• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT2| Created by Unstable Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I have a fucking golden Sylvanas and can't for the love of me understand when and how I should use her in my control paladin.

iirate

No idea who Nadia is but defending Lifecoach streaming topless. The guy is rich as hell and simply does it because he wants to, it's not even possible to donate to him. I have seen some girl streamers offering snapchats for donations over a certain value though, I mean it gets them money but it's a little weird. You end up with tons of creeps on the stream salivating over everything. Their choice though I guess.

To add to what frequency has been saying, please don't do this. If you really think it's their choice(and by extension, there's not really anything wrong with it), then don't precede that with a value judgement. If you really believe the latter part of what you said, then even saying the former is going to drown that out.

Aylinato

I have a fucking golden Sylvanas and can't for the love of me understand when and how I should use her in my control paladin.

In paladin? I've never heard of that in control paladin before. Maybe add her and KT then just suicide her stupid ass into shit.

Fuck sylvanaas as a character

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
In paladin? I've never heard of that in control paladin before. Maybe add her and KT then just suicide her stupid ass into shit.

Fuck sylvanaas as a character
So it doesn't fit Paladin? What should I have? Cairne? Rag?

Magnus

Finally starting to really feel the hurt of not having rares/legendaries. I'm still resolute in my will to not spend $$ on card packs or anything else (besides expansion purchases).

It's going to take forever to craft great cards, never mind legendaries.

I don't care what people do on stream as long as they're interesting to watch. Reckful pulls some questionable shit too, but most of the time he has a really good attitude and interacts well with his audience.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Finally starting to really feel the hurt of not having rares/legendaries. I'm still resolute in my will to not spend $$ on card packs or anything else (besides expansion purchases).

It's going to take forever to craft great cards, never mind legendaries.

Yeah the meta went full control, so now everybody is packing legendaries, and the only counter is other legendaries or epics. Bad time to be new to the game. New players benefit more when the meta is fast, because all the cheap aggro cards have low rarity.

Magnus

Yeah the meta went full control, so now everybody is packing legendaries, and the only counter is other legendaries or epics. Bad time to be new to the game. New players benefit more when the meta is fast, because all the cheap aggro cards have low rarity.

I'm afraid I don't understand most of what you just said. lol

The meta? What does that mean? (metagame? Still don't understand the word in this context)

Yoshichan

My control paladin, anything I can fix here?

RkbZGl8.png

Aylinato

RkbZGl8.png

How much use do you get out of that twilight drake? How much use on the argent protectors*? Feels like it lacks early game, but idk my paladin has full board clears and it's mostly early game(I don't have tirion)

Black knights are always good, how well do you do against zoo?

*edited because I'm stupid sometimes and don't know unit names lol

Yoshichan

I use Twilight Drake all the time at 4 mana and it always tends to become a 4/6 :( Seems so worth it.

I do extremely well against zoo. I slow them down with Follow the Rules until 6 mana - then board clear time.

take out avenging wrath, twilight drake, harvest golems, argent protectors, SSC. put in things like lay on hands, wild pyro, holy light, guardian of kings, tazdingo, stampeding kodo, humility, spellbreaker, shade of naxx.

edit: something like this

xP2AWVn.png

Yoshichan

But isn't Harvest Golem literally the best 3 drop in the game? I have it in every single deck of mine

Harvest golem can be sort of a dead drop at times in the paladin vs priest match up, but I so far haven't bothered to remove it from my paladin deck since that weakness isn't enough to shift it in the priest's favor.

The only times I seem to lose to priest is when they either have a crazy start with undertaker that I don't have an answer to quick enough or when they manage to thoughtsteal my tirion and pressure me into playing my own tirion in which case they mindsteal it, giving them two tirions over the course of the game.

If you do get a harvest golem in hand later in the game, just don't play it until you have a board that can deal with a 4/5 and the harvest golem in the same turn. Also just hero power over playing harvest golem if mana is short. I'm not entirely concerned about card advantage in the match up since my cards have way higher value and my hero power is hard for them to deal with alongside my high value cards. In fact, I like to see my opponent a couple cards ahead in terms of cards used overall, because that means they'll hit fatigue sooner and that is how they die 90% of the time in that match up. Fatigue is like the paladin's finisher.

ShinNL

http://i.imgur.com/RkbZGl8.png
I look at that deck, then I look at my deck and think:

Those silly 2 and 3 drops. :D

I can sort of understand your theme with the low drops. They are low drops that have scaling value the longer the game goes on.

Your deck seems to based on:

- Earliest super removal is 6 mana, or 8 mana, both Equality Based.
- To get to 6 mana or 8 mana, you use Harvest Golem, Aldor Peacekeeper, Truesilver, Twilight. After that you can use your taunts to get even more stalling time.
- Then spam Legendaries and feel awesome. Guardian of Kings if you get too low.

The strange early drops can help with the early game shuffle and when topdecked at late-game they can provider better value.

Seems like quite a good deck, though a bit limited in removal options. Wild Pyromancer have some nice synergy with Equality and Consecration (board clear or 2+1 damage clear). You might also lack a bit in huge threat removal. Even with double Aldor and double Humility I wish I had more 'nerf' cards :p

ZealousD

I'm afraid I don't understand most of what you just said. lol

The meta? What does that mean? (metagame? Still don't understand the word in this context)

Yeah sorry. meta = metagame. Basically, the game is heavily tilted towards high-cost minions right now. Cards like Sludge Belcher have slowed the game down and so it is very difficult to play aggressively the moment. When that is the environment the game is in, it's difficult for newer players because most of the really good low-cost minions are fairly inexpensive, generally commons or rares. But a huge chunk of the best high drop minions are legendaries or epics. So fast decks are cheaper than the slower decks. So because the game is slower right now, it difficult for new folks getting into the game would might otherwise want to play the faster decks.

She can work good on an empty board since people have to deal with the deathrattle before putting stuff on the board. Since you're running other large cards, she'll probably eat a silence or removal which is good for you.

I haven't played control Paladin in a long time, so I'm not 100% sure.

Yoshichan

I look at that deck, then I look at my deck and think:

Those silly 2 and 3 drops. :D

I can sort of understand your theme with the low drops. They are low drops that have scaling value the longer the game goes on.

Your deck seems to based on:

- Earliest super removal is 6 mana, or 8 mana, both Equality Based.
- To get to 6 mana or 8 mana, you use Harvest Golem, Aldor Peacekeeper, Truesilver, Twilight. After that you can use your taunts to get even more stalling time.
- Then spam Legendaries and feel awesome. Guardian of Kings if you get too low.

The strange early drops can help with the early game shuffle and when topdecked at late-game they can provider better value.

Seems like quite a good deck, though a bit limited in removal options. Wild Pyromancer have some nice synergy with Equality and Consecration (board clear or 2+1 damage clear). You might also lack a bit in huge threat removal. Even with double Aldor and double Humility I wish I had more 'nerf' cards :p
You pretty much summarized the entire thing with 100% accuracy :lol Wow.

WTF at this russian guy being the top hearthstone twitch streamer at the moment.

Where's all the english speaking talent?

is he russian? i thought it was like bulgarian or something.

either way he's pretty good but pretty much only plays warrior

edit: i'm thinking swedish or norwegian

Boogiepop

Just kind of dropping in here. I guess I've been playing for a bit over a month now and I'm definitely still very much a beginner. Been slowly but surely trying to build up my collection without spending any money. The release of Naxxramas definitely slowed that down, though, since I had to sink a ton of my in game coins into it. I at least have some stuff though, and I did manage to pull Cairne Bloodhoof randomly from a pack which is nice. Heck, got a 2 epic 1 rare pack today, which definitely feels good. At the very least this game feels pretty damn fair to non-paying players, especially compared to stuff like Pokemon TCG Online.

I'm also pretty sure that my Druid deck is garbage (not going to bother trying to get people to help reconstruct now, though, since my collection still has so many holes and I'm probably not going to use it anyway for a bit until the Quests force me towards it again). I was getting hammered and just lost probably 10 times in a row before I managed to pull out of that spiral and finish off my Quest with it. Most frustrating was when I had a brain fart and lost because I used the hero power before the Starfire... and then I of course drew into Claw which would've won me the game had I played in the right order, but of course I ended up losing with the opponent with 1 life left. Bleh.

But yeah, just going to keep building up skills and cards till I can hopefully become halfway decent at this game!

MisterArrogant

Neo Member
I have a huge problem with "attention whore" as a term. What would you call the male who draws in viewers?

I could just as easily use it for males as females. I've called dudes attention whores before at some point or another. Why do you feel it only strictly refers to females? I've never said that so I don't know why you're assuming that's the way I think?

Male streamers regularly do whatever it takes for viewers and no one says anything. But the same is not true of female streamers.

Like I said, I don't really follow streamers at all so I don't really know what they all do. That sounds pretty lascivious though and makes me wonder what "doing whatever it takes" constitutes? Do they run illegal gambling dens? Have sex on stream? Sacrifice small animals to pagan gods? The mind just boggles. But seriously, I don't know what everyone else is doing and can't really control what anyone else says about such acts.

You judge her simply because she happens to be attractive.

You make this assumption based on what exactly? How do you know I wouldn't have misjudged her if she had the same type of stream but she was unattractive? I think Hafu is attractive but I've never conflated that with her playing skill. I'm curious how you came to this conclusion?

You are (perhaps subconsciously) judging a female streamer here more harshly than you are any male streamer. You say you "roll your eyes" but you're not here saying Lifecoach is a hack for streaming topless.

I've never seen a Lifecoach stream and don't know anything about him other than seeing some random talk that he was a good player. If I didn't know anything about him except that he was a streamer then realized I was matched against him at some point and after the match I checked his stream and saw him shirtless and acting like a jackass, I could have just as easily come in here saying, "I just got trounced on some stream by some douche streaming shirtless and acting like a jackass. How embarrassing..." The difference is I just happened to get matched up with Nadia instead.

She beat you at the game yet it wasn't by her own merits? It was because Trump was skyping in and you're going to pretend he was coaching her. Why is it so offensive to lose to her that you (by your own admission) have to lie to yourself to accept the loss?

I was joking about Trump coaching her. He was actually in there whining about not having a girlfriend and trying to pick up on her or something. Pretty sad actually. I know he's a good player but I admit I felt less respect for him after seeing him act like such a pathetic sad sack in front of everybody.

You didn't even care to give Nadia a chance by watching long enough to see her ability. You are judging based on forums and random glances and seeing cosplay (which, shame on you for saying that is being an "attention whore").

Nope, I didn't give her a chance. When I checked out her stream it felt sort of icky like I walked into the middle of some creepy high school drama or something. I've watched Hafu stream when I was trying to get better at arena and the vibe there was totally different. She's attractive but I don't feel like that's the center of her stream. She was talking about her draft picks and her plays as were the other people in her chat. In contrast, when I went over to Nadia's streams she's got Trump in there being a sad sack and trying to hit on her or something while she's giggling. She's dressed up in cosplay with her tits about ready to fall out and nobody in chat is even talking about the game.

So yeah, my impression of her due to that and the fact I've never seen anyone mention before two pages ago that she was any good was that she was a hack and was just playing in sexy cosplay to make money off lonely gaming nerds. I admit I was making assumptions and generalizations about her and misjudged her the same as you're doing to me. The difference is I admitted I was wrong and misjudged her and said I take back what I said. So I guess, shame on me.

A lot of women have rightly said they don't want to be treated and addressed like sex objects in this community and when you have someone who plays that aspect of themselves up to make money off people then you run the risk of creating the wrong impression which is what happened in my case. I didn't realize she was also a good player and so I admit I was overly judgmental in my assessment of her.

I admit I respect Hafu's style of stream better but to imply I'm some kind of misogynist sexist because I thought her stream was kind of trashy is going a little far.

What was Trump when he had the sub drive with a reward of hugging his teddy bear on camera? How about when he dressed up as a gangster for the "Prison Trump" stream? Or the numerous times he does a song cover on camera?

I've never seen much of Trump but when I have he's just been playing. That just sounds more stupid/silly than exploitative or titillating though. I feel like you're comparing apples and oranges there.

(Before anyone thinks I am a "thirsty dude" trying to defend titillating streams, I'm not a dude)

I didn't think you're a dude. You seem like a good person with your heart in the right place here but I think you're being a little harsh and judgmental in the same manner I was with Nadia.

Cipherr

I have a huge problem with "attention whore" as a term. What would you call the male who draws in viewers?

Male streamers regularly do whatever it takes for viewers and no one says anything. But the same is not true of female streamers. You judge her simply because she happens to be attractive. You are (perhaps subconsciously) judging a female streamer here more harshly than you are any male streamer. You say you "roll your eyes" but you're not here saying Lifecoach is a hack for streaming topless. She beat you at the game yet it wasn't by her own merits? It was because Trump was skyping in and you're going to pretend he was coaching her. Why is it so offensive to lose to her that you (by your own admission) have to lie to yourself to accept the loss?

You didn't even care to give Nadia a chance by watching long enough to see her ability. You are judging based on forums and random glances and seeing cosplay (which, shame on you for saying that is being an "attention whore").

What was Trump when he had the sub drive with a reward of hugging his teddy bear on camera? How about when he dressed up as a gangster for the "Prison Trump" stream? Or the numerous times he does a song cover on camera?

(Before anyone thinks I am a "thirsty dude" trying to defend titillating streams, I'm not a dude)

I think you might be reading waaaaaay to much into this. Or at least I hope you are. I know for a fact that plenty of people in this thread give shit to male streamers too. Nadias definitely a good player though.

Using Trump as an example is terrible because people give that guy shit all the time. The whole "Trump is autistic" and "Tuck Frump" and whatnot. People in this thread have also often times shitted on streamers that load their page with donation links and 'High donor' bullshit.

Zemm

Tuck Frump.

Forsen and Sjow are the only streamers you need (and applejacked but he streams weird times for EU)

frequency

I could just as easily use it for males as females. I've called dudes attention whores before at some point or another. Why do you feel it only strictly refers to females? I've never said that so I don't know why you're assuming that's the way I think?
Because I don't recall seeing you here using gendered terminology like "attention whore" for males. It is a poor choice of words to criticize a female (or any gender) streamer. You know full well the root of that term and the way many read it.

Like I said, I don't really follow streamers at all so I don't really know what they all do. That sounds pretty lascivious though and makes me wonder what "doing whatever it takes" constitutes? Do they run illegal gambling dens? Have sex on stream? Sacrifice small animals to pagan gods? The mind just boggles. But seriously, I don't know what everyone else is doing and can't really control what anyone else says about such acts.

You make this assumption based on what exactly? How do you know I wouldn't have misjudged her if she had the same type of stream but she was unattractive? I think Hafu is attractive but I've never conflated that with her playing skill. I'm curious how you came to this conclusion?

I've never seen a Lifecoach stream and don't know anything about him other than seeing some random talk that he was a good player. If I didn't know anything about him except that he was a streamer then realized I was matched against him at some point and after the match I checked his stream and saw him shirtless and acting like a jackass, I could have just as easily come in here saying, "I just got trounced on some stream by some douche streaming shirtless and acting like a jackass. How embarrassing..." The difference is I just happened to get matched up with Nadia instead.
You just came off really strong using, again, very gendered terminology to criticize Nadia in a way that was centered around her being a female streamer. Note that I didn't actually address you at first, letting it just go. I just agreed with someone else in a general sense that criticism against cleavage is wrong.

Nope, I didn't give her a chance. When I checked out her stream it felt sort of icky like I walked into the middle of some creepy high school drama or something. I've watched Hafu stream when I was trying to get better at arena and the vibe there was totally different. She's attractive but I don't feel like that's the center of her stream. She was talking about her draft picks and her plays as were the other people in her chat. In contrast, when I went over to Nadia's streams she's got Trump in there being a sad sack and trying to hit on her or something while she's giggling. She's dressed up in cosplay with her tits about ready to fall out and nobody in chat is even talking about the game.

So yeah, my impression of her due to that and the fact I've never seen anyone mention before two pages ago that she was any good was that she was a hack and was just playing in sexy cosplay to make money off lonely gaming nerds. I admit I was making assumptions and generalizations about her and misjudged her the same as you're doing to me. The difference is I admitted I was wrong and misjudged her and said I take back what I said. So I guess, shame on me.

A lot of women have rightly said they don't want to be treated and addressed like sex objects in this community and when you have someone who plays that aspect of themselves up to make money off people then you run the risk of creating the wrong impression which is what happened in my case. I didn't realize she was also a good player and so I admit I was overly judgmental in my assessment of her.
But I don't think skill actually matters here. Even if Nadia is terrible, her stream is no less valid and you could have lamented losing to a bad player without playing up her gender. What relevance does her "bustyness" or cosplaying or her chat have at all to your losing of the game?

I admit I respect Hafu's style of stream better but to imply I'm some kind of misogynist sexist because I thought her stream was kind of trashy is going a little far.
I never meant to imply you are some kind of misogynist or that you are sexist. There is a lot ingrained in society to overcome, but it does not speak of the people caught up in it. A part of my purpose was to have people reflect upon their word choices and perhaps why they're viewing someone the way they are. I sincerely apologize for making you feel that way.

I've never seen much of Trump but when I have he's just been playing. That just sounds more stupid/silly than exploitative or titillating though. I feel like you're comparing apples and oranges there.
I disagree. Both are using what they have available to them to draw in viewers and subs. I don't see why one is considered higher than the other.

I didn't think you're a dude. You seem like a good person with your heart in the right place here but I think you're being a little harsh and judgmental in the same manner I was with Nadia.
I apologize for making you feel that way. My intention aside, it was wrong of me to be harsh. I let myself get a little too emotional because I see so much going on all the time and it really bothers me.

I think you might be reading waaaaaay to much into this. Or at least I hope you are. I know for a fact that plenty of people in this thread give shit to male streamers too. Nadias definitely a good player though.

Using Trump as an example is terrible because people give that guy shit all the time. The whole "Trump is autistic" and "Tuck Frump" and whatnot. People in this thread have also often times shitted on streamers that load their page with donation links and 'High donor' bullshit.

Yes. People do criticize male streamers too. Trump most of all. But the type of criticism levied against him are very different from the type against Nadia.

Yoshichan

Why do people bash Trump? He's so calm all the time... what does he do that's "wrong"?

Amaz, I can see making a lot of people angry - but Trump?

frequency

Why do people bash Trump? He's so calm all the time... what does he do that's "wrong"?

Amaz, I can see making a lot of people angry - but Trump?

Some people find his calmness boring. The rest of it is just Twitch chat being Twitch chat and occasionally leaking into this thread.

The autism thing is from when he was streaming himself watching Forsen's VODs to study Miracle Rogue play. One of the viewers asked Forsen if Trump was autistic and Forsen responded.

Yoshichan

Some people find his calmness boring. The rest of it is just Twitch chat being Twitch chat and occasionally leaking into this thread.

The autism thing is from when he was streaming himself watching Forsen's VODs to study Miracle Rogue play. One of the viewers asked Forsen if Trump was autistic and Forsen responded.
So dedicated = autistic nowadays? What did Forsen respond? Link?

frequency

So dedicated = autistic nowadays? What did Forsen respond? Link?

Don't try to make sense of Twitch chatters.

The VOD is gone now since Twitch started deleting older VODs.
If I remember, someone donated with a message asking if Trump was autistic. Forsen reads donation messages sometimes and I think his response was just "I don't know, maybe" or something like that. Trump did a cute, "how rude" thing.

But since then it spread (because Twitch chat is Twitch chat...) with calling Trump autistic in Hearthstone streams and it leaks out onto forums like this one occasionally. Totally dumb reason. Twitch chat. Like the T U C K F R U M P thing.

Just mindless copy paste spam.

ShinNL

You pretty much summarized the entire thing with 100% accuracy :lol Wow.
Thanks, deckbuilding is one of the few things I take pride in so I appreciate the comment :)

The difference between your deck and mine is that I don't trust my draw luck with curves. Whenever I build something with 2x2, 2x3 en 2x4 drops, I pretty much will never draw it that way and instead draw it in the reverse order after I get my high mana cards.

So I switched most of my decks to a different strategy, relying on insanely strong plays at 5+ mana (when you have most of the cards). In order to do that, I need either a hero power that can buy time, or low cost card draw minion (so I don't waste my cards when the eventual late-game comes). In theory it's pretty simple: getting the right cards out of 30 in the initial 3 is hard, but in the initial 8+ surely you have a lot more better options.

This is also the reason why I love Molten Giant, because I know I'll be getting damage. I just have to make sure I don't die and Molten Giant, along with Mortal Strike are the only cards that can take advantage of this negative effect. Without those cards, I am simply just dying.

So think of it as replacing all the possible low drops (3 or less) with 2x Sunfury and 2x Molten Giant, and you basically have my theme. It's still trying to get cheap clears (with as few cards as possible), then spam awesome stuff, except mine tries to walk on a finer line for more reward. More risk, more reward kinda thing.

Usually my double Mountain Giant don't do much face damage, they're just in my decks for the sole reason that my opponent has to deal with it and it's my way of making them waste resources for it. Once they do that and also get Equality cleared, you win by card advantage because a control deck simply has higher quality cards per topdeck, compared to someone who draws empty eggs or haunted creepers.

So my advice for your deck is:

Not much to change if you want to keep that style. Your weakness is that a strong board around turn 4 (egg / power overwhelming / void terror combos FTL) can be really really scary for you since your clear is only 2 turns later, so consider Wild Pyromancer to at least have the possibility of doing 4 mana clears.

If you consider the current meta, the current deck is okay-ish. Cheesy decks themed with "I feel iggy" is hard for you to deal with and super late game decks like mine can pose a problem for you as well. For a deck of a similar type, you have a higher chance of winning due to Equality and Aldor combos. Though I prefer it more if that Kel'Thuzad was a Ragnaros instead.

Your other options is going less risk, less reward or more risk, more reward. I've already talked about my deck being more risk, more reward. For less risk, less reward, consider dropping some hard to play high mana minions like Ysera and Kel'Thuzad which you don't play about 50% of your matches anyway and slightly add more lower mana minions. If you want to keep the same flow, Loot Hoarder and Acolyte of Pain are nice for those purposes, which still fit within the synergy of your deck with other low drops and Blessing of Kings.

Personally I think in Handlock age, Humility is a must. Additionally, Kodo works with that but that's for tempo and since your deck isn't based on tempo, I think only Humility is fine. Or just slot in a single Big Game Hunter since you have Argent Protector anyway. A 4/2 with divine shield and 2/2 for 5 mana is still a pretty strong play even against non-control decks.

Yoshichan

Thanks a lot Soneet, solid info right there!

Cipherr

Nothing that I can think of. I suppose he is a bit calm, but I enjoy that. I can watch the stream while working and not have to worry about him losing a game and freaking out and shouting through my speakers or something, lol.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Turn 4 lethal.

turn 1: northshire cleric
turn 2: 2 power word shields + hit face
turn 3: divine spirit + inner fire + hit face
turn 4: defender of argus + hit face

So crispy.

Zeroth

Nothing that I can think of. I suppose he is a bit calm, but I enjoy that. I can watch the stream while working and not have to worry about him losing a game and freaking out and shouting through my speakers or something, lol.

I hear he's bland, if anything. I guess most streamers have something going, whereas Trump is just... Trump. I can't say I dislike him, but his streams are certainly less memorable than, say, reckful.

ZealousD

What do you guys think about Druid decks running two spellbreakers instead of two keepers?

Seems like everybody is using their keepers for silence nowadays, and I think spellbreakers might have better stats for the cost. Plus they play around priests.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom