• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT7/7| _ Give Tyrande | _ Blizzard: Give Amazon Money

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoukka

Shit, this whole time I thought Wickerflame healed for the damage done to it not by it. In that case, yeah he kind of blows.

Errrrr he would not get damaged much because of his divine shield.

As a player who is new to the game, is it worth buying the $5 starter pack (or any other pack, for that matter)? I've only been playing casually online, and that's all I intend to keep doing.

For a new player that bundle seems very good in value.

Pooya

Shit, this whole time I thought Wickerflame healed for the damage done to it not by it. In that case, yeah he kind of blows.

I'm not sure what you mean, it says "dealt by it", so whenever something attacks into it, it deals damage to them and it heals you. If it was "whenever this minion attacks.." then yeah that would suck, like the rogue one...

The cad is indeed good, I'd question its usefulness right now. Maybe in future it's good but I'm seriously not sure old school aggro is going to survive this time around lol.

It's an interesting card, I give you that, I think it can set the board state ready for consec too right after. you convinced me about the paladin legendary. It's good.

zoukka

I dunno what that card would need for some people to believe it's great :D

This reminds me of people saying Mysterious Challenger was bad.

jgminto

It's a slightly sticky understatted minion with a non-immediate effect, I think it could see play but it's not even in the same ballpark as MC.

Portugeezer

Priest is not going to be fun to play against... sure, we haven't seen every card for other classes yet... but I am pretty sure that will be the case.

jgminto

Explain to me why you think it's an insane card compared to Silent Knight, a card that saw zero play? Obviously Taunt is a lot better than Stealth against Aggro and it has text besides that but do you really think that's enough to push a statline from completely unplayable to utterly amazing? I'm expecting it to be a meta dependant card. With heavy aggro, it will be a strong pick but if you're going up against stuff like Priest, Warrior and Mage you'll only be weakening your deck.

zoukka

Explain to me why you think it's an insane card compared to Silent Knight, a card that saw zero play? Obviously Taunt is a lot better than Stealth against Aggro and it has text besides that but do you really think that's enough to push a statline from completely unplayable to utterly amazing?

I don't even need to say anything, you countered yourself in your own post.

Here is an example of a 5mana Kazakus potion.

rQc5BQg.jpg

Seems prettay good.

I'm so glad they're saying they want to push highlander decks, end of the LOE Reno meta was some of the most fun ladder has ever been in this game. I feel like 30 unique cards dilutes the amount of netdecking too, it's a lot easier to make tech choices when your deck doesn't rely on some boring curve intro.

Pooya

it's going to be impossible to play around those spells. I'm not exactly excited about that.

Maybe people play Medivh now in their Reno decks.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
it's going to be impossible to play around those spells. I'm not exactly excited about that.

Maybe people play Medivh now in their Reno decks.

Nothing really changed there. Medivh is still so brutally slow.

Kazakus is going to be terrifying when you're playing a nzoth deck.

Dahbomb

Yeah between mid-shamy and dragon priest

Zoolock is dead for sure

I think Face hunter still good enough tho
Man how long have you been playing Hearthstone?

Zoo will always be good. Midrange Shaman at top of meta right now and Zoo still dominated the tournaments and is doing well on Ladder.

Two things have always been constant in Hearthstone: Zoo being good and Hunters being scumbag.

Here's the Firebat Zoo video for a better explanation.

https://youtu.be/6Ju3I42jItw

And the Paladin Legendary is a good card. It has the Mistress of Pain text along with having Divine Shield and Taunt. Great against aggro though feels more techy than auto include in control Paladin.

Also people talking about the death of aggro... every. single. expansion.

Dahbomb

Dreadsteed decks have a very specific counter.

That 9 mana spawn Leper Gnome card. Someone plays Dreadsteed, you play that card and you OTK them with charging Leper Gnomes.

And of course Priest still works with Mass Dispells, Shadow Madness and Cabals.

as long as you play owls and spellbreakers its really not that bad. its also a very easy brawl to run any sort of mill deck because people play very greedy decks esp the warlocks who often have like 8 cards by turn 4 and having access to 3 oracles, 3 branns, plus the ability to use prince to have a way bigger deck than your opponent opens up some fun ass archetypes

earth shock wrecks that shit too

PsionBolt

Dreadsteed decks have a very specific counter.

That 9 mana spawn Leper Gnome card. Someone plays Dreadsteed, you play that card and you OTK them with charging Leper Gnomes.

And of course Priest still works with Mass Dispells, Shadow Madness and Cabals.

The OTK answer to Dreadsteed is still Dreadsteed, once you toss in a Darkshire Councilman. Only takes 7 mana that way. It's one more card than the Leper Gnome guy, but drawing Dreadsteed and Councilman shouldn't be a problem when you have three of each in the deck and can tap.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
The OTK answer to Dreadsteed is still Dreadsteed, once you toss in a Darkshire Councilman. Only takes 7 mana that way. It's one more card than the Leper Gnome guy, but drawing Dreadsteed and Councilman shouldn't be a problem when you have three of each in the deck and can tap.

How does that help when there is a dreadsteed on the taunt side?

PsionBolt

How does that help when there is a dreadsteed on the taunt side?

...You know, somehow, I didn't think of that. I've never had it happen; I've only seen them on the charge side used to clear everything. I guess I dropped out of the brawl before I witnessed how dumb it really could be.

Levi

Banned
Zoo will never die. Hero power too stronk. I'm playing zoo this season because I'm bored of the meta so I decided to finally finish my warlock golden hero portrait. I'm 72 wins away now. Playing this list:

LJkPcap.png

Got me from rank 20 to rank 11 with a 64% win rate. It's good enough to beat Shaman, which means it's good enough to ladder with.

Here are the full stats:

gLdXAkq.jpg

And just for fun here's a picture of a Rogue who highrolled me and still lost:

hollomat

Banned

Or undertaker and dreadsteed. Only 5 mana that way.

The deck I've been playing has both of them, sense demons, spellbreaker, the silence owl, the 3 mana 4/3 that silences demons. It's been doing good

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I am very interested to see if the other two triclass legendaries have deck building requirements different from reno style restrictions. I hope they do.

One thing I realized is that the jade discover minion naturally gives fuel for ethereal peddler, making rogue a pretty strong choice. Also, getting ethereal peddler from the jade discover minion could be like pulling an emperor thaurisan that ticks twice for class cards, if you're playing shaman or druid.

I am very interested to see if the other two triclass legendaries have deck building requirements different from reno style restrictions. I hope they do.

They likely will either have deck building requirements or another twist that precludes them from being just being great in otherwise regular decks.

sibarraz

Banned
In shadowverse there is a discussion and ranked resets.

The game currently doesn't have them, and even though I think that this is a better filter than hearthstone has, people still has troubles with them since if you reach AA (rank 5 in HS) you will e stuck there forever, and if you somehow stop playing for a while, this will make you stay way behind. Also the score system incentivizes to play on lower ranks getting lots of easy wins in order to get most of the rewards.

I think that hearthstone should imitate some things of shadowverse ranked system (like prizes and the fact that you will probably being playing people of your same level for the most part, while also being capable of reaching legend without grinding like an idiot)) but also it should include some kind of ranked reset, I think that the best solution for both games is do resets each time a new expansion is released, this way the beggining will hav relatively a more balanced field, returning players could get a rest start, and reaching legend will not be a super drag. you can also give a better prize for reaching legend in his way

Pooya

They're printing all these discover cards in this set yet that rogue burgle still isn't a discover, not even on a legendary. They even have discover on thoughtsteal now but not that....

Discovering from your opponent's class is actually going to be so fun and good. Look for flare against hunter, ele destruction against shaman, steal the steal against priest, lots of things against paladin, ramp or quality minions against druid, rogue cards against rogue duh, damage against warrior, board clear against warlock. That could actually be a legit powerful deck.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
They're printing all these discover cards in this set yet that rogue burgle still isn't a discover, not even on a legendary. They even have discover on thoughtsteal now but not that....

Discovering from your opponent's class is actually going to be so fun and good. Look for flare against hunter, ele destruction against shaman, steal the steal against priest, lots of things against paladin, ramp or quality minions against druid, rogue cards against rogue duh, damage against warrior, board clear against warlock. That could actually be a legit powerful deck.

Drakonid Operative isn't discover based on class. It is discover based on deck.\

Never mind, you are talking about the triclass cards huh.

Dahbomb

In shadowverse there is a discussion and ranked resets.

The game currently doesn't have them, and even though I think that this is a better filter than hearthstone has, people still has troubles with them since if you reach AA (rank 5 in HS) you will e stuck there forever, and if you somehow stop playing for a while, this will make you stay way behind. Also the score system incentivizes to play on lower ranks getting lots of easy wins in order to get most of the rewards.

I think that hearthstone should imitate some things of shadowverse ranked system (like prizes and the fact that you will probably being playing people of your same level for the most part, while also being capable of reaching legend without grinding like an idiot)) but also it should include some kind of ranked reset, I think that the best solution for both games is do resets each time a new expansion is released, this way the beggining will hav relatively a more balanced field, returning players could get a rest start, and reaching legend will not be a super drag. you can also give a better prize for reaching legend in his way
I have been playing Shadowverse a lot lately and it does have its pros and cons.

For those that don't know, here's how the ranking system is in that game:

*You have ranks D, C, B, A, AA, Master. Master is like Legend. You CANNOT DE RANK to the lower letter grade so you can't ever derank from A to B rank. Can't derank from Master either.

*Each rank is further divided into 4 tiers, 0, 1, 2, 3. So you can be rank C0, D1, D2, B3 etc. You CAN DERANK in number tier, so you can derank from D1 to D0 or B2 to B1. You cannot derank from C0 to D3 for example as I mentioned earlier.

*You always get around 100 points for winning a game and then 50 points for win streak (win streak starts at 2 but win streak is kinda irrelevant in Shadowverse). Each additional rank takes longer to rank up. At C rank you need like 10 wins to climb up a tier (like from C1 to C2) but at A rank it's like 20 wins I believe.

*You lose anywhere from 20 to 70 points when you lose depending on your rank. At lower ranks you lose less and higher ranks you lose more. Around rank C and B you can keep ranking up even with sub 50-40% winrate.

*There's no reset system for ranks D through AA but ladder does reset for Master rank.

Here are the pros of this:

*You don't have to worry about restarting every month from lower ranks and then grind all the way back up to rank 5 while facing Legend tier players who were also deranked.

*Once you get Master you stay in Master. Same for other letter grades.

*You don't lose that much when you lose (at least up to rank A, I am not sure how much you lose in rank AA). In HS you can be on a win streak on the edge of an upgrade but if you lose it's like a 3-4 star swing. There's usually only a 1 and a half win worth of swing in Shadowverse, so there's way less salt over losing in general.

The cons:

*It takes way, way, way too long to rank up per tier. I have gone on 15-16 win streaks at rank C and still am at rank C3.

*There isn't enough incentive to win streak.

*It really favors grind versus actual skill. Which could be levied against Hearthstone too but from a pure numbers perspective you have to play WAY more games in Shadowverse but it's balanced by no reset.

I feel like some balance of the two would be good. I like that I don't have to worry about deranking in Shadowverse past a certain point but I also don't like how long it takes to rank up in general (even though I am demolishing my opponents).

I like Hearthstone's system, it just needs to send you back less and lock you in every 5 ranks like Duelyst does. Duelyst basically has the perfect system. I play serious up to rank 10, then I fool around because I can't derank. Then I play serious to rank 5, fool around for a bit, and then play serious to S-Rank every month. Duelyst sends S-Rank players to rank 11.

I'm sure this is asked all the time but what kinds of decks are most powerful in the meta these days?

I have 7600 dust right now lol

aggro priest
Healadin paladin
Control rogue

Oh, you didn't ask for the weakest decks

Well, midrange shaman, maly druid... well here is a tier list https://tempostorm.com/hearthstone/meta-snapshot/standard/2016-10-27

If you want to play the strongest, go for midrange shaman or maly druid though. Keep in mind that a new expansion hits in about a month though so things can change pretty quickly.

aggro priest
Healadin paladin
Control rogue

Oh, you didn't ask for the weakest decks

Well, midrange shaman, maly druid... well here is a tier list https://tempostorm.com/hearthstone/meta-snapshot/standard/2016-10-27

If you want to play the strongest, go for midrange shaman or maly druid though. Keep in mind that a new expansion hits in about a month though so things can change pretty quickly.

Hmm, maybe I'll save the dust for the expansion and see how much of a midrange shaman deck I can put together with what I have......

Is tempo mage still up there?

Dahbomb

Hmm, maybe I'll save the dust for the expansion and see how much of a midrange shaman deck I can put together with what I have......

Is tempo mage still up there?
http://www.vicioussyndicate.com/vs-data-reaper-report-25/

Top Decks:

Midrange Shaman (the best)
Zoolock
Face Hunter
Dragon Warrior
Secret Midrange Hunter
Pirate Warrior
Malygos Spell Druid
Tempo Mage

So yeah Tempo Mage is a good deck too. Anything that is fast is good.

inky

All I wanted for 2 years+ was for Spell Druid to be more viable and now that it's a thing with powerful enablers I don't even feel like playing it. I guess if I didn't have the golden portrait already I'd feel more compelled to play it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom