• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT2| Created by Unstable Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xanathus

broski just buy one 50-pack, it will help a lot with your card collection

Make sure you get Naxx first before buying packs.

Unrelated but.... So I guess Grommash Hellscream is Garrosh's father? So Garrosh summons his dad? Kinda crazy! I don't know anything about WoW lore, just happened upon that info.

Garrosh also kills Cairne in WoW which is why when Cairne is played vs Garrosh he says "Garrosh you are not fit to rule the horde".

Sblargh

Banned
broski just buy one 50-pack, it will help a lot with your card collection

You are the rich texan single mom, you buy me a 50-pack.

I already spent money on Naxx and will probably do it again for this new adventure about to be released. So I dunno. Maybe eventually.

Pooya

Money on packs is a waste, you rarely get anything worthwhile, less so the thing you actually want. I'd only spend money on things like Naxx where it's not worthwhile to buy with gold. The gold I earn goes into arena, again better investment than packs... I at least get 3-4 wins, entry fee just pays itself back and then some. Even if you don't win anything you get a pack.

Sblargh

Banned
Problem with arena is that they are only GvG packs. So I alternate between arena runs and buying a classic pack with the gold.

ViviOggi

Blizzard panel @ PAX
t1425655800z1.png

I apologise if this has already been talked about but what do you guys think Blizzard are gonna do in regards to the BRM/Molten Core adventure stuff? Ragnaros/Baron Geddon/etc are already cards.

If I remember correctly Blizzard wanted to put in neutral legendary spells so that could be one way around it, just use major spells from the bosses.

Tacitus_

I apologise if this has already been talked about but what do you guys think Blizzard are gonna do in regards to the BRM/Molten Core adventure stuff? Ragnaros/Baron Geddon/etc are already cards.

If I remember correctly Blizzard wanted to put in neutral legendary spells so that could be one way around it, just use major spells from the bosses.

Garr
7 mana 7/7, summons 2 1/1 Firesworn. WARNING: Firesworn may explode!

Haunted

The articles is basically just regurgitating some book people on the forums spout around as gospel.
It's David Sirlin's book and it has a pretty sweet and accurate chapter about this - but it's about Street Fighter and other competitive fighting games in the arcades and local tournament scene from 15 years ago, before concepts like free to play or pay to win or streaming really existed.

Aside from the fact that I have a problem with this guy basically copying large excerpts of the chapter almost verbatim and simply replacing Street Fighter 2 with Hearthstone examples while inserting some current pop culture references.... Playing to Win was about the 100% skill-based game Street Fighter 2 and the way it was played in 2000 - while some of the underlying talk about psychology and mentality is still topical, it just doesn't really apply to the F2P card game Hearthstone and the way it is being played in 2015. The circumstances of the two games are just so different - you can't copy the chapter about scrubs from Sirlin's book and think it'd all perfectly apply to Hearthstone like the author of that article did.

Sande

I just drew 3 out 17 of my minions by round 12. It wouldn't have been so bad if it wasn't a rush deck. I don't think I've ever felt so unlucky in this game.

If there isn't at least 1 card that warns you not to stand in the fire, I'll be very disappointed.

I just drew 3 out 17 of my minions by round 12. It wouldn't have been so bad if it wasn't a rush deck. I don't think I've ever felt so unlucky in this game.

How did you survive to round 12 as a rush deck without minions? That's a feat in and of itself.

IceMarker

I think we've all said it at least once and I'll add to the pile... h-here goes...
I'm sick of playing against Mech Mage and Face Hunter.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"

Nefarian has to be a new card. I'd eat my hat if he wasn't.

Most of the Molten Core bosses are mechanically uninteresting compared to what Blizzard did with later raids, so I figured they'll do something different than what they did with Naxx. Or they'll make stuff up.

I'm also guessing they'll do both Blackwing Lair and Blackwing Descent.

They probably won't do Blackrock Depths or Blackrock Spire (too many bosses) but if they do it'll take a different form than Naxx for sure.

ViviOggi

whatever it is I hope it comes out soon, like next month soon.
The corresponding card back is for the current season so it's safe to assume they're planning to release later this month, just like it was with Naxx. It's Blizzard though so there could always be delays.

Heropon

Just when I was thinking that oil rogue wasn't that dangerous one uses Malygos + Preparation + Fan of Knives and wrecks me and my army of ice minions. Someday I'll get my revenge.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Potential Megaton Leak Rumor from GAF

NeoGAF Android OT

Originally Posted by Hasney
Oh. Well in that case, allow me add my own personal HOLY SHIT.

EDIT: Unrelated, but does Hearthstone now work on phones? Google play is oddly saying it's compatible with my old S4 but not my N6.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
That's actually not a bad card. Say, 2 mana 2/2 taunt; your description. It helps stop mech aggro without being absurd.

At 2 mana that's a clear example of power creep, it would be straight up better than Frostwolf Grunt.

Notwithstanding the fact that still nobody would run it, because it would still be a Frostwolf Grunt most of the time.

TimeKillr

this is a really good article about the scrub mentality and the irrational hatred of cheap decks: http://hearthstoneplayers.com/playing-win-part-one-defeating-scrub-mentality/

Fuckin' Dave Sirlin again.

*sigh*

I can't stand this guy's book and the influence it's been having over a lot of stuff. Playing to win is not the only *way* to play games, and certainly not the only viable way to play competitively.

While I agree on some points (there's no such thing as "cheap" - everything you can do in a game is a viable strategy), his points for describing scrubs is funny as hell.

There's no such thing as cheap decks - if you can't adapt, you can't ever win, and that is true of absolutely everything in life. The problem with Hearthstone (Sirlin's examples apply to fighting games better as there is no randomness in serious fighters) is RNG.

RNG in games like Magic is highly lessened due to 2 facts - you can have 4 copies of every card (except for very specific ones), and there's very little RNG mechanics in-game (there have been flip a coin type deals, but I haven't seen those in a while).

RNG in Hearthstone has card draw, which is a bit more problematic because getting a bad hand in Hearthstone is more likely to happen (max 2 copies of every card, draw 5, 6 if you're second, compared to both players start with 7 in Magic, which again diminishes RNG even further) but also has RNG-based mechanics that could only happen in a digital CCG (a lot of Shaman Mechanics, MCT, Rag, Boom Bots, Bombers, etc).

The problem is that RNG has a much more significant impact in Hearthstone than it ever does in MTG. A single MCT can swing a game - yes, you can play around it, but does that mean you should *never* have more than 4 minions on-board? How can you play around bombers? Around Rag? Around Crackle? You can argue that RNG typically can go both ways - if you need Crackle to deal 6 damage and it deals 4, well it went the other player's way, but it's FAR easier to deal with RNG when you are the initiator than the receiver.

"Cheap" decks like Face Hunter and Mech Mage are "problematic" because they lessen how card draw RNG affects them (especially Face Hunter). If you're playing control against these decks (and the same type of problem was apparent against Zoo), you're essentially SOL if your 2-3 removal options aren't drawn. You don't necessarily lose to skill, you lose to RNG. When a deck has multiple options for turn 1-2-3 and you have a grand total of 4 to 6 removal cards, you're in trouble. Obviously, you have to adjust to the meta - if you fight a lot of Face Hunter and Mech Mage, you need to add in more and more removal and taunts, but then that screws you up if you play against anything else. That's the big problem right now, really, not to mention the fact that some classes just do not have the removal options that others have.

Rapstah

Why does Trump insist on playing decks where he repeatedly can't figure out the right play before his turn runs out? Dude just can't play Oil Rogue.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
The reason I find simple face aggressive decks so much more frustrating in hearthstone than something like magic has nothing to do with RNG or playing to win and everything to do with the fact that in hearthstone, combat favors the attacker while in magic combat favors the defender.

This means that when you lose to an aggro deck in hearthstone, you feel so much more helpless than you do in magic. And feeling helpless is 100x worse than losing.

I don't really see a solution though because making combat favor the defender slows the game down dramatically which wouldn't be good for the overall appeal of hearthstone. Hearthstone will just have to maintain a careful balance of aggro not being hated *enough* to turn all the midrange/control players away from the game.

Fuckin' Dave Sirlin again.

*sigh*

I can't stand this guy's book and the influence it's been having over a lot of stuff. Playing to win is not the only *way* to play games, and certainly not the only viable way to play competitively.

While I agree on some points (there's no such thing as "cheap" - everything you can do in a game is a viable strategy), his points for describing scrubs is funny as hell.

There's no such thing as cheap decks - if you can't adapt, you can't ever win, and that is true of absolutely everything in life. The problem with Hearthstone (Sirlin's examples apply to fighting games better as there is no randomness in serious fighters) is RNG.

I don't think Sirlin has ever said that playing to win is the only way to play. His observation is fairly simple: that the vast majority of barriers facing players in competitive videogames (not just esports-level, but any multiplayer game with win conditions) are mental. That's just as applicable today as it was 15 years ago. The overwhelming majority of people have a scrub-like mentality and games are designed around that; it's why most competitive games have side-goals like EXP and achievements and reward grind as opposed to skill improvement, and "pure" competitive games like fighting games or arena shooters are becoming less and less relevant to the medium. The only mistake that people make is they think of scrub purely as a derisive term as opposed to a descriptor of a mindset, maybe because of the TLC song.

Also, ST is Sirlin's favorite game and it has an absurd amount of RNG, one character even has a move that when done correctly is unblockable 50% of the time.

Hasney

I don't actually have the S4 to test that I can just download and play annoyingly, just says the i9000 model is compatible in the Play Store, but not the i9005 model.

I did grab an unmodified .apk for my Nexus 6 though and it now works fine without any resolution or DPI changing shenanigans, so I wouldn't be shocked if they're on the final parts of testing and are ready to just hit the switch and say it's compatible with certain phones soon.

EDIT: It might actually be a modified .apk, but hey, it works so I'm happy... My bosses might not be though.

Dreavus

I don't see how the presence of random elements changes anything about the 'playing to win' mindset. You just try to minimize it where you can.

Sande

How did you survive to round 12 as a rush deck without minions? That's a feat in and of itself.
My opponent didn't have a good draw either. It was a pretty weird match overall. Basically nothing happened for almost ten turns. It felt pretty ridiculous when I had seven spells in my hand and nothing on the board to use them on.

CoolOff

Switched from Control Hunter to Control Mage, and Unstable Portal rewarded me for quitting cancer. Back-to-back three games in a row I've gotten:

* Rag
* Grom
* Sneed's

get rekt huntards

Working on my first attempt at a post-gvg reincarnate shaman deck since I have 2 shaman win quests.

Gonna see how well a wild pyro/spare parts + reincarnate deck works out. Using mech yeti + toshley for spare parts. KT + sylvanas for reincarnate targets. So its quite different... but probably pretty bad.

Aylinato

Play handlock, face hunter, lose before turn 5 starts. Play my zoo, face handlock with all perfect cards in hand for their starting hand

First match against paladin, he plays tirion on a board with sylvanas already on it! wtf is he thinking. So he uses coolant on sylvanas. I am running 2 reincarnates so I am guaranteed to get tirion since he has 2 minions. But I try to save one by hopefully rolling spellpower to earthshock his minibot. Fails. So then I just reincarnate once... miss that die roll. So I end up reincarnating twice to get tirion. Totally worth it of course.

My bad rng was also shared by him when he MCT'd and got his minibot back and not tirion or sylvanas.

He ended up conceding thinking I had lethal when I earthshocked his sludge belcher, played, alakir, and was about to play a +1 attack (not rockbiter which would have been lethal) on alakir. Granted, I had crackle to finish him off but a board of sylvanas, tirion, and alakir... so I guess he felt pretty screwed either way.

But seriously, who in their right mind plays tirion on a board with sylvanas? It didn't even seem like he had a silence.

edit:
Casual but legendary card back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom