing in mid-December, and even though I'm not completely a f2p player, I only bought Naxxramas and a few keys to the Arena with real cash. I would like to keep it that way, but I'm struggling with my own luck, since I'm missing stuff like 1x Mechwarper,1x Annoy-a-tron, 2x Acolyte of Pain or class-specific stuff like 2x Unleash the Hounds or 2x Scavenging Hyena.

I know that eventually I'll most likely get them, but meanwhile in some cases I feel it's hard to compensate their absence.

Not really worth it to craft commons, no. Think I've only done it very rarely. You're way behind on time in terms of grind for F2P, so you either deal with it or suck it up and buy some packs to fill gaps. Hearthstone isn't very friendly to newcomers in that way, contrasted with people like me that have been playing since beta (as well as having dropped a decent, but not exorbitant amount of cash).

You'll honestly probably have more fun with the options you'd get from buying 40 packs or whatever, but I can understand wanting to be completely free to play, particularly if you're not that invested.

Dragner

New content better include a new class, yeah it's pretty stale these days. New cards alone isn't good enough for changing the current state that much.

New class shoud be soon. Because they need to add all the basics + all cards from classic + naxx + gvg to balance it to the existing ones...and cant do a expansion set with only cards for the new class.

Im expecting ICC adventure with death knight class this year. Continuing WoW development.

iirate

I don't really expect the game to ever get much more diverse than it is ATM. There are a ton of viable decks, and although a couple of classes need a boost right now(shaman and priest), it's hard to believe that'll ever not be the state of the meta.

johnsmith

remember me
Oil rogue sucks in this meta. It has no good way of dealing with dr boom, and everybody is running loatheb. At least half of my losses are due to one of those 2 cards. Everybody is still running sticky minions. I don't know why I thought this deck was good. Stalling out hard at rank 10. It's garbage compared to the classic miracle rogue.

CRS

Oil rogue sucks in this meta. It has no good way of dealing with dr boom, and everybody is running loatheb. At least half of my losses are due to one of those 2 cards. Everybody is still running sticky minions. I don't know why I thought this deck was good. Stalling out hard at rank 10. It's garbage compared to the classic miracle rogue.

A backstab plus Eviscerate with +1 Spell Damage can easily take care of Boom. You would definitely have the mana to play everything necessary for it it too since it would be mainly be available by turn 6/7 (sometimes 7).

And if you think you can take care of Boom or have lethal next turn, you can Sap it as a last resort even though it's a shitty last resort.

Hafu just reached legend with it. But it's definitely not a deck I would typically ladder with. Can be very sketchy at times with the draws and it's more taxing to play than a typical deck. Even if you're favored, every game seems like an uphill battle almost. Not to mention some very bad matchups like warrior where you almost may as well concede as soon as the game loads.

Dragner

Hafu just reached legend with it. But it's definitely not a deck I would typically ladder with. Can be very sketchy at times with the draws and it's more taxing to play than a typical deck. Even if you're favored, every game seems like an uphill battle almost. Not to mention some very bad matchups like warrior where you almost may as well concede as soon as the game loads.

yeah, my few wins with oil vs warrior came from an uncontested violet teacher, I think is the only wat of keeping them out of armor. Dr. Boom in the other hand, is not that menacing, the boom bots can be blanked by violet teacher and the minion can be saped or eviscerated with spellpower easily. Loatheb is the real deal, if they develop something their board and drop loatheb you are stone dead.

The deck is really strong, but yeah, really hard to pull out wins when the opponent offers resistance with taunts and heals, it has a lot of free wins but you can also die easily if you dont see you sprints/gadgetan.

I use it once is a while for laddering but nowadays is just for quests.

johnsmith

remember me
A backstab plus Eviscerate with +1 Spell Damage can easily take care of Boom. You would definitely have the mana to play everything necessary for it it too since it would be mainly be available by turn 6/7 (sometimes 7).

And if you think you can take care of Boom or have lethal next turn, you can Sap it as a last resort even though it's a shitty last resort.

That's a 3 card combo required to take care of him, and that doesn't even take care of the bombs.You probably already used your backstabs early game any way against any number of things.

I mean yes, you have the tools to potentially take care of anything, but hunters and mages are dropping threats every single turn, while you're reacting and hoping you have the right answers. It's completely reactive, like priest, another crappy deck.

I have Bolvar in my Muster+Quartermaster combo deck and always use it on turn 10 (or later) with Loatheb. It's been pretty much instawin if your opponent doesn't have any minions on board.

CRS

That's a 3 card combo required to take care of him, and that doesn't even take care of the bombs.You probably already used your backstabs early game any way against any number of things.

I mean yes, you have the tools to potentially take care of anything, but hunters and mages are dropping threats every single turn, while you're reacting and hoping you have the right answers. It's completely reactive, like priest, another crappy deck.

Yeah, against the highly aggro ladder, you'll most likely end up playing defensive for most of the match unless your opponent gets a shitty mulligan.

But the way I see it, you're just buying enough time to get your lethal combo (anywhere from ~14 to 20s.) Disclaimer: I've never played Priest and the early iterations of the tinkeroil deck has been my introduction to Rogues.

The biggest gripe I have so far with the deck is the draw and it's dependency for a Prep + Sprint or sometimes just a Sprint. Second disclaimer: The only card I don't have from the deck is a Bloodmage but I am playing with everything else.

which version are you running? there are a lot of flex spots outside of the draw engine shell that you have to tweak for the meta.

embalm

So the meta seems to be mage + hunter almost exclusively. Might need to tech in some kezan mystics.
Holy crap was this true for me last night. I played against 15 hunters and mages and maybe 3 oil rogues. I teched in 2 Kezan Mystics into a Control Warrior (dropped BGH & Whirlwind) and it did pretty well, but I lost a few before making the change.

Where did this new Secret Mage come from? I played against it like 4 times last night and it's super annoying. They play Mirror Entity, Counterspell, Duplicate, on other secret, and all the Secret enabling cards. I was doing great playing around the secrets, but they put up so many followed by a Dr. Boom on turn 7. There is no way to even try to answer a threat like that when secrets are going to block your plays. They were very frustrating games.

I honestly think the game is in the best state it's ever been in. Pre-Nax you knew exactly what you were going up against as soon as you saw the class because there were so few decks out there. Heck one of the big advantages of Warlock was not knowing if it was zoo or handlock. Now a lot more classes have alternative decks that have opened things back up.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Honestly I find Warlock one of the easier classes to play around. Assume its Zoo with the Mulligan, which tends to be a bit slower then Hunter Zoo, and with most competent decks you should be fine vs both Handlock and Demonlock (Personally Demonlock will always be a bit weak, since one of its linchpins is a easy BGH target that is pretty easy to deal with.

I actually find rouge decks to be one of the harder things to play around, since its a bit unpredictable what they will throw at you. Unless you are Warrior, then you basically just win.

embalm

I agree, you always Mulligan for the faster version of the class you're playing against. I just meant that you didn't even need to think about that with other classes. I'm just glad to see different stuff. The meta will always get stuck in a rut at times, but things are far more open now.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I agree, you always Mulligan for the faster version of the class you're playing against. I just meant that you didn't even need to think about that with other classes. I'm just glad to see different stuff. The meta will always get stuck in a rut at times, but things are far more open now.

I still feel like 90% of people are just running FotD netdecks, and the 10% that aren't are running something where you can understand the game plan quickly.

I think the only deck that legitimately caught me off guard this month was a Mill Rouge Deck. Even the occasional pirate deck is easy to read.

0-4sen.

Forsen just missed lethal the Pinnacle 3 and was punished losing the next turn. To be fair, silencing your own Ragnaros is a play that's easy to forget is possible.

cackhyena

0-4sen.

Forsen just missed lethal the Pinnacle 3 and was punished losing the next turn. To be fair, silencing your own Ragnaros is a play that's easy to forget is possible.
I couldn't believe that drop of the ball. I'm terrible at this game, but I thought that was a given choice before even even started the turn, seeing what he had.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
This draft was pretty funny. 2 spells, I didn't see a single frostbolt, fireball, flamestrike, blizzard, flamecannon, pyroblast.

6dL5TGQ.jpg

nFR3Juy.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom