• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT2| Created by Unstable Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.

G.ZZZ

Druid is the bullshittiest class. Grow, innervate AoL, AoL, and then "oh you don't have a taunt on board? gg 20 damage from nowhere" .

Cat Party

Druid is the bullshittiest class. Grow, innervate AoL, AoL, and then "oh you don't have a taunt on board? gg 20 damage from nowhere" .
How often do druids get that draw though?

Every class has a dream draw. Cogmaster, Zap o matic, flametongue totem, and rock biter let a Shaman do a total of 24 damage by turn 3 without the coin.

I don't see much power creep in the new cards. Sure 3/5 on turn 3 is strong, but technically tinkertown technician is stronger gets you a 4/4 plus a spare part, so equal stats and part of a card.

Dahbomb

I honestly don't see any of these cards being too insane except for that 3/3 card that summons other 3/3. It's basically meant to be played in a Warrior deck to combo with Bouncing Blades and Whirlwinds.. would be pretty easy to get a full board of him.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I don't see much power creep in the new cards. Sure 3/5 on turn 3 is strong, but technically tinkertown technician is stronger gets you a 4/4 plus a spare part, so equal stats and part of a card.

In general I expect the dragon synergy cards to be relatively powerful, but not insane, since the whole idea is to get the dragons in play.

The only way you can have quite a few 9 cost cards in your deck is either by suctioning them onto the board (already a theme of demons) or by making your early game better if you get one stuck in your hand.

Murlocs are about cheap swarm creatures, pirates are about weapons, demons are about paying a high price for better creatures, both mechs and beasts are about having a unit on the board (their cost structure is generally the difference), and now dragons are about having a unit in your hand.

Dahbomb

Grim Patron is too expensive to get much use. 5 mana for a 3/3 is god awful.
The card is useless on turn 5, it's meant to be comboed with other self damage cards.

ie. You have Acolyte of Pain on board vs an enemy minion, you drop this card then Bouncing Blade. Suddenly you have a bunch of 3/3s on the board plus some card draw.
Or you can combo with Death's Bite last hit or with Whirlwind.

Yeah it's gimmicky but it gives Bouncing Blade some purpose in life.

cackhyena

It has to be meant for combos where you inflict small damage on your own dudes. Rogues and Warrior come to mind. Pinging with Mage as well. Or is that card class specific? I wasn't paying close attention.

johnsmith

remember me
Yeah the combos are obvious, they just won't see much use. They come way too late and do too little to be good enough, when control warrior already has other great win conditions.

Tacitus_

Math warrior could use it. If you can get two on the board + warsong and then whirlwind, you get a bunch of charging minions.. tho they would need to fix warsong first.

Warriors have lots of ways to trigger them, plus it synergizes with Armorsmith. You can equip a Death's Bite on turn 4, kill a minion, and then drop Grim Patron on turn 5 to get a 3/2 and a 3/3. If either of those survive to turn 6, you can get some absurd plays with Whirlwind, Bouncing Blade, Inner Rage, and Cruel Task Master. It might actually give Warriors a reason to include Rampage. They'll also help with meeting the conditions for Crush.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
I don't think grim patron has a place in current control warrior. I feel like if it did, you would already be seeing frothing berserker.

If this card has a place in the meta, I think it would be for an enrage focused warrior.

Rapstah

Maybe Grim Patron is better for Druid? Druid can randomly get it out two or three turns before any other class, at which point you can use it for normal control for a while until you get five mana's worth of value out of it. I guess Druid can't damage it except with the card draw version of Wrath, but maybe that's fine.

In general I expect the dragon synergy cards to be relatively powerful, but not insane, since the whole idea is to get the dragons in play.

The only way you can have quite a few 9 cost cards in your deck is either by suctioning them onto the board (already a theme of demons) or by making your early game better if you get one stuck in your hand.

Murlocs are about cheap swarm creatures, pirates are about weapons, demons are about paying a high price for better creatures, both mechs and beasts are about having a unit on the board (their cost structure is generally the difference), and now dragons are about having a unit in your hand.

I am expecting the bulk of the new dragons to be around 1-6 cost and probably most within 3-6. I would guess we see a 1 drop dragon, 3 drop, and a 6 drop at bare minimum. Maybe a 2 and 5.

Imagine if it proc'd even if the minion died. Then it would basically be a 3/3 you can't kill with damage. That would be insane.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I am expecting the bulk of the new dragons to be around 1-6 cost and probably most within 3-6. I would guess we see a 1 drop dragon, 3 drop, and a 6 drop at bare minimum. Maybe a 2 and 5.

I suspect there will be some cheaper dragons, but I suspect the goal is to still allow you to have a lot of expensive cards in there.

Nefarion is 9 already from this set.

Ben Brode also implied on twitter that the 3 cost dragon is an adventure mode only card: https://twitter.com/bdbrode/status/573888138373812224

ViviOggi

When you get enough mana to play and combo Grim Patron you don't want to spend it on getting a bunch of 3/3s and 3/2s. Maybe it'll see play in some kind of Enrage Warrior but even then it's just too clunky I think.

Maybe Grim Patron is better for Druid? Druid can randomly get it out two or three turns before any other class, at which point you can use it for normal control for a while until you get five mana's worth of value out of it. I guess Druid can't damage it except with the card draw version of Wrath, but maybe that's fine.
A 3/3 won't let you control shit. If you coin AND innervate it out that's still a turn 2 play, and any deck has the tools to deal with that.

cackhyena

Plenty of spells can put a stop to it early, though. Very situational if you aren't talking combos right out of the gate, I think.

I suspect there will be some cheaper dragons, but I suspect the goal is to still allow you to have a lot of expensive cards in there.

Ben Brode also implied on twitter that the 3 cost dragon is an adventure mode only card: https://twitter.com/bdbrode/status/573888138373812224

We'll definitely get 1-2 big ones. But I think the rest won't be huge cost since there are already so many high cost dragons.

I didn't actually see the 3cc 8/4 heh

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I feel Dark Iron Skulker is vastly better because you at least do 2 damage to anything that's not hurt, and as a turn 5 drop, that means it should be able to trade with just about anything on the board.

Like even with a Druid of the Claw that's still 2 damage plus a 4/3 on your end.

We'll definitely get 1-2 big ones. But I think the rest won't be huge cost since there are already so many high cost dragons.

Oh yes, I agree.

They had a whelpling appear in multiple promotional art pieces.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

If some of the cards are only in the adventure, that might make some of those leaked ones from before easier to see happen.

Parshias7

Using Innervate to get a 3/3 on turn 3 is pretty bad. Nevermind that your opponent probably has a turn 2 3/2 or a turn 3 3/4 or 4/3 out on the board, which would mean you aren't getting any copies.

I feel Dark Iron Skulker is vastly better because you at least do 2 damage to anything that's not hurt, and as a turn 5 drop, that means it should be able to trade with just about anything on the board.

Oh yes, I agree.

They had a whelpling appear in multiple promotional art pieces.

That card just seems insane. Not sure of how rogue will go after the expansion but that card's value just seems like it can be through the roof against both aggro and control decks. The stats are meh but if healbot works in rogue, I think this will work as well.

squidyj

okay, so if there was an empty board and you play grim patron and mad bomber, what's the expected value for the number of patrons? what's the probability of ending with 3 patrons?

or better, madder bomber.

I want so badly to play someone that pulls off an amazing Grim Patron combo and fills their board with a bunch of 3/3, 3/2, 3/1s on turn 6, then on my turn 6 I coin out a Flamestrike. Aw man it'd feel so good.

embalm

When I first saw the card, I assumed it was going to be part of the "Boss Only" cards in the adventure. It seems like a perfect kind of card that you have to build your deck around that the Naxx adventures had a lot of.

As a real playable card though, I don't see it getting much use. The best deck for it is Warrior, and it would combo well with a turn 4 Death's Bite, but multi-turn combos are difficult to rely on.

The card could cause big problems for aggro & mech decks. They don't generally run board clears and often have Knife Jugglers and Blast Mages that they won't want to proc into a Grim Patron.
As an anti-aggro card it could have a place in some decks, but at 5 mana it comes down pretty late and won't stop anyone from going face.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
When I first saw the card, I assumed it was going to be part of the "Boss Only" cards in the adventure. It seems like a perfect kind of card that you have to build your deck around that the Naxx adventures had a lot of.

As a real playable card though, I don't see it getting much use. The best deck for it is Warrior, and it would combo well with a turn 4 Death's Bite, but multi-turn combos are difficult to rely on.

The card could cause big problems for aggro & mech decks. They don't generally run board clears and often have Knife Jugglers and Blast Mages that they won't want to proc into a Grim Patron.
As an anti-aggro card it could have a place in some decks, but at 5 mana it comes down pretty late and won't stop anyone from going face.

Warrior in general seems to have the most potential with all their damage dealing shit.

Priest could be cool too. PWS to make it a little harder to hit down, and wild pyro shenanigans + circle heal could fill the board fast. Could be way too slow/gimmicky to work though. Also, Priest could use that 5/6 four drop with Cabal or even MC tech.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
okay, so if there was an empty board and you play grim patron and mad bomber, what's the expected value for the number of patrons? what's the probability of ending with 3 patrons?

rough napkin math but I think its around:

0 hits on patron 30%
1 hit on patron 34%
2 hits on some combination of patrons 26%
3 hits on some combination of patrons without killing the original 8.4%
3 hits on the original patron 1.6%

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Don't forget that abilities like Patron's "triggers" in between each bomb, in the same way Mad Bomber against Acolyte of Pain is no bueno.

Each trigger increases the chance that at least one Grim Patron is hit.

Does the new GP spawn right when it gets hit with a bomb before Mad Bomber tosses the next bomb? Because that could get crazy. The second bomb would then be thrown at a board with 2 GPs, giving you a 50/50 shot of producing a 3rd GP, and the 3rd bomb would have a 60% chance of producing a 4th (unless all three bombs hit the original GP, which would kill him on the final hit rather than spawning a new minion). I'm not sure how to calculate those odds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom