• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT5| Corrupted Deeprock Salt

Zemm

They really should have used this opportunity to change some hero powers if they want to change the deck types classes use.

Pooya

Without death's bite warrior is just so helpless. Look at that standard tournament see how it was. Blizzard actually wants you to play that 1 drop in warrior in constructed.

Pooya

Not just compared with druid. You can't do simple things without death's bite. Execute is a lot worse. You can't draw cards, Gromm is worse, armorsmith is worse. It's not just a weapon. Playing whirlwind is bad, it won't really help and you have to cut something for a low impact card. It only made sense to put it in patron.

They really should have used this opportunity to change some hero powers if they want to change the deck types classes use.
I think Warrior, Hunter, and Shaman need changes, but they're all easy to fix:
Warrior - give +2 armor to the Hero, or +1 health to a target minion.
Hunter - deal 2 damage to the opposing Hero, or +1 attack to a target minion.

These are easy because they both correlate with the Mage's hero power - either negate the 1 damage with +1 health, or let a minion do that 1 extra damage. The Hunter power can't be as versatile on the board as the Mage power because it does 2 face damage, but it still provides an option for playing a board-based deck to some degree.

The Shaman power should either let you choose a totem, or be redesigned entirely. No ideas here.

The Warlock power gets a lot of complaints, but I really like it. The only change I might want to make to it is to be able to suck 2 life from one of your minions to heal for 2, but it might not even get used.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Not just compared with druid. You can't do simple things without death's bite. Execute is a lot worse. You can't draw cards, Gromm is worse, armorsmith is worse. It's not just a weapon. Playing whirlwind is bad, it won't really help and you have to cut something for a low impact card. It only made sense to put it in patron.

Back in the day Control Warriors ran a Wild Pyromancer. I imagine some of them will try again, while others will try to reinvent the entire deck.

This was on top of two Whirlwinds and two Cruel Taskmasters generally.

It's entirely possible that they just stop running cards like Armorsmith and Gromm. Blizzard said their goal is to get 10 or less cards from the Basic/Classic cards used in any high end deck. While they felt they wouldn't reach that goal this time, if they're headed in that direction, a lot of cards are going to have to fall out of favor.

Catvoca

Banned
I'm lttp but that new rogue legendary is pretty cool. It'll be great with gadgetzan if that sort of deck survives the nerfs. That Warrior card though....Blizzard really has not know what to do with Warrior weapons since they made Death's Bite. I bet they are very glad it's leaving standard.

I'm surprised to see so many people worried about the viability of Warrior without it though, I feel like control warrior has always been a top tier deck, even before Naxx. I'm sure it'll still be strong no matter what happens when standard is brought in, it might just be slightly weaker.

Death's bite being an enabler for execute was one of the strongest things in the game. Essentially makes assassinate look like a joke while death's bite already can trade 2-1, it essentially enables a 1 mana assassinate on top of that. Now they'll have to run execute enablers like taskmaster, which isn't even much of a downside anyway.

C2ndorW.png

Fireball isn't in every mage deck. Fatigue mage doesn't run it and neither does the echo of mediev mage and sometimes control mage.

I have seen Fireball in all of those decks. It's very efficient removal. Why wouldn't a fatigue mage run it?

Polymorph to deal with stickier threats, or forgotten torch to get extra card draw, or perhaps only running a single fireball. I recall in gvg playing a lot of fatigue mage decks that didn't run fireball or if they did it was a 1 of. Fireball's edge comes in because you can hit a minion or face, but if you only ever need to hit minions, then other cards stand out more, or with forgotten torch having the additional card draw stands out more.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
So far we have only seen new cards revealed, right? We've only heard about what cards might be changed, but nothing confirmed?

Yeah, Blizzard basically said they are going to announce the nerfs as late as possible. We may not find out about them until the day the expansion hits.

So the new rogue legendary...

I think it is interesting. Also because the other rogue minion helps create a card advantage, maybe we'll see some kind of hand rogue.

As for stats... 3/3 or 4/2 and the card seems a lot more appealing. It just seems like a lot to spend on low stats to get mediocre cards. It guess it'll be easier to judge once the rest of the cards and card nerfs are announced... and played with.

The toxins seem okay and kinda make this minion worth playing on turn 5 to get use of the toxin immediately if needed.

In terms of deck building, seems like they continue to push rogue in the deathrattle route. I guess nzoth rogue makes sense.

So the new rogue legendary...

I think it is interesting. Also because the other rogue minion helps create a card advantage, maybe we'll see some kind of hand rogue.

As for stats... 3/3 or 4/2 and the card seems a lot more appealing. It just seems like a lot to spend on low stats to get mediocre cards. It guess it'll be easier to judge once the rest of the cards and card nerfs are announced... and played with.

The toxins seem okay and kinda make this minion worth playing on turn 5 to get use of the toxin immediately if needed.

In terms of deck building, seems like they continue to push rogue in the deathrattle route. I guess nzoth rogue makes sense.
Yeah, play a 10 mana minion to get back on board a 2/2 and a 3/2... not really worth it.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
That Warrior weapon is...yeesh.

Ignoring actually spending the 5 mana, a 2/2 is most effective early while dropping off hardcore later in the game when you're actually going to be able to play it.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I can't think of anything that would make that warrior weapon good that you couldn't just use on another weapon. Maybe something that makes you immune when using weapons the rest of the game?

It's still not worth it. A bunch of vanilla low stats minions are irrelevant on turn 10 if they don't have powerful effects.
Like it was already said you want to play N'Zoth for Tirion, Sylvanas and the like. Also Belcher and maybe Shredder in wild.
So...play those? What are you getting at?

Pooya

I can't think of anything that would make that warrior weapon good that you couldn't just use on another weapon. Maybe something that makes you immune when using weapons the rest of the game?

There won't be. Epic cards in every set mostly tend to be really awful than playable for some reason.

There won't be. Epic cards in every set mostly tend to be really awful than playable for some reason.
Epics are supposed to tie together deck themes, bringing them to culmination in viability. The problem arises when the theme doesn't lead to anything great. For a good example, Shield Slam gives justification to all of the armor cards CW plays. For a bad example, Dark Bargain is extemely strong if you have already ditched most of your hand through other discard effects.

So...play those? What are you getting at?
Right now rouge doesn't have strong deathrattle minions, and the strong neutral ones are leaving standard (except Sylavana and maybe a other few). What are you going to play? the new 2/2, the new legendary, anub'arak, tomb pillager, loot hoarder, ecc.? They are all pretty much irrelevant since don't do anything the turn you play n'zoth. It's the same concept why people don't play anyfin with random murlocs.
Maybe standard will be so slow that you can make a play like that and win, but I doubt it.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist

The core pholoiphy seems to be that they are cards to build a deck around. You get something like Mysterious Challenger for Secret Paly, Preparation for the Miracle Rogue style, Gorehound for Control Warrior, Lock and Load for a spell heavy miracle hunter, Feign Death for Death Rattle Hunter, Sabotage for Control Rogue, Echo for Echo Mage, Ice Block for Freeze Mage, Ancestor's Call for Malogos Shaman, Sea Reaver as a Whirlwind/Patron Warrior tool, Demonheart is for an Aggressive Warlock Demon deck, Anima Golem is for a Zoo Warlock, Siltfin Spiritwalker is for Murloc Shaman, the list goes on and on.

Most of them are designed to build a deck or archetype around. Some (Most?) fall flat, but it pretty easy to see what Blizzard is going for with most of them.

Except right now, I don't see what Blizard is going for with Tentacles for Arm. Well, I shouldn't say that, they are going for a tool that is good in long, fatigue games. I don't get why they think its a good tool though. Maybe if N'zoth also summoned Death Rattle Weapons, but he doesn't.

Right now rouge doesn't have strong deathrattle minions, and the strong neutral ones are leaving standard (except Sylavana and maybe a other few). What are you going to play? the new 2/2, the new legendary, anub'arak, tomb pillager, loot hoarder, ecc.? They are all pretty much irrelevant since don't do anything the turn you play n'zoth. It's the same concept why people don't play anyfin with random murlocs.
Maybe standard will be so slow that you can make a play like that and win, but I doubt it.
We don't know all of the "rouge" cards yet, so judgement is premature.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
You know, since it looks like Blizzard is giving the streamers mostly the Epics and Legendaries, and that the steamer pool will dry up around April 10th, I think they are going to reveal the full expansion between the 10th and 15th, and the expansion will come out the week after, around the 18th to 22nd.

You know, since it looks like Blizzard is giving the streamers mostly the Epics and Legendaries, and that the steamer pool will dry up around April 10th, I think they are going to reveal the full expansion between the 10th and 15th, and the expansion will come out the week after, around the 18th to 22nd.

I say to expect early May until Blizzard says otherwise. Can't be disappointed that way.

It's still bad.

Yep, arathi weaponsmith is way better and you could even feel the urge to bounce it back if you wanted to.

Which you wouldn't, which is good, because you wouldn't be running it.

The rogue card is amazing. The big thing the class was lacking was easy combo enablers, and this guy will most likely give you two extra ones. This includes perhaps a bonus shadowstep, which enables all sorts of bullshit. Remember C'Thun is lurking.

Tagyhag

In Brawl, does having multiple duplicate minions dead mean a bigger chance of resurrecting them? I just got 6 zombies in a row and it was the most frustrating thing.

And I can see how KT is OP. This Rafaam won about 90% of the RNG in the whole match and still barely won.

Only two things come to mind for me. The first is Spiteful Smith. You'd have an 'endless' 4 attack weapon. There's also Orgrimmar Aspirant, which could work out as well, but it ends up being really clunky since it resets to 2 after every weapon breaks. Thinking about it like that, it would be really cool if the weapon carried over any buffs from things like Orgrimmar Aspirant or Upgrade.

But outside of mechanics that don't exist yet, I can't think of anything.

It's still not worth it. A bunch of vanilla low stats minions are irrelevant on turn 10 if they don't have powerful effects.
Like it was already said you want to play N'Zoth for Tirion, Sylvanas and the like. Also Belcher and maybe Shredder in wild.

There is nothing wrong with sylvanas in rogue. I also think it is really silly that you say n'zoth's impact would be irrelevant. If it summons 6 minions, we're talking about putting out something like 36+ stats on the board from a single card, each with deathrattle except for n'zoth itself. That is on the low end of stats, assuming 4 stats per minion.

It's at least worth being open minded about.

Pooya

The rogue legendary is actually awful in raptor rogue. You don't play a 4 mana 3/2 in a 1-2-3 curve midrange deck. Most of the spells aren't even very useful for that deck.

Miracle decks benefit from every outcome, even the stealth part. It's also not a huge blow to play 4 mana 3/2 in there as you will be able to setup really stupid turns later on. The card makes a lot more sense in there. Just because it has deathrattle, doesn't mean it's good for a deathrattle themed deck.

I actually don't get how people think raptor rogue is coming back when the deck is mediocre at best when we have all these broken deathrattle cards right now. Because of N'Zoth? Nah. not happening, not with the cards we've seen anyway. A 10 mana cards isn't going to help that deck.

'Blizzard is pushing it, so it's going to be a thing' isn't good reasoning either. Blizzard has been pushing a lot of deck ideas, most of them have been really really bad. Yeah, we had Ben Brode openly pushing for Camel Hunter and Bolster Warrior! We have murloc shaman...dragon warrior and paladin also, those two were okish at least.

Top Bottom