• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT5| Corrupted Deeprock Salt

CoolOff

OT6 soon.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
If Blizzard makes a bunch of really powerful Deathrattle cards as Naxxramas is being phased out I dunno that I'd feel very positive about the direction of the game moving forward.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Rogue card is kind of boring and only marginally playable.

Why couldn't it get a competent body FFS. Would a 3/4 really be that bad? It dies to leper gnome! The toxins seem okay but they're still also only vanilla effects.

Oh well at least it works with Nzoth.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Rogue card is kind of boring and only marginally playable.

Why couldn't it get a competent body FFS. Would a 3/4 really be that bad? It dies to leper gnome! The toxins seem okay but they're also only vanilla effects.

Oh well at least it works with Nzoth.
It's seems extraordinarily cost efficient even without a strong body, since you're drawing two powerful low cost spells. It has both Battlecry and Deathrattle synergy as well. It's okay for Rogue to have minions that don't stick on the board. It doesn't really need them.

Haly

It's seems extraordinarily cost efficient even without a strong body, since you're drawing two powerful low cost spells. It has both Battlecry and Deathrattle synergy as well. It's okay for Rogue to have minions that don't stick on the board. It doesn't really need them.

I'm just not sure I want to play this alongside Violet Teacher, as well as they work together.

Thinking about it my main issue is that it costs 4 mana. At 4+ mana you're no longer looking for many combo activators so much as bodies: Violet Teacher, Azure Drake, Tomb Pillager, Belcher (rip), Loatheb (rip). I would've liked it more at 2 mana as a 1/1 or 1/2. Setting up a miracle turn on turn 4? Maybe, but I'd rather draw stealth and Auctioneer than bet on stealth and draw.

The dream, I guess, is Xeril on T4 getting Stealth Toxin. Violet Teacher on T5 then stealth it. Auctioneer on T6, prep conceal, do the things, but that's a long shot. I'm just not confident it's preferable to classic Violet Teacher T4 bait removal, Azure Backstab T5, Auctioneer T6, prep conceal.

It looks like more of a tempo/value card (Toshley was a value card) than a combo card and a 3/2 for 4 isn't a tempo play.

Pooya

If Blizzard makes a bunch of really powerful Deathrattle cards as Naxxramas is being phased out I dunno that I'd feel very positive about the direction of the game moving forward.

They are not and that's good. The only deathrattle card that summons something is that awful 4 drop. Every other deathrattle card just does something instead, it buffs or gives a card and similar. It's fair. No more two in one minions.

That makes raptor a lot worse and a N'Zoth battlecry isn't going to be as stupid as it looks like outside of paladin so far. Something like a brawl or even flamestrike can answer that board and it actually kills everything not for it to summon a whole bunch of new creatures. It's not that threatening, it's fair. They weren't going to print N'Zoth if we had cards like we have today.

The rogue legendary is actually awful in raptor rogue. You don't play a 4 mana 3/2 in a 1-2-3 curve midrange deck. Most of the spells aren't even very useful for that deck.

Miracle decks benefit from every outcome, even the stealth part. It's also not a huge blow to play 4 mana 3/2 in there as you will be able to setup really stupid turns later on. The card makes a lot more sense in there. Just because it has deathrattle, doesn't mean it's good for a deathrattle themed deck.

I actually don't get how people think raptor rogue is coming back when the deck is mediocre at best when we have all these broken deathrattle cards right now. Because of N'Zoth? Nah. not happening, not with the cards we've seen anyway. A 10 mana cards isn't going to help that deck.

'Blizzard is pushing it, so it's going to be a thing' isn't good reasoning either. Blizzard has been pushing a lot of deck ideas, most of them have been really really bad. Yeah, we had Ben Brode openly pushing for Camel Hunter and Bolster Warrior! We have murloc shaman...dragon warrior and paladin also, those two were okish at least.

All I said is that it seems like they're continuing to push deathrattle for rogues and that n'zoth seems to make sense. I was one of the people saying deathrattle rogue wouldn't work when raptor was added and I was right. I thought it only had a chance to work as a slower deck too, which was fairly slim chance of happening anyhow. But now we're moving into relatively unchartered territories.

One of the problems with the deathrattle rogue is that it lacked an end game plan. N'zoth seems like it could be a way to finish the game, with the vast amount of value and board presence you get off it. I think N'zoth might be a bit underrated, perhaps like dr. boom was. Surely n'zoth isn't and will never be as ubiquitous as boom, but I wouldn't be surprised to see people complaining about the amount of value and board presence n'zoth actually provides.

Haly

I just used Burgle in Arena for the first time and got Holy Nova and Velen's. Why do people hate this card?

Imagine if you had Velen's and Holy Nova singletons in your deck except 90% of the time they're some other Priest card instead and only when you play against Priest.

Would you slot a card that is, in potentia, 80 different cards into a deck? Probably not. That's anti-deck building. It's the equivalent of slamming "suggest a card", only with slightly better quality (may change for the worse come Standard because a lot of great class cards are rotating out).

Hell, even Thoughtsteal is no longer as staple for Control as Arcane Intellect is. Drawing cards not from your deck is simply not efficient unless those cards are AMAZING.

Imagine if you had Velen's and Holy Nova singletons in your deck except 90% of the time they're some other Priest card instead and only when you play against Priest.

Would you slot a card that is, in potentia, 80 different cards into a deck? Probably not. That's anti-deck building. It's the equivalent of slamming "suggest a card", only with slightly better quality (may change for the worse come Standard because a lot of great class cards are rotating out).

Hell, even Thoughtsteal is no longer as staple for Control as Arcane Intellect is. Drawing cards not from your deck is simply not efficient unless those cards are AMAZING.
It seems solid to include one in Arena, though. Like an Arcane Intellect for Rogues.

Pooya

One of the problems with the deathrattle rogue is that it lacked an end game plan. N'zoth seems like it could be a way to finish the game, with the vast amount of value and board presence you get off it. I think N'zoth might be a bit underrated, perhaps like dr. boom was. Surely n'zoth isn't and will never be as ubiquitous as boom, but I wouldn't be surprised to see people complaining about the amount of value and board presence n'zoth actually provides.

Against control decks it's not going to do much without sticky minions. Control decks don't have to spend three cards to kill your stuff anymore like they have to now against raptor rogue. Against other decks it's game winning for sure even if you play these new 'fair' deathrattle cards. I don't think the card is weak but I'm not sure it fits rogue. Just getting to that point when you can get value from it with rogue seems really hard without belchers and healbots and things like that. Other classes have better tools to use it.

I can see people complaining about this card in control paladin for sure, I just dealt with cairne and tirion, they just came back? and this guy has heals and removals for days? yeah that can get annoying.

Haly

It seems solid to include one in Arena, though. Like an Arcane Intellect for Rogues.

Arcane Intellect isn't a priority pick for Mage even if it's not strictly bad. Cant imagine its much better for Rogue, especially at the rare slot.

I don't play Arena anymore though so who knows for sure!

Dahbomb

I just used Burgle in Arena for the first time and got Holy Nova and Velen's. Why do people hate this card?
Why do people hate Burgle?

Burgle is an alright card for a Control Rogue. It's not a bad card but on average it's worse than Thoughsteal (except when you are at the fatigue stage or playing against a super high synergy deck) and Arcane Intellect. Drawing from a pool of random class cards is worse than randomly drawing from your opponents deck which is worse than drawing from your own deck.

Burgle just doesn't fit into the playstyle that is common to competitive Rogue decks. It's the same dilemma Dreadscale faces as as Hunter card. Rogue wants to draw very specific cards in their deck to initiate some powerful combo, Burgle doesn't enable this.

It's a fine card in Arena as a card draw option. Just don't get too many of these of course, it's stI'll negative tempo.

Non-salt related title pls

Hearthstone |OT6| C'Thun, Have Fun.

Only two things come to mind for me. The first is Spiteful Smith.

Even if that worked, which it wouldn't, you'd still be better off with the weapon you get from upgrade. Stealth blingtron buff though...sort of. I really hope they add a corrupted one that lets you discover a weapon. That would be something you could have some fun with.

The rogue legendary is actually awful in raptor rogue.

Never heard of it.

Even if that worked, which it wouldn't, you'd still be better off with the weapon you get from upgrade.

I mean, I mentioned how it would never work since Warriors can't keep minions alive, it's not how they work.

But in the best case scenario, where it does work as an 'endless' 4/2 weapon, how is a 1/3 better? I mean, I understand the fact that a 1 Mana 1/3 weapon is overall better than a 5 Mana 2/2 weapon, but I thought we were talking hypothetical dream situations here.

And I'm not trying to argue it's a good card, I just find it more constructive to talk about fun ideas then just complain about everything.

Tarazet

Yiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiikes. I like the new Shieldbearer, but if that's the new Warrior weapon, I might have to think twice about going back to Control Warrior.

Then again, I do have two copies of Gorehowl. And golden Arcanite Reapers.

I mean, I mentioned how it would never work since Warriors can't keep minions alive, it's not how they work.

But in the best case scenario, where it does work as an 'endless' 4/2 weapon, how is a 1/3 better? I mean, I understand the fact that a 1 Mana 1/3 weapon is overall better than a 5 Mana 2/2 weapon, but I thought we were talking hypothetical dream situations here.

And I'm not trying to argue it's a good card, I just find it more constructive to talk about fun ideas then just complain about everything.

Well, you need to extend it and I'd argue 1 mana 3/3 is better than a 5 mana 4/2. Beyond that, you could also use upgrade to buff a war axe or something giving you a 6/3. Even then you would still have 2 mana to spare.

Basically the only situation it is good is in arena when you may not get another weapon. In that scenario, always having one is going to get stronger and stronger as the game goes on (and you will not necessarily always face big drops). In constructed? You'll want to equip something else because a weak weapon will just get you killed.

Well, you need to extend it and I'd argue 1 mana 3/3 is better than a 5 mana 4/2. Beyond that, you could also use upgrade to buff a war axe or something giving you a 6/3. Even then you would still have 2 mana to spare.

Basically the only situation it is good is in arena when you may not get another weapon. In that scenario, always having one is going to get stronger and stronger as the game goes on (and you will not necessarily always face big drops). In constructed? You'll want to equip something else because a weak weapon will just get you killed.

Yeah, fair enough. I honestly don't know Warriors well enough to really say much else out of a dream situation, that sounds like it's not even that good. It's just a shame that a decent card idea is hampered so much by it's low attack.

It's like hunter hero power except instead of paying 4 mana for 4 damage, you pay 5. And a little bit more flexible as well. It's not the worst card ever, however it just doesn't seem to be worth playing over other weapons or cards regardless.

Yeah, the more I think about it, I like the analogy. It's like a second hero power... almost.

Zoggy

it's crazy how kripp still brings in more viewers than the asian championships.

this is the equivalent of a random regular season game drawing in more ratings than a playoff game.

blizzard should tell other streamers to stop when they start their broadcast. all they're doing is dividing up userbases and viewerships.

the more i think about it, i want e-sports to be a viable and respectable thing, and i think they're doing some things right but then again they're doing some things REALLY wrong.

Tarazet

It's like hunter hero power except instead of paying 4 mana for 4 damage, you pay 5. And a little bit more flexible as well. It's not the worst card ever, however it just doesn't seem to be worth playing over other weapons or cards regardless.

Yeah, the more I think about it, I like the analogy. It's like a second hero power... almost.

It's better than Hunter hero power, since it is a weapon and there are all sorts of things you can do with weapons that Steady Shot doesn't. But Arcanite Reaper is a basic card, and it is clearly better.. and this is an epic, so in arena, which is the only place it would likely see play, you're going to have to choose between Tentacles and something like Brawl or Gorehowl or a giant.

it's crazy how kripp still brings in more viewers than the asian championships.

this is the equivalent of a random regular season game drawing in more ratings than a playoff game.

blizzard should tell other streamers to stop when they start their broadcast. all they're doing is dividing up userbases and viewerships.

the more i think about it, i want e-sports to be a viable and respectable thing, and i think they're doing some things right but then again they're doing some things REALLY wrong.
It's up to Blizzard to make the game interesting enough to watch constructed.

The new stuff can't come fast enough. Game is so damn stale now.

Also is there any decent viable priest deck out there? Seems like only the control variant is semi-viable and you better hope to god you draw your board clear early on and the other guy don't have too good of a hand. Too bad the new priest cards don't exactly inspire confidence.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
The new stuff can't come fast enough. Game is so damn stale now.

Also is there any decent viable priest deck out there? Seems like only the control variant is semi-viable and you better hope to god you draw your board clear early on and the other guy don't have too good of a hand. Too bad the new priest cards don't exactly inspire confidence.

Dragon Priest is actually pretty good. And Control Priest is pretty good right now thanks to Entomb.

I don't see it as helping a fatigue match-up, because it does go back to your hand. If it was shuffled back into your deck then there would be something there.

Yeah, now I'm wondering, is there a match up where an extra 2 damage ping would somehow warrant the 1 card slot you would have to give this card. At the very least, I think its safe to say if you ran that weapon, you would never need 2.

You know what would make it a good card? If there was a Warrior card that was "Discover a Weapon", so if you ended up in the 1/50 games where the card is good, you could just pick it then.

jgminto

Just reached Rank 3 with Control Warrior. Those were some fun matches, the Secret Pally occurrences being low in that bracket certainly helped my enjoyment. Kinda crazy how much more fun the game can be without the existence of a single card.

Zoggy

another thing thats pissing me off about this having the ASIAN championships in california thing.

why the hell is it being streamed at 2 am in the east coast?

obviously its pre-recorded.

why not spend some money (just little bit more money than you would have spent to fly all these players to cali, to just fly a crew to asia) and make the asian community more involved?

it even makes me feel like crap.

god blizzard, who is your PR director.

Zoggy

lets appreciate these asiain great players by putting on a tv quality show (which it is, twitch sream is the nect level of tv, all in all, this is a great thing).....

the fakeness of the background tv flashight makes it all seem fake.

Top Bottom