• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT2| Created by Unstable Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fixed1979

Just throwing this out there, but if you're playing a fatigue deck, "eat shit."

You're most likely going to loose, and if somehow you don't then the game is going to be 30 minutes long at least because I'm roping out every turn.

Nothing makes me happier than popping face hunter explosive traps with 2x armorsmith on the board and then nuking his eaglehorn bow.

Fight the cancer!

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong

You're most likely going to loose, and if somehow you don't then the game is going to be 30 minutes long at least because I'm roping out every turn.
% 100. It's a wormy way to play the game, something is wrong with you as a person if you enjoy slithering your way to a 30 minute victory. So fucking lame.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Seems like a good time to do my dailies.

hearthstone_screenshorau3l.png
Oh.

Haunted

I don't get it. Are you Brian Kibler? His streams are great.
I like Kibler, I think his streams are great.

I think that playmat is absolutely ridiculous and I love posting it to poke fun at it. (for context, the post was live commentary done during a tournament in which he didn't show on webcam while his opponent did)

sick.gif

ez game for Kolento coming up
Trump = best constructed player NA!?

Lyng

% 100. It's a wormy way to play the game, something is wrong with you as a person if you enjoy slithering your way to a 30 minute victory. So fucking lame.

How is that anymore wormy then just going straight for face while shutting your brain off?

I really wish that people would play more card games then just Hearthstone.

If fatigue decks are wrong, then I don't wanna be right. I got all day and night, so rope away.

But really, I just love the card management of fatigue decks, the Mage one in particular. Planning what you want to be duplicated, when it's safest to Echo, how much damage can you sustain when you don't draw your board clears. It's a tense experience that I don't get with the mid-range decks I typically play.

Haunted

Control and fatigue decks are infinitely more interesting and engaging to me than rush decks.

Good games have viable styles at all ranges - from rush to aggro to midrange to control to fatigue (+ gimmicks like mill or combo).

Dragner

I love playing control too but you cant beat the average draw of an unfair agro deck like face hunter or mech mage without tweeking your deck to beat them that makes you worse against any other deck. Yeah agro decks have rough matchups too but they can just end their game in 3 min and join another.

Blizzard needs to change ladder system from stars to a points system when the game rewards you points for winning making more plays, playing more turns or surviving at lower hp. Just like it does with xp. That way you can rank with control with the same advantage agro decks have.

Lyng

If fatigue decks are wrong, then I don't wanna be right. I got all day and night, so rope away.

But really, I just love the card management of fatigue decks, the Mage one in particular. Planning what you want to be duplicated, when it's safest to Echo, how much damage can you sustain when you don't draw your board clears. It's a tense experience that I don't get with the mid-range decks I typically play.

Yup. You really need to evaluate every single card in your hand, and that just makes the game much more fun (to me at least).
Then again, it also depens why you play Hearthstone. I play it because I love card games, and Hearthstone is the best digital card game there is right now.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Man, playing up at rank 20 is rough right now. I was trying to win 5 games with my rogue deck yesterday, at rank 20, and out of 11 games I only won 3. Normally I'd have no problems winning 5 games up around rank 20 but holy hell I faced more legendaries and epics last night than all of last season! Several times I lost before we even got to 7 crystals, and I hadn't even damaged the enemy's hero at all.

So how does unranked play work? Would I still face completely lopsided matches like that, or is it more fair and evened out?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I love playing control too but you cant beat the average draw of an unfair agro deck like face hunter or mech mage without tweeking your deck to beat them that makes you worse against any other deck. Yeah agro decks have rough matchups too but they can just end their game in 3 min and join another.

Blizzard needs to change ladder system from stars to a points system when the game rewards you points for winning making more plays, playing more turns or surviving at lower hp. Just like it does with xp. That way you can rank with control with the same advantage agro decks have.

Ugh no. I abhor this idea. A win is a win. The idea that you should get more points for barely squeeking by with 2 HP or because you went 15+ turns is ludacris.

That would be like saying say an NBA team should get extra points for winning by 2 vs winning by 20 or a NFL team should get more credit for winning in OT.

Man, playing up at rank 20 is rough right now. I was trying to win 5 games with my rogue deck yesterday, at rank 20, and out of 11 games I only won 3. Normally I'd have no problems winning 5 games up around rank 20 but holy hell I faced more legendaries and epics last night than all of last season! Several times I lost before we even got to 7 crystals, and I hadn't even damaged the enemy's hero at all.

So how does unranked play work? Would I still face completely lopsided matches like that, or is it more fair and evened out?

unranked is based purely on your hidden MMR so it should be way more fair.

it's like this after every ladder reset. i haven't had a good chance to play this week because i've been swamped at work so i'm going to be going into the weekend at rank 19 and will feel really bad when i beat an obviously new player.

Ugh no. I abhor this idea. A win is a win. The idea that you should get more points for barely squeeking by with 2 HP or because you went 15+ turns is ludacris.

That would be like saying say an NBA team should get extra points for winning by 2 vs winning by 20 or a NFL team should get more credit for winning in OT.

completely agree. your life total is a resource and it doesn't matter how much you have when the game is over. this kind of system would, hilariously, put warlock at a huge disadvantage.

The BCS ranking system in college football is kind of like that actually.

ViviOggi

All this game needs is a separate multi-match ladder. Playing in the current ranked system couldn't be farther from the competitive experience. Something simple like bo3, one ban and no sideboard (because let's face it, there won't be one ever) would more than suffice for starters. Throw in some meaningful rewards as incentive and you're golden.

Kettch

I watched that paladin vs mage match. I think kibler did everything right, but I wasn't a fan of his deck. I'm not a fan of seal of light. I thought it would be pretty good as a replacement for holy light, and it is, but I decided it wasn't good enough. This was pre-UT so maybe its slightly more useful now. Taking out huffer did save him 4 hp and healed for 4.

I'm also not a big fan of the cogmaster hammer, however I still need to test that out more.

I can't say for sure without knowing his deck, but I think kibler's deck failed him in that match, not his playing of the deck. I guess I am just saying I wasn't all that impressed with his deck.

I think Seal of Light is just a bad card. I didn't watch the match, but if he hit a Huffer with it then he didn't actually heal for 4, he came out even on HP. In that sense it's an Arcane Shot/Holy Smite that can't get passed taunts or be used separately from a weapon and costs 2 instead of 1. I don't think the combination of being early removal or late game heal makes up for the incredibly low value it gives. I'd much rather have a Worgen Infiltrator in my deck and I don't really want a Worgen Infiltrator in my deck.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I didn't watch the match, but if he hit a Huffer with it then he didn't actually heal for 4, he came out even on HP. In that sense it's an Arcane Shot/Holy Smite that can't get passed taunts or be used separately from a weapon and costs 2 instead of 1. I don't think the combination of being early removal or late game heal makes up for the incredibly low value it gives. I'd much rather have a Worgen Infiltrator in my deck and I don't really want a Worgen Infiltrator in my deck.

If he hit a huffer with it then it essentially did the same thing as darkbomb, wrath, or frostbolt on a huffer. That's not a bad result that makes you think you should run worgen infiltrator instead.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
32, unless you think thoughtsteal is also "a card".

Plenty of cards give more cards. Many deathrattles, for example. And Spare Parts.

Here's an interesting thought experiment.

How many "cards" is Nerubian Egg? Implosion? Malorne? Ysera?

I crafted two gold Thoughtsteals because I like seeing lots of gold cards in-game. Same reason my favourite gold cards are the ones that give you more cards or tokens.

I was so disappointed when I found out gold Mirror Entity doesn't give you golden minions unless the minion played is also gold.

Kettch

If he hit a huffer with it then it essentially did the same thing as darkbomb, wrath, or frostbolt on a huffer. That's not a bad result that makes you think you should run worgen infiltrator instead.

I didn't say that was a bad result, using it on a huffer is actually quite a rare best case scenario. I said that it's a bad card. I'm sure that you can see that it's vastly inferior to darkbomb, wrath or frostbolt. Those aren't even comparable to arcane shot/holy smite.

Fixed1979

How is that anymore wormy then just going straight for face while shutting your brain off?

I really wish that people would play more card games then just Hearthstone.

I was mostly just bitter when posting that last night about fatigue decks, I'm pretty sure I had just suffered a brutal loss to a fatigue mage after facing 2 other fatigue decks in my previous 5 matches...it got a little tiring. They're obviously a valid form of deck and some people will enjoy them...I'm still going to drag out any fatigue matches as long as I can though.

I ran into this deck on one of my first games of ladder this season (playing mech mage trying to finish a daily) and was super confused. Turns out it's an anti-meta control mage and also the most popular mage deck on hearthpwn. It's actually a blast to play, I'm enjoying it a lot.

The best is when you're playing against a mech mage and they put down mirror entity. You play your mad scientist so he gets one as well. Whether he chooses to trade it or go for face, you can use kezan mystic next turn to steal his last mirror.

caesar

Banned
New adventure mode coming and I get new wifi tomorrow
ohfVhUD.png

Naxx level op cards / blizz fuck ups inc

New Undertaker
obama%20whew.png

New sludge belcher
kttcolijawalrus

New deathlord
2srgCIF.png

New loatheb
kttcolibryan

Bless up with approx 5 op cards forcing us to buy the adventure mode with 25 other trash cards so I spend 30 dollars on 5 neutral op rares that everyone will use in every deck

Thank you blizz

mxgt

Banned
I ran into this deck on one of my first games of ladder this season (playing mech mage trying to finish a daily) and was super confused. Turns out it's an anti-meta control mage and also the most popular mage deck on hearthpwn. It's actually a blast to play, I'm enjoying it a lot.

The best is when you're playing against a mech mage and they put down mirror entity. You play your mad scientist so he gets one as well. Whether he chooses to trade it or go for face, you can use kezan mystic next turn to steal his last mirror.

I've played it exclusively so far this season to rank 10 with a decent win rate.

Only changes are Harrison replacing Troggzor and Ragnaros replacing Sneeds.

Illuminator getting duplicated with Ice Block up is one of my favourite combos.

It does have the downside of no card draw, which hasn't been a major issue for me yet, but I'm thinking of dropping a card or two for an Azure Drake/Intellect.

I think Seal of Light is just a bad card. I didn't watch the match, but if he hit a Huffer with it then he didn't actually heal for 4, he came out even on HP. In that sense it's an Arcane Shot/Holy Smite that can't get passed taunts or be used separately from a weapon and costs 2 instead of 1. I don't think the combination of being early removal or late game heal makes up for the incredibly low value it gives. I'd much rather have a Worgen Infiltrator in my deck and I don't really want a Worgen Infiltrator in my deck.

Because he was below 26 hp when he used it, he did in fact heal for 4. He took another 4 damage while removing huffer but that is actually one of the better ways for a paladin to deal with huffer if he isn't using board. If he had used another weapon, he would have been down yet an additional 4hp. You can't really compare it to arcane shot and holy smite... since paladin doesn't have either of those. I don't even think paladin would run either of those if that even were the case.

Also it is actually quite good for combination with a weapon to reach higher damage to remove bigger minions that paladin can have difficulty removing without board presence.

Worgen infiltrator... must be joking.

Cheap healing spells actually do fill quite an important role in a paladin deck.

embalm

So last night I thought I would pay Naxx a visit and try to puzzle out decks for beating it in Heroic mode. It's freaking tough. I was on the 4 horsemen when something really funny happened. I built a priest deck with shadow word pains, silences, a few sticky minions, a pair of Kezen Mystics for Baron's secrets, velen's choosen, and lots of healing. Then I accidently queued into ranked, before I realized it, the match was loaded up against hunter.

It's been a long time since I've beaten someone so completely and fully. I got out a Shadow Boxer who finished off minions with every heal, got a Velen Choosen on a Shredder and it just dominated him. I Silenced a shredder, silenced his highmane, silenced his little secret scientist. I shadow madnessed his doggie into his freezing trap and played it again to absorb another freezing trap and then used the 3 mana doggie for the last point of lethal damage on the next turn.

It was all around domination and it blew my mind. Maybe there is something to look at for a silence based priest, or maybe silence just has incredible value against some of these cards.

CoolOff

So, with the new adventure announced we need people to come up with a new OT-title.

Or maybe it could be a Dr. Balance-pun.

ViviOggi

1-0 arena

priest plays turn 7 dr. b

single bot kills my full health tazdingo

i clear regardless - turn 8 force-tank

just FUCK this game so motherfucking hard

what a ridiculous shitshow

ViviOggi

PSA: Legendary day on EU right now, the Shaman I played after that piece of shit Priest had a Foe Reaper

Think twice before starting an arena, high chance of getting fucked over (my best pick was Tink so yeah)

egruntz

shelaughz

Lmao. You're giving them exactly what they want. Most fatigue players enjoy wasting everyone's time.

Mill Druid and Fatigue Mage are pretty cool decks, I think.

Fixed1979

Yeah I know. Like I said, I was mostly just riled up last night after facing several of them in a short period of time. I usually have the TV or something on while I'm playing so squelch and rope is easy enough and that's only after I realize that they actually pulled it off...you guys should be thanking me anyway! The longer I tie up those decks the less chance you'll have to face the same one! :)

So HearthGAF... I have a gold Cenarius that I was thinking about deconstructing. My question is, should I straight up construct a regular legendary such as Dr. Boom or should I create a low budget deck that I can use. Keep in mind I am new to Hearthstone and don't have any kind of good deck yet.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Oil rogue requires so much thinking uuuuuuugh.

cBj1LTf.png
cBj1LTf.png
cBj1LTf.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom