• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT2| Created by Unstable Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Best deck is still Miracle pre-nerf.

RIP in Peace
February 2014 - September 2014.

inky

Control Warrior still sucks against priest. Well, "old" priest, dunno about undertaker priest.

Malygos Druid >> your decks :p
Too bad it's hardly viable anymore ;(

ShinNL

Hi casual botter.

5pgLUdH.jpg

L2concede pl0x

ViviOggi

GLADIATR CAST HYPE

Best deck is still Miracle pre-nerf.

RIP in Peace
February 2014 - September 2014.
i cry evertim
super annoyed that these tourneys tend to be during work hours on weekdays
Well, this one and Viagame's are both held in Europe, and there are so many matches in the group stage that they start around noon in EU time anyway. At least the finals are usually on the weekend.
Control Warrior still sucks against priest. Well, "old" priest, dunno about undertaker priest.
Eh, I've always had a favorable winrate vs Priests.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
I think warrior is good against undertaker priest since they play so many little garbage cards now and don't play thoughtsteal typically. Fiery winaxe opening wrecks that hard.

Against control priest, it just depends who's deck is greedier. The warrior has to be, like, 2 steps greedier than the thoughtsteal priest.

Rosenskjold

One day I'll have to post some games here and hopefully get some pointers on why I'm so terrible xD I'm having fun most of the time, but just bouncing back and forth between rank 19-16

Kettch

Trump really deserved that loss. Free kill on an undertaker or take him from 24 to 22 health? I wonder which is better.

One day I'll have to post some games here and hopefully get some pointers on why I'm so terrible xD I'm having fun most of the time, but just bouncing back and forth between rank 19-16

the big thing I was doing when I first started playing was just addressing the current state of the board and reacting to what my opponent was doing. a big part of consistently putting together wins is anticipating your opponents game plan and attempting to disrupt it.

this mostly just takes a lot of experience because you have to recognize what kind of deck you're playing against and act accordingly.

Biggest problem with this game's playerbase is how often people overextend their hand onto the board... and how often it then works in their favor even though it should pretty much instantly kill them.

I very rarely play someone who I feel is actually understands why they're making the plays that they are in a given game. When I do play against them it's nice but it's just not that often. The game holds your hand way too much.

Maybe that dynamic changes in high legend? It's certainly the case from ranks 1-25.

kirblar

Biggest problem with this game's playerbase is how often people overextend their hand onto the board... and how often it then works in their favor even though it should pretty much instantly kill them.

I very rarely play someone who I feel is actually understands why they're making the plays that they are in a given game. When I do play against them it's nice but it's just not that often. The game holds your hand way too much.

Maybe that dynamic changes in high legend? It's certainly the case from ranks 1-25.
That's because of the resource system. Because resources aren't cards, it makes it so you want to consistently be applying pressure and doing things every turn. In MTG, playing around the wrath would be correct- but in Hearthstone, that same pressure doesn't exist. "Wrath, then end with a finisher" doesn't really exist- every deck is, by necessity, a tempo deck. Since the wraths are mostly one-side, playing a threat, then playing a bonfire is a much better gameplan. Raw card advantage doesn't really come into play in a lot of matchups. Card access is often more important.

I think they merely have 1 or 2 low cost cards that are too good. Aggression should be viable but the way undertaker and mad scientist operate makes aggression slightly too good. Aggro is already very consistent before undertaker is taken into account. And not every class has access to efficient healing so a strong start as hunter can often lead to an easy end if they draw their burn cards due to the hero power.

It does often come back to spells being generally left to free reign, no taunts for them and only loatheb really can save you except only for a single round. I think either healing needs to be more available honestly. I don't think healing needs to be stronger than it is, but having more cards that heal at different mana points can definitely help.

In theory, there are already like 4-5 neutral cards that heal (ignoring fringe cases like gelbin):
voodoo doctor
earthen ring farseer
darkscale healer
priestess of elune

And only one of those is really played and I think for good reason, although I have toyed with the idea of tossing darkscale healer into my shaman deck just to see how rare the heal is or not.

I think the idea of adding more neutral cards... may not actually be a good solution because then some classes that already have access to a lot of healing can become rather unkillable and you have a situation where you can't block healing, the same way you can't block spell damage. I think this is one of the reasons priestess of elune is not stronger than it is.

The solution becomes adding cards that have some healing capabilities to some if not all classes that already don't have one, but not direct healing. So for example:

Rogue

Crazed Marauder
When a minion dies, heal your hero for X hp.

Shaman

Totemtic Recall
Destroy all (or a single) friendly totems and heal for X hp per totem.

Hunter

Strength of the wild
Target beast received +2hp and heals your hero for 3hp at the end of the turn

Just examples, but this is the general idea I have.

johnsmith

remember me
Firebat's new mill deck is pretty hilarious. Watching him play it right now. He says he's bringing it to blizzcon, that'd be pretty amazing if he actually did.

iBjWTnp.png

Zemm

Why was Trump invited, but not Tides? Trump sucks.

Trump is OK being there imo, it's people like hasuobs and socke etc that shouldn't. RDU and Tides should have 100% been invited but they aren't Take's friends unlike the previous SC2 players, pretty bullshit some of the players invited and some that are missing.

Special C

Overextending is risk/reward. I'll usually overextend if I think the game might turn in my opponents favor soon based on the cards I have left in my deck and what I think my opponent has left. Some times it's worth gambling that your opponent doesnt have AoE is their hand. Sometimes you're actually taking a bigger risk by playing it slow.

NeoCross

Firebat's new mill deck is pretty hilarious. Watching him play it right now. He says he's bringing it to blizzcon, that'd be pretty amazing if he actually did.

iBjWTnp.png

I just tried this deck and holy shit it's so fun to play and also quite hilarious, specially if your opponents start killing your swords and deathlords and then you vanish them back to their hands.

Zemm

I feel like most players don't give themselves a chance in tournaments just from the decks they take. You're better off taking in the tried and tested rather than some weird gimmick deck that gets stomped on 9/10 times. It's not like the skill of the players is much different, if you have good decks you give yourself a chance with good draws and ban picks.

Then you face Zoo 5 times in a row and nothing is fun anymore.

backstab, preparation, bladeflurry... heck... 2 blade flurry... and even a fan of knives... I wouldn't be surprised in the least if this deck is favored against zoo. Only doomguard looks like a problematic card tbh.

I can't say for certain though because getting a coldlight oracle early could be pretty bad.

ShinNL

Guy was forced to trade his Shade because of my taunted up minions.

Couldn't score a lethal with Force of Nature, Innervate double Roar.

The turn after I taunted up again and his single card in his hand to score a lethal which he topdecked, Druid of the Claw, couldn't get through.

Added me and this is the 'conversation':

Worth :D

Guy was forced to trade his Shade because of my taunted up minions.

Couldn't score a lethal with Force of Nature, Innervate double Roar.

The turn after I taunted up again and his single card in his hand to score a lethal which he topdecked, Druid of the Claw, couldn't get through.

Added me and this is the 'conversation':

Worth :D

BaN THIS DudE

That'll teach you for playing shaman.

NeoCross

Then you face Zoo 5 times in a row and nothing is fun anymore.

Depends on the draws really, 3/5 of the zoos i've faced I beat (just barely though), if you get backstab, prep, flurry evis and trade with your stuff. Also if they already have a full hand and then you vanish all their stuff just dies, lol.

It really is hard to win with the deck though.

CoolOff

Depends on the draws really, 3/5 of the zoos i've faced I beat (just barely though), if you get backstab, prep, flurry evis and trade with your stuff. Also if they already have a full hand and then you vanish all their stuff just dies, lol.

Skill-wise mill-decks have to be among the most difficult tbh.

When does zoo ever have a full hand? The whole point of zoo is to dump your hand as fast as you can so that you can play Doomguard without discarding anything. The best you can hope for is shoving Doomguard back into his hand and him either holding it until his hand is empty again or putting it back out and discarding two cards.

CoolOff

When does zoo ever have a full hand? The whole point of zoo is to dump your hand as fast as you can so that you can play Doomguard without discarding anything. The best you can hope for is shoving Doomguard back into his hand and him either holding it until his hand is empty again or putting it back out and discarding two cards.

I did win against a Zoo by Sap-ing his Flame Imp twice.

inky

Look at this shit. Seriously, look at it.

e7DiB6o.png

It probably works 1 out of a million times too. He mulliganed 1 card. ONE. Of course I draw only 4s and not one of my silences either.

I did win against a Zoo by Sap-ing his Flame Imp twice.

Yeah, I could see that being effective, but a smart player probably wouldn't play the Flame Imp again until both Saps were used. But I would think that any mill deck would be at a disadvantage to zoo since the Warlock wouldn't have to Soul Tap to get cards and he could just endlessly dump minions on the board.

Just the luck... this priest managed to get rockbiter... hex... doomhammer... and blackknight off thoughtsteal. Not sure what better cards you could possibly ask for.

edit:
Just not my day today... just such bad luck.... I keep playing control decks, switch to a better deck vs control and start facing deathrattle aggro for the first time today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom