• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT7/7| _ Give Tyrande | _ Blizzard: Give Amazon Money

Status
Not open for further replies.

inky

I think the best thing they can do to arena to shake it up a bit, is to change the appearance rate of the rarities.

Also, LOL @ kripp trying to use 45 games total to show a disparity between winrates going first or second.

Here:

21321lwu3p.png

Apathy

Brawl is pretty easy because Nef starts at 0 attack so you don't have to trade early, and his attacks aren't particularly devastating.

It's annoying though when you swap hands and your partner plays all the good stuff you've been saving up. Ended up with a super buff Fiola but he would do things like Banana before attacking. Would've won a lot easier had he not wasted Windfury on another minion.

Another 20 dust, but at least I got Defender of Argus.

All you need is for whoever is playing shaman to not play trueheart and let that go to the priest otherwise it's just gg on the spot

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Shamans using turn one rockbiter on nef

Shamans using windfury on the 3/4 minion and not the 34/34 gargoyle i built up

Save me

wiibomb

Brawl is pretty easy because Nef starts at 0 attack so you don't have to trade early, and his attacks aren't particularly devastating.

It's annoying though when you swap hands and your partner plays all the good stuff you've been saving up. Ended up with a super buff Fiola but he would do things like Banana before attacking. Would've won a lot easier had he not wasted Windfury on another minion.

Another 20 dust, but at least I got Defender of Argus.

it kinda evens when he does the 4-5 damage to all minions or when he does 30 damage to all minions

inky

But Kripp was saying how crazy it was that mage had like a 30% differential.

Not really. He was talking about his experience in 150 or so games since the adventure hit, which if you've seen his stream is the reason for his recent frustration with the mode. The reason there was a 30% difference is because he is relatively good at the game and has a good winrate (above the average) against Mages when going first.

His gripe is when going second, and the above chart corroborates that. There's a 9% average difference across classes, which is a lot. It's also still the most picked class by a large margin. You don't need a 4 million game sample to come to that conclusion either.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
I think it's time for Kripp to take a break and chill a bit on the game.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
But Kripp was saying how crazy it was that mage had like a 30% differential.

Form his personal stats of the games he played.

Possible variance, but also possible that as you get better at arena, going first or second matters even more, because suboptimal play could make things diverge from the initial favorability.

inky

And just to clarify, the only ones who have exact data are Blizzard. I realize there's a margin of error and a bunch of factors that aren't apparent, but we've got to use what we do have because they aren't sharing that stuff.

I think that for anyone who plays Arena, it's obvious there are considerable improvements to be made, and Blizzard seem receptive to this kind of opinions.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Ive had two people mill themselves with coldlights

Dahbomb

Blizzard knows that there are fundamental issues with Arena which is why they have stated that they are planning very fundamental changes to the mode. They have never said that before, which means that their stats are showing that there are some gross problems with the mode that require addressing.

cHinzo

Damn this Brawl is pretty cool. Some new and interesting cards were made for this one. :> Nefarian also has some surprising stages. Got my second Earth Elemental from the pack. Looks like I'm set for concede Shaman! :D

Ladekabel

Lost the first brawl because my partner left when I had lethalin hand next turn. beat it the second time with a 22 Fjola with windfury. Both partners went all in before Nefarian makes that asshole move.

My last four brawl packs were pretty decent. Got Onyxia, two Snake Traps and today a Southsea Captain out of it.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
I could see there being a reason to mill yourself if you have all the power cards you need for a big burst of damage (or to put a minion above 30HP to survive the clear), and your partner is really low on cards. There could be a time to mill yourself 1-2 cards there.

It should be rare though, becuase at some point you should just play the cards your're holding even if they won't do anything.

Fishlake

I hope they have a mode one day where you can play against bosses and get rewards that include cards like Main Tank or Light or Shadow.

Of course these cards would not be available for use in standard.

Dahbomb

Just remembered that tomorrow is new Wing day.

We got the Hunter 2 drop, Onyx Bishop for resurrect Priest and Arcane Giant for the potential spell decks.

Oh and Barnes. Yeah... stuff is about to change. Maybe some nonsense combo with Moat Lurker.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Barnes into moat lurker could be really disgusting.

Moat Lurker is the type of card effect that we need more of in this game. That effect is really awesome, and has the potential to be good, maybe in even super broken. But due to costing 6 mana, I can't see it being a staple in control decks since many have better options (Shield Slam, Entomb). That said, some classes (Druid and Pally notably), don't have better options so maybe its worth it in some cases.

Barnes is similar in that he's really powerful in some cases but complete junk in others. Good for different kinds of decks I'd imagine.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
only going to work specifically with deathrattles and that's a turn 10 combo. so uhhh, good luck.

Could be a two turn thing. Moat lurker is mostly probably going to be used as a deathrattle trigger anyway. So if the opponent kills off the 1/1 with deathrattle that Barnes summoned you'll probably have another target soon enough.

And just to clarify, the only ones who have exact data are Blizzard. I realize there's a margin of error and a bunch of factors that aren't apparent, but we've got to use what we do have because they aren't sharing that stuff.

I think that for anyone who plays Arena, it's obvious there are considerable improvements to be made, and Blizzard seem receptive to this kind of opinions.

The chart I get, I am not disputing. But kripp is arguing that mage's disparity became worse after the first wing of karazhan and uses his meager 45 games to show it. That is just plain silly. For all we know the disparity became smaller. I doubt it, but certainly 45 games isn't going to be meaningful in any respect.

And I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see similar numbers in constructed. Maybe not as much as 8.9% aggregated. In elder scrolls legends, the mechanic you get for going second is an elixir similar to coin except you get to use it 3 separate turns and it still doesn't feel unbalanced.

Could be a two turn thing. Moat lurker is mostly probably going to be used as a deathrattle trigger anyway. So if the opponent kills off the 1/1 with deathrattle that Barnes summoned you'll probably have another target soon enough.

I wonder if Moat Lurker kills a 1/1 generated from Barnes, if it then comes back at full stats?

jgminto

Has anyone else had really bad performance on the iPad app since the last update? The boot up is much slower and it reboots after almost every game.

Moat lurker is a weird card. So it's hard to judge how good or bad it'll be.

I wonder how it works with unearthed raptor though. If you copy moat lurker's deathrattle, will it give unearthed raptor the same summon. I think it might. If you bring moat lurker back with n'zoth, I doubt it brings the same summon on death though.

Fishlake

I wonder how it works with unearthed raptor though. If you copy moat lurker's deathrattle, will it give unearthed raptor the same summon. I think it might. If you bring moat lurker back with n'zoth, I doubt it brings the same summon on death though.

Moat Lurker is a battle cry gain death rattle so Nzoth won't bring it back but you can do Brann shenanigans.

I think one of the Class challenges has Moat Lurker in it, so you might be able to do some testing, but I don't think it has N'Zoth.

My guess is, N'Zoth brings back Moat Lurker, but the Death Rattle does nothing, since it's linked to a BattleCry.

Raptor on the other hand should work as expected easily.

Edit: Should clarify, it's the Priest Class challenge that has Moat Lurker and I brought it back with a Resurrect. However, it still had a DeathRattle attached to it. When it died again, nothing happened.

Dahbomb

isn't moat lurker chillmaw a 6 mana 3 damage symmetric aoe?
Exactly, dat synergy.

Activate Chillmaw Deathrattle (after probably killing something), then re-summon Chillmaw to prevent some charge shenanigans.

For real though all of these are so situational it's so difficult to accurately gauge. It still has the freezing effect or get around taunt for lethal functionality so it's more versatile than it may seem at first. Without experimentation it's hard to say. Another one of those cards that I feel might be more usable in Wild than in Standard.

I wish the Priest challenge wasn't such a pain or I could test this out more.

I had it happen once where an Onyx Bishop summoned a Moat Lurker. Pretty sure it still had the DeathRattle on it. As well, when it died, it didn't summon anything else.

wish we had a coop mode always on as an option aside from casual and ranked. would be awesome

I would love a Raid mode like in the old WOW TCG or Archenemy in MTG (which was in DOTP 2012 as a multiplayer mode IIRC). The adventures are a nice diversion but....it's not the same.

psyfi

Banned
I just found out the hard way that there's a limit on how many cards you can hold. I was playing priest with double Northshire Cleric and healed four minions...

Ouch.

Fishlake

I just found out the hard way that there's a limit on how many cards you can hold. I was playing priest with double Northshire Cleric and healed four minions...

Ouch.

Could be worse, I thought I was going to win when my opponent hit fatigue 1. I skipped my turn but I think I still won.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member

Ouch.

This is why you never go full Northshire. Double especially if it's a priest mirror. Just don't do it.

Apathy

funny watching people that can't play priest having to play priest in coop. I;'m down to 7 health on turn 6 and have not gotten a heal from my partner

Slashlen

I had Al'Akir and a Rockbiter in my hand, it gets swapped, and the other guy uses Rockbiter on his minion, then plays Al'Akir and goes face with everything.

Not the biggest mistake, but how do you think that play's a good idea?

sibarraz

Banned
Tried Savjz evolve shaman, it loses hard against almost everything

And priest feels "ok" now, at least I'm capable of beating the top decks with it, I'm excited for onyx bishop

greepoman

Welp that didn't take long...been enjoying a mostly warrior free climb then at rank 4 I get 9 out of 10 matches against perfect drawing dragon warriors and de-rank Feelsbadman.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom