• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT2| Created by Unstable Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.

jblank83

Well, 3 legendaries speaks to me saying you don't really put in much time at all, especially if you've been playing for 8 or so months. I think CB ended in like feburary into open beta so it has been quite a long time.

But there simply aren't enough basic cards imo to have a strong ladder experience with just basics.

Our ideas of "a fair amount of time" differ, then. I played consistently a couple of hours a day for several months, then off and on for several more. Legendaries just did not drop out of packs, and those that did were not great. So I crafted some for myself. I also crafted the rares that I needed (Faceless Manipulator), as they too did not drop from packs.

I didn't sit and grind out 10 gold per 3 wins for 4-8 hours a day, no. Nor did I spend money on packs. But it was enough time to buy all of Naxxramas with gold, enough time to build up most rares in most classes, enough time to play, I don't know how many but quite a few arenas, and enough time to know what's going on in Hearthstone in general.

As for a vanilla mode, I think it would be fine. You might not like it, but some people hate Arena, some people hate Ladder, some people hate Casual, and some people hate a lot of things. Nor should it take much programming effort.

The "casual" mode for people without good collections is called arena.

True and I guess arguably it is trial by fire at the same time.

It still is probably the best way to learn the game since you'll use and experience a wide range of tactics and strategies. The move from arena to constructed isn't too bad because arena teaches you the basics very well.

Our ideas of time differ, then. I played consistently a couple of hours a day for several months, then off and on for several more. Legendaries just did not drop out of packs, and those that did were not great. So I crafted some for myself. I also crafted the rares that I needed (Faceless Manipulator), as they too did not drop from packs.

I didn't sit and grind out 10 gold per 3 wins for 4-8 hours a day, no. Nor did I spend money on packs. But it was enough time to buy all of Naxxramas with gold, enough time to build up most rares in most classes, enough time to play, I don't know how many but quite a few arenas, and enough time to know what's going on in Hearthstone in general.

As for a vanilla mode, I think it would be fine. You might not like it, but some people hate Arena, some people hate Ladder, some people hate Casual, and some people hate a lot of things. Nor should it take much programming effort.

I'm just saying you've had ample time to collect cards. Perhaps you should have played more arena. I didn't buy packs either and I spent gold on naxx as well. I just think over an 8 month period you should have a very solid collection of legendary cards. In the end, you get out what you put in.

The reason why your vanilla mode would suck is because it would be dominated by 1 or 2 super efficient zoo like decks with less variety than hearthstone ever has had in a ladder environment. I would like a vanilla mode, but that very limited, very specific mode would suck.

edit:
Also, I think if you hate every mode in the game... you might just hate hearthstone.

gutshot

I just played against a golden mage who had the most vanilla deck ever. It was almost all basic cards, no Naxx, no rares, epics or legs save for a Faceless Manipulator. Not only was it vanilla but it included bad cards like Silverback Patriarchs and shit.

Someone who botted their way to 500 wins? Or just an experienced player messing around with a really weird deck?

kirblar

I just played against a golden mage who had the most vanilla deck ever. It was almost all basic cards, no Naxx, no rares, epics or legs save for a Faceless Manipulator. Not only was it vanilla but it included bad cards like Silverback Patriarchs and shit.

Someone who botted their way to 500 wins? Or just an experienced player messing around with a really weird deck?
Def a bot. Probably still a bot.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
FUCK, the new card back is so hot... pirates!

johnsmith

remember me
This game is okay, pretty average.

df1a536c46e7aeccc536212426c90ae2a37f3555e78be5419850b3d0f0149d45.jpg

If you have two sylvannas and your opponent kills one of them with his own sylvannas for some retarded fucking reason he gets your remaining one and you get nothing.

Lyng

If you have two sylvannas and your opponent kills one of them with his own sylvannas for some retarded fucking reason he gets your remaining one and you get nothing.

That makes perfect sense. Since he only has one. When it dies you have nothing you can steal. You however still have one minion out there that he can steal.

It depends on what order they were played in. Deathrattles trigger in order of which minion was played first, so if he kills your Sylvanas that was played after his Sylvanas, then his Sylavans will die and trigger its deathrattle stealing your second Sylvanas, then your Sylvanas will die and steal the other Sylvanas back (assuming his board has nothing else on it at the time). If his Sylvanas was played after yours, then you'll have nothing to steal and he'll take your other Sylvanas.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Better than when these kinds of "simultaneous" effects were governed by obscure internal logic and practically unpredictable.

SteveWD40

Keeping this card back, by far the best one since the Rainbow one, they both seem to have far more texture to them.

Also, KT is broken as fuck.

Rosenskjold

Hey all, just picked up this game again and started playing with my mage deck. Reached rank 15 but then dropped down again :p As is apparent I don't have a lot of great cards. I'm thinking my deck could definitely use some improvement and I'd love to hear some few tips on how it could be improved. The rares I have are: Violet teacher, Drake, Azure, gad. auctioneer, Kodo, Argent commander and Sunwalker.
Or you can just have a laugh at my petty deck builder skills :p

HCDTTw0.png

Haunted

I actually think that they should've changed the game to resolve AoE deathrattles simultaneously instead of resolving it by order played. It's unintuitive, undocumented and imo, flawed game design.

Basically, it's a bug, not a feature.

Kettch

I actually think that they should've changed the game to resolve AoE deathrattles simultaneously instead of resolving it by order played. It's unintuitive, undocumented and imo, flawed game design.

Basically, it's a bug, not a feature.

How would that work though? Let's say you have unstable ghoul and haunted creeper on the board and both die. If it's simultaneous, does the ghoul explosion kill the spiders or does it not kill the spiders?

Hey all, just picked up this game again and started playing with my mage deck. Reached rank 15 but then dropped down again :p As is apparent I don't have a lot of great cards. I'm thinking my deck could definitely use some improvement and I'd love to hear some few tips on how it could be improved. The rares I have are: Violet teacher, Drake, Azure, gad. auctioneer, Kodo, Argent commander and Sunwalker.
Or you can just have a laugh at my petty deck builder skills :p

http://i.imgur.com/HCDTTw0.png

you have too many single cards for something that isn't a control deck. and really the best way to build a mage right now is with mad scientist and secrets so you should really try to at least get the relevant naxx wings.

but right now you definitely want to go with an aggressive mage deck. it's pretty good against the other decks you're facing. i threw this one together with budget in mind though it definitely needs play testing.

RYfdLfO.png

basically you just want to get an early start and then finish with kobold fireball, fireball or kobold frostbolt, ice lance, ice lance. if you happen to have thalnos he should replace the kobold.

Minsc

Gold Member
Nice, but they really have to time their seasonal card backs the month ahead of the holiday... what good is the pumpkin one going to do in November, and the turkey one in December, and the Christmas one in January (not that they'd ever favor a specific religious holiday like xmas anyway), etc.

Some better rewards for playing the game wouldn't go unappreciated either. I really would love to see gold/expert packs rewarded for each level you hit in ranked, each season. The packs could just be for getting to 15/10/5/legendary, while small amounts of gold would be given the first time you hit a rank in between those.

Haunted

How would that work though? Let's say you have unstable ghoul and haunted creeper on the board and both die. If it's simultaneous, does the ghoul explosion kill the spiders or does it not kill the spiders?
I think that'd be governed by an internal deathrattle rule. Damage before/after spawn, for example.

I was specifically thinking about the same deathrattles activating simultaneously, like in the Sylvanas vs Sylvanas example.

edit: or maybe I haven't thought this through properly. Just somehow feels like simultaneous resolve would be right?

I think that'd be governed by an internal deathrattle rule. Damage before/after spawn, for example.

I was specifically thinking about the same deathrattles activating simultaneously, like in the Sylvanas vs Sylvanas example.

edit: or maybe I haven't thought this through properly. Just somehow feels like simultaneous resolve would be right?
if it was simultaneous nothing would ever happen. it's not ideal having a hidden deathrattle rule but at least it's predictable now.

Haunted

Priest vs Priest is hilarious now. The Mind Control wars are back. Whoever plays it first loses, because the creature gets just stolen back.

if it was simultaneous nothing would ever happen. it's not ideal having a hidden deathrattle rule but at least it's predictable now.
I suppose...

Minsc

Gold Member
When I played WoW forever ago they always had Christmas themed events.

Those are sorta optional and aren't tied to your account though, maybe. I could see people complaining about a Christmas themed card back being bound to their account if they don't celebrate the holiday, so I'd still be surprised to see them do it, even if they have with WoW in the past.

Lumine

Yeah it's some made up holiday if I remember right. Santa is called Father Winter I think?

Anyway I really doubt people would feel offended by an extra christmas themed back though, but I guess you never know. :p

it'll probably just be red and green. i don't celebrate christmas but i personally don't care. but you never know. especially now that hearthstone has over 20 million players.

Emarv

Nice, but they really have to time their seasonal card backs the month ahead of the holiday... what good is the pumpkin one going to do in November, and the turkey one in December, and the Christmas one in January (not that they'd ever favor a specific religious holiday like xmas anyway), etc.

Some better rewards for playing the game wouldn't go unappreciated either. I really would love to see gold/expert packs rewarded for each level you hit in ranked, each season. The packs could just be for getting to 15/10/5/legendary, while small amounts of gold would be given the first time you hit a rank in between those.

This is sorely needed to encourage ranked play (although I guess they don't really care). It's just a better incentive to climb the ladder and thus play more people your skill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom