• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT3| Preparing for the Ball of Spiders Meta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Opiate

What would a new hero mean? Just a different picture/emotes, but same hero power?

Yes. It's a cosmetic change in almost all likelihood.

It also gives another thing for highly frequent players to run for. Do you have all the base cards because you hit level 30 with all classes? Okay, cool.

Now have you hit level 60 with all characters to get all the base golden cards? Okay, cool.

How about getting a golden portrait for your hero from getting 500 wins in ranked? Okay, cool.

How about getting a second priest/hunter/etc. hero from getting 500 more wins in ranked?

The list will always grow, mostly with harmless cosmetic stuff, like secondary hero options for each class.

Alternate heroes inc?

Bottom shows outline of new warrior portrait.

V11S8BE3R5NT1432947746204.jpg

Could it be this guy? Magni Bronzebeard

Magni_Action_Figure.jpg

Looks like Bronzebeard to me. Muradin I would assume
And I'm pretty sure these wouldn't just be cosmetic.

Opiate

It's good simply because such a hugely disproportionate number of current heroes are humans and orcs.

Of the 9 heroes in the game, 7 of them are human or orc. They threw a couple of elves in leather for seasoning and called it a day.

Opiate

If that is it its pretty disappointing. I was thinking something like multiple heroes for each class, but each hero has a different hero power.

It's possible, but becomes incredibly complicated and messy very fast. Balancing that many hero powers is extremely difficult.

Here, as a thought experiment, try even imagining a hero power which would fit with the current ones, but not be just a tweak on an existing hero power and not seem OP. It's hard to even come up with 1, let alone many, to add to the list of potential hero powers. Then, consider how all the cards would suddenly need to be rebalanced. For instance, I think a lot of Warlock cards would make far less sense if Warlocks suddenly had a different hero power and couldn't life tap. Some warrior cards would suddenly be very situational if they rely on armor. Rogue cards that buff your weapon become way more awkward, and so forth. I'm not saying it can't be balanced, but it would be really hard, and I'd rather they spend more time on new cards than whole new heroes.

It's good simply because such a hugely disproportionate number of current heroes are humans and orcs.

Of the 9 heroes in the game, 7 of them are human or orc. They threw a couple of elves in leather for seasoning and called it a day.

To be fair, Rexxar is half orc half ogre!

JesseZao

It's possible, but becomes incredibly complicated and messy very fast. Balancing that many hero powers is extremely difficult.

Here, as a thought experiment, try even imagining a hero power which would fit with the current ones and not seem OP. It's hard to even come up with 1, let alone many, to add to the list of potential hero powers.

New warrior hero power: Give 2 armor to minion.

gutshot

Alternate hero portraits? Nice. Hopefully some other cosmetic and UI updates are coming with it.

More deck slots plz.

Here, as a thought experiment, try even imagining a hero power which would fit with the current ones, but not be just a tweak on an existing hero power and not seem OP. It's hard to even come up with 1, let alone many, to add to the list of potential hero powers. Then, consider how all the cards would suddenly need to be rebalanced. For instance, I think a lot of Warlock cards would make far less sense if Warlocks suddenly had a different hero power and couldn't life tap. Some warrior cards would suddenly be very situational if they rely on armor. Rogue cards that buff your weapon become way more awkward, and so forth. I'm not saying it can't be balanced, but it would be really hard, and I'd rather they spend more time on new cards than whole new heroes.

Yeah I've been thinking of a Death Knight hero power for a while now and never came up with a balanced one.

Rapstah

I have this weird feeling that the "featured" section of Hearthcards is made up entirely, or almost entirely, of cards made by the owner of the site. More than once I've found a piece of obscure TCG art from the artist's personal blog or used some Deviantart fan art of a character in absence of there being good official art, and then two hours later there's a worse version of the card I made in the featured section with the exact same art I used. This keeps happening. I suppose it could all be a massive coincidence.

I know it's not all cards from the site owner because he featured my Fel Dragon card I made for that contest in the last OT from before I registered on Hearthcards.

Tacitus_

I do love how every deck has their "haters." Obviously a good number of people hate facehunters, but a great deal of people hate priests as well, as we just discussed. Some people hate the thoughsteal/mind control/cabal cards which take their stuff. Still others hate combo decks like Patron or like Freeze mage which basically never lets you do anything until they have their combo and then they blow you up.

Frankly I hate playing vs control priests a lot more than vs face hunters. At least face hunter games end soon, but playing vs control priests takes aaaageeees.

Rapstah

A unique DK only effect I thought of Was multi turn effects.

Death and Decay - deal one damage to all minions for the next 3 turns.

They've said they don't want to do DOT effects because they're confusing. A lot of shit is confusing, so the excuse barely holds, but I suspect it's the kind of thing they've made up their mind about. Like nine custom deck slots.

They've said they don't want to do DOT effects because they're confusing. A lot of shit is confusing, so the excuse barely holds, but I suspect it's the kind of thing they've made up their mind about. Like nine custom deck slots.

Ugh. Hope they change their minds on a lot.

They would have to show something special to show the effect is still going I guess.

FeD.nL

Took em long enough. Though wasn't Varian mentioned as the alt for the Warrior class in that interview? Really interested to see how far they take the customization, hope for some alternative art/sound bits for some class cards if not all of them.

Opiate

Frankly I hate playing vs control priests a lot more than vs face hunters. At least face hunter games end soon, but playing vs control priests takes aaaageeees.

Sure, I can see that. I know some people hate Druid, too, because if they get you to even 20 hp then you have to play as if any minion they have on board is potential lethal due to combo.

My point is that basically everyone has a different thing they hate. I personally get aggravated with rogue, for instance, because their cards are so inefficient and I love efficiency.

For the record, I have a very, very, very slow Warrior deck that is actually pretty good in certain metas. It has all the normal control warrior stuff (2x shield block 2x shield maidens 2x armorsmith etc) but also 2x healbots and 2x brawls. I have literally never lost against a facehunter, although I've lost against a couple mid range hunters. And it doesn't just beat facehunters; it beats them slowly and painfully, until they are topdecking and surrender on turn 10 or something. If you ever wanted not just to beat facehunters but torture them, I have the perfect deck for you!

Rapstah

Took em long enough. Though wasn't Varian mentioned as the alt for the Warrior class in that interview? Really interested to see how far they take the customization, hope for some alternative art/sound bits for some class cards if not all of them.

I'd say there's no way cards are changing because of Iron Juggernaut (no Alliance equivalent) and I'd say there's a 100% chance of some cards getting new voice overs because of Cairne's summoning quote against Warrior.

It's a shame if they make some of the more original Warcraft characters alternate cosmetic hero portraits instead of legendary cards with cool effects. :(

Lumine

Summon: 1/1 Ghoul with charge with text: Dies at end of turn.

Have some class spell army of the dead to raise all ghouls that have died this game.

Haha wow that is exactly what a friend and I came up with when thinking about a potential Death Knight class. Only difference is that I would have it say that it dies at the the start of your turn. So you can perhaps taunt them for one turn or something. I was also thinking about adding some freeze to go with the Death Knight theme. Perhaps a minion that gives other 'undead' minions the ability to freeze on damage. Also 'undead' needs to become a minion type then. :p

Milennia

hopefully these are alternate portraits and that they do them for each class.

playing as a non rexxar hunter would be a nice change for me.

Opiate

All I want is something a priest can drop on turn 2, which doesn't really exist right now, whether it be a neutral card or a class specific one.

You may say that lots of Priests play Wild Pyromancer, and that's true -- but it's not typically a turn 2 card. It's a later turn card that happens to cost 2 mana, not something you typically want to drop on turn 2.

The same is true of shrinkmeister, as another example; you play the card because of the effect, and the effect is nearly worthless if actually played on turn 2.

Shadowboxer is the closest thing Priests have to a card you would actually want to drop on turn 2, and it's widely considered to not be very good. Priests have fine options on turn 1 (Northshire obviously, but also mind vision in some rare instances), great turn 3 options and above, but very little for turn 2.

FeD.nL

I'd say there's no way cards are changing because of Iron Juggernaut (no Alliance equivalent) and I'd say there's a 100% chance of some cards getting new voice overs because of Cairne's summoning quote against Warrior.

It's a shame if they make some of the more original Warcraft characters alternate cosmetic hero portraits instead of legendary cards with cool effects. :(

Hmm, you're right about the Iron Juggernaut. I guess, assuming this is Magni, Grom is replaced with Muradin. Just thinking about it they should really re-do some of the cards in warrior (if they don't just want it to be a simple cash grab):

• Grommash Hellscream
  • Warsong Commander
  • Arathi Weaponsmith
  • Cruel Taskmaster
  • Kor'kron elite
  • Frothing beserker
  • Gorehowl
  • Fiery War Axe
I mean hopefully they really give it a proper dwarven flavor.

JesseZao

Hmm, you're right about the Iron Juggernaut. I guess, assuming this is Magni, Grom is replaced with Muradin. Just thinking about it they should really re-do some of the cards in warrior (if they don't just want it to be a simple cash grab):

• Grommash Hellscream
  • Warsong Commander
  • Arathi Weaponsmith
  • Cruel Taskmaster
  • Kor'kron elite
  • Frothing beserker
  • Gorehowl
  • Fiery War Axe

I'd be pleasantly surprised if they did that, but I'm not expecting it at all.

Tacitus_

Sure, I can see that. I know some people hate Druid, too, because if they get you to even 20 hp then you have to play as if any minion they have on board is potential lethal due to combo.

My point is that basically everyone has a different thing they hate. I personally get aggravated with rogue, for instance, because their cards are so inefficient and I love efficiency. !

I don't hate a single deck with such venom as some posters do here. Of course my temper flares at points when druid does some absurd ramping or combos, or when a priest steals all my best cards either from my deck or from my board.

Zoo lock can be very aggressive with very strong board presence early. The deck labeled "machine gun mage" which has become very popular recently (with flamewakers, mana wyrms and tons of low cost spells to beat you down very early) has tremendous early pressure, as well.

Face hunter is not the only agro deck. It's the fastest agro deck, but there always has to be a fastest. If we got rid of facehunter, then something else would become the fastest instead.

Please note that unlike Cagey, I have no conflict of interest or personal bias here (that's not intended as a slight, Cagey; I'm glad you admit to your preferences / playstyle openly). The only two classes I have level 60 of are Priest and Warrior (and I do NOT play Patron decks). I can say this as a Priest player: if Warlock and Hunter agro decks went away, Priest would be much too powerful, and Priests would become the new boogeyman instead. You need these fast decks to keep the ultra control styles -- like mine -- in check.

I've played both huntard and zoo and while both are agreessive the face hunter is on a whole other planet of fire and forget. I would be supportive of knocking down the fastest deck to something like zoo. Zoo, at least the variants I've played, require marginal more thought than the face hunter decks. Slowing down the game slightly would be ok with me.

• Grommash Hellscream
  • Warsong Commander
  • Arathi Weaponsmith
  • Cruel Taskmaster
  • Kor'kron elite
  • Frothing beserker
  • Gorehowl
  • Fiery War Axe

That's a LOT of work. I don't expect that.

Plus Anduin using Vol'jin suggests to me Blizz don't care a lot about lore in this

FeD.nL

I'd be pleasantly surprised if they did that, but I'm not expecting it at all.

With Blizzard you never know, I mean it has been in development for over a year and a half. Cautiously optimistic.

Was thinking about pricing and perhaps this is a good moment for Blizzard to also make it that bit more attractive for newer players by including some staples for certain classes. Let's say it costs €7,99 for just Magni. That gets you the new Art and sound bits and 2x Shield Slam, 1x Brawl 2x Armorsmith, 2x cruel taskmaster and Grommash Hellscream, basically making CW a bit more affordable for newer players.

For the veteran players that play it a lot you have all the alt Heroes in a pack without the cards for €50,-. I don't see Blizzard selling this for gold since it's not really gameplay and just there to generate revenue, though there might be an argument to just give it a huge gold price to get some gold out of veteran players their accounts before the next set of cards arrive.

Ah well probably over thinking it too much.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
No need, just print Dwarven warrior cards in a new set.

Been playing some OTK Mind Blast Priest and it's pretty fun. The best thing is that MB has a very quick animation and there's no aiming so you can drop Velen and throw them out in like two seconds. Compare this to Pyroblast or Fireball which is aimed and have longer animations, you know what's coming and just have to wait and watch. With the MB combo they are just insta dead from 20 HP lol.

Durden77

If anyone with artistic talent could draw a picture of the Innkeeper being savagely beaten while he's still got his stupid grin on and is saying one of his stupid greetings like "Boys! Look who it is!" I would greatly appreciate it

Been playing some OTK Mind Blast Priest and it's pretty fun. The best thing is that MB has a very quick animation and there's no aiming so you can drop Velen and throw them out in like two seconds. Compare this to Pyroblast or Fireball which is aimed and have longer animations, you know what's coming and just have to wait and watch. With the MB combo they are just insta dead from 20 HP lol.
That's what I'm playing as well and it's a blast, pun intended. I've had many games now where I'm 10 health or less then I blast them out of the game. Velen's got an awesome animation too.

On another note, I've won quite a few games now thanks to my extra Lightwardens, I'm glad I have them in the deck.

Haunted

Arcane Nullifier into Sludge Belcher really stops most aggressive face decks in their tracks. Nullifier resisting Skill Command and Fireball really puts him over the edge compared to Senjin, imo.

Rapstah

Kael'thas better be the mage alt.

He should be the Warlock alt. They have like 600 canon mages they can use for Jaina's replacement.

If they want to be funny they have Kael'thas as both the Mage and Warlock replacement. Mage was merely a setback. <---- funny 2006 meme

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom