• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT2| Created by Unstable Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Pretty sure I said Tides was the best player currently weeks ago.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Kolento had a good win recently but he really needs to play in more tournies. Indeed, he is great.

Zemm

It would be good if there was a league set-up instead of/or alongside the tournaments. It's so hard to say who is definitively the best/better player because of the small amount of games (best of 3 or 5) in tournament play combined with the nature of the game. Kibler is the one that's impressed me the most, all that MGT experience showing up and climbing so fast with not the best cards. A season long league would be so good, like the NASL thing they had going on with SC2 but more players and from all over the world.

So Sunday = warlock and bot day. Sometimes I wonder why I even play this shitty game when it's more fun to watch.

Haunted

It would be good if there was a league set-up instead of/or alongside the tournaments. It's so hard to say who is definitively the best/better player because of the small amount of games (best of 3 or 5) in tournament play combined with the nature of the game. Kibler is the one that's impressed me the most, all that MGT experience showing up and climbing so fast with not the best cards. A season long league would be so good, like the NASL thing they had going on with SC2 but more players and from all over the world.

So Sunday = warlock and bot day. Sometimes I wonder why I even play this shitty game.
I saw Kibler in the VGVN Open and someone mentioned that he was a known quantity in Magic, so I googled a bit about him and started watching some of his stream archives.

It's fun! He's an entertaining and well-spoken guy, and seeing him make sense of Hearthstone's pecularities with his wealth of card gaming experience was interesting. I regularly watch his streams now.

On a related note: here's his stats for his climb to legend for this season (played with priest).

Bwv8mZbIgAAFjjP.jpg:large

Hunter meta indeed.

Zemm

yeah I started watching him last week I think it was and he's quickly become one of my favourite streamers. Comes across well, is very knowledgeable, explains his moves, and is still learning. It's a shame he couldn't make the Blizzcon qualifiers, although he's in this one next weekend which should be good.

Haunted

While we're on the topic, Kibler also wrote what I think is a pretty excellent article (well, the first half contains what was most interesting to me) on the standard "Last Man Standing" system used in most Hearthstone events.

As someone who's never played or followed a competitive card game, I foolishly assumed that Last Man Standing was simply the standard to how every competitive card game is played. Learning that this is not the case opens up an array of possibilities, imo.

A tournament format where you're allowed to play the same deck again (if you think the matchup was fine and you just got unlucky with your draws), or one where you're allowed to bring several decks of the same class (playing Handlock and Zoolock, for example), or - as Kibler promotes and which is apparently standard in Magic - one player using one deck throughout the whole tournament. That last one might not be optimal for Hearthstone yet due to the limited card pool and potentially huge RNG swings in the game, but still.

It's interesting to think about, at least.

Zemm

I linked that the other day but your post is much better. It's a good article. He's right in that the personalities of the players aren't really being shown. Like he says, Amaz should be known as the priest guy, forsen and hyped as the miracle rogues and so on but everyone pretty much plays the same deck and classes. Amaz didn't even play priest. I dunno if one deck per tournament would be good but I wouldn't mind them trying something different to make it less homogeneous.

Haunted

I don't have Prophet Velen or have it seen played all that often.

I just learned the hard way that he not only doubles hero power but also spell damage. He played it behind an Ironbark Protector and subsequently wrecked my board with Wrath and Swipe (all thoughtstolen). I feel like my opinion of the card has changed a little bit.

Tacitus_

Something happened to EU Arena... after the final Naxx wing was released and I got back to doing arena, I went 7+ wins on average. This last week however I'm going 3 wins on average. What the hell.

Haunted

Something happened to EU Arena... after the final Naxx wing was released and I got back to doing arena, I went 7+ wins on average. This last week however I'm going 3 wins on average. What the hell.
I just finished my second 3-3 arena in a row. Feels bad man. :(

Ultrabum

I saw Kibler in the VGVN Open and someone mentioned that he was a known quantity in Magic, so I googled a bit about him and started watching some of his stream archives.

It's fun! He's an entertaining and well-spoken guy, and seeing him make sense of Hearthstone's pecularities with his wealth of card gaming experience was interesting. I regularly watch his streams now.

On a related note: here's his stats for his climb to legend for this season (played with priest).

Bwv8mZbIgAAFjjP.jpg:large

Hunter meta indeed.

Lol at 95 hunter games vs 3 Mage and 7 shamen.

Zemm

109 vs 8 classes combined, 95 vs hunter. I'm only surprised warlock isn't too high and priest is, the two dumbass classes 1st and 2nd obviosuly. I hope Blizzard gets stats like this and fixes the fucking game.

zoukka

People learn to play arena better and better. The chances of a bad start in 12 games is very high so if it just hits early you are crippled. The free riding of newbs in arena is pretty much over now that people know how to play and the MMR works as intended.

That being said, I'm 9-2 with a mage now :b

KingDX

Neo Member

I just learned the hard way that he not only doubles hero power but also spell damage. He played it behind an Ironbark Protector and subsequently wrecked my board with Wrath and Swipe (all thoughtstolen). I feel like my opinion of the card has changed a little bit.

The wording on the cards has always been the biggest issue with Hearthstone. I put a video together about this awhile ago but just uploaded it recently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZpvetm36iU

Really wishing that Blizzard would take some time to clarify what the cards do beforehand instead of relying on trail and error.

Haunted

The wording on the cards has always been the biggest issue with Hearthstone. I put a video together about this awhile ago but just uploaded it recently.

Really wishing that Blizzard would take some time to clarify what the cards do beforehand instead of relying on trail and error.
You said Hurthstone instead of Hearthstone in the first 10 seconds - I almost closed the video then and there.

Gave you the benefit of the doubt because you're a GAFer. :p Don't agree with everything you said, but informative video nonetheless, good job.

KingDX

Neo Member
You said Hurthstone instead of Hearthstone in the first 10 seconds - I almost closed the video then and there.

Gave you the benefit of the doubt because you're a GAFer. :p Don't agree with everything you said, but informative video nonetheless, good job.

Sorry I have a bit of a weird accent. From Chicago, lived in New York for a bit and now I live in Atlanta so sometimes my words seem a bit off because of the butchered dialect in my head. Thanks for sticking with it :)

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Finally!

Golden Chillwind Yeti and Tazdingo.

I can finally rest in piece

I discounted Shadow Madness for a long time for a similar reason. I assumed that if the card I stole had summoning sickness, it still would, but if it didn't, it could attack. I never thought about the Mind Control discrepancy though. Wild Growth at 10 really annoys me because there is no reason innervate should not also provide the same benefit given the wording (not that it should balance wise).

Changing Fan of Knives would actually be a justified decision balance wise too, helps temper miracle with a very slight nerf. And the '2 random targets' damage cards is extra weird because mind control tech specifically states the preconditions required, although it falls into the same 'take control' means different things depending on the card.

Thought-steal should definitely say remaining deck and copy two separate cards, such a simple change it's weird they haven't fixed it. And then you have things like secret order or death-rattle order, which are not explained (is it the most recent played or earliest played, a new player could easily think it goes either way). Or little things like how Avenge won't proc if there's nothing to buff, spellbinder dying from spells that shouldn't otherwise kill it (execute).

shadow madness at least says "gain control" instead of "take control"

but yeah. these are longstanding issues that blizzard doesn't want to address for whatever reason.

Hearthstone terminology is fine. In fact, I believe it is great. I don't think it is a problem that you have to learn the mechanics and nuances of cards when you start.

It really doesn't take "extensive" trial and error.

They've actually talked extensively about their card text design decisions. I don't want to rehash each one it is probably more efficiently to just look it up.

there's something to be said for not having a paragraph of text on a card.

and I think shadow madness being a rare card is important. by the time you actually encounter it you should have a much better grasp of the game and should be able to incorporate new things easier.

kirblar

Hearthstone terminology is fine. In fact, I believe it is great. I don't think it is a problem that you have to learn the mechanics and nuances of cards when you start.

It really doesn't take "extensive" trial and error.

They've actually talked extensively about their card text design decisions. I don't want to rehash each one it is probably more efficiently to just look it up.
They've fixed the most egregious problems already - the discussion during Naxx spoilers improved the game.

Someone mind explaining to me why Undertaker is 1/2 instead of 1/1? What in the actual fuck were they thinking, making it tough to kill without the right spell on turn 1 to 2?

some of the cards are mysterious before you use them and it's antithetical to the pick up n play nature of the game. you don't have to have a paragraph of text to make something like thoughtsteal more understandable at first glance. ultimately it'll become a harder task as the game ages, but it's a pretty simple design oversight for cards to be unclear right now.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I just wish they could add more "fun" to the game while waiting for the opponent to make his move. Is it really that hard to implement right click card -> flips card over and you get the text of the card, the design philosophy behind it, the origin of the create, the artist of the picture, etc.

Zemm

why don't people play more paladin and priest? I'm destroying hunters with both right now. Both have the tools to completely shut down down unless you get a really shitty starting hand.

zoukka

Midrangey priest is pretty bad but control pally is a lot better against hunters. Thoughtsteal is just so bad against hunter.

I'm a hardcore Priest player, and I usually swap out Velen. It's an amazing card if you can keep him alive and get a second one next turn with Faceless Manipulator (heal for 8!), but otherwise in the current meta he's frustrating as he has no Taunt, so people just ignore him and hit your face, which is weak because you wanted Velen to help heal yourself anyway.

But it's really something to get those 4/8 damage/heal Holy Novas or 10 damage Holy Fires (I got this up to 40 once).

another confusing interaction: play faceless manipulator into mirror entity and it copies the resulting creature instead of the base manipulator

Alrus

So I'm a bit confused about Kelthuzad, say my opponents plays it, and I have rag on board. I end my turn and Rag hits kelthuzad, it should stay dead right? (It doesn't by the way, it resurects itself, which I think is kinda bullshit...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom