• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT8| Elise's Extremely Irresponsible Field Trip To Un'Goro

Status
Not open for further replies.
MSG easily because of the amount of aggro decks being ran, at times. At least of those options given.

I think it's arguable that in beta there was a time when murloc warlocks reigned supreme and murlocs could kill you as fast as any pirate deck today.

I think it's hard to say. Any meta where face hunter dominated, pirate warrior, and/or aggro shaman (mech shaman for example, which it never really did dominate that much). Aggro paladin is typically slower than those 3 decks. I think since pirate warrior and aggro shaman are powerful in this meta, that could make this the fastest meta (at times since it shifts).

Dahbomb

Out of the 4 options provided, I personally think it's MSG followed by GvG closely. GvG had Mech Shaman, Mech Mage and Face Hunter with unnerfed cards like Juggler, Abusive Sergeant, Leper Gnomes, Arcane Golems, Rockbiter etc. but they still didn't consistently finish the game by turn 5 like these Pirate decks can.

Imagine if MSG was played with some of those aggro cards. It would be a total blowout.

Note that we are talking about GvG meta without Undertaker here. There was time where UT was in GvG simultaneously and that easily the most degenerate meta.

MSG probably isn't the actual fastest meta because the Reno decks are keeping those average game times higher overall. The meta isn't just pirates after all. It might in fact be GvG that is fastest because games tend to end by turn 7 one way or the other thanks to Dr Balanced.

LoE was pretty fast too with Aggro Shaman, Face Hunter, Zoolock and Secret Paladin. Druid could finish games by turn 9. Not the fastest but still very tempo driven. WotG is easily the slowest out of those 4 options but we still had Aggro Shaman.

I would like to see the stats though. It would be nice to have the definitive "fastest meta ever" in Hearthstone based on stats.

I just really hope this isn't one of those Blizzard "gotcha" moments where they try to prove the community wrong by showing that is a meta that was faster than MSG. WOW... a pre standard era where we had unnerfed cards was actually faster than a post rotation meta with card nerfs.... you really showed us there Blizzard. They have already done something like twice once in MSG and once in Karazhan to take the pressure off of Shamans from the community (guys Shaman is totally not as bad as Undertaker Hunter/Combo Druid).

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
"Fastest meta ever" lends itself to a lot of interpretation. MSG aggro decks are some of the fastest aggro decks ever, but Reno, Jade, and Dragon Priest decks are all on the slow end which means the meta is very polarized. Averaged out, it might not seem so fast even though super-fast aggro decks are essentially in full control of the meta.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Looking at VS LoE and MSoG duration stats, I'm suprised Jade Druid is actually a very little bit faster than old Midrange Druid. I guess it's quick losses combined with the fact that Jade Druid is actually an insanely fast deck, after the weak first 3 turns.

Dahbomb

VS has stats for MSG but it's not up to date with the current meta (only up to January).

But even then MSG is already faster than both WotG and OniK.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I just really hope this isn't one of those Blizzard "gotcha" moments where they try to prove the community wrong by showing that is a meta that was faster than MSG. WOW... a pre standard era where we had unnerfed cards was actually faster than a post rotation meta with card nerfs.... you really showed us there Blizzard. They have already done something like twice once in MSG and once in Karazhan to take the pressure off of Shamans from the community (guys Shaman is totally not as bad as Undertaker Hunter/Combo Druid).

Yeah, I'm worried about that too.

I can believe LoE being the statistically fastest meta because most people were playing any of the dozen choices for an 9 turn deck with a couple of turn 7 decks and turn 12 decks being popular but not meta defining, while here you're forced into a 12 turn deck if you want to survive the oppressiveness of the 7 turn decks.

This brawl is kind of easy with buff paladin. 2x might, 2x blessed champion, wolfrider = 36 damage for 3 mana.

Thanks for the idea. Paladin is a good choice for the Brawl with good card draw (Divine Favor, Holy Wrath, Lay on Hands, Solemn Vigil), Secrets (Avenge, Eye for an Eye), healing (Holy Light, Forbidden), token generation (Muster, Stand Against Darkness), and buffs (Blessing of Kings, Blessing of Might, Blessed Champion).

Mulgrok

If they didn't nerf warsong and charge, warrior would be able to cycle through their whole deck in 1 turn and OTK during this brawl.

Yeah, I'm worried about that too.

I can believe LoE being the statistically fastest meta because most people were playing any of the dozen choices for an 9 turn deck with a couple of turn 7 decks and turn 12 decks being popular but not meta defining, while here you're forced into a 12 turn deck if you want to survive the oppressiveness of the 7 turn decks.

people forget that control decks in gvg almost always dragged the games out to fatigue. Fatigue is rare in this meta.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
If there's one thing I'm thankful for in this meta it's that fatigue decks are nowhere to be seen.

Hahaha, Paladin can win Turn 1.

Stonetusk boar for 1 mana.

Lay on Hands x2 draws 6 cards for 0 health, Solemn Vigil x2 draws 4 cards for 10 health. 10 cards drawn for 10 health.

Blessing of Might x2 for 6 attack and 2 health. Blessing of Kings x2 for 8 attack and 8 health. +14 attack for 10 health.

Finish with Blessed Champion for 30 attack ([1+6+8]*2) and 5 health. Lethal damage on Turn 1 for 25 health.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
If they didn't nerf warsong and charge, warrior would be able to cycle through their whole deck in 1 turn and OTK during this brawl.

people forget that control decks in gvg almost always dragged the games out to fatigue. Fatigue is rare in this meta.

I'm more thinking about matchups like Handlock vs Midrange Paladin or Midrange Druid vs Oil Rogue. Those never went to fatigue, but were all very popular and not exactly as fast as the Trogg and Pirate decks, putting you into crisis on turn 2.

Yeah, Control Warrior and Control Priest went to fatigue all the time, but they weren't that popular.

wiibomb

this brawl is crazy....

turn 1 kills for me and for my opponent, the funniest one has been a paladin playing so many spells on turn 1 that it killed itself, it was amazing...

Shinypogs

There's something incredibly satisfying about turn one call of the wild and animal companion with a second huffer ( for it is always huffer). Paladin may be faster and more reliable but it's amusing that I can play my secret hunter deck list in this with no real issue.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
"Fastest meta ever" lends itself to a lot of interpretation. MSG aggro decks are some of the fastest aggro decks ever, but Reno, Jade, and Dragon Priest decks are all on the slow end which means the meta is very polarized. Averaged out, it might not seem so fast even though super-fast aggro decks are essentially in full control of the meta.

That's why Ben B is asking for what the players felt was the fastest meta.

It's an interesting brawl but not really.

I won with turn 2 argent horserider plus 4-5 paladin buffs over 2 turns. I didn't get blessed champion. I did get my lay on hands which let me draw 3 for no health cost. I still almost lost. Not really interested in this brawl even though it's not RNG dependent.

Dahbomb

I don't know anything about playing Pirate Warrior but that was an interesting mulligan by the Warrior player. He went all in on the upgrade play, could've been mega punished with an Ooze.

But I doubt any Pirate player actually plays around anything.

Just to remind that in that match STB was no where to be found and Patches ended up doing 2 free damage to the face (or more). If that damage didn't happen by Patches then you would've had an additional turn to work with while the Warrior was in top deck mode.

Sometimes pirate warriors hit it out of the park. I don't think many decks would win against such a stronger opener unless they drew acidic ooze, which as you know could be in your deck if you wanted.

Dahbomb

This is the exact kind of thing Firebat talked about yesterday I believe.

He said that these decks are around 53% because they all lack consistency. If they draw poorly then they lose but if they draw the nuts then they win... ~50% win rate achieved! Compare that to Zoo which has consistency in 1 drops (by having a ton of them so you always expect to get them) and draws to get to the needed cards quicker.

He had the same problem against the current Rogue decks which are high roller city. Reno decks are more skillful in general with more decision but when it comes to fighting these decks you are still high rolling for Reno. 50% you get Reno, 50% you don't... 50% win rate!!!

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
they really need to change the spells

either make spells respect taunt or make damage spells for minions (preferably the first)

I just stacked the entire board (3 with taunt), had 19 health... mage had 4 health and zero minions

he freezes all my minions and 2 spells to draw 6 cards... my board is stacked ok so i'll just end turn

last card he got was enough. 7 damage card, 7 damage card, freeze again and 5 damage if frozen. he kills me. didn't have to manage the board. just outright removes 19 health just like that.

i had jaraxxus, reno and tons of minions ready to go.

just pisses me off

they really need to change the spells

either make spells respect taunt or make damage spells for minions (preferably the first)

I just stacked the entire board (3 with taunt), had 19 health... mage had 4 health and zero minions

he freezes... my board is stacked ok so i'll just end turn

last card he got was enough. 7 damage card, 7 damage card, freeze again and 5 damage if frozen. he kills me. didn't have to manage the board. just outright removes 19 health just like that.

i had jaraxxus, reno and tons of minions ready to go.

just pisses me off

You are thinking about it completely wrong.

What turn was this? It wasn't turn 5. Why are you playing such a slow ass deck? Could you have won earlier by playing more proactive cards? Could you just run silence or rag? You would have had lots of turns of doing nothing.

The answer is no, or "because aggro". But that has nothing to do with spells.

freeze mage has always been dumb when the stars align. It's just an annoying deck and thanks to evolved kobold and emperor it can even kill you from 30 after you have dealt with alex. It's not very good right now thankfully.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
You are thinking about it completely wrong.

What turn was this? It wasn't turn 5. Why are you playing such a slow ass deck? Could you have won earlier by playing more proactive cards? Could you just run silence or rag? You would have had lots of turns of doing nothing.

The answer is no, or "because aggro". But that has nothing to do with spells.

I had burned my silence card turn before because he put a doomsayer, that's when i got him down to 4 hp. But there was nothing to silence, remember... I was stacked and frozen. I had no play except tap and I didn't feel it was necessary considering the cards in my hand.

We were trading minions the entire way up until then.

I threw down majority of my stuff on turn 7, and followed on turn 8 with additive protection after going face.

Locks me down for 9 and annihilates me on 10.

The fact is he just burst through that much health without board management.

If there was any mistake I made, it was my added protection with that one card that gives the 1/1 ooze with taunt. Should have played reno. But when you're at 19 health with the board slanted towards you with a silenced doomsayer on the opposite side, you wouldn't think of doing that because there should be no risk.

I still feel spells should 100% respect taunt. Even if they play with spell costs to make them more actively usable.

Played a bunch of Tavern Brawl, then ran into a player seemingly playing Wild Pirate Warrior as his Brawl deck. He only lasted a few turns, but it had to be that deck. Ships Cannon, Patches, N'Zoth First Mate, Southsea Deckhand all showed up, and he attacked face every time.

There needs to be a "Why?" emote.

Xanathus

Played a bunch of Tavern Brawl, then ran into a player seemingly playing Wild Pirate Warrior as his Brawl deck. He only lasted a few turns, but it had to be that deck. Ships Cannon, Patches, N'Zoth First Mate, Southsea Deckhand all showed up, and he attacked face every time.

There needs to be a "Why?" emote.

It's a completely valid strategy for this brawl because if you're spending health to use spells then you're making it easier to kill you with face damage.

It's an interesting brawl but not really.

I won with turn 2 argent horserider plus 4-5 paladin buffs over 2 turns. I didn't get blessed champion. I did get my lay on hands which let me draw 3 for no health cost. I still almost lost. Not really interested in this brawl even though it's not RNG dependent.

its great for rattling through play X amount of spells and easy wins haha

In the Brawl, Firelands gave me Summoning Stone, so I went yolo with Pyroblast and got Deathwing. Sadly I was facing Priest so he got Shadow Worded the next turn.

Bought a pack on a whim and got a Legendary, but it's the one where you draw until you have 3 cards (after it attacks). So basically Jeeves? What I wouldn't do for Aya or Patches.

peakish

Got a new challenge quest on EU if anyone's interested. Also finally ripped Solia in a pack, feels good since it's the last legendary I'm really interested in from MSOG.

Dahbomb

http://us.battle.net/hearthstone/en/blog/20475356

Wow! Lots of info.

Azure Drake, sylvanas and rag, PO, conceal and ice Lance out, auctioneer still in.

Full dust refunds even if you don't dust them!

No more adventures. Instead expansions will come with single player content.
AAAYYY LMAO!!!!

I told you guys!! RIP in peace Azure Drake.

I am kinda glad that PO is rotating too to be honest. I have made many posts about how this card is crazy over powered for its cost. This hurts both Zoo and Control decks particularly Control Warlocks running the Leeroy package.

Ice Lance is a strictly Freeze Mage nerf. Clever nerf because that card hardly gets used any where else.

They kept Auctioneer but removed Conceal. Always talked about how Conceal really limited their design space, looks like they finally caved in.

And holy crap @ 3 big expansions in the year! That's a lot of cards by the end of the year to play with.

New Rogue skin Maiev Shadowsong, just play 10 games in the new rotation.

Yeah I never see Ice Lance used anywhere so it will only affect one deck.

Not surprised by the rest. Auctioneer is fine since Rogue lost Conceal.

Disappointed at the loss of guaranteed cards, though. Another cash grab.

Dahbomb

Shaman gets away with murder yet again.

Midrange Jade Shaman left relatively unchanged aside from removal of Azure Drake. I guess that's a pretty big deal but that is still replaceable for them.

While on the other end Freeze Mage, Miracoli and Zoolock got heavy nerfs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom