• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT2| Created by Unstable Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnsmith

remember me
My favorite part of playing control warrior is wrecking face hunters. Grommash into explosive trap, so good. And Ragnaros wrecking shit without triggering their traps.

im having fun playing oil rogue despite not being the most successful with it. a lot of games I feel like I'm winning just by the skin of my teeth.

Also, what archetype deck do you guys feel is the hardest to play right now? I see a lot of complaints about the usual suspects but not so much talk about decks one find S hard to pilot.

Levi

Banned
Played four priests in a row, switched to handlock. Played three face hunters. Back to druid, guess what, I queue into a priest. I would pay 100 dollars to never have to fucking see a piece of shit priest ever again.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Also, what archetype deck do you guys feel is the hardest to play right now? I see a lot of complaints about the usual suspects but not so much talk about decks one find S hard to pilot.

Oil Rogue, Handlock.

Brofist

im having fun playing oil rogue despite not being the most successful with it. a lot of games I feel like I'm winning just by the skin of my teeth.

I find combo druids to still be the most annoying. You know the clock is ticking whenever you play one.

Dahbomb

Hardest decks to play are Oil Rogue, Handlock and the various Mill/Fatigue decks (Mage and Druid). IMO Fatigue decks are the toughest to play because even when you win the game, it will go down to a grueling, long battle where throughout the match one mistake can cost you the game but you won't realize that mistake until at the end when the fatique is being calculated.

Playing Mill decks properly requires a lot of patience and making tough choices. Against good players there will be situations where you have to use cards where they have absolutely no use just so you don't Mill yourself during a combo.

Levi

Banned
Oil Rogue, Handlock.

Oil rogue is fun to watch and I love burst damage, but watching Trump trying to learn it and getting demolished has me hesitant to pick it up. Handlock is really fun but there are too many hunters mid ladder to main it. I don't find it particularly difficult, it's certainly easier to pilot than that demon lock deck that popped up recently. That one is surprising tricky.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Oil Rogue, Handlock.

I don't know about Handlock, playing against it, it feels super formulaic.

Now, what caught me off guard today was a Control Warrior Deck that ran two Unstable Ghouls. Makes since, seems like a powerful alternative if you don't have a huge collection of legendaries to draw from (Though it feels like he just subbed out Armor smith for them)

johnsmith

remember me
Unstable ghouls were pretty standard for a while. I thought about putting them back in, but not sure what I would want to cut for them.

Dahbomb

Handlock also requires patience, card counting and thinking about probabilities about the draws as you are drawing so often. You also need to balance life totals with tapping along with playing minions like Moltens and then healing up with Bots.

Since it's not uncommon to have 8+ cards in hand you usually have a lot of different plays you can make in one turn and what's hard is figuring out which is the best play. Then you have to factor in when to play Jaraxxus if you have it.

You also need to switch up from aggression to control from time to time. Sometimes you have to do some weird stuff like silencing your Ancient Watcher to be aggressive against other control-ish decks or something like a Ramp druid.

Personally I don't think it's as hard to play as some of the Mill/Fatigue decks but it's certainly up there simply because of all the cards you have at one time and that alone creates a lot of potential decisions you have to make at one time.

Sblargh

Banned
Operation saving gold for new adventure failed. Screw not buying new packs when I barely have any cards to begin with. I'll be dumb and just give Blizzard my money.

You won this time, Blizz.

IceMarker

Operation saving gold for new adventure failed. Screw not buying new packs when I barely have any cards to begin with. I'll be dumb and just give Blizzard my money.

You won this time, Blizz.

Saving up gold for Naxx took a month, think I'm going the real money route this time as well.

Yep, I'm joining the gold-savinng bandwagon. I have 1,000 as of today. I will run an occasional Arena since I on average at least break-even, but I mostly will stick to just clearing my dailies.

ViviOggi

If you're still regularly getting new cards from packs buying the adventures for real dosh is better anyway. It's once you've reached the point where a non-epic/legendary pack equals 40 dust that you'll want to save up the gold.

I'll be doing the latter, basically starting from scratch because my last seven drafts were fucking DREADFUL. Been the same with Naxx, usually I make gold from arena but as soon as an expansion is announced Blizzard wipes my reserves asap.

Sblargh

Banned
I'm definetly still getting new cards from packs. For some reason, every day I am surprised by the fact that I have no leper gnome and no abusive sargents. It's like every day I find out, curse my bare-bones collection and then forget it only to be surprised by it again the following day.

Each 40 dust is "ooh, I can craft a new mech".

Dragner

Im trying doing my daily with druid in the casual room with my 22 legendaries + ramp deck just going for funsies. But opp dont want to have fun because legends dont have taunt and just go face. Boooh fun police, who dont like to be playing against the guy that does cho, into tinkmaster overspark into king mukla into stalag and discard a bunch of legends with deathwing?.booh that guys Kappa.

Xanathus

I'm sitting on 6930 gold, and I think I spent somewhere between 3k to 4k gold on GvG packs. You reaaaaaally do not need to spend any real money if you keep up with your dailies.

IceMarker

I'm sitting on 6930 gold, and I think I spent somewhere between 3k to 4k gold on GvG packs. You reaaaaaally do not need to spend any real money if you keep up with your dailies.

I spend gold as I get it from dailies and to save that much right now would take me well over a month.

Xanathus

I spend gold as I get it from dailies and to save that much right now would take me well over a month.

Well then maybe you shouldn't spend gold immediately, especially not on packs. At a point you should consider what you're actually getting out of packs, as someone mentioned earlier once you've amassed most of the commons and rares each pack is basically just 40 dust. You also don't need all of the cards in the game, just the good ones so at a point it's easy to just save money by simply not spending it and dusting the unused cards for the epics/legendaries that are actually good.

There are 25 quests in Hearthstone:

9x "Win 2 games with class #1 or class #2" (40 gold each)
6x Various "cast X spells, play X minions" etc (40 gold each)
9x "Win 5 games with class #1 or class #2" (60 gold each)
1x "Win 7 games in any mode" (100 gold)

So, 25 total quests. They average out to a value of ~50 gold. You can of course re-roll, so if you re-roll every time you get a 40 gold quest (which will be about 60% of the time) you increase your odds of pulling a higher gold quest. Also, if you keep a 40 gold quest in your queue, you cannot have two of the same quest and will also slightly increase your chances of rolling a 60 or 100 gold quest. Let's assume you win 3 games a day to complete your quests earning you 10 additional gold (for the "win 3 games, earn 10 gold" reward that is always available). You should be averaging 60 gold a day if you complete every daily quest and also win 3 games a day. So, in the course of 30 days, you can earn around 1,800 gold if you only win 3 games a day but also complete all of your quests.

To maximize gold gain (assuming you aren't playing any Arena), there is one top strategy; let's imagine you have zero quests right now:

1) You get a new quest at the start of the day. It is a 40 gold quest. You should re-roll it. If you get a 60 gold quest or 100 gold quest, great, you can go ahead and complete it.
2) If you got a 40 gold quest, do not complete it.
3) The next day, you get another quest. If quest #2 is a 40 gold quest, re-roll either of your quests. If the re-rolled quest is 60 gold or higher, you can complete it.
4) If quest #2 is also a 40 gold quest, don't complete either of your 40 gold quests.
5) The third day, you get another quest; your quest log is now full. If quest #3 is a 40 gold quest, re-roll any of your three 40 gold quests.
6) If the re-rolled quest is 60 gold or higher, complete it and do not complete your other two quests which are both worth 40 gold. Tomorrow, you'll be back at the beginning of step #5.
7) If you are at this step, you have three 40 gold quests. Complete whichever one you can without completing the other two. Tomorrow, you'll be back at the beginning of step #5.

I don't know if those instructions are clear, but the basic idea is this:

1) Never have 3 quests before you go to bed for the night or you will not get a new quest tomorrow, meaning you are losing on average 50 gold.
2) Always complete 60 or 100 gold quests as soon as you can.
3) Always try to re-roll 40 gold quests.
4) Leave 40 gold quests in your queue as long as you can (without breaking rule #1 above) to decrease your odds of being given another 40 gold quest.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
so it affects both players, right?

No it says "random enemy". Basicallly it means your opponent will have to start suiciding their minions. Since it's at the end of your turn that means your opponent gets to dictate the terms of how their infected units die. It's a weak form of hard removal kind of like Corruption. Probably too situational to be useful. Would work best against Control decks for sure but I don't think it does enough. The stats are horrendous.

Xanathus

It says random *enemy* minion. It feels similar to Maexxna but it's interesting that it procs at the end of *every* turn which means if it survives 1 turn then another enemy minion gets hit with the effect. Seems like it's playable in any class that can deal 1 damage with ping, and possibly Warrior too as another form of removal.

I read it as "When your turn ends, give an opposing minion Enrage. When your opponent's turn ends, give a random minion controlled by the player not controlling Chrommagus Enrage."

Basically, each turn it benefits you for playing it.

I look forward to stealing that with a Cabal Shadow Priest.

Also, does Enrage trigger upon receiving damage, or simply having less current HP than maximum HP? I always assume it is caused by having less HP than your maximum, but if Enrage is due to the act of taking damage, this would be a slightly weaker card.

ViviOggi

Interesting card fore sure and pretty good in a vacuum. The problem is that HS - especially on the ladder - is all about raw board power and consistency, so including clunky situational cards like this one is hard to justify.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I read it as "When your turn ends, give an opposing minion Enrage. When your opponent's turn ends, give a random minion controlled by the player not controlling Chrommagus Enrage."

Basically, each turn it benefits you for playing it.

I look forward to stealing that with a Cabal Shadow Priest.

Also, does Enrage trigger upon receiving damage, or simply having less current HP than maximum HP? I always assume it is caused by having less HP than your maximum, but if Enrage is due to the act of taking damage, this would be a slightly weaker card.

Oh, I misread it. It says at the end of "each turn". So at the end of your turn, it hits a minion, then at the end of your opponent's turn, it hits a minion again. That actually makes it a bit better.

Enrage effects trigger "while damaged". So anytime a unit's health is shown as a red number. If the effect hits a minion who is damaged, than Chromaggus's effect should kill them immediately. So the dream might be, you're a mage up against a control warrior. They have Ragnaros in play and nothing else on the board. You ping Ragnaros, then drop Chromaggus. You essentially played Polymorph+Ping, plus now you've made it awkward for any new minions to drop down. Another dream might be Chromaggus+CoC, that could be a pretty powerful removal if your opponent can't remove Chromaggus immediately.

Definitely seems strongest with mage, in arena for sure, but this probably doesn't fit into Mech Mage. Maybe a freeze/fatigue mage might run this? Rogue/Druid has easy access to pings as well but less useful as their pings can't get through taunts.

Rapstah

If a minion is damaged and then you give it an enrage effect (which I don't think is possible with the cards we have right now), shouldn't the enrage effect trigger instantly?

Kettch

If a minion is damaged and then you give it an enrage effect (which I don't think is possible with the cards we have right now), shouldn't the enrage effect trigger instantly?

The closest I can think of us when you peacekeeper an enraged Amani Berserker. It'll go to 1 attack, yet still look enraged. Even if you attack something with it, it won't proc the +2 attack enrage effect again. You have to heal it to full and enrage it again to get the effect.

Rapstah

The closest I can think of us when you peacekeeper an enraged Amani Berserker. It'll go to 1 attack, yet still look enraged. Even if you attack something with it, it won't proc the +2 attack enrage effect again. You have to heal it to full and enrage it again to get the effect.

This makes sense if you look at the buff stack. The enrage buff is older than the Peacekeeper (de-) buff, so it gets 1 attack after both are applied. If you heal it to full, and then re-enrage it, then the enrage buff is newer than the Peacekeeper debuff.

Are all current enrage effects buffs? That speaks against the card being real.

I think that is because the way enhancements stack. It can't gain the same enhancement twice so it must lose the original first. And since the aldor peacekeeper enhancement is later than the berserker enrage enhancement, it supersedes it. But if your aldor before enraged, the enrage will supercede the peacekeeper buff.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
The problem with turning that effect into a trigger effect is that it would still need a trigger to activate. "When this minion takes damage", "At the end of a turn", "When a card is played". There has to be a moment when the trigger takes effect.

If they want you to be able to ping a minion, and then instantly kill it when it gets the effect, and if they don't want the enemy to be able to attack with the minion and heal it to make it live when the turn is over, what trigger would they use? Seems like enrage would be the thing that covered all bases.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom