• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT9| Our raid wiped in Icecrown Citadel

Bunga

So I finally managed to put the final pieces into a Jade Druid deck (albeit without Fandral) and had my first game with it. The game ended against a combo Priest with a 9/9, 10/10, 11/11, 12/12, 13/13 and 14/14 on board. Lol.

I've been matched up to a jade aggro druid multiple times already is that one new? Basically forwent the beast synergy from aggro druid and the lategame from jade druid for a hybrid. Still with living mana and hydra.

Wild Pyromancer is insane right now, great AoE when you use Earthen Scales on him.

Magnus

New exp already? Jesus Christ. So cards will be revealed?

It's on the same schedule every year so far. April, August, December. The only change this time is no more adventures!

Frozen Throne fuck yeah!

a9fCXcO.jpg

everyone looks undead lol.

Fuck this looks SO good. I love that HS can have fun with what-if scenarios like this. Time for evil versions of heroes to appear as cards at last! Undead Malfurion will be mine.

gutshot

Man they have accelerated the release of the expansions... not that I'm complaining.

Modifiers to classes or just cosmetic changes? :eek:

They've generally stuck to about 4 months in-between expansions/adventures. This looks to follow that rule as Un'Goro was released exactly 3 months ago (April 6) and the new expansion will probably release in about 3-4 weeks.

zoukka

They've generally stuck to about 4 months in-between expansions/adventures. This looks to follow that rule as Un'Goro was released exactly 3 months ago (April 6) and the new expansion will probably release in about 3-4 weeks.

Time flies!

zoukka

Is funny how people has quickly turned around the opinions of both shadowverse and duelyst, specially considering how "balanced" is hearthstone now.

At least Eternal and Gwent seems to still be games that have a good balance on gameplay

People jump to conclusions and let hype blind them. HS is probably still played 2020 while nobody will remember those games by then.

I would love to play as a Death Knight class (gotta be Arthas) but this seems to be something different with everyone being undead, I'll be curious to see what the deal is with this expansion!

Blizzard

Banned
I'm gonna go out on a limb and predict cards that have different effects depending on your hero's form, and part of the strategy will involve timing your mode change(s). Something like:

Code:
Tundra Hound

2 mana, 2/3 minion
Frostform:  Has charge

I saw one of those other games had an "Evolved" form of cards, so I guess this would be similar? Then again if that's a bad mechanic, hopefully Hearthstone will have a different version.

Is funny how people has quickly turned around the opinions of both shadowverse and duelyst, specially considering how "balanced" is hearthstone now.

At least Eternal and Gwent seems to still be games that have a good balance on gameplay
Gwent is still in beta. Eternal had terrible balance last I checked - Warcry is ridiculous.

I stopped playing Duelyst back in February, but I played it for almost a whole year. There's nothing "quick" about the process. I talked with the dev team at length about the game's issues. It also had nothing to do with Hearthstone. I never got into Shadowverse. I made an S tier deck on day 1, played it for a while, and moved on. I've played and tried every card game on Steam, so that's not saying much.

Undead Rexxar, Undead Gul'dan, and Undead Valeera are clearly the redesign winners here.

I'm a fan of Undead Gambit.

wiibomb

just woke up to the news... don't know anything at all about the litch king or the ice crown, but yes to all the heroes being undead, yes to this creepy atmosphere. I like this a lot as a theme.

now show me the goods.

Undead and demons are my thing, so I'm excited for this.

Valeera looks so thick I thought it was a new hero.

Yeah, at a quick glance I thought it was Sylvanas but then I remembered that Blizzard gave her pants.

I'm really curious as to what this all means though. Could just be alternative hero skins that everyone can use, a new game mode, or even a new hero. It could even be nothing!!

Maybe it'll be a serious look into the graveyard of Hearthstone. I know there a few cards that do that but they were never too substantial.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
The art is a bit high effort (and animated like you might animate a golden hero) to not be alternate hero skins.

Then again, they're holding cards, which presumably they wouldn't in actual hero skins. Malfurion's also doesn't really work as a hero portrait unlike the others.

The art is a bit high effort (and animated like you might animate a golden hero) to not be alternate hero skins.

Then again, they're holding cards, which presumably they wouldn't in actual hero skins. Malfurion's also doesn't really work as a hero portrait unlike the others.

It's hard to say. Have other expansions used their banner art in game before? A quick look at the site shows this, which I don't think is ever shown fully in game.

Also, some quick googling has revealed that the title might be, "Knights of Frozen Throne." That sounds pretty character specific to me.

Hybris

just woke up to the news... don't know anything at all about the litch king or the ice crown, but yes to all the heroes being undead, yes to this creepy atmosphere. I like this a lot as a theme.

now show me the goods.

Here's a quick summary I posted in the other thread.
Hybris said:
So this is from the Icecrown Citadel patch in World of Warcraft. For the final boss, you fight Arthas, the lich king. Near the end of the fight, Arthas kills everyone in the raid. This has extra significance because when the lich king kills someone, they will come back as an undead and fight on his side. So the Lich King has killed the most powerful heros of Azeroth and is resurrecting them as undead, but Tirion comes in shatters the lich king's sword Frostmourne. Your raid is resurrected and you finish off the lich king while he is devoured by the captured souls escaping from Frostmourne.

Based on the leaked artwork it looks like we may be seeing an alternate timeline where Tirion did not stop Arthas from turning everyone into undead. If so, that's cool as fuck.

wiibomb

It's hard to say. Have other expansions used their banner art in game before? A quick look at the site shows this, which I don't think is ever shown fully in game.

Also, some quick googling has revealed that the title might be, "Knights of Frozen Throne." That sounds pretty character specific to me.

this one is pretty special, they don't depict just some random creatures, they specifically depict only the 9 heroes in that special state.

I think they will be bosses of the adventure mode, not new hero portraits (9 class portraits is just too much to give at once)

Here's a quick summary I posted in the other thread.

that makes it much clearer, thanks.

yes this is cool af.

TankUP

So the possibilities based on the art:

1. Hero Portraits
2. A card that replaces your hero
3. Class legendaries that are evil versions of the hero
4. Adventure Bosses
5. Thematic art that won't appear in game in any meaningful way.

Anything I'm missing?

sibarraz

Banned
Gwent is still in beta. Eternal had terrible balance last I checked - Warcry is ridiculous.

I stopped playing Duelyst back in February, but I played it for almost a whole year. There's nothing "quick" about the process. I talked with the dev team at length about the game's issues. It also had nothing to do with Hearthstone. I never got into Shadowverse. I made an S tier deck on day 1, played it for a while, and moved on. I've played and tried every card game on Steam, so that's not saying much.

I'm a fan of Undead Gambit.

Oh sorry, it wasn't spcified to you, but rather, to this sentiment were in the middle of wotg-msog when a great ton of ccg released, people praised them on the first day and how hearthstone was on the verge of dissapearing.

Nachos

I saw one of those other games had an "Evolved" form of cards, so I guess this would be similar? Then again if that's a bad mechanic, hopefully Hearthstone will have a different version.
Not quite the same. In Shadowverse, both players start off with a set number of evolve points (2 if you go first and 3 if you go second), and you can use them to evolve any minion in the game, once evolving unlocks a few turns into the match. In all cases, the minions will get Charged Devilsaur's card text, and then some bonus effects. In most cases, it's just +2/+2, but some cards get +1/+1 and exclusive evolution effects instead. One of the more common ones when I played summoned a 2/2 and a 1/1, but now that I'm looking at the new cards, one adds a 0-mana 2/2 to your hand. That minion's battlecry then draws two random minions costing 2 or less mana.

Mind, I only played Shadowverse for a little bit after it came out, but I really liked the mechanic and thought it was a good solution for the minion-vs-minion dynamic that Blizzard's been trying to encourage.

Gothos

Thinking about coming back to the game. Is there any viable deck for Hunter in the current meta (not talking legend tier, maybe rank 9-10?)?

Evolve is a bad mechanic. It just leads to more face burst in most decks. It isn't very interactive, either, since you can't play around you opponent's entire deck being boosted.

Oh sorry, it wasn't spcified to you, but rather, to this sentiment were in the middle of wotg-msog when a great ton of ccg released, people praised them on the first day and how hearthstone was on the verge of dissapearing.
People are obsessed with games dying, and I don't know why. I would love for the games I don't care for to be successful. Something in (American?) culture has led to people wanting to see things fail or die. A strange kine of pleasure at something else not doing well.

Can we Hall of Fame Tirion while we're at it? This is the perfect excuse.
Getting rid of a class legendary would be a huge deal. It means Paladins would always be at -1 for options. I don't think that is a good idea, even though Tirion has pissed me off in the past. Well, it's really when I have to kill 2-3 of them that I get irate. Removing taunt from him so you can't discover multiples would be great. He would still be a very good card, but not OP.

I don't think it's a good trend to try and expect or argue for cards to get "Hall of Fame"d each expansion. It's better to learn and adjust. For example, Gluttonous Ooze is a fantastic anti-meta card right now, and it helps against Tirion as well. About half of my decks run that card right now, and I have never regretted it.

sibarraz

Banned
Yeah, evolve was cool at the beggining on shadowverse, but then they made some cards really busted, and at times even helped some minions with storm making them deal even more face damage

fertygo

Evolve is a bad mechanic. It just leads to more face burst in most decks. It isn't very interactive, either, since you can't play around you opponent's entire deck being
No its not.. I play Shadowverse very frequently and the amount of burst that evolve mechanic does to face its very insignificant its just tool to encourage board interaction in mid game

The amount of evolve is limited and with most of it gonna allocated for board control.. if you can use evolve to burst face you already ahead.

Top Bottom