• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT2| Created by Unstable Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.

egruntz

shelaughz
I don't think this card would be very good. It's basically a Cone of Cold except that it doesn't do any damage and you can't actually position it yourself to make it most optimum.

If it did 1 damage to those minions then it might be more competitive.

Goodness gracious. For 2 mana it shouldn't be doing that much.
Cone of Cold is 4 mana, 3 freeze, each get dealt 1 damage.
Half the mana, half the effect. It being a secret is a plus, since it can be pulled for free from Mad Scientist.

It's just meant to be a stall tactic. Frost Nova, for instance is 3 mana to freeze minions without dealing damage. Arcane Blast, which is 2 mana, deals 1 damage.

Just to put it into perspective.

Hunters are about putting on the hurt. Freezing the opponent's board for a turn would be fantastic for Hunters. Especially if it was for free from le scientist.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I've always wanted to see a legendary spell. I remember reading an idea that sounded cool to me. It was something like

Shaman Spell
10 Mana (10 overload)

Summon an Earth, Water, Unbound, and Fire Elemental.

The ultimate in all in cards.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Lol wut guys. Mage card Duplicate bugged, confirmed. Had it active, 3 different minions died, never activated. They were normal minions too, Snowchugger, and Knife Thrower. I know it doesn't discriminate because I've used it to dupe Legendary cards many times.

Dahbomb

Goodness gracious. For 2 mana it shouldn't be doing that much.
Cone of Cold is 4 mana, 3 freeze, each get dealt 1 damage.
Half the mana, half the effect. It being a secret is a plus, since it can be pulled for free from Mad Scientist.

It's just meant to be a stall tactic. Frost Nova, for instance is 3 mana to freeze minions without dealing damage. Arcane Blast, which is 2 mana, deals 1 damage.

Just to put it into perspective.

Hunters are about putting on the hurt. Freezing the opponent's board for a turn would be fantastic for Hunters. Especially if it was for free from le scientist.

The cost of regular spells don't apply the same to secrets.

Consecrate is 4 mana and Exploding Trap is 2 mana. They do the same exact thing. Except that Exploding Trap is much worse than Consecrate because like all traps it can be played around and you don't use it on the turn you place it.

A trap in Cone of Cold form would be even easier to play around. If you have 3 minions then you would never get more than 2 of your minions frozen.

Putting Mad Scientist into the equation is unfair because now you are adding in another card for combo purposes. It's like saying "man comboing Cone of Cold with Doomsayer means freeze plus INFINITE damage on 3 creatures!" Plus Mad Scientist itself is a terribly overpowered card as it is.

Lol wut guys. Mage card Duplicate bugged, confirmed. Had it active, 3 different minions died, never activated. They were normal minions too, Snowchugger, and Knife Thrower. I know it doesn't discriminate because I've used it to dupe Legendary cards many times.

Did said minions die during the mage's turn? Secrets only activate on the opponent's turn so if they kill them off on their turn, it will not activate.

egruntz

shelaughz
The cost of regular spells don't apply the same to secrets.

Consecrate is 4 mana and Exploding Trap is 2 mana. They do the same exact thing. Except that Exploding Trap is much worse than Consecrate because like all traps it can be played around and you don't use it on the turn you place it.

A trap in Cone of Cold form would be even easier to play around. If you have 3 minions then you would never get more than 2 of your minions frozen.

Putting Mad Scientist into the equation is unfair because now you are adding in another card for combo purposes. It's like saying "man comboing Cone of Cold with Doomsayer means freeze plus INFINITE damage on 3 creatures!" Plus Mad Scientist itself is a terribly overpowered card as it is.

You're not taking into account the value it would have for the class. Freezing Trap is strong enough as it is because it stalls the opponent considerably. Hunter's class itself is about aggression, and anything that delays the opponent's ability to respond is a considerable factor. Hunter's only tools for freezing minions are Frost Elemental and spare parts, from what I know, neither of which are reliable or entirely effective for his class.

Secrets by nature can be played around. That's just how they operate, and it's the intent of the mechanic anyway. It doesn't make them worse than spells, necessarily. You have to weigh the pros and cons. Opponents can work around secrets, yes, but secrets allow you to make moves on your opponent's turn, which largely disrupt their manner of playing their hand and board.

A trap like this for Hunter would be about stall and tempo. Cheap spell (potentially free) to delay a large chunk of your opponent's board. If it's the early game, that will usually mean their entire board.

Not all cards have to be extremely strong. That's not necessarily good design.

EDIT: That said it could probably use something a little more. Deal 2 damage to the minion attacking and freeze it, only freeze the others? IDK. I'm thinking of the current meta with all these 2/1 drops. Seems like an easy way to clear the board and provide stall utility if they're at higher health. Seems like a lot for 2 mana IDK.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I've always wanted to see a legendary spell. I remember reading an idea that sounded cool to me. It was something like

Shaman Spell
10 Mana (10 overload)

Summon an Earth, Water, Unbound, and Fire Elemental.

The ultimate in all in cards.

Better yet, summon Neptulon, Al'Akir, Ragnaros, and Therazane.

Secrets only activate on your opponent's turn.

Sblargh

Banned
Priest secrets 1 mana:

When a minion attacks, both that minion and its target are immune to damage until the end of the opponent's next turn.

When an enemy minion dies, it gains: deathrattle: restore 5 health to the enemy hero (replace other deathrattle effect if one already exists)

When an enemy casts a spell, if it would cause damage, it heals instead.

When the hero is attacked, it gains mana crystals equal to the damage received for the next turn only.

I'm gonna post a few desired cards.

Rogue weapon
3cc

3/2 weapon
Combo: Add 1 durability

Or

Rogue spell
6cc

Summon a 4 attack, 3 durability dagger.

Or

Rogue weapon
2cc

2/2

Draw a card after killing an enemy minion (hoped for something like this in GVG).

But seriously, I hope rogues get a cool weapon. I have said this every expansion, lol. Sword oil is pretty cool, but cogmaster's wrench seems lame (a rogue using a wrench!?).

Also for paladin, I'd like to see some kind of proc heal minion. But it needs to be different than both armorsmith and mistress of pain, so maybe it heals when minions die.

Hunter Secret / 2 Mana
Ice Trap
When an enemy minion attacks, freeze it and minions adjacent to it.

Yyyyyup. Really want it.

Just what we need. Another trap that lets hunters stall forever while hero powering people down :p

_DrMario_

Desperately need one of my 2 assassinate. Have Sprint in hand and 12 cards left in deck.

Use Sprint. No luck. Next turn, use Fan Of Knives and Shiv. Game tells me to get fucked.

5 fucking cards left in the deck and my 2 assassinate are in there. Fuck you, you fucking piece of fucking shit game.

KePoW

Banned
I've never played cards games before, but you guys are krazy for getting so upset at a casual laid-back game like this. That's funny... I cannot relate to raging

shas'la

Played a mill rogue last night, with double vanish, brew masters and shadow step he must have played cold light oracle about 7 times!

ViviOggi

Boom in arena is UTTER

FUCKING

BULLSHIT

Second fucking time this week I've had that pos card turn some trashlord's 100% loss into an ez win

So goddamn tired of this awful mode, fourth shit draft in a row, busting my ass staying ahead getting the value but SURPRISE everything you've done this game is meaningless due to this balanced card I drafted

FeD.nL

I'm done. This game is literally Fifty Shades of Blizzard. So much fucking bullshit, of course the hunter you play gets his one in 3 chance of getting exact lethal while you had him dead. And sure the druid you play gets his perfect ramp hand you like it that way don't you, oh you think you finally stabilized well here have a topdeck force of nature because we love you so much. Oh you play Rag, you silly boy, you weren't expecting him to hit the 50% chance to win the game, here let me show you how a real Rag does it.

Four fucking games in a row. And of course as the ignorant person I am I keep on playing tied behind my computer.. Still excited for the new things they will show me tonight.

mxgt

Banned
I'm done. This game is literally Fifty Shades of Blizzard. So much fucking bullshit, of course the hunter you play gets his one in 3 chance of getting exact lethal while you had him dead. And sure the druid you play gets his perfect ramp hand you like it that way don't you, oh you think you finally stabilized well here have a topdeck force of nature because we love you so much. Oh you play Rag, you silly boy, you weren't expecting him to hit the 50% chance to win the game, here let me show you how a real Rag does it.

Four fucking games in a row. And of course as the ignorant person I am I keep on playing tied behind my computer.. Still excited for the new things they will show me tonight.

I used to get mad but now I dont even really care if I lose, I just move onto the next one or take a break if I feel like I'm starting to tilt.

Played against a paladin yesterday who used muster on Turn 3, coin quartermaster on 4, quartermaster on 5. Perfect draws, I have no answer and lose immediately. Shit happens, and I'm sure you've got super lucky a lot of times as well.

Fuck face hunters though. Wouldn't even care if the class got removed from the game.

Boom in arena is UTTER

FUCKING

BULLSHIT

Second fucking time this week I've had that pos card turn some trashlord's 100% loss into an ez win

So goddamn tired of this awful mode, fourth shit draft in a row, busting my ass staying ahead getting the value but SURPRISE everything you've done this game is meaningless due to this balanced card I drafted

Boom is bullshit in general and I think it's only a matter of time before he's nerfed (way too late, for that matter)

Was playing constructed yesterday as mage and I had boom on board vs priest, after some trades I had 2 bots left vs a 2 hp blademaster. Run first bot in, hits priest in face for 4. Priest is now at 5 hp. Run 2nd bot into blademaster instead of pinging, hits priest in face for 4. I ping his last 1 hp for the win.

Pure skill.

Staring Zagara? I'd play it.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I've never played cards games before, but you guys are krazy for getting so upset at a casual laid-back game like this. That's funny... I cannot relate to raging

I'm like you Kepow, I just play to have fun. My card collection is horrible, I can't get better than rank 17, I've never had more than 4 arena wins, but I still play and do my dailies to get more cards because hey it's a challenge. I lose so much more than I win, I face legend players even up at rank 20, hell I only own two non-Naxx legend cards, and one of them is fucking The Beast!!!!!

In the end, the game is fun and well done. Random chance says you will lose now and then, it's just part of a card game with random draws, that's the nature of it.

ViviOggi

Boom is bullshit in general and I think it's only a matter of time before he's nerfed (way too late, for that matter)

hearthstone_screenshoutohz.png

I. Am. Ready!

ViviOggi

Four drafts in a row I got precisely one of the good class cards and 29 mediocre to shit minions, pretty much like playing an f2p deck in legend

That one draft I was offered seven Corruptions

Think "at least it won't get any worse"

Pick Paladin and the only remotely draftable spells are Divine Favor and Blessing of Wisdom
smile.gif

Not a single weapon
smile.gif
smile.gif

First game against a literal Mech Mage
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

gutshot

Currently 9-0 in arena with a mage deck that has no flamestrikes, polymorphs or blizzards and only one fireball.

Mage really is broken in arena.

This Mage just got a Grommash with an Unstable Portal for exact lethal.

This fucking game.

last night i had a mage opponent pull a mal'ganis. thankfully i had been sitting on BGH for almost the entire game. i won handily.

i've been playing this. it's pretty good in the current meta because of all the mages and hunters.

o0jjI0K.png

as for nerfing dr boom i don't think he's super op. just a tad op. i'd like to see a small nerf like making the bots do 1-3 damage.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
So I'm still in the n00b phase. As I posted a week or two ago I finally got all of the Naxx content.

My current plan is if I buy a pack I buy standard, and then if I feel like trying arena one time every week or two I'll get my goblin cards that way.

Am I better off hording dust for legendaries or doing what I have been and supplementing my main classes I like to play with non legendaries I don't have yet?

Like I just used some dust on Kezan Mystic and Unstable Portal.

Thanks GAF from a Hearthstone n00b.

2 water ellies. Maybe that is the secret to the deck's success.

curving out well and playing around common cards is all you really need in arena. whenever i don't have many quality 2, 3 and 4 drops is when my deck does poorly. and water elemental is about the best 4 drop you can get.

CoolOff

So I'm still in the n00b phase. As I posted a week or two ago I finally got all of the Naxx content.

My current plan is if I buy a pack I buy standard, and then if I feel like trying arena one time every week or two I'll get my goblin cards that way.

Am I better off hording dust for legendaries or doing what I have been and supplementing my main classes I like to play with non legendaries I don't have yet?

Rares and the few usable epics are way more important than most legendaries. I could see an argument being made for Dr. Balance, Harrison, Sylvanas having to be sorted out first, but that depends on how many rares and epics you're missing. Don't save up for class legendaries unless you know that you're gonna play a certain archetype a lot.

Tacitus_

As long as you're not gunning for something like a wallet warrior, focus on filling the must haves - rares and epics - and finish off the deck with legendaries when you've got the basics.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
As long as you're not gunning for something like a wallet warrior, focus on filling the must haves - rares and epics - and finish off the deck with legendaries when you've got the basics.

I mainly like to play Mage with Shaman or Lock as an alt.

embalm

Priest Cards:
5-mana minion, 3/3

Draw 2 cards, both cards become Thoughtsteal[/I]

(Because thoughtsteal is the most fun thing about playing Priest)

I really like the idea of a minion that grants Thoughtsteal as a card. Priests really have weak draw and are way too dependent on Northshire.

I would rather see the mechanic work like Webspinner or Mech-bear-cat.

Sblargh

Banned
I really like the idea of a minion that grants Thoughtsteal as a card. Priests really have weak draw and are way too dependent on Northshire.

I would rather see the mechanic work like Webspinner or Mech-bear-cat.

Acolyte of Pain + Blessing of Velen keep the cards flowing wonderfully (provided he isn't instaremoved by something).

If you have a healer and an acolyte of pain at the same time and the opponent is not being able to remove them, your problem actually becomes too many cards on hand.

embalm

Acolyte of Pain + Blessing of Velen keep the cards flowing wonderfully (provided he isn't instaremoved by something).

If you have a healer and an acolyte of pain at the same time and the opponent is not being able to remove them, your problem actually becomes too many cards on hand.
An acolyte of pain and Choosen is a lot of resources dedicated to card draw. It's also a weak board presence for 2 cards and 6 mana. If you don't get off the combo then priest doesn't have a way to activate the Cultist on their own either.
If you run that with Northshires it's 4 cards dedicated to draw and no bodies.

Having options are good, but none of them fit well into priest. I guess it all comes back to them being so combo dependent.

Zemm

Yeah but imagine people in actual tournaments with big money on the line. The game is a horrible competitive one imo. I love watching tournament streams just for that reason of seeing people get fucked over with $20k on the line. Good times.

FeD.nL

My wishlist:

- Mechwarper nerf
- Goblin Blastmage nerf
- Blade Flurry reworked
- Hunter... well where to start

Any mention of these would be great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom