• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT2| Created by Unstable Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmmm, I kinda feel like playing a low dust deck on EU tonight. The only question is... do I go for hunter or for paladin. I guess hunter would be more competitive but paladin could be quite nice as well. Maybe I'll do hunter cause I have been playing paladin quite a lot on NA, and I do have 2x highmane already and can go for a midrange hunter deck.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Played against my first fatigue build. What a lame way to play this game. Seriously, you need to have a mental deficiency enjoying games that last 30 minutes so you can slither to a win. Just so, so lame. And yes, i did lose, but only because early on, he activated a bunch of draw cards and the only one I actually lost was Grommash. other wise he would've been dead turn 8. Real gross.

Slashlen

I'm actually not all that enthusiastic about a new adventure right now. Naxx felt like too little for that amount of gold, and the game feels like it's in really good spot right now. I wonder if I should just start saving slowly now to avoid 6-8 weeks of no packs/arena. I can't really avoid it as they'll include the next OP-and-needs-a-nerf card in it. Right now it just feels like a gold sink.

I'd rather hear about a proper phone version, as I'd like to be able to start playing this at work during my lunch hour.

Golgo 13

I'm actually not all that enthusiastic about a new adventure right now. Naxx felt like too little for that amount of gold, and the game feels like it's in really good spot right now. I wonder if I should just start saving slowly now to avoid 6-8 weeks of no packs/arena. I can't really avoid it as they'll include the next OP-and-needs-a-nerf card in it. Right now it just feels like a gold sink.

I'd rather hear about a proper phone version, as I'd like to be able to start playing this at work during my lunch hour.
Aren't there work arounds for playing on phones? Nor is it just too glitchy?

Slashlen

Aren't there work arounds for playing on phones? Nor is it just too glitchy?

There are, but you have to download new .apks for each update and my phone's not that beefy(HTC Desire). I haven't tried it because I'm pretty sure it couldn't handle something built for a 6in screen.

Dahbomb

Hmmm, I kinda feel like playing a low dust deck on EU tonight. The only question is... do I go for hunter or for paladin. I guess hunter would be more competitive but paladin could be quite nice as well. Maybe I'll do hunter cause I have been playing paladin quite a lot on NA, and I do have 2x highmane already and can go for a midrange hunter deck.
The only Legendary you need for Mid Range Hunter is Dr Balanced. Otherwise you just need Loatheb and all the usual crap for Hunters (2x Mad Scientist, 2x Freeze Trap, 2x Jugglers, 2x Belchers, 2x Kill Commands, 2x Eaglehorn, 2x Animal Companion, 2x Haunted Creeper, 2x Web Spinner, 2x Highmane, Owl, 1x Hunter's Mark, 2x Unleashed Hounds).

In the current meta you also probably want one Flare in there because there are lots of Mages and Hunters running around. Either Flare or Kezan Mystic.

About the new Adventure mode expansion... all I want is some reward for beating the heroes on Heroic. I beat all of the heroes on Heroic and got diddly squat for it.

I decided to go with paladin anyway. Seems more compelling of a budget deck:

palbudget.png

Based off the all basic deck I ran in December but updated with about 4 common gvg cards and 2 rares, plus 1 rare from the classic set.

edit:
Already noticed I made a mistake so when I fix it it will be:
-2chillwind yeti
+2 blessing of kings

edit fixed and swapped some:
updatedpalbudget.png

Speaking of Dr. Boom, a surprisingly number of people play it when they're facing possible lethal.

I mean, I don't know what your other 4 cards are, but I'm sure they are better able to defend your face. I guess 90% of the time it's the best card to play when you have enough mana to play it.

Speaking of Dr. Boom, a surprisingly number of people play it when they're facing possible lethal.

I mean, I don't know what your other 4 cards are, but I'm sure they are better able to defend your face. I guess 90% of the time it's the best card to play when you have enough mana to play it.

That probably means they think their best chance to win is by taking a big risk by solely establishing board. You can't always play around what your opponent might do to beat you this turn, because you will likely find yourself in the same position next turn.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"

Dr. Boom can be a board clear. Sometimes a taunt or a healbot is more of a "die slower" card if they don't cleanly answer the board, so they take a chance that you don't have the damage in your hand. Taking a risk on a powerhouse play sometimes gives you a better chance of winning than being super-super safe. It's the difference between trying to catch up to your opponent and taking a risk to make a big swing.

Wow, almost lost my first game at rank 18 cause a mage UP'd an alakir lol... I still ended up winning by a large margin though.

This deck must be the best deck ever. I am 9-0, 100% win rate!
Kappa

update:
Almost got scared about a divine spirit looking priest deck, but he ended up rage quiting for some reason lol

Brofist

Just had some Mage arena shenanigans involving a Toshley from an Unstable Portal and a couple duplicate secrets. Ended up playing 5 Toshleys in total.

Brofist

Played against my first fatigue build. What a lame way to play this game. Seriously, you need to have a mental deficiency enjoying games that last 30 minutes so you can slither to a win. Just so, so lame. And yes, i did lose, but only because early on, he activated a bunch of draw cards and the only one I actually lost was Grommash. other wise he would've been dead turn 8. Real gross.

Fatigue decks are a tough matchup for control Warriors, assuming you are running the one that everyone runs. Other decks matchup better against fatigue.

To me playing a 20 minute match against a Warrior deck that is just one legendary after another plopped on the board is no more fun tbh.

I dunno wtf this control warrior whacko deck was thinking. He played iron juggernaut and then bounced it. Later he played it again and bounced it. It easily cost him the game. So far 11-0 rank 15 full stars.

I was gonna go til I got 3 losses, but this is taking way longer than expected.

edit:
First loss to some douche with double ice lance in his crappy burn mage deck.

edit2:
Holy fuck that last match was hilarious. I got a light well off shredder, then buffed it with blessing of kings... and for some reason the mage just refused to trade into it. It healed for the rest of the game, got buffed by ssc as well. While his pilotted shredder kept going for face, it kept healing me effectively reducing his damage output to 1 damage per turn. Then several turns later got a guardian of kings so basically this guy absolutely screwed himself.

Sometimes when people say aggro/face players are just bad at the game it isn't true... but this guy... takes that to a whole extra level.

Dahbomb

That's not a control Warrior, that's a Fatigue Warrior deck that attempts to kill you with fatigue by using the Iron Juggernaut bombs.

I figured I would grind for Legend the last 3 days of Feb but today I realized that Feb only has 28 days! LMAO! Plus House of Cards new season comes out in a few hours which means less time to play some Hearthstone. I will settle with getting rank 5 this season.

Golgo 13

Fatigue decks are a tough matchup for control Warriors, assuming you are running the one that everyone runs. Other decks matchup better against fatigue.

To me playing a 20 minute match against a Warrior deck that is just one legendary after another plopped on the board is no more fun tbh.
All sorts of stuff can be annoying in the game, but it takes a certain kind of worm to want to break the game and spend 30 minutes on a match in order to win. Sorry, control Warrior doesn't even compare in irritation factor. Fatiguers are just lame.

That's not a control Warrior, that's a Fatigue Warrior deck that attempts to kill you with fatigue by using the Iron Juggernaut bombs.

I figured I would grind for Legend the last 3 days of Feb but today I realized that Feb only has 28 days! LMAO! Plus House of Cards new season comes out in a few hours which means less time to play some Hearthstone. I will settle with getting rank 5 this season.

Even if you consider it a fatigue warrior deck (I wouldn't but who knows), he should have abandoned that strategy against a paladin. Since when does a warrior out fatigue paladin... ever. I don't think I've ever lost a fatigue match against warrior. He could have used his 6/5 body to control the board, almost indefinitely. He would have won if he didn't play that way. Even if it is a fatigue warrior deck, that doesn't mean you can just ignore board control like that.

Holy shit, I just drafted a pally deck with Lay on Hands, Tirion, and Ysera o_o I've NEVER gotten Tirion and Ysera at the same time in arena.

I might need some help to not screw this up in getting 12 wins :p

Might see if Ratsmah wants to coach through or something :p

Xanathus

Holy shit, I just drafted a pally deck with Lay on Hands, Tirion, and Ysera o_o I've NEVER gotten Tirion and Ysera at the same time in arena.

I might need some help to not screw this up in getting 12 wins :p

Might see if Ratsmah wants to coach through or something :p

And then you never draw any of them, or die by turn 8 :(

Oh man Mana Wraith over what?

Otherwise that list looks pretty good. Only missing Consecrates.

If you drag out the games long enough you should easily win, so long as you're not facing priests with Mind Control.

^ The other choices weren't that good carbonated but I was thinking mana wraith might screw my opponents curve if dropped at the right time so I can buy time to get Tirion and Ysera out.

It will probably end up hurting me more than helping though :p

The funny thing about getting Legend this season is that it's February, so fewer days than a normal one. I guess that's a pretty good accomplishment.

And to everyone out there making the climb - I don't necessarily play every day either. I take days off and sometimes don't play for a week or more. Just had a solid deck against the current meta that allowed for a pretty ridiculous win rate for the last bit of the ladder. Actual time investment I don't know, probably less than 30 hours. So if you played 1 hour a day at a high enough win rate you could make legend by the end of each month. I probably watch streams as much or more than I play Hearthstone. I don't have any golden heroes or even level 60 ones yet. Besides playing other games.

Brofist

Made this as a joke deck, but in 2 games have absolutely destroyed a Mech Mage and a Control Warrior. Almost every minion can be activated by the Warsong Commander, which against the mech mage was nice for clearing. This was only around rank 7, so ymmv.

YrFZCBB.png

String of terrible luck and I lost 700+ ranks. GG.

I guess that's what I get for playing decks that are more fun to play than necessarily competitive in the current meta. Paladin still probably strongest right now IMO vs. what I see, but it's terribly boring after the amount of games I had to play with it to reach legend.

Golgo 13

How do legend ranks work? Are there only a certain amount of Legend players at any one time (Legend #1033, etc)?

How do legend ranks work? Are there only a certain amount of Legend players at any one time (Legend #1033, etc)?

yeah every legend player gets a unique legend number. the order is determined by everyone's hidden ranking number.

I just played against a control warrior with Deathwing.
He is legend rank 700.

yeah this is one of the problems with the current legend system. since you can't fall out of legendary and getting into the top 100 is a ridiculous amount of work a lot of players just play fun or goofy decks.

i was watching alchemixt stream the other day and since he was around rank 1000 he started playing a hobgoblin zoo deck with wisps. he went on a crazy win streak and made it to the top 50.

Golgo 13

So there are only around 1000 Legendary players at any given time? That doesn't sound right considering 23 million people have downloaded Hearthstone.

Xanathus

So there are only around 1000 Legendary players at any given time? That doesn't sound right considering 23 million people have downloaded Hearthstone.

There's significantly more, I'd say the number on one region is somewhere around 2000+ at the end of a season.

https://esports.geforce.com/news/99...-of-warcraft-sup-trade-sup-pro-am-tournament/

NVIDIA is proud to announce that free registration for the Hearthstone®: Heroes of WarcraftTM Pro/Am international tournament, featuring Blizzard Entertainment’s critically acclaimed digital collectable card game, is now open at https://esports.geforce.com. Pro and amateur players will compete online for their share of the $25K prize pool and qualification points for the Hearthstone World Championship. In addition to the cash prize pool, all pro players and the 16 amateurs who make the brackets will receive NVIDIA Shield Android gaming tablets.

Amateur Division: Eight weeks of open group play – one match per week. Swiss style, meaning results-based scheduling (NOT round-robin – players do not play every other player) across six regional conferences. After a short Amateur playoff (format & schedule TBA), the top 16 players will advance to the Global Playoffs. During the group stage, players in the Amateur division will play only against opponents inside of their regional conference at a default match time of 9:00 PM set in the conference’s local time zone.

Professional Division: 16 invited players have eight weeks of group play in a single global conference – two matches per week. The Professional division will use a Round-robin group style, meaning every player plays every other player once. Group stage results will determine playoff seeding.

Prize Pool ($25,000 USD + 230 qualification points for the Hearthstone World Championship):

1st: $10,000.00 + 100 qualification points for the Hearthstone World Championship
2nd: $5,000.00 + 50 qualification points for the Hearthstone World Championship
3rd/4th: $1,500.00 + qualification points for the Hearthstone World Championship
5th-8th: $750.00 + qualification points for the Hearthstone World Championship
9th-16th: $500.00

Seems pretty neat. If you manage to get top 16 in the amateur bracket you get an nvidia shield at the very least. Registration ends March 19th. Might be worth checking out.

CoolOff

I'm curious, how would you guys rank arena-classes at the moment? My take is this:

Hunter = Priest > Mage = Paladin > Rogue = Druid > Shaman = Warlock >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Warrior

I might just be shit at drafting Warlock though. Priest might need a bump down to second tier.

I'm curious, how would you guys rank arena-classes at the moment? My take is this:

Hunter = Priest > Mage = Paladin > Rogue = Druid > Shaman = Warlock > Warrior

I might just be shit at drafting Warlock though. Priest might need a bump down to second tier.

Mage
Paladin
Everything else
Warrior

I would rank them in 3 tiers (no order within the tiers):

tier 1:
rogue*
mage*
paladin*

tier 2:
hunter
druid*
warlock

tier 3:
priest
shaman
warrior

*is what I prefer to play in arena.

That said, any class can build a really strong arena deck so I don't think the ranking is even that important. You just have to be good at drafting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom