• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT7/7| _ Give Tyrande | _ Blizzard: Give Amazon Money

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dahbomb

All I wanted for 2 years+ was for Spell Druid to be more viable and now that it's a thing with powerful enablers I don't even feel like playing it. I guess if I didn't have the golden portrait already I'd feel more compelled to play it.
That's what we call the Low Tier God mentality.

"Man I can't wait for Priest to be top tier, I always loved playing it when it was bad"

"Priest is top tier now, not gonna play it anymore."

sibarraz

Banned
That's what we call the Low Tier God mentality.

"Man I can't wait for Priest to be top tier, I always loved playing it when it was bad"

"Priest is top tier now, not gonna play it anymore."

This happened to me with Nakoruru on KOF 14.

Well, at least that's not the case anymore

I'm gonna guess no, but I wonder if tri-class cards count as class cards for the purpose of ethereal peddler. Remember, they made a text change on the card recently intended to clarify for the upcoming expansion. "If you’re holding any non-Rogue class cards, reduce their Cost by (2)."

sibarraz

Banned
Remember when Beast Druid was already the S+ top tier deck before kharazan was released?

Priest cards are super good, but I don't really feel like those cards are super op to break a class

fertygo

Remember when Beast Druid was already the S+ top tier deck before kharazan was released?

Priest cards are super good, but I don't really feel like those cards are super op to break a class

there's a lot of doubt about beast druid

but these new priest card give same vibe when you see Thing from below and Master of Evolution revealed

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I don't think anything priest has gotten approaches thing from below so far.

Yeah, nothing comes close to the tempo that tfb gives you. Dragon potion is close, but requires you to have dragons on board to really give you tempo, which is hardly a guarantee in this game at any point.

It has been a while since Rank 15-20 felt like rank 15-20, especially this early in the season. But man, I played some folks that didn't seem to be legend players. Even golden classes. On like a 9 game winning streak right now.

sibarraz

Banned
Is really hard for priest to fill the board and make dragon potion a great tempo gain, his only uses are trigger a bigger threat for cabal shadow priest are combine it with shadow word horror.

The other removal is amazing for dragon priest, is a cheaper flamestrike, and can kill almost a anything than midrange shaman throws while also not implying a tempo loss for the deck (even though will be hard for dragon priest to have a great board)

jgminto

Priest is getting two board clear options that can clear everything with five health aside from dragons and everything with 5 or less attack with a two card combo. At the moment, priest has a huge problem dealing with a Midrange board that has gained control and both of these are massive tools against Midrange.

Raxus

Priest is getting two board clear options that can clear everything with five health aside from dragons and everything with 5 or less attack with a two card combo. At the moment, priest has a huge problem dealing with a Midrange board that has gained control and both of these are massive tools against Midrange.

Not to mention they are getting strong midrange tools of their own including a minion that can buff their 2/3 and 2/4 minions on the board by 3 health. Adding to that silence has been nerfed means tank priest is back.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Sorry for anybody who got notifications that I was streaming today. I was doing some testing because I working on some stuff for the next card review stream. I was working on getting chat put in for the benefit of anybody watching the stream through the YouTube archive. It also fills some of the unused space that is usually above my head in the stream.

Z0wpYcx.jpg

they got board clear that clear thing from below and possibly busted 5-drop

but yeah nothing close Kappa

Thing From Below is simply stronger than both those things, by a large margin. It's perhaps the only busted card in the game atm in terms of power level. So yeah, nothing close.

Dragonfire potion is amazing, til you realize it can only be fully utilized in a dragon priest deck and then it doesn't even scratch one of the most popular 5 drops, azure drake. It's probably a dead card vs any dragon deck, including dragon warrior. I also think it's weaker than light bomb. Yeah, it's still a good card despite all that, but we're talking about TFB strong.

Then the 5 drop dragon? That requires you to have a dragon in hand? It's a glorified thoughtsteal. It's slower than ethereal peddler, because with ethereal peddler you can actually play 2 mana cards you've reduced on that turn, or make busted plays the next turn. Despite that, it's still a good card that will see play in dragon priest. Mainly because azure drake is rather mediocre in dragon priest. It's not TFB busted strong, is what I am getting at again.

Thing from below was undervalued, and Master of Evolution was overhyped.

I still think Master of Evolution is a great card, just there's nothing that Shaman is playing right now that they really benefit from evolving. Tuskarr is dead. Azure Drake is better off unevolved to buff Spirit Claws and Maelstrom Portal. Fire Elemental sees less and less play these days. Just hard to find good targets to evolve right now. I still love the evolve theme for Shaman though so I hope Blizzard sticks with it going forward.

fertygo

Thing From Below is simply stronger than both those things, by a large margin. It's perhaps the only busted card in the game atm in terms of power level. So yeah, nothing close.

Dragonfire potion is amazing, til you realize it can only be fully utilized in a dragon priest deck and then it doesn't even scratch one of the most popular 5 drops, azure drake. It's probably a dead card vs any dragon deck, including dragon warrior. I also think it's weaker than light bomb. Yeah, it's still a good card despite all that, but we're talking about TFB strong.

Then the 5 drop dragon? That requires you to have a dragon in hand? It's a glorified thoughtsteal. It's slower than ethereal peddler, because with ethereal peddler you can actually play 2 mana cards you've reduced on that turn, or make busted plays the next turn. Despite that, it's still a good card that will see play in dragon priest. Mainly because azure drake is rather mediocre in dragon priest. It's not TFB busted strong, is what I am getting at again.

TFB may still stronger but funny thing is these both card may simply destroy any shaman matchup, both is insanbely strong card regardless, argue all you want but 1-2 card raise power level of class significantly then its strong card

Glorified thoughtsteal? are you serious, since when thoughtsteal is selected draw? selected draw that made you dictating the game? its also full jacked stat minion no, full stat minion get a card is never slow

If you stole lightning storm from shaman, that insane, even if you get not exciting outcome its still 5/6 get a card, you almost never win value battle against dragon priest with this card, its clearly insane. Its take serious denial to undervalue this card.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"

You're underselling Drakonid Operative. Shifting Shade is already a pretty decent card. Drakonid Operative is like making that a yeti, adding a battlecry, and then making it a discover. The comparison to Ethereal Peddler is very poor because those two cards don't even do the same thing. Ethereal Peddler doesn't give you card advantage, it's a tempo card. And it's a synergy card that requires you to play a very specific type of deck in a class that doesn't do the kind of thing Ethereal Peddler wants to do very well. Drakonid Operative is like giving steroids to Azure Drake, and Azure Drake is one of the best neutral cards in the game. I mean, sure, maybe it's not TFB-levels but it's still pretty OP.

TFB may still stronger but funny thing is these both card may simply destroy any shaman matchup, both is insanbely strong card regardless, argue all you want but 1-2 card raise power level of class significantly then its strong card

Glorified thoughtsteal? are you serious, since when thoughtsteal is selected draw? selected draw that made you dictating the game? its also full jacked stat minion no, full stat minion get a card is never slow

If you stole lightning storm from shaman, that insane, even if you get not exciting outcome its still 5/6 get a card, you almost never win value battle against dragon priest with this card, its clearly insane. Its take serious denial to undervalue this card.

Think of thought steal as getting 2 random cards from the potential 3 cards of discover. And think of discover as getting 1 of those 3 random cards. It's still random, you do have a bit more control over it, but you only get 1 card from that pool of 3 instead of 2 random ones from that pool.

The strong part is the body and it does generate a card, similar to azure drake. So I see it being played over azure drake cause I think the larger body is better than drawing from your own deck.

It's better than thoughtsteal when you consider both pieces of the card. But the text itself is just a glorified thoughtsteal imo. Thoughtsteal is a good card in it's own right, so I don't mean to say that is bad, it's just slow.

You're underselling Drakonid Operative. Shifting Shade is already a pretty decent card. Drakonid Operative is like making that a yeti, adding a battlecry, and then making it a discover. The comparison to Ethereal Peddler is very poor because those two cards don't even do the same thing. Ethereal Peddler doesn't give you card advantage, it's a tempo card. And it's a synergy card that requires you to play a very specific type of deck in a class that doesn't do the kind of thing Ethereal Peddler wants to do very well. Drakonid Operative is like giving steroids to Azure Drake, and Azure Drake is one of the best neutral cards in the game. I mean, sure, maybe it's not TFB-levels but it's still pretty OP.

I think the comparison suits well because dragon priest cares a lot about tempo/intiative control (w/e you wanna call it, it wants to be in control of trades and not responding to them). The turn you play drakonid operative it's just a 5/6. Unlike ethereal peddler which can generate a massive tempo swing turn that turn (even on curve) or later. My main point is that it's a high stat minion that is slow and it's power level isn't really comparable to TFB as that can hit the field at 0 mana by turn 5-6, as I've had happen to me many times in the past few days.

Drakonid operative will be a very strong card. Just not TFB strong, and thank god for that.

patchday

Back from Blizzcon.

Pros I met:
trump & amnesiac

both are really cool dudes that I was very glad to meet

Spent most of my time watching Hearthstone matches. played the brawl they had there with the new cards. but didnt play with them long enough to form my own impressions beyond I'll find them fun to play with in a deck. Priest cards actually seem very benefical (Kazakus , etc)

Pavel's comeback shocked us. After he beat Amnesiac we concluded he was strong with the force that day and he had best chance to win. And sure enough he won the thing.

Blizzcon - 10/10 :D

Dahbomb

Thoughts on my Wild Dragon Priest?

I don't have Ysera.
This is too all in on the early drops. You want to cut at least one Entomb too. You want Bran in there because there is a lot of synergy for it. I would always put Sylvanas in a Priest deck.

In addition, I think you should swap Blackwing Technicians with Dark Cultists. On average it ends up being better than Technician even in a dragon theme deck.

-1 Chow - +1 Bran
-1 Entomb - +1 Sylvanas
-2 Blackwing Tech - +2 Dark Cultists

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
This is too all in on the early drops. You want to cut at least one Entomb too. You want Bran in there because there is a lot of synergy for it. I would always put Sylvanas in a Priest deck.

In addition, I think you should swap Blackwing Technicians with Dark Cultists. On average it ends up being better than Technician even in a dragon theme deck.

-1 Chow - +1 Bran
-1 Entomb - +1 Sylvanas
-2 Blackwing Tech - +2 Dark Cultists

Cool thanks.

Falling behind on board is so easy in wild. I figured in order for this deck to have a shot against secret paladin and hunter I needed to guarantee early plays. I like having two entombs in such a nzoth heavy meta but you're probably right that that is too greedy/control heavy for this list.

What about sylvanas do you think fits so well in priest?

So many games decided by rag rng, I am saddened that the game has gone backwards in a way it shouldn't. Blizzard needed to nerf rag when the standard rotation hit and they failed to do so. It doesn't bother me that rag is a good card, but come on...

No high value cards should ever have any effect on the game. There, better?

Again, the point of going to standard format is so the meta changes. Many cards were nerfed from the classic set to help ensure that happens. I dunno why you said this after I pointed out I don't mind it being strong. It could remain strong but a more niche card, which it frankly should be but when it's good it's good in too much.

fertygo

I oppose nerf rag everytime, its would've better to just move it to wild, alongside sylv and Leeroy, these classic leg stay in meta forever.

Again, the point of going to standard format is so the meta changes. Many cards were nerfed from the classic set to help ensure that happens. I dunno why you said this after I pointed out I don't mind it being strong. It could remain strong but a more niche card, which it frankly should be but when it's good it's good in too much.

but he was niche for a couple months it's only when aggro became less prominent and midrange started to dominate that usage of rag resurged.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

Ragnaros was barely in the meta until post karazhan.

but he was niche for a couple months it's only when aggro became less prominent and midrange started to dominate that usage of rag resurged.

Ragnaros was barely in the meta until post karazhan.

I mean, come on guys. I know that. That's why I pointed out that when rag is strong, you see rag in so many decks and many games will come down to how the RNG plays out. We saw it at blizzcon and I can't speak for anyone else but rag just decides a lot of games on ladder as well.

For comparison sake, when malygos is strong it's still a niche card. And that's great cause there is a lot more diversity when niche cards are strong since not every deck can run it. Decks are more divergent from eachother. Another comparison is pilotted shredder. You just run that in any deck that fits it and it's good. Those kind of cards are bad-ish for the overall game. It doesn't help that ragnaros has RNG and is a finisher.

We had a rag meta before, I just hope this doesn't continue into the new expansion.

edit:
Just had a rag decide again since this post.

Dahbomb

Cool thanks.

Falling behind on board is so easy in wild. I figured in order for this deck to have a shot against secret paladin and hunter I needed to guarantee early plays. I like having two entombs in such a nzoth heavy meta but you're probably right that that is too greedy/control heavy for this list.

What about sylvanas do you think fits so well in priest?
They can Death own Sylvanas to steal a target. They can also keep healing Sylvanas to make it harder for them to kill it with small minions.

I mean, come on guys. I know that. That's why I pointed out that when rag is strong, you see rag in so many decks and many games will come down to how the RNG plays out. We saw it at blizzcon and I can't speak for anyone else but rag just decides a lot of games on ladder as well.

For comparison sake, when malygos is strong it's still a niche card. And that's great cause there is a lot more diversity when niche cards are strong since not every deck can run it. Decks are more divergent from eachother. Another comparison is pilotted shredder. You just run that in any deck that fits it and it's good. Those kind of cards are bad-ish for the overall game. It doesn't help that ragnaros has RNG and is a finisher.

We had a rag meta before, I just hope this doesn't continue into the new expansion.

edit:
Just had a rag decide again since this post.
Malygos is not niche. It makes an archetype for 2 classes. Rag decides a lot of games but he usually doesn't turn it upside down with his RNG like Yogg used to do. It's really just with Ragnaros mirrors that the RNG becomes obnoxious imo.

Malygos is not niche. It makes an archetype for 2 classes. Rag decides a lot of games but he usually doesn't turn it upside down with his RNG like Yogg used to do. It's really just with Ragnaros mirrors that the RNG becomes obnoxious imo.

Malygos is very niche, and requires your entire deck to be built around making it work. Probably one of the most niche cards in the game. Ragnaros just fits in about everything, from face hunter to freeze mage. Maybe not freeze mage, but probably. Malygos does work in more than druid and rogue though. I don't have a problem with that, but the entire deck needs to be shaped around that sort of strategy. We've seen it in priest, shaman, and warlock (maybe mage too). Ragnaros is just like... you need a finisher? Oh throw ragnaros in. Like beast druid, for example... just has a random ragnaros. Midrange shaman.... random ragnaros since their other combo finishers got nerfed.

I think ragnaros has been an issue since the beginning of the game, to varying degrees. Over time we've just come to accept his RNG because they've added worse and worse. And it's been criticized as an issue in competitive play since the hay days. It's been ignore relatively since then because of worse cards like shredder or dr. boom, but it's always remained potentially problematic to keep as it was.

But lets set RNG aside. I am of similar minds as Kibler, who would actually like to see the classic set entirely cut from standard play. I'd prefer to see some... not all... of classic cards cut. Here is the short list:
Ragnaros
Animal Companion
Knife juggler

The new cards seem a lot more"fair"

No real crazy RNG like Karazhan.

I feel like classic is just so good compared to what they can print. Wouldn't mind some cards Being reprinted again

fertygo

About Rag, I feel most of context when people complaining is silly

they even complain when rag won 50/50, that very silly to me especially when opp made best effort to made rag hit desired target

Even 1 of 3 its still free complain range for me, 33% is quite decent percentage, but some people just feel entitled opp shouldn't get any of their aim.

I was pretty damn pleased with how I played this game cause I mull'd for control/cthun warrior (at least kept si7 agent and got backstab) and got dragon warrior and managed to drop him on turn 8 even though he kept his entire opening hand from mulligan. https://hsreplay.net/replay/Ayu5mnJBjXXzWVS58cVvWS

About Rag, I feel most of context when people complaining is silly

they even complain when rag won 50/50, that very silly to me especially when opp made best effort to made rag hit desired target

Even 1 of 3 its still free complain range for me, 33% is quite decent percentage, but some people just feel entitled opp shouldn't get any of their aim.

How many 1/3s does it take to get on your nerves though?

Also, honestly I don't really get rattled by bad rng. It is disappointing to see such a heavy rag meta again though. And I use rag too so it's not just being salty about rag beating me. Some of those games tonight I am referring to are when I used rag to win, such as in my mid range dragon list.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
I will say that Rag has started to get a bit overplayed. He's in every damn deck these days, and I get why. We are back to a place where the high cost cards that see play need to have amazing effects and can't simply buy l be big bodies. Ragnaros essentially has 8 charge damage that you can't control. That is a big effect and will keep him relevant probably forever.

Thinking about other big cost cards with immediate impact, there aren't many. Dr. Boom gets a pass due to being a turn earlier and crazy overstatted with the ability to burst tons of damage with boombots. Antonidas's impact is because you can cast a couple spells in the same turn. Tirion & Sylvannas cause the opponent to play suboptimally to get around them. There aren't many others that I can think of that have a huge impact by themselves. So stiff like Rag sees play because it has an impact right away.

Dahbomb

A lot of reasons have resulted in return of Rag:

*BGH nerfed so it would always come back.
*Less Deathrattles and Nzoth decks (Rag isn't good in Wild).
*Token Druid is replaced by Maly Druid.
*Not a lot of charge minions or finishers left in the game especially for Midrange/Tempo decks.
*Zoo doesn't use board flood stuff like Forbidden Ritual anymore.
*Most top end Legendaries still suck.

It's really only bad against Shaman to be honest. But Midrange Shaman being good is exactly why Rag is good now because Midrange Shaman punishes the board flood strategies so those styles have been pushed out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom