• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT7/7| _ Give Tyrande | _ Blizzard: Give Amazon Money

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Patches looks like he has a lot of potential in Wild. He has a lot of synergy with Ship's Cannon and One Eye Cheat, and could help gain a ton of early tempo.

Patches has cool gang up synergy but really... gang up in a pirate deck seems to be about the unlikeliest thing to work possible. If you don't have gang up by the time you play your very first pirate, you will lose that synergy.

It's a neat idea, but... yeah... I don't think it'll be competitive. At least not in a general pirate deck. On the other hand, I think patches is just good in pirate decks in general. Cause why not? Pirate decks are never going to deck out. You get a free 1/1 charge.... for free. You pay nothing except the rare times you start with him in opening hand.

Justice...
.eJwNyEEOhCAMAMC_8ACKWBD8DUGCGrGE1pPZv69znFc941Kr2kU6rwDbwZnGpllopFp0JapXSf1gnalBEkl5b-UWhmkx3gY3zUuI0diAESzi7Fww-AUa750Hzk9Ltz57Vb8_5MgiYA.jxRIJ63lvurR2KOljTgSxznSiZk

Seriously though, who thought thing from below was an okay card to print... ugh.

bjaelke

Pirate Warrior potentially absurdly broken with Patches

its like what? 5-8 free damage?

you thought face deck is dead? lol

You can only use it one time. It summons Patches from your deck - not a copy of him. And Warrior currently have no way to shuffle extra copies back in the deck.

Back in the day captain's parrot was too good to be a 1/2 and was nerfed pre-release to 1/1. Never even saw that card played from hand maybe more than 1 time.

Now we have a 1 mana 1/1 charge who looks so innocent. I mean, it's a 1/1 charge. Or is it? Spoiler: it's not a 1/1 charge. It's an a 1/1 charge that reduces your deck size by 1, doesn't cost a card from hand, and has pirate synergy.

Hell, you might even run this in non-pirate decks that just happen to run pirate cards! Rogue for example. Swashburglar on turn 1, cycle out patches for zero cost. Even works as a free ping worth of damage. It's basically a cantrip that costs nothing but playing a pirate.

I wonder how far this seemingly innocent 1/1 will make it in the meta.

Finally back from the show floor.

Watched my boy Pavel beast his way through an 0-3 start to 4-3 win. Saw hamster earlier as well. Sad he lost dude had good decks.

Looks like priest is getting a great 3 drop and a 6mana board clear (5dmg everything but not dragons), which is good but damn it why did they limit it like that? So frustrating. Card is clearly great though.

The new board is fun so far, not Stormwind city fun, but a few good things to click on.

They had a Paladin aggro-ish deck, a Priest Dragon/Control deck, and a Druid deck that I did not play (yet). Gonna go back tomorrow.

Cool! How was the crowd at the HTC playoffs by the way? Saw a bunch of empty seats on stream, but maybe it's because it's just the quarterfinals? What deck did you like better? The Paladin or the Priest?

Pooya

for priest, it is better or as good. Opponent doesn't put bad cards in their deck, and most of their cards are better than priest cards.

For example, you just go and look for that anyfin can happen or Tirion or Golden Monkey or whatever, key cards that instantly win you that match. You can gain information on what secrets this hunter guy is playing, in general you get hand information, what cards they don't have in their hand yet, oh this freeze mage doesn't have his second iceblock or Alex, or there is no brawl or second hex in hand? I play very differently now. see. You can combo with Brann and get even more information.

It's busted if you ask me.

Dragon priest seems pretty OP, I think it's the first priest deck that will run over druids, dragons are really good against druid, high hp high tempo cards, it's so hard to clear, you just zoo them down.

I'm not even sure rogue is going to be that great without board clear. They can kill your board while keeping theirs with dragon bomb. That card destroys conceal decks, you probably have to play malygos but can you survive the curve? These two are the worst match ups for priest traditionally and so far it's not looking that good. I don't really expect they give rogue many good new cards if that tiger is any indication and coin isn't going to help these basic problems rogue have.

bjaelke

Depends. Priest is usually a reactive class so you could be looking for something to play rather than putting another dead card in your hand (same reason regular Priest play Thoughtsteal), but the current Dragon Priest arch type is more proactive and therefore more likely to be able to play out whatever is drawn for its own deck.

Pooya

no, but if you play their bombs before theirs, you win. if you get anyfin, paladin loses for example. Maybe this is the real reason they changed the murlocs.

no, but if you play their bombs before theirs, you win. if you get anyfin, paladin loses for example.

Depending on the point it's played you're looking probably roughly at a 3 in 8 to 3 in 15 chance of hitting it. Generally speaking your deck should be equal in powerlevel and more synergistic than a card from your opponent's deck, hence drawing should be better as it also increases consistency of your deck. But it's priest and fuck priest.

At 17 life vs Zoolock at 6, his board a 2/3 Peddler and a blood imp, 2x Power Overwhelming 2x Abusive Sergeant and a Doomguard for 19 lol not even mad.

Xanathus

I think people are forgetting how busted some class cards are when Priest is able to Thoughtsteal them, Aldor Peacekeeper + Cabal Shadowpriest to steal Tirions has happened in tourneys.

fertygo

I also said the discover steal card is busted

1. With discover you can chose the best option, so its gonna be like hand picked draw
2. give you big info while your opponent is clueless, its really big gap, the info like miladesn said can made you play differently

Even if this card is 3/3 I think the card is very good let alone 5/6, card is busted

jgminto

The Priest Dragon is nuts, it's basically always going to get something useful. With other Priest steal effects there's a chance that you'll get duds like Deadly Poison or Shield Slam but you're always going to get at least one useable card out of the three options.

Farewell

Good to see that priest players get really decent cards for the next expansion!

I only play paladin and don't really like the direction they go so far with "aggro" and low life minions, but then again we still have plenty of cards which are not revealed yet, so i hope there are still some surprises.

FeD.nL

The Priest Dragon is nuts, it's basically always going to get something useful. With other Priest steal effects there's a chance that you'll get duds like Deadly Poison or Shield Slam but you're always going to get at least one useable card out of the three options.

It's by far THE most powerful Discover effect. Nothing comes close, it gets you information, you always get something useful and the minion its attached to has premium stats. Just a crazy card all in all.

Pooya

paladin got a SIX mana 4/4 heal discover card that gives away information and even that saw quite a bit of play. Now look at this, lol.

Farewell

It's by far THE most powerful Discover effect. Nothing comes close, it gets you information, you always get something useful and the minion its attached to has premium stats. Just a crazy card all in all.

Damn when i think about it they can discover so many useful cards from paladin like tirion, forbidden healing or anyfin, scary.

I hope that won't be the only discover from your opponents deck card, it's a really neat idea.
I like the most of the cards revealed so far, most of them seem to be doing something interesting or at least trying to. Excited druid seems to be getting some nice stuff as I'm close to the golden portrait there.

sibarraz

Banned
My favorite thing of that dragon priest is that it doesn't feel like a tempo lose when played.

Also, I liked that 3 mana 3/7 epic, don't know if is better than injured blademaster since it will always lose health, but I still like the card, don't know why

Szadek

Kun the Forgotten King : Awesome in Ramp and might even be good enough in other druid decks as well.
Lunar Visions : Probably too slow/expensive. You need to play a minion heavy deck in order to get the most out of this card and I don't think a deck like this would work very well.
Pilfered Power : Probably too situational. Maybe it works in somekind of aggro deck,but that's about it.
Lotus Agents : A 5/3 "draw a card" for 5 mana will probaly find a home somewhere.
Kazakus : Definetly the coolest card from the set so far. Seems like a perfect fit for Renolock, but I'm not sure if he will still be good in the next rotation.

Wickerflame Burnbristle : The card seems pretty good at first glance, but might just be a little bit too weak.
Small-Time Recruits : Looks like the second coming of Divine Favor. If Paladins get enough strong 1 drops, this card could be insane.
Meanstreet Marshal : With enough buffs ,this card could be crazy. This card + the one above could create a new type of aggro Paladin.

Dragonfire Potion : Unless the meta is filed with dragons,this card is pretty damn good.Dragons will most likely playit and it will probably replace Evil in control.
Drakonid Operative : Very powerful card. There is no way dragon priest will not play this one.
Kabal Talonpriest : Another very strong priest card. Should work well in dragons and other board controll decks.

Lotus Assassin : Dealing with this card is going to be very annyoing, that's for sure. Having said that, I'm not sure which deck wants to play this card.
Counterfeit Coin : The card is probably too week,unless rogue decks more combo support.

Finja, the Flying Star : Seems pretty strong, but might be just a little bit too slow. It also depends if we get more ,good murloc cards.
Patches the Pirate : Should work fine in Pirat Warrior decks. Even drawing him is too bad since you can use him for pirat synergy or to enable execute.

Xis

So I've played Hearthstone very sporadically here and there, and I haven't touched it in maybe half a year. I want to get back into it and start investing more time in, but as a F2P player it continues to feel kind of daunting trying to make any progress. Any advice?

Unlock Tavern Brawl as soon as you can (requirement is level one class to 20), it gives a free pack each week.

counterfeit coin is once again the equivalent to a super busted card in mtg. It's half an innervate in a class that cares much more about spells and storming off. I'll probably cut the swashburglars for it.

sibarraz

Banned
Dragonfire Potion is a very well designed card, since it works on 2 different archetypes of priest (Control and Dragon) while being a good replacement for lightbomb

Lumine

I've never liked Dragon Priest. Always felt weaker and just boring to play in general. Not liking this push towards that. Some interesting cards shown I guess. Other than I feel pretty underwhelmed so far.

sibarraz

Banned
You don't have to go full dragon.

Besides Ysera which other dragon is used in control priest? At least you will need another 3-4 cards to justify his inclusion.

I've never liked Dragon Priest. Always felt weaker and just boring to play in general. Not liking this push towards that. Some interesting cards shown I guess. Other than I feel pretty underwhelmed so far.

My main gripe with dragon priest is that I never feel like I was having a "power turn" that could change the tides of the game or a big finisher moment. It was just playing in curve and hoping than your opponent didn't remove your whole board. But still, I love the dragon cards of BRM, my only problem is that this archetype should die by next year since the cards that made priest a dragon class (twilight whelp and the 2 mana 2/4 taunt) will be gone

zoukka

Besides Ysera which other dragon is used in control priest? At least you will need another 3-4 cards to justify his inclusion.

Just add dragons that don't need other dragons to work like crushers. And it's not a catastrophe to drop a 5-mana 5/6 on curve though not optimal either.

sibarraz

Banned
Just add dragons that don't need other dragons to work like crushers. And it's not a catastrophe to drop a 5-mana 5/6 on curve though not optimal either.

Yes, but for something like control priest you need to have all your cards doing something besides tempo, crusher doesn' have that greay synergy with the archetype, in this case the 5/6 is an amazing card to complement dragon priest, but isn't good enough to build a deck around it

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Gonna make a big post about my thoughts on the cards so far after work today. This expansion seems pretty interesting so far.

sibarraz

Banned
I wonder if the multi class cards idea is used on future expansions, will they use the same clans or will create other gangs with different classes (I wan to see this for lore reasons, but otherwise, will be to confusing)

bjaelke

I wonder if the multi class cards idea is used on future expansions, will they use the same clans or will create other gangs with different classes (I wan to see this for lore reasons, but otherwise, will be to confusing)

Probably be exclusive to this set like C'Thun is to Old Gods. That way they can say "experiments" and disregard lore altogether. Maybe we'll learn more during the Q&A later today.

Arcane giant rotates and it's a very different card than molten giant, the same way mountain giant is a very different card than molten giant. The purpose of rotating cards is to change the meta, the same reason they nerfed classic cards so they don't stay around forever. Dunno how many times this has to be pointed out, but there it is.
"The game will only have to deal with this bullshit card in Standard for 2 years, so it's okay."

Do I even need to say why that perspective is nonsensical? So what if a card stays in the meta forever? Why shouldn't an archetype remain present among new ones? Is the game somehow better now that Warlock only has one deck type instead of two?

Dahbomb

is discovering a card from your opponents deck better than drawing a card from your own deck?
We have never had a Discover from deck effect before, either from own deck or from opponent's deck.

I think Discovering from your own deck is the single most power draw/discover effect in the game. It's like Tracking only you don't lose the cards (in some ways that's beneficial, in others it's not). Discovering from your opponent's deck is the next best thing.

I think that's actually better than drawing a card from your deck. You get information on your opponent's deck AND hand (3 cards you know they don't have in their own hand) plus just about every card they have in their deck is going to be good. You have far less chance of hitting on duds, you just don't pick them.

So yeah this is the most powerful Discover card we have had in the game and it's attached to a condition but the minion itself has no stat loss. The card on paper is far above the power curve, there's no denying it. Whether it is enough to make Dragon Priest a thing is a different story though I think cards like that and Dragon Bomb might be enough. All Priest needs now is not Velens Chosen.

And for the last god damn time, stop bringing up Mountain Gaint, it's not that good and you can never play it for 0 mana. The whole point of the Arcane Giant vs Molten Giant comparison (or even Thing from Below) is that playing 0 mana big bodies is kinda busted yet one of them you can actually play around.

Pre nerf Molten Giants wouldn't even make a difference in the current meta, Reno/Handlock would still be a tier 3-4 deck. And honestly slow Handlock will never be the best deck in the game, it has so many natural counters.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
We have never had a Discover from deck effect before, either from own deck or from opponent's deck.

I think Discovering from your own deck is the single most power draw/discover effect in the game. It's like Tracking only you don't lose the cards (in some ways that's beneficial, in others it's not). Discovering from your opponent's deck is the next best thing.

I think that's actually better than drawing a card from your deck. You get information on your opponent's deck AND hand (3 cards you know they don't have in their own hand) plus just about every card they have in their deck is going to be good. You have far less chance of hitting on duds, you just don't pick them.

So yeah this is the most powerful Discover card we have had in the game and it's attached to a condition but the minion itself has no stat loss. The card on paper is far above the power curve, there's no denying it. Whether it is enough to make Dragon Priest a thing is a different story though I think cards like that and Dragon Bomb might be enough. All Priest needs now is not Velens Chosen.

And for the last god damn time, stop bringing up Mountain Gaint, it's not that good and you can never play it for 0 mana. The whole point of the Arcane Giant vs Molten Giant comparison (or even Thing from Below) is that playing 0 mana big bodies is kinda busted yet one of them you can actually play around.

Pre nerf Molten Giants wouldn't even make a difference in the current meta, Reno/Handlock would still be a tier 3-4 deck. And honestly slow Handlock will never be the best deck in the game, it has so many natural counters.

Molten giants should be back for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom