• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT2| Created by Unstable Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem with turning that effect into a trigger effect is that it would still need a trigger to activate. "When this minion takes damage", "At the end of a turn", "When a card is played". There has to be a moment when the trigger takes effect.

If they want you to be able to ping a minion, and then instantly kill it when it gets the effect, and if they don't want the enemy to be able to attack with the minion and heal it to make it live when the turn is over, what trigger would they use? Seems like enrage would be the thing that covered all bases.

It would be triggered the moment it applies to an already injured minion. All those other "trigger" text apply to cards without enrage. Enrage is active if the minion's hp is lower than its max hp.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
It would be triggered the moment it applies to an already injured minion. All those other "trigger" text apply to cards without enrage. Enrage is active if the minion's hp is lower than its max hp.

Yeah, that's what I'm saying. Some people think it's fake because it's an enrage effect instead of simple card text, but I think it being enrage does makes sense.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Enrage only cares if there's one point of damage to it, that is, its HP is in the red.

So, if this card isn't fake and it targets an already damaged minion, it instakills it, right?

That seems to make the most sense based on what we know about enrage mechanics.

Using equality on an enrage minion acts like bringing it to full hp, losing enrage. So it seems like enrage can come and go regardless of whether the trigger is damage or heal.

Frustrating 4-3 arena game I had today.

Decent deck with 3 good legendaries (Cairne, Kel'Thuzad and Black Knight).
Something I expected to reach at least ~9 win.

Two of the losses were due to them topdecking that crazy RNG one card every time.
Basically, the type of RNG where there's nothing I could've done better.

I hate losing that way.

It's also too OP for the reason that you can ping the enemy ahead of time.
I don't think that makes it too strong. That's six mana for a hard removal, compare to Assassinate which is five, and it's random.

Also, I could see it ran in sole aggro decks, saves a lot of minions from having to trade into a taunt. Then again, most control decks will be able to remove it or clear the board around turn 5-6.

Sblargh

Banned
Using it late game with an otherwise dead card due to minion's high health (arcane explosion; holy nova) seems like a good thing.

635612498943549170.png

I feel like the initial response from players on this card was way too negative in relation to this card's strength.

I think this card is gonna be quite useful in a number of dragon decks. If you think about it, control decks running this card are concerned about 2 things. Card advantage and board control. Tempo matters, especially in some match ups, but definitely a deck aiming to beat other control decks care far more about card advantage and board control and this card does both of them.

There won't be a lack of targets for sure seeing as most control decks run at least 3-4 legendary cards (sylvannas not being a good target, but hey you can target your own sylvanas). And likely we'll see ysera make its way back into the meta, perhaps even *malygos*. We already have jaraxxus, malganis, alexstraza, black knight, sneed's, kelthuzad, ragnaros, dr. boom, cenarius, tirion, antonidas, van cleef, alakir, neptulon, alakir, baron geddon, grommash, harrison jones, king krush off webspinner, malorne off webspinner, loatheb, toshley, gallywix, voljin... you get the point. BGH is used and it targets FAR fewer minions actually played than blackhand rend. And while BGH provides a larger tempo swing, Rend actually has more consistency due to having more targets and in fact will help you save removal for other targets.

As a paladin, when I am facing down a ysera, I have 2 options right now - and sometimes a rare third option. The first 2 options are 1. silence and hope ysera doesn't just plain out value me with her 4/12 body or I can end the game fast, 2. equality. Granted, equality isn't a great option. Sometimes it isn't even an option at all. So both aren't really great solutions to single targets like ysera who can't be BGH'd. Same deal with kelthuzad, although usually equality + consecration/wild pyro is worth it since it clears an entire board and not just 1 minion. The third rare option is having 12 damage on board + kelthuzad to revive everything back.

Next, I just want to point out that the dragon requirement is more of a deck building requirement than a cost requirement. Most of the time as paladin, I'm hoarding resources anyway. So I have a hard time imagining a scenario where a dragon paladin deck lacks a dragon in hand. We'll see though, cause I suppose there will be some situations where I am forced to use dragons or I have played too fast and am top decking. I just don't see the dragon in hand requirement to be much of a downside, if any at all. It is gonna depend on how the deck is built, which I can't say atm since we don't know all the new cards yet.

Lastly, while Rend can be removed fairly easily himself, he demands that removal. There is a lot of pressure to take out an 8 attack minion of course. And I don't see that as a big downside if I just removed one of the cornerstones of your deck while playing a 12 stat minion (about 5 and a half mana worth of stats). If you think about it as a statistic break down, its about 1.5 mana to remove the legendary and 5.5 mana to make a 8/4 minion. So even when it gets swiped, the opponent is spending 4 mana to take out a 5.5 mana minion. If you just removed ysera, you spend 1.5 mana to remove a 9 mana minion. You're ahead, in other words, for total mana spent in the exchange, and your rend black hand just 2-1 against your opponent.

-Long post, but that is my thoughts on Rend Blackhand. I feel like I have been pretty accurate in a lot of my card evaluations in the past. I wanna see how I do with Rend Blackhand, a card a lot of people are dismissing quite easily.

Dahbomb

My opinion on Rend Blackhand depends on the other dragons that they plan to introduce.

So far the PLAYABLE dragons we have in this game are:

Faerie Dragon
Hungry Dragon
Twilight Drake
Azure Drake
Alextrasza
Ysera

If we include the other weird/not as much used dragons:

Malygos
Deathwing
Onyxia
Nozdormu

That's A LOT of late game minions. You will get out tempo'd trying to run this deck unless you run it in a Druid deck where you can Innervate some of them out early.

They will be adding new Dragons and I hope those Dragons come out faster than turn 5. I want a solid 3 drop Dragon along with a solid 6 drop Dragon with one of them preferably having Taunt.

CoolOff

It's gonna be interesting to see if any class cards are dragon themed, because that would be a huge indicator in how Blizzard predicts them being used.

Dahbomb

No plans to nerf Dr Balanced (Eric Dodd):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ToqlYxBbTo

Also meta game is in a "good place", Mech Mage is powerful but meta keeps changing.

He stated that not all the top decks are using Dr Balanced.... REALLY NOW?

What decks are not using Dr Balanced these days? This is the stuff I face on ladder:

Handlock/Demon lock? They use him.
Mech Mage? Hell yes they use him.
Control Warrior? You betcha.
Ramp Druid? Fuck yes.
Mech Shaman? Hell yes.
Midrange Hunter? Yes.
Midrange/Control Paladin? Yes.
Priest? Yes.

The only decks that don't use Dr Balanced are Oil Rogue, Face Hunter and Mill Decks... and I would argue that Oil Rogue might actually be BETTER if it used Dr Balanced!

Rapstah

Shouldn't that 1/7 be a dragon? Looks kinda dragony.

No, it's a core hound. In lore it may be a dragonkin-style core hound, but it's clearly a dog on four legs with two heads. I don't think it counts as a dragon in the Hearthstone definition.

What's the official rule for when a card has the lightning icon at the bottom of the card? I feel like a lot of cards with a triggering effect don't have the icon, but Hearthhead doesn't show it even for cards I know have it (FoN Treant), so I don't know if I'm just wrong.

ViviOggi

I agree with them not touching MM yet but it should be pretty obvious that there's a problem with Dr. Balance

Yes the game is lacking 7-drops but having a single one so powerful that it is not only ran in almost every deck, but also correctly dropped on every single turn 7 no matter the board state is not the solution

kiryani

What are the chances of us being able to queue on ladder one day, and being able to ban a certain class?

I would legit pay £100 to be able to play ladder and never play against a hunter again.

Every single class in the meta at the moment has counters, and you can outskill them. It actually feels great when you change your gameplan and crush mech mages. Oil rogue you can out think them and stop their game as well as playing your own. Every single type of popular deck is beatable with the right gameplan.

Apart from fucking hunter. There are games, lots of them on ladder where you just lose. Their god draw ratio is sky high because their deck is so basic. The entire thing is just a fucking joke.

Blizz, take my £100 and let me ban a single class when I play ladder

ViviOggi

Hunter isn't even as strong as it used to be (multiple times)

Warrior is still a decent counter but gets rekt by most other current meta decks

Just introduce a simple bo3/1 ban ladder already

Chimp, think you could ask Brode whether they're planning to expand on the dull ranked system anytime soon?

The only decks that don't use Dr Balanced are Oil Rogue, Face Hunter and Mill Decks... and I would argue that Oil Rogue might actually be BETTER if it used Dr Balanced!

Yeah, Dr. Balanced can be slotted into Oil Rogue and at worse not miss a beat. It may not give you a draw but it at the very worse buys additional time for you to combo it up.

Dahbomb

Not necessarily, I think it's still somewhere around 60-40. You'll get rekt if they have insane draws like good midgame into double Highmane though.
I have played both sides on this match up and it feels in favor of Hunter 60-40. It's not just Highmane (although that definitely hurts really bad) but rather all the sticky minions (Shredder, Belcher, Haunted Creeper and Dr Balanced) and traps that Midrange Hunter has. Midrange Hunter can easily remove the 2 drops that Warrior puts down (Armorsmith and Taskmaster if it gets used to kill a minion) and after the board is clear for them they put down a Freezing trap and prevent the big Warrior Legendaries from getting any momentum going. It's a lot of pressure in the mid range that Warrior struggles against and without good AOE clears or silences it gets too much to handle.

Now of course if Warrior stabilizes after turn 7 and survives the sticky minions/traps then they will almost always win but getting there is actually pretty hard. Usually a Warrior needs a good Brawl to win this match up.

Yeah, Dr. Balanced can be slotted into Oil Rogue and at worse not miss a beat. It may not give you a draw but it at the very worse buys additional time for you to combo it up.
It's not just that. It puts 3 bodies on board that you can potential boost up with Oil on the following turn. In addition, the Bots can explode to the face to create a lethal opportunity when there wasn't one before.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

I think the main problem is that Oil Rogue has a lot to do between turn 7-9 with sprint being a must play by then. Those turns are where Oil Rogue win or lose their games. There's just not time to spend a turn on Dr. Boom.

You also have so few minion cards as it is, and you really need something ready for oiling by those turns, Dr. Boom might not be easy to clear out without them using a lot of resources and taking major damage, but he is still fairly easy to completely clear with whatever minions they played on turn 6/7 + their turn 7/8 cards.

Sometimes it's better to just keep the other side's board clear and keep an single SI Agent alive on your side.

I only see dr. boom in rogue at low ranks. Occasionally there is a control rogue, but we're talking about oil rogue, that uses dr. boom well.

You shouldn't be running dr. boom in oil rogue. It just doesn't belong.

Pooya

Change Dr. Boom so that if he dies the boom bots just get disabled and go away, everything else remains same. That would be fine I think

-----
Face hunter vs face hunter games are pretty funny.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Change Dr. Boom so that if he dies the boom bots just get disabled and go away, everything else remains same. That would be fine I think

-----
Face hunter vs face hunter games are pretty funny.

Mech Mage vs Mech Mage can be pretty funny too.

I almost won too, just because most people seem to not know that mimiron counts for one of the 3 mechs. (Protip: It can be good at times to let mimiron kill the board for you)

ViviOggi

I feel like the initial response from players on this card was way too negative in relation to this card's strength.

I think this card is gonna be quite useful in a number of dragon decks. If you think about it, control decks running this card are concerned about 2 things. Card advantage and board control. Tempo matters, especially in some match ups, but definitely a deck aiming to beat other control decks care far more about card advantage and board control and this card does both of them.

There won't be a lack of targets for sure seeing as most control decks run at least 3-4 legendary cards (sylvannas not being a good target, but hey you can target your own sylvanas). And likely we'll see ysera make its way back into the meta, perhaps even *malygos*. We already have jaraxxus, malganis, alexstraza, black knight, sneed's, kelthuzad, ragnaros, dr. boom, cenarius, tirion, antonidas, van cleef, alakir, neptulon, alakir, baron geddon, grommash, harrison jones, king krush off webspinner, malorne off webspinner, loatheb, toshley, gallywix, voljin... you get the point. BGH is used and it targets FAR fewer minions actually played than blackhand rend. And while BGH provides a larger tempo swing, Rend actually has more consistency due to having more targets and in fact will help you save removal for other targets.

As a paladin, when I am facing down a ysera, I have 2 options right now - and sometimes a rare third option. The first 2 options are 1. silence and hope ysera doesn't just plain out value me with her 4/12 body or I can end the game fast, 2. equality. Granted, equality isn't a great option. Sometimes it isn't even an option at all. So both aren't really great solutions to single targets like ysera who can't be BGH'd. Same deal with kelthuzad, although usually equality + consecration/wild pyro is worth it since it clears an entire board and not just 1 minion. The third rare option is having 12 damage on board + kelthuzad to revive everything back.

Next, I just want to point out that the dragon requirement is more of a deck building requirement than a cost requirement. Most of the time as paladin, I'm hoarding resources anyway. So I have a hard time imagining a scenario where a dragon paladin deck lacks a dragon in hand. We'll see though, cause I suppose there will be some situations where I am forced to use dragons or I have played too fast and am top decking. I just don't see the dragon in hand requirement to be much of a downside, if any at all. It is gonna depend on how the deck is built, which I can't say atm since we don't know all the new cards yet.

Lastly, while Rend can be removed fairly easily himself, he demands that removal. There is a lot of pressure to take out an 8 attack minion of course. And I don't see that as a big downside if I just removed one of the cornerstones of your deck while playing a 12 stat minion (about 5 and a half mana worth of stats). If you think about it as a statistic break down, its about 1.5 mana to remove the legendary and 5.5 mana to make a 8/4 minion. So even when it gets swiped, the opponent is spending 4 mana to take out a 5.5 mana minion. If you just removed ysera, you spend 1.5 mana to remove a 9 mana minion. You're ahead, in other words, for total mana spent in the exchange, and your rend black hand just 2-1 against your opponent.

-Long post, but that is my thoughts on Rend Blackhand. I feel like I have been pretty accurate in a lot of my card evaluations in the past. I wanna see how I do with Rend Blackhand, a card a lot of people are dismissing quite easily.
Its main problem is that it's obscenely worthless against any form of aggro, and that shit just doesn't fly on the ladder. The obvious comparison is BGH who you can play on curve just fine while Rend is completely and utterly dead for the entirety of the match, which is particularly hurtful vs aggro where every early draw matters. The meta would have to make an unprecedented shift towards control to ever justify including this card.

Also meta game is in a "good place", Mech Mage is powerful but meta keeps changing.

What decks are not using Dr Balanced these days? This is the stuff I face on ladder:

Ramp Druid? Fuck yes.
Mech Shaman? Hell yes.
Midrange Hunter? Yes.
Priest? Yes.

They said the same shit about Undertaker and then he was nerfed. Also, the meta is always in a "good place" according to Blizzard. Blizzard is just slow to react, even when it's insanely obvious

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Someone get me a Ysera. I know it's a bit unconventional but I seem to run low on options, lategame as a control warrior while waiting for good opportunities/triggers for my legal minions.

Don't know what I'd replace, but I think it's worth a shot.

Slashlen

They said the same shit about Undertaker and then he was nerfed. Also, the meta is always in a "good place" according to Blizzard. Blizzard is just slow to react, even when it's insanely obvious

Yeah, basically they think it's balanced and doesn't require a nerf right up until the nerf happens. Then they suddenly have a bunch of data to show the card was OP the entire time.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Why the fuck does Dark Wispers not work with Hobgoblin!

Because Hobgoblin only works on cards that are played from the hand. It doesn't work on minions that are summoned.

Try to imagine Hobgoblin working with Unleash the Hounds.

Sorry if that gives you nightmares.

iirate

Someone get me a Ysera. I know it's a bit unconventional but I seem to run low on options, lategame as a control warrior while waiting for good opportunities/triggers for my legal minions.

Don't know what I'd replace, but I think it's worth a shot.

I'm actually seeing more Ysera in the newer, more midrange-oriented control warrior lists than I've ever seen in the history of the deck. She's a fine option for the deck.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Because Hobgoblin only works on cards that are played from the hand. It doesn't work on minions that are summoned.

Try to imagine Hobgoblin working with Unleash the Hounds.

Sorry if that gives you nightmares.

That didn't give me nightmares because I wanted to do that! Now I'm just sad, my dreams of making a viable Hobgoblin deck are crushed
tears.gif

squidyj

Ramp Druid? Fuck yes.
Mech Shaman? Hell yes.
Midrange Hunter? Yes.
Priest? Yes.

cut a Teacher for boom?

As for rend you're gonna run a card that requires dragon in hand, eats your entire turn and can only target a few relevant cards that BGH can't? I mean ysera and KT aren't exactly dominating the meta. Then it's a dead draw against aggro, with bgh at least you can get a jungle panther out if you wind up facing off against aggro.

It's just a bad card that I seriously doubt will see any play.

Dahbomb

Its main problem is that it's obscenely worthless against any form of aggro, and that shit just doesn't fly on the ladder. The obvious comparison is BGH who you can play on curve just fine while Rend is completely and utterly dead for the entirety of the match, which is particularly hurtful vs aggro where every early draw matters. The meta would have to make an unprecedented shift towards control to ever justify including this card.
Yeah this point too. The only three Legendaries that get used in Aggro decks are Loatheb, Dr. Balanced and Archmage Antonidas in Mage decks.

cut a Teacher for boom?
Nah Teacher comes out earlier and creates minions on the board. It is essential to the deck. The only thing I would consider cutting from the deck is one heal but even that is a hard ask as Rogue is so starved for healing.

Oh my god duplicate mage is so fun! Duplicate Sludge Belcher, Duplicate Shredder, Duplicate Sylvanas, Duplicate ALL THE THINGS! I really like how mage has so many fun things to play around with.

Get an amazing Warlock deck in arena, - game proceeds to match me with three people in a row who have everything they need to counter it. I can't even...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom