• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT4| The warsong has ended, please patron other decks

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"

Previous Threads:
Beta - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=755759
OT1 - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=782919
OT5 - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=878696 (Accelerated by Unstable Portal)
OT6 - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1008907

------

Hr3iXm8.jpg

What is Hearthstone?
Hearthstone is a free-to-play online Collectible Card Game (F2POCCG, which is a real genre) from Blizzard, based on the Warcraft universe. Choose a hero corresponding to one of the nine classes in Vanilla WoW and create a deck using their signature mechanics to fight other players in Casual or Ranked matchmaking. Earn Gold for every three wins and use the Gold to buy booster packs in order to expand your card pool, or use the Gold to purchase a ticket to the Arena where you construct your own deck on the fly using a random pool of all cards in the game. There is no offline play, but there are singleplayer adventure modes.

Download the client (Windows, Mac) on the main site. Note, you will also need a Blizzard account to log in to their launcher.

How to play Hearthstone?
I'm not going to go into that here, just play the tutorial to learn the game.

How to really play Hearthstone?
Read articles, apply critical thinking, watch good streamers like Trump.

Is there an in-game/player-driven economy?
No. There is no card trading or buying cards from other players and there probably won't be anytime in the foreseeable future. In its place is a crafting system. You can disenchant cards you do not want for arcane dust. You can then use that arcane dust to craft cards you do want.

Is this game Pay2Win?'
Of a sort. The thing you should know about Hearthstone is that if you're not going to pay money, plan on playing a lot (read: grinding) or becoming really good at Arena. The longer a player has played, the bigger their card pool will be. This means that an older, frequent player will always have better cards than a newer player. This is just an unavoidable part of collectible card games.

A paying player can save a lot of time by buying boosters, but it's not cheap and they're not guaranteed the best of the best cards, which is, in the end, what separates good decks from the best decks. Buying some boosters right off, however, will help you build a foundation to reliably win games in order to get Gold.

If you really hate not having good cards, then stick to Arena, which is a "level" playing field for a certain definition of "level".

What's the balance like?
This far post release, the Hearthstone team is committed to only affecting balance changes when they are "absolutely necessary".

If I like MTG/YGO/blah blah blah, will I like this?
Hearthstone is simplistic compared to games like MTG and YGO. The reason for this is because of Hearthstone's asynchronous turns, which means that you can't make any moves on your opponents turns. Hearthstone does have it's own particular brand of complexity, but it's really designed from the ground up to be a "pick up and play game". If you're looking for a hardcore card game experience like MTG, you won't find it here, but if you're looking for a streamlined card game experience you can jump in and out of whenever you want, then Hearthstone is right for you.

Anyway it's free, so you don't lose much by giving it a shot.

peI9qrv.jpg

Le Reddit Guide - Probably the best place to start if you're totally new.
Trump Teachings - A video series by one of the game's most notable streamers. This is essentially Hearthstone 101 and is mandatory viewing for any new player looking for a crash course in Hearthstone strategy.
Liquid Hearth's Beginner Guides - Some of the info is outdated but the general ideas remain the same.
Three Competing Resources Parts 1, 2, 3 - A series of articles on "resources" in the context of a card game, which goes well beyond just mana.
Gold, Arcane Dust, and Real Money Tips - Some tips from yours truly about how you should be managing your gold, arcane dust, and any real money with Hearthstone.

zmCTLEI.jpg

Official Forums - A veritable nest of QQ and cries for nerf, just like your WoW days!
Team Liquid's Hearthstone Portal - Better place to discuss and learn about Hearthstone, frequently featuring competitive analysis and deck tech articles.
IHearthU - Another good site for high level Hearthstone discourse.
Hearthpwn and Managrind - Part of the Curse family of gaming sites, not only does it have an online database of cards and deck building tool, it is also home to ManaGrind, one of the premiere Hearthstone tournaments!
Hearthstone Wiki - Obligatory game wiki.
HearthArena - This website will help you out while drafting for arena. You enter the three cards you are presented for each pick and the tool will attempt to recommend you the best pick based on a general tier list and your current deck.
Gutshot's Hearthstone Collection Spreadsheet - You can use this to keep track of your current card collection.

jPH90XN.jpg

Amaz: YouTube, Twitch - Over the top reactions, priest-focused. Constructed and arena.
Brian Kibler: YouTube, Twitch - High level, educational stream. Constructed-only.
Forsen: Twitch -"For fun" stream. Politically Incorrect. Twitch at its best/worst depending on who you ask. Constructed-only.
Guardsman Bob: Twitch - High level arena play
Kolento: YouTube, Twitch - Arguably the best player in the world. Very high level stream.
Kripparian: YouTube. Twitch - Decent arena play. Good YouTube content.
Trump: YouTube, Twitch - Nice guy. Lots of good YouTube content. Somewhat high level analysis. Constructed and arena.
Funny and Lucky Moments: YouTube - Crazy play montages.

TBKEMcK.jpg

Hearthstone Calendar
Team Liquid Calendar

embalm

Savage Combatant could be really great. A 3 damage hero power is pretty crazy. If druid gets a few more beasts and good inspire cards, they could come out of the expansion with a new deck. They need a type of beast only card draw to really make the deck different from all the Ramp variants. It could happen though.

I really like Flame Juggler. The rng sucks, but it's better than nothing. Shaman, Priest, and Paladin don't have a way to ping for 1 damage, which is incredibly valuable. This ping comes with a good body for it's cost. Even with the coin flip to hit face, I think the card offers enough utility to be used in several mid-range decks.

Clockwork Knight is a really good card stat wise. It could be great in a slower mech deck, which isn't seen much. I remember being really surprised that Mech Yeti was in so many mech decks, so it's possible for stats+synergy to earn a card a deck slot.
I think it could replace a 1 drop in any mech deck, for a more mid-range style of play.
It could replace Fell Reaver in any mech deck, especially when BGH gets really popular.

Tubie

Awesome thread title lol.

That new juggler and mech cards I saw in the other OT seem pretty good to me.

Forkball

I hate it when I get a daily where I have to win with a class I never use. Why can't all the dailies be mage related?

Heropon

That's me today with that Rogue and Druid 60G quest. I need a lot of expensive cards for Druid and everytime I manage to put a 7 attack minion, it gets BGH'd (poor experimental Mech-Bear Cat) and Rogue with zero blade flurries seems very underwhelming.

gutshot

I hate it when I get a daily where I have to win with a class I never use. Why can't all the dailies be mage related?

That's me today with that Rogue and Druid 60G quest. I need a lot of expensive cards for Druid and everytime I manage to put a 7 attack minion, it gets BGH'd (poor experimental Mech-Bear Cat) and Rogue with zero blade flurries seems very underwhelming.

Just wait until Tavern Brawl opens up. It'll likely be pre-built decks this week.

Ladekabel

Yay, new thread!

Have the daily where I have to win 5 games with druid and another class I don't play. I don't have Big Game Hunter and I'm feeling it. Always have to throw everything against Rag or Dr. Boom. I hope Druid gets better removal in this expansion.

bjaelke

Should've been "random enemy minion" to take out that pesky Worgen Infiltrator.

As far wording goes it seems a bit inconsistent - usually it would be "enemy character" instead of just "enemy". But I suppose that's Blizzard for you.

Fireblend

Banned
I know reddit would probably be a better place for this question (and I did ask, I just want more input), but I asked this yesterday on the previous thread and didn't get any response so I'd like to try again:

Could I get some input on this rogue deck I put together? It's been winning me games at rank 18-17 but I know it's pretty subpar because of my lack of a decent collection. I don't like Sap, and Betrayal sits on my hand most of the time without seeing any use. I'd also like to replace the Kobold with an Azure Drake but I don't have the dust for one yet. Any ideas? I'm close to replacing the Sap with a second Defias Ringleader. For reference, I have access to Naxx and plan to buy the rest of BRM (last 2 wings) soon-ish.

Magnus

Man, we didn't have any better titles than that? lol

I mean, I get the joke - lots of pro Arena cards introduced lately (that won't work in Constructed)....

New thread, yay!

I LOVE Clockwork Knight just for being Clockwork Knight. Cool art and character (and am glad to see existing tribes get new cards). Just bummed that the card text is lackluster.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"

Hey man. I was about to leave for work and needed to come up with something quick. Cut me some slack.

Besides, other people like it so there. =P

I know reddit would probably be a better place for this question (and I did ask, I just want more input), but I asked this yesterday on the previous thread and didn't get any response so I'd like to try again:

The first question should always be "how are you trying to win?" Your deck seems to be quite a mixture of fast and slow cards, with no real win condition.

Something like leper gnomes, shattered sun clerics and stormwind champions would do better than KT, the Sunwalker and zombie chows if you want to win quickly.

If the game lasts longer than that, you are probably going to lose to faster decks, or stronger cards.

I mean, I get the joke - lots of pro Arena cards introduced lately (that won't work in Constructed)....

New thread, yay!

I LOVE Clockwork Knight just for being Clockwork Knight. Cool art and character (and am glad to see existing tribes get new cards). Just bummed that the card text is lackluster.

Thinking about how things would play out in regard to mana curve, I disagree with everyone who has been saying that Clockwork Knight is lackluster. Sure, the effect is the same as Shattered Sun Cleric, which doesn't see much play anymore, but the card is played in drastically different circumstances. Just consider the two cards that ideally would precede this card and receive its buff: Piloted Shredder and Mechanical Yeti.

When Piloted Shredder is buffed, although it still dies to itself, it gets put out of range of cards like Violet Teacher. It also allows Shredder to trade with most 5 drops, which typically have 5 health. Moreover, it puts Shredder out of range of Sludge Belcher.

When Mechanical Yeti is buffed, it gets put out of range of 4-drop + hero power except when facing a 5/4, which typically isn't run in constructed. It also puts the card out of range of the typical 5 damage from 5 drops, and gives the card 5 damage, allowing it to kill most 5 drops.

Keep in mind that you also get a 5/5 minion with this buff. Clockwork Knight could definitely work in a midrange mech deck. I think you guys are underestimating it.

Magnus

Hey man. I was about to leave for work and needed to come up with something quick. Cut me some slack.

Besides, other people like it so there. =P

lol, sorry! Didn't mean to be disrespectful. I'm sure new events will take place that inspire (LOL) new titles. The Magni-fy your wallet was always so clever, I thought.

Fireblend

Banned
The first question should always be "how are you trying to win?" Your deck seems to be quite a mixture of fast and slow cards, with no real win condition.

Something like leper gnomes, shattered sun clerics and stormwind champions would do better than KT, the Sunwalker and zombie chows if you want to win quickly.

If the game lasts longer than that, you are probably going to lose to faster decks, or stronger cards.

I was aiming for something like a control deck, but the recommendations I got from reddit also tell me it seems like it's a faster thing. Guess I'll have to aim towards that instead. I've been using the tempo mage template for such a long time I'm really attached to the chows but I guess I have to let them go :p

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Yay! New thread!

Guys I got a lot better at this game this month and it feels good. The past couple months I've been faltering around ranks 15-13, but after crafting Boom, Sylvanas, Ragnaros, some key rares and epics, and getting Antonidas and Ysera in a pack this month, I've been making my way up the latter with my tempo mage. Currently sitting at rank 8, but the highest I've gotten is 7. Gonna see how far I can go before the season restarts!

I also have a midrange hunter deck that I like, and a patron warrior that I'm pretty awful with. I'll stick with mage for now and try to get that golden portrait (halfway there).

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Fucking hell, I wanted to use the brawl to clear off my class daily. Ergggh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom