• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT2| Created by Unstable Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
glad i started saving gold up! only 500 so far but its a good start :)

so, i made a face hunter deck, so i could theoretically get through the lower ranks fast this month, but it hasn't worked out very well and its boring to play. and it feels dirty.

KePoW

Banned
glad i started saving gold up! only 500 so far but its a good start :)

so, i made a face hunter deck, so i could theoretically get through the lower ranks fast this month, but it hasn't worked out very well and its boring to play. and it feels dirty.

just curious, do you actually wear popped collar shirts all the time???

just curious, do you actually wear popped collar shirts all the time???

Not when he is 69ing.

Oh, and, I hope they buff Magma Rager or at least put in some crazy card like a Mekgineer Thermaplug legendary that summons Magma Ragers instead. Fiery Magma Rager: 6-mana, 8/3 with text that "Every time any minion is damaged or destroyed, summon a Magma Rager."

So I got to talk to Ben Tompson who did a talk this morning. It was kind of HearthStone related and he is the Art Director for the game. Pretty nice guy and saw some cool things from development. I forgot the four design points of HearthStone again, but they were simple, accessible, and collectible. There's a bit more to it than those but I forgot again.

Slightly OT but it was cool to see stuff. Wish what they had last year was online.

Edit: That's a cool idea Soka, would work good with Shaman with totems. Problem is that it doesn't do anything with board clears but maybe that's the point.

dralla

Oh god it finally happened. A legendary. And it's gold!

IPqb1cC.png

I have no choice but to break him down. But do I spend it all at once on a Dr Boom.. or build up my decks proper. decisions!

Dahbomb

Oh god it finally happened. A legendary. And it's gold!

IPqb1cC.png

I have no choice but to break him down. But do I spend it all at once on a Dr Boom.. or build up my decks proper. decisions!

When in doubt on what to do with your 1600 Dust.... always go with Dr Balanced.

egruntz

shelaughz
I think I've spent about $300 total on this game.
I'm at a point where I spend my dust to craft golden Nax cards.

Still missing quite a few legendaries. Ones that I don't want/need though. I'm talking stuff like Nat Pagel and Tinkerspark guy.

I think I should quit Hearthstone.

dralla

When in doubt on what to do with your 1600 Dust.... always go with Dr Balanced.

But my decks aren't all that great. I've only put 20 bucks into it and a few packs from challenges. I'm so tempted to buy him, but I feel like the smarter thing to do is buy cards to make my decks better. God damn you, Dr Boom

Dahbomb

But my decks aren't all that great. I've only put 20 bucks into it and a few packs from challenges. I'm so tempted to buy him, but I feel like the smarter thing to do is buy cards to make my decks better. God damn you, Dr Boom
All the more reason to craft Dr Balanced.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
I couldn't play yesterday because of work, so today I started playing ranked again (since the end of the season) and god damn are the lower ranks stacked. Ran into a guy who, and I'm not kidding, had ONLY GOLDEN CARDS, including at least 5 Golden Legendaries (Boom, Ragnaros, Cairne, a few others). This is at rank 20-17, mind you. I've also fought 3 people with Legend cardbacks and probably 6 or so Gold Heroes (the 500 Ranked Win reward).

Dude.

KePoW

Banned
I couldn't play yesterday because of work, so today I started playing ranked again (since the end of the season) and god damn are the lower ranks stacked. Ran into a guy who, and I'm not kidding, had ONLY GOLDEN CARDS, including at least 5 Golden Legendaries (Boom, Ragnaros, Cairne, a few others). This is at rank 20-17, mind you. I've also fought 3 people with Legend cardbacks and probably 6 or so Gold Heroes (the 500 Ranked Win reward).

Dude.

I only started playing the game less than a month ago, but I wonder if it's like this at the beginning of every Season??

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Yes. The ranks reset every season and even legend players will have to start around 12 I believe.

It's advisable to avoid Ranked early on in the month unless you're really dedicated to climbing that ladder and you have the decks for it.

That'll teach me to take a break from the game. Come back this weekend and am now playing catch up trying to get all the GvG cards. Now another lot of cards is about to be unveiled. Was going to blow all my gold(2k) on packs tonight but I think I will wait to see what this announcement is first and whether I need gold for it.

KePoW

Banned
Yes. The ranks reset every season and even legend players will have to start around 12 I believe.

It's advisable to avoid Ranked early on in the month unless you're really dedicated to climbing that ladder and you have the decks for it.

ok thx pal didn't know that. How's Casual at this time then??

Majine

Banned
My Sylvanas took the 1/7 and stole his Sylvanas.

Even tho he still had 6 guys on the board, he conceded. Sometimes RNG breaks you.

Ok. Didn't know that, where did you hear it?

Hearthstone Wiki
Blizz's community PR dudes on Hearthpwn
Also Ben Brode on the Twitter machine HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Matchmaking in Casual mode is determined by each player's Casual matchmaking rating (MMR), aiming to match the player against an opponent of comparable skill, with wins and losses affecting future opponent selection. There is currently no scheduled reset for Casual MMRs, but they are designed to change quickly in response to win and lose streaks.

Somehow after reaching legend constructed streams are a lot more boring. It's like, I know I can be as good as those guys if I put my mind to it, so there's not as much to learn.

Arenas still fun to watch because of the randomness, and I haven't been playing arena myself all that often lately.

Tournaments still fine of course.

ViviOggi

Somehow after reaching legend constructed streams are a lot more boring. It's like, I know I can be as good as those guys if I put my mind to it, so there's not as much to learn.

Arenas still fun to watch because of the randomness, and I haven't been playing arena myself all that often lately.

Everyone has lots to learn from Kolento-senpai

johnsmith

remember me

Yeah, no. Just because you got to legend doesn't mean you're as good as a top streamer. There's a huge gulf between just getting to legend, and being able to finish in top 100 legend consistently.Probably wider than that between those stuck at rank 5, and those that can make it to legend. And just because you got to legend a couple of times with a specific deck or two doesn't mean you can play every deck at the top level. There's always more to learn.

Yeah, no. Just because you got to legend doesn't mean you're as good as a top streamer. There's a huge gulf between just getting to legend, and being able to finish in top 100 legend consistently.Probably wider than that between those stuck at rank 5, and those that can make it to legend. And just because you got to legend a couple of times with a specific deck or two doesn't mean you can play every deck at the top level. There's always more to learn.

Not saying I'm the best or anything, just that it's not as interesting. Maybe I'm just burnt out a bit after the grind.

johnsmith

remember me
That definitely happens. When I start getting burned out I just cut back and only play to do my dailies. Eventually I'll get the urge to start doing arenas again, or grinding towards another gold hero, or trying for legend again.

Dahbomb

I never grind in Hearthstone, just do my daily and occasionally once a day Arena. Like I said I can't stomach Hearthstone in long stretches because the longer I play the more chance I have to run into some ridiculous RNG swing.

When I get burned out, I simply stop playing. I don't even worry about dailies. It is often in the back of my mind but I just remind myself it isn't worth worrying about. I just find another game to play (Nosgoth atm but that game is pissing me off with its open beta-ness and broken updates). So now I am logging in tonight cause of that =/

Are Murlocs useless lol?

Trying to win a few games using a deck full of them and it hasn't worked out well yet

They're pretty bad, yeah

Zoo is better at keeping board control and Face Hunter has more consistent damage. Murlocs aren't fast enough to beat good aggro and not sticky enough to beat good control.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Of my 31 games played so far this season, 42% of them were either mage or hunter. I'm 8-4 against them too because I made an specifically anti-hunter/mage deck.

Too bad that also means 6-13 against everyone else, making me have a losing win rate.

It's harder than I thought countering the metagame, because you still need to do at least ok against the non-popular classes too, or win like 90% of the time against the class you're trying to counter.

Face hunter is especially hard here, because games are so fast, it's very possible to lose before you draw all the good cards, making it hard to make a deck that counters them so hard you win 85% of the time against them.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
They're pretty bad, yeah

Zoo is better at keeping board control and Face Hunter has more consistent damage. Murlocs aren't fast enough to beat good aggro and not sticky enough to beat good control.

Most murlocs are pretty bad cards on their own. They need the synergy to work, which means that murloc decks are very draw dependent. So they're one of the most inconsistent aggro decks in the game.

Dahbomb

It takes one board clear to put Murloc decks out of business. On the other hand, stuff like Mech Mages can comeback from a board clear which is what makes them strong.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Why do so many Warrior control decks have Barron Geddon? I won't say it's a trash card, but it really isn't anything great. It's basically a consecration with a 7/5 body that gets removed almost immediately since control warrior rarely has taunts or many other minions on the board. I just don't understand why people don't use Brawl instead -- it's a more reliable board clearer, cheaper, etc. I honestly regret crafting Geddon, I just don't see the value.

So I'm playing ranked and I'm losing more than I'm winning and back sliding down from rank 13 to 14 and getting pretty frustrated. I start up another game and pull yet another Face Hunter. Fine, Mech Mage has a pretty good chance against that deck, let's do this. He gets way ahead on damage, but he's running out of cards and I'm starting to take control of the board. He plays a Wolfrider, hits face, hero powers, then stealths his Wolfrider with a spare part. I play Dr. Boom and then run my board into his Explosive Trap. The Boom Bots go off and one of them takes out the Wolfrider. He plays a Mad Scientist and Hunter's Mark on Dr. Boom and finishes with hero power. He's already been through both Explosive Traps, so I kill the Mad Scientist with Frostbolt and he gets nothing. I use a +1 damage spare part on Dr. Boom and hit his face and play another minion or two. He's down to 8 health, has no cards in hand, and I've got board control with an 8 attack Dr. Boom and a Fireball in hand. I've only got 7 health, but I should be able to survive a turn. This is over, right? What could he possibly draw that could pull his ass out of this fire? Golden. Leeroy. Jenkins. Fuck this game.

mxgt

Banned
So I'm playing ranked and I'm losing more than I'm winning and back sliding down from rank 13 to 14 and getting pretty frustrated. I start up another game and pull yet another Face Hunter. Fine, Mech Mage has a pretty good chance against that deck, let's do this. He gets way ahead on damage, but he's running out of cards and I'm starting to take control of the board. He plays a Wolfrider, hits face, hero powers, then stealths his Wolfrider with a spare part. I play Dr. Boom and then run my board into his Explosive Trap. The Boom Bots go off and one of them takes out the Wolfrider. He plays a Mad Scientist and Hunter's Mark on Dr. Boom and finishes with hero power. He's already been through both Explosive Traps, so I kill the Mad Scientist with Frostbolt and he gets nothing. I use a +1 damage spare part on Dr. Boom and hit his face and play another minion or two. He's down to 8 health, has no cards in hand, and I've got board control with an 8 attack Dr. Boom and a Fireball in hand. I've only got 7 health, but I should be able to survive a turn. This is over, right? What could he possibly draw that could pull his ass out of this fire? Golden. Leeroy. Jenkins. Fuck this game.

I would have sympathy, but you're playing mech mage.

Sblargh

Banned
Some arena matches are so edge-of-your-seat. Damn. Almost too exciting, lol.

Everyone throwing curve balls at each other in a desperate and insane attempt to somehow carve out a win.

TheChaos0

Some arena matches are so edge-of-your-seat. Damn. Almost too exciting, lol.

Everyone throwing curve balls at each other in a desperate and insane attempt to somehow carve out a win.

Because you don't know what they have drafted, every card they draw could be you downfall! At least this is how I feel when I'm doing a run.

Also, managed to do a 10 win run with a paladin deck, could have made it to 12 I think. The deck wasn't even anything super special. I just had 3 truesilvers and just a bunch of decent cards. That was my best run a while. Pre-GvG was a lot more consistent, I've never really adapted to post-GvG arena scene.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
It's basically a consecration with a 7/5 body that gets removed almost immediately

Paying 3 mana for a 7/5 is pretty good. And if it eats premium removal, great! That opens the way for your other threats.

Rapstah

What is the best, most realistic fake Hunter card anyone can come up with that would both be ridiculous enough that everyone would be calling it broken before the expansion even releases, and not blatantly overpowered enough that people would believe Blizzard would create it? I'm thinking something like a minion that makes Steady Shot do one extra damage per (friendly?) minion on the board.

Why do so many Warrior control decks have Barron Geddon? I won't say it's a trash card, but it really isn't anything great. It's basically a consecration with a 7/5 body that gets removed almost immediately since control warrior rarely has taunts or many other minions on the board. I just don't understand why people don't use Brawl instead -- it's a more reliable board clearer, cheaper, etc. I honestly regret crafting Geddon, I just don't see the value.

he comes in and out of the meta depending on the threats on ladder. hunter and mech mage tend to have a lot of trash that needs to be cleaned up. when deathrattle zoo was dominant he was phased out of most decks because of eggs.

What is the best, most realistic fake Hunter card anyone can come up with that would both be ridiculous enough that everyone would be calling it broken before the expansion even releases, and not blatantly overpowered enough that people would believe Blizzard would create it? I'm thinking something like a minion that makes Steady Shot do one extra damage per (friendly?) minion on the board.

an over-budgeted minion that has charge if you control a beast. like a 4 mana 5/3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom