• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT2| Created by Unstable Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tacitus_

"Cheap" decks like Face Hunter and Mech Mage are "problematic" because they lessen how card draw RNG affects them (especially Face Hunter). If you're playing control against these decks (and the same type of problem was apparent against Zoo), you're essentially SOL if your 2-3 removal options aren't drawn. You don't necessarily lose to skill, you lose to RNG. When a deck has multiple options for turn 1-2-3 and you have a grand total of 4 to 6 removal cards, you're in trouble. Obviously, you have to adjust to the meta - if you fight a lot of Face Hunter and Mech Mage, you need to add in more and more removal and taunts, but then that screws you up if you play against anything else. That's the big problem right now, really, not to mention the fact that some classes just do not have the removal options that others have.

So you can't make a deck that beats both early game and late game?

QQ

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Oh my god did someone just call deck consistency a problem now.
cBj1LTf.png

First match against paladin, he plays tirion on a board with sylvanas already on it! wtf is he thinking. So he uses coolant on sylvanas. I am running 2 reincarnates so I am guaranteed to get tirion since he has 2 minions. But I try to save one by hopefully rolling spellpower to earthshock his minibot. Fails. So then I just reincarnate once... miss that die roll. So I end up reincarnating twice to get tirion. Totally worth it of course.

My bad rng was also shared by him when he MCT'd and got his minibot back and not tirion or sylvanas.

He ended up conceding thinking I had lethal when I earthshocked his sludge belcher, played, alakir, and was about to play a +1 attack (not rockbiter which would have been lethal) on alakir. Granted, I had crackle to finish him off but a board of sylvanas, tirion, and alakir... so I guess he felt pretty screwed either way.

But seriously, who in their right mind plays tirion on a board with sylvanas? It didn't even seem like he had a silence.

edit:
Casual but legendary card back.

I had a Handlock play Sylvanas + Power Overwhelming when I had Tirion out. It turns out that Warlocks can attack with weapons twice in the same turn if they have a weapon equipped and then play Jaraxxus after the first attack. I still won because I had a ton of Recruits out that had been buffed by Quartermaster, but I had no idea that you could do that.

Aylinato

I had a Handlock play Sylvanas + Power Overwhelming when I had Tirion out. It turns out that Warlocks can attack with weapons twice in the same turn if they have a weapon equipped and then play Jaraxxus after the first attack. I still won because I had a ton of Recruits out that had been buffed by Quartermaster, but I had no idea that you could do that.

It is technically two different heros...

So messed up... I am wrecking a hunter with the shaman deck, about to KT + reincarnate... and out of shredder pops mana wraith...

Like a 1/70 chance to win the game due to rng... he gets it.

Haunted

I think knife juggler is the one card that always disappoints me

I guess it does soak up removal
I can't think of a non-epic or legendary that has provided me with so much combo potential and solid extra over so many different classes.

Such a good card.

what does "soaking up removal" even mean

There is so much slang for this game, I never know what anybody's talking about in this thread. None of these terms actually exist in-game. No cards refer to a "face hunter" or "zoo warlock." It's like you have to watch streams of other people playing (boring) to know any of this stuff.

My wife has probably put around 300+ hours into this game and she would most certainly give me a blank stare if I asked her if she prefers an aggro deck or a control deck. Where do you learn this stuff in the first place?

egruntz

shelaughz

There is so much slang for this game, I never know what anybody's talking about in this thread. None of these terms actually exist in-game. No cards refer to a "face hunter" or "zoo warlock." It's like you have to watch streams of other people playing (boring) to know any of this stuff.

My wife has probably put around 300+ hours into this game and she would most certainly give me a blank stare if I asked her if she prefers an aggro deck or a control deck. Where do you learn this stuff in the first place?

Gaming lingo and jargon isn't specific to Hearthstone, my man. You'll run into this with any community or fanbase. Melee is pretty crazy with their terms. Hearthstone's in comparison are very simple and easy to grasp.

"Soak up removal."

Pretty easy to figure out. What is removal? Removing a minion/threat from the board using spells. Soak up? Same idea as baiting/wasting. Basically, if the opponent is using a removal spell on a card like Knife Juggler, which is two mana, that's a good bait or soaking of their removal spells. It makes it safer for your later game threats.

It's relevant because some spells in this game flat out destroy minions for very little mana cost. In other cases, like Fireball, you'll be glad to see that used on a Yeti or other relatively cheap minion with threatening stat distribution. It's about value.

Agro? Aggression. Agro deck = deck that goes for the hurt, doesn't wait it out and play the control game.

Zoo is just an infestation of minions. "Zoolock" is Warlock decks using the zoo archetype. Just cheap minion after minion. Mech Mage is practically zoo, really.

And so on.

JesseZao

Card game jargon. If you didn't play other card games, you just pick it up from others who did and are discussing the game online. Pretty much the same thing for any community over time.

Most hearthstone slang is rather straightforward. You just have to work out the phrase. Removal is a spell/minion/tool that clears a threat from the board. If you got the other player to make a low value play with their expensive removal, you "soaked" it up.

KJ is probably my most despised card from the classic set. I understand its strength and why it is ran, but hate the RNG that accompanies it as well as the high amount of value it plays into combos ran by several decks.

TimeKillr

So you can't make a deck that beats both early game and late game?

QQ

No, no, no, and that's not what I'm saying.

To be fair, I have no problem with face hunter, mech mage, zoo, etc. Anything, really, I don't give a shit, because I know these decks all have counters.

Obviously I know you can't make a deck that beats everything - that'd be funny actually. It's just that RNG in this game, due to multiple factors tied to the game's design, tends to favor fast decks with a low curve (not to mention the quest system which heavily favors you winning games quickly, but that's something else entirely).

I can't think of a non-epic or legendary that has provided me with so much combo potential and solid extra over so many different classes.

Such a good card.

The fact that it could always hit face and you'd almost never want it to hit face is what's really frustrating about the card; there's always atleast a fairly good chance that you don't get the proc you want. Getting a large amount of damage as a bonus for unleash the hounds or trading a creeper is great, it's just really hard for me because I get greedy and want to use the card strategically.

It does create potential for tremendously beneficial RNG, which freaks people right out. I just have a hard time judging when you put it down just to force my opponent to remove it or when to try to go for big plays.

To be fair, I have no problem with face hunter, mech mage, zoo, etc. Anything, really, I don't give a shit, because I know these decks all have counters.

Obviously I know you can't make a deck that beats everything - that'd be funny actually. It's just that RNG in this game, due to multiple factors tied to the game's design, tends to favor fast decks with a low curve (not to mention the quest system which heavily favors you winning games quickly, but that's something else entirely).
I can't really recount the history of Hearthstone deck tiers off the top of my head, but I'm fairly sure the times when Control was top were some of the worst times in the meta. The exceptions might be the last 2 times unleash the hounds was broken.

Gaming lingo and jargon isn't specific to Hearthstone, my man. You'll run into this with any community or fanbase. Melee is pretty crazy with their terms. Hearthstone's in comparison are very simple and easy to grasp.

"Soak up removal."

Pretty easy to figure out. What is removal? Removing a minion/threat from the board using spells. Soak up? Same idea as baiting/wasting. Basically, if the opponent is using a removal spell on a card like Knife Juggler, which is two mana, that's a good bait or soaking of their removal spells. It makes it safer for your later game threats.

It's relevant because some spells in this game flat out destroy minions for very little mana cost. In other cases, like Fireball, you'll be glad to see that used on a Yeti or other relatively cheap minion with threatening stat distribution. It's about value.

Agro? Aggression. Agro deck = deck that goes for the hurt, doesn't wait it out and play the control game.

Zoo is just an infestation of minions. "Zoolock" is Warlock decks using the zoo archetype. Just cheap minion after minion. Mech Mage is practically zoo, really.

And so on.
Gotcha, thanks!

Makes sense because I do already use that strategy...everyone freaks out at Micro Machine so that might be another good example of trying to soak up removal.

Sounds like my main deck is a 'control warlock.' Lots of demons and fun spells that keep me alive for a really long time.

Tacitus_

Tbh, outside of aggro decks being better for quests / ranking up, I don't see a problem in the current metagame. Every class and archetype is represented - well except priests - but fuck those thieving bastards anyway.

KePoW

Banned
Tbh, outside of aggro decks being better for quests / ranking up, I don't see a problem in the current metagame

Exactly, I love the face Hunter deck you showed me! It's helped a new player like me win so many more games now, much more fun

I've never played any card games before so I'm casual and don't want a complex deck or complex thinking in games, that's no fun to me

I feel like with some work I can get this shaman reincarnate deck to be alright (58.3% winrate over 13 games, only played 2 with version 1.1 though which made a lot of changes).

I'm not really feeling crackle though. I guess just bad RNG since every time I used it (except once when I hit 7 when it didn't matter) I lost the coin flip and it was just bad. I even lost several coin flips in a row with shaman rng, and still won some of those matches.

I'll actually post the list though and both versions in a minute:

reinc.png

I was finding that in a lot of my matches I was building a pretty strong board so naturally my thoughts go to bloodlust. In the match that I drew it, it won me the game easily.

I am running 2x reincarnate which is something I didn't see other lists doing since it is quite situational and the deck doesn't have a lot of draw. But so far I am digging it. The 1.1 version prob needs more draw than the 1.2 version simply because 2x zombie chow and 1x bloodlust was added, but cutting both loot hoarders for more impactful card draw should help. I might cut blood lust for a second azure drake after further testing.

I feel like with some work I can get this shaman reincarnate deck to be alright (58.3% winrate over 13 games, only played 2 with version 1.1 though which made a lot of changes).

I'm not really feeling crackle though. I guess just bad RNG since every time I used it (except once when I hit 7 when it didn't matter) I lost the coin flip and it was just bad. I even lost several coin flips in a row with shaman rng, and still won some of those matches.

I'll actually post the list though and both versions in a minute:

reinc.png

I was finding that in a lot of my matches I was building a pretty strong board so naturally my thoughts go to bloodlust. In the match that I drew it, it won me the game easily.

I am running 2x reincarnate which is something I didn't see other lists doing since it is quite situational and the deck doesn't have a lot of draw. But so far I am digging it. The 1.1 version prob needs more draw than the 1.2 version simply because 2x zombie chow and 1x bloodlust was added, but cutting both loot hoarders for more impactful card draw should help. I might cut blood lust for a second azure drake after further testing.

What do you combo reincarnate with? KT + anything, Sylvanas, and I guess Haunted Creepers? Seems like that's not a lot of options to combo with, so I'd really just stick to a single Reincarnate and toss back in a Crackle... I really think the potential for extra reach from Crackle + Thalnos/Spell Power Totem/Azure Drake can change a game for you. Alternatively, throw in a Doomhammer instead of the Crackle which can help clear some small stuff or do some nasty burst with a Rockbiter.

What do you combo reincarnate with? KT + anything, Sylvanas, and I guess Haunted Creepers? Seems like that's not a lot of options to combo with, so I'd really just stick to a single Reincarnate and toss back in a Crackle... I really think the potential for extra reach from Crackle + Thalnos/Spell Power Totem/Azure Drake can change a game for you. Alternatively, throw in a Doomhammer instead of the Crackle which can help clear some small stuff or do some nasty burst with a Rockbiter.

Don't forget I can reincarnate alakir for a 2 mana fireball (pyroblast if flametongue totem is present).

I just felt like going more all-in on a reincarnate strategy. After all, I wanted a reincarnate for a sylvanas and KT at anyway, alakir if neither of those work out. I think I can make it work and I'll probably keep trying next time I feel like some shaman.

Kettch

I'd say your deck is really begging for eggs. I played reincarnate to legend a few times pre-GvG and the eggs were so helpful as an early game target for reincarnate when it's otherwise a dead card. I'd probably cut a chow and...maybe one of the 5 drops.

I'd say your deck is really begging for eggs. I played reincarnate to legend a few times pre-GvG and the eggs were so helpful as an early game target for reincarnate when it's otherwise a dead card. I'd probably cut a chow and...maybe one of the 5 drops.

Eggs is a good idea I'll have to think about next time. Thx for the suggestion.

Zemm

I'm playing control hunter and it's fun whilst not being rush centric (don't think I'll ever find aggro decks fun to play), much more competitive/viable than priest which is by far my favourite class but it's just not great in this meta, would be nice if it could come off shit tier for a while.

Tacitus_

Exactly, I love the face Hunter deck you showed me! It's helped a new player like me win so many more games now, much more fun

I've never played any card games before so I'm casual and don't want a complex deck or complex thinking in games, that's no fun to me

I6AuXoP.gif

I just spent about all my luck for a week into a single play. The hated opponent priest has 7 minions on board. A bunch of crap basically, some stolen from me, plus sylvanas.

If I knew my next card would be lightning storm, I would have waited a turn. But I felt the chances would not get much better. So I do the sylvanas + reincarnate play and I get his sylvanas!

Then next turn I get spell power totem and lightning storm, I pop his egg with the storm, kill his dark cultist with his stolen sylvanas, which buffs the nerubian spider to 4/7 before it gets stolen by sylvanas.

Seriously though, I hate playing against priest with shaman so I don't even feel bad for the guy losing a 1/7 dice roll, especially since earlier in the day I lost a game because mana wraith came out of shredder which prevented KT + reincarnate.

dralla

I used Thoughtsteal on this Priest. Stole their Sylvanas. Then they played there's the next turn and I Mindcontrolled it. Double Sylvanas Feels good, man

Dahbomb

Oh my god did someone just call deck consistency a problem now.
cBj1LTf.png
Sounds like something Kirblar would say. I asked him why does HS have so much RNG and he said that due to the nature of the game, if there wasn't any RNG (minus the RNG from card drawing of course) in the game then most games would play out the same way and would create a larger gap between top players and non top players.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
i4Suljo.jpg

This just happened to me, i had a full board and he only had a rag...he used brawl and rag lived for an exact lethal. Honestly i wasn't even mad that's just amazing
fucking hacks
Not pictured the time i brought him down to 1HP, damn this just sucks.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Why are so many people that play this game such sniveling, immature shits?

The taunt system is very much catered to assholes and snide remarks. It's just kind of dumb.

Why be so vindictive and bitchy when you're playing a fucking digital card game? Lol

johnsmith

remember me

The taunt system is very much catered to assholes and snide remarks. It's just kind of dumb.

Why be so vindictive and bitchy when you're playing a fucking digital card game? Lol

L2Squelch

clav

Squelch should be a default option just like muting kids playing Call of Duty or Halo.

KePoW

Banned

By taunt system... you surely can't mean the limited 6 emotes?? If so, what's the big fucking deal about those? It's not even close to a full chat system which would be much worse

I love the 6 emotes

wow guess I should have avoided trying to do my dailies tonight. Casual was just legend cardback after legend cardback. I should have just conceded at the beginning of every match instead of wasting 3 hours of my life to get exactly 1 win. Sure my decks suck but I always manage to get my dailies done in a reasonable amount of time. I even stooped so low as to make a face hunter deck to get my only win of the night. I hate playing hunter. When ramming your head against a brick wall makes you miserable that's when you need to just stop playing and go whine about it on forums.

Casual MMR is bullshit. Sodium levels are at an all time high.

I'll be back for my fix tomorrow afternoon.

tylerf

That feel when you get punished for leaving a 3/3 on board with 27 health vs oil rogue and they do 28 damage in one turn for lethal....

Dahbomb

Tomorrow might be the unveiling of the new Hearthstone expansion and in the spirit of fun I ask everyone to suggest one card that they would want to see from the expansion (can use mechanics not seen in the game yet).

My idea:

Priest minion
4 mana cost
3 attack, 6 defense
Ability: Gain Taunt if the enemy has two or more minions

Basically this card is meant to cover two weaknesses of the Priest:

*No good 4 drop option that Priest can drop on that turn.
*Situational options to counter aggro.

The high health makes it a great combination for the Priests and a great pick in Arena as it's basically a Water Elemental but instead of Freeze it can have Taunt.

Nothing too exciting, just a very solid minion.

Tomorrow might be the unveiling of the new Hearthstone expansion and in the spirit of fun I ask everyone to suggest one card that they would want to see from the expansion (can use mechanics not seen in the game yet).

My idea:

Priest minion
4 mana cost
3 attack, 6 defense
Ability: Gain Taunt if the enemy has two or more minions

Basically this card is meant to cover two weaknesses of the Priest:

*No good 4 drop option that Priest can drop on that turn.
*Situational options to counter aggro.

The high health makes it a great combination for the Priests and a great pick in Arena as it's basically a Water Elemental but instead of Freeze it can have Taunt.

Nothing too exciting, just a very solid minion.

Priest Cards:

9-mana legendary, stats don't matter

At the start of your next turn, swap health totals with your opponent

(Because why the fuck not. If your opponent doesn't kill it you get to swap health, if you don't manage to kill him next turn you'll just swap health again)

5-mana minion, 3/3

Draw 2 cards, both cards become Thoughtsteal

(Because thoughtsteal is the most fun thing about playing Priest)

egruntz

shelaughz
Hunter Secret / 2 Mana
Ice Trap
When an enemy minion attacks, freeze it and minions adjacent to it.

Yyyyyup. Really want it.

johnsmith

remember me
Aww yiss, 3k gold saved up. I'll be ready for whatever they announce tomorrow even if they do a surprise release next tuesday. Which is what they need to do if they want people to spend real money. Teasing cards for months or weeks gives people too much time to save up gold.

Dahbomb

Hunter Secret / 2 Mana
Ice Trap
When an enemy minion attacks, freeze it and minions adjacent to it.

Yyyyyup. Really want it.
I don't think this card would be very good. It's basically a Cone of Cold except that it doesn't do any damage and you can't actually position it yourself to make it most optimum.

If it did 1 damage to those minions then it might be more competitive.

Aww yiss, 3k gold saved up. I'll be ready for whatever they announce tomorrow even if they do a surprise release next tuesday. Which is what they need to do if they want people to spend real money. Teasing cards for months or weeks gives people too much time to save up gold.
I am doing the same, got 1K gold saved up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom