• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT9| Our raid wiped in Icecrown Citadel

Dahbomb

So are they going to rename previous cards with Lifesteal on them?

Like Mistress of Pain and that Paladin Legendary?

Also are they going to fix its interaction with Auchenai?

Axe Flinger is so damn good in this Brawl.

They did it for Elementals, so I think they might.

Magnus

Can we not pre-order in-game this time? :(

IIRC, same was true for Gadgetzan, but they went back to letting us pre-order within the game client for Un'goro. Strange. I really wanna order via Android in Canada to save some moolah.

I don't know why everyone's goin on about Lifelink. Lifesteal is always what they'd call it, since it's from WoW, circa 2004. Even if LL was in MtG earlier than that, it's hardly a super-unique mechanic. It's a leech life deal, present in like every fantasy RPG around.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
If Deathknight Anduin becomes standard, why would I ever care about a future alternate hero they release for Priest?

1.) Maybe I don't care that Anduin replaces Tyrande or some other hero.
2.) Heck, I might get a slight competitive advantage if people assume I'm not playing a Death Knight deck just because I am playing with an alternate hero.
3.) Death Knight cards will not be in Standard forever.

They did it for Elementals, so I think they might.

A better comparison would be that they changed cobra/maexxna/p.assassin to poisonous.

Technically not a bug. It will be interesting to see if they make Lifesteal subtly different in its wording so that they "fix" it.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member

I believe there is a Brode tweet reply saying they will do the renames. So that seems like a lock.

I have grown to understand the reason for the Auchenai interaction, so I don't think it's a bug anymore and feel like they should leave it. Buuuuuut, since they are adding seemingly lots more of these, I bet it gets changed.

1.) Maybe I don't care that Anduin replaces Tyrande or some other hero.
2.) Heck, I might get a slight competitive advantage if people assume I'm not playing a Death Knight deck just because I am playing with an alternate hero.
3.) Death Knight cards will not be in Standard forever.
1) I care.
2) Probably not.
3) They will always be in Wild, and "you only have to deal with this for 2 years" is one of the dumbest fucking things I hear too much of.

ra/maexxna/p.assassin to poisonous.
Yup, they did that too. Looking forward to them finally adding an Undead tag.

ZealousD

3) They will always be in Wild, and "you only have to deal with this for 2 years" is one of the dumbest fucking things I hear too much of.

For gameplay, sure. This is cosmetics, man. I think you are overreacting. I say this as somebody that literally owns every alternate portrait. I even played WoW to get Liadrin even though I swore off that game years ago for my own health.

TankUP

UpHMDOx.png

For gameplay, sure. This is cosmetics, man. I think you are overreacting. I say this as somebody that literally owns every alternate portrait. I even played WoW to get Liadrin even though I swore off that game years ago for my own health.

You understimate how much I absolutely loathe Anduin.

TankUP

If you hate Anduin, it should make you happy that you get to play as the dead version of him. After all, it's not Anduin anymore; it's an ice zombie.

wiibomb

https://www.reddit.com/r/hearthston...summer_fire_festival_and_play_a_friend_issue/

Not only are they fixing the Play-A-Friend bug (only one player gets double gold) they are retroactively awarding the missing 80 gold to everyone who was shorted.

even MORE gold boyz...

If you hate Anduin, it should make you happy that you get to play as the dead version of him. After all, it's not Anduin anymore; it's an ice zombie.

I just wonder anduin new emotes, usually he is calm, happy and kind of dumb... this hero should be all in on the dark side and pure try hard attitude

Wait why does mistress of pain do infinite damage to yourself?

1. Mistress of Pain does X damage, triggering its ability.
2. Mistress of Pain's ability heals your hero for X.
3. Auchenai Soulpriest/Embrace the Shadow turns that healing into damage, so Mistress of Pain has just dealt X damage. Return to step 2.

Maybe if he's a self-hating asshole.

Still, it's way too weird that Tyrande would turn into Anduin.

ZealousD

Tyrande doesn't turn into Anduin. He's just like "move aside, Miss. Let me handle this." And he takes over. Kind of like Jaraxxus/Ragnaros.

wiibomb

You are not turning you hero, you are literally replacing your hero with whatever is in the card, the card says ragnaros? you are ragnaros now! The card says Jaraxxus?? then you are jaraxxus now. That's like saying turning into jaraxxus as Guldan is weird.

The card says Shadowform Anduin? Tyrande or Anduin, you are now Shadowform Anduin.

The interesting part here is that now we can steal heroes lol.

Weirder than Tyrande turning into Jaraxxus or Ragnaros?
I always assumed Jaraxxus killed your hero and took over.

Tyrande doesn't turn into Anduin. He's just like "move aside, Miss. Let me handle this." And he takes over. Kind of like Jaraxxus/Ragnaros.
That's less worse, but still bad because it's Anduin.

You are not turning you hero, you are literally replacing your hero with whatever is in the card, the card says ragnaros? you are ragnaros now! The card says Jaraxxus?? then you are jaraxxus now. That's like saying turning into jaraxxus as Guldan is weird.

The card says Shadowform Anduin? Tyrande or Anduin, you are now Shadowform Anduin.

The interesting part here is that now we can steal heroes lol.
But I don't want to be Anduin. :(

Woah @ the stealing heroes realization, though.

Finally! I've been waiting years for a Lich King/Icecrown Citadel expansion. It's my favorite story and setting in the Warcraft universe. I cannot wait to get my hands on an Arthas card/hero. And it's the perfect time to bring back Kel'thuzad too. And Sylvanas! The return of my Queen!

As for that new Hunter hero power, I'm a tad skeptical. The thought of infinite pseudo-card draw for the class is appealing, but after seeing how The Marsh Queen turned out, in a bit wary. Plus, how reliable will it be to get the card? If you can't rely on it being there, it'll be hard to shape a deck around it and just hope you draw it -- especially in a class that already lacks card draw!

I always assumed Jaraxxus killed your hero and took over.

That's less worse, but still bad because it's Anduin.

But I don't want to be Anduin. :(

Woah @ the stealing heroes realization, though.
I mean, honestly? Wow at your obsessing over a small point that has been explained to you multiple times. I get you don't like Anduin, but this is a tiny point, and these inconsistencies have existed in the game for years. See: Mirror Image still showing Jaina even if you're Medievh. Scandalous!

I get your point. It's taken, and honestly not completely unreasonable. But it's not worth putting up this much fuss.

Edit: okay, a chunk of this last part is based on my misreading your final line as "rationalization," not "realization." My apologies. I stand by the art inconsistency not being a big deal though.

Grief.exe

Can we not pre-order in-game this time? :(

IIRC, same was true for Gadgetzan, but they went back to letting us pre-order within the game client for Un'goro. Strange. I really wanna order via Android in Canada to save some moolah.

I don't know why everyone's goin on about Lifelink. Lifesteal is always what they'd call it, since it's from WoW, circa 2004. Even if LL was in MtG earlier than that, it's hardly a super-unique mechanic. It's a leech life deal, present in like every fantasy RPG around.

Uhhh

They better because I already purchased the coins weeks ago.

scarlet

From reddit

Not to worry! Non-pack rewards, such as those offered from the Welcome Bundle, Arena, or Heroic Tavern Brawl will follow the same duplication rules that will apply to opening card packs. The same will be true for the upcoming Prologue reward.
You won't need to obtain them in a specific order to avoid getting a duplicate Legendary.

vall03

Finally reached Rank 20, time to forget about Play mode and just complete daily quests!

But still, why the fuck are there meta decks below that rank? I've played against Quest Rogue, Quest Warrior, Silence Priest etc. wtf!

Blizzard

Banned
I figured I'd try something different and actually make a midrange or control deck instead of aggro. I'm rank 15, I can't lose, why not have fun?

According to Hearthstone Deck Tracker, my last match was 25 minutes. Ah yes, that's why I never play anything but aggro. I could almost literally win a Battlegrounds or League of Legends game in that time rather than gaining a single star in Hearthstone. ;____;

I'm sort of excited about the new expansion, but also terrified it's going to further encourage 20+ minute control games, where spending the time to grind ranks will be all but impossible due to real life time pressures.

ZZMitch

I figured I'd try something different and actually make a midrange or control deck instead of aggro. I'm rank 15, I can't lose, why not have fun?

According to Hearthstone Deck Tracker, my last match was 25 minutes. Ah yes, that's why I never play anything but aggro. I could almost literally win a Battlegrounds or League of Legends game in that time rather than gaining a single star in Hearthstone. ;____;

I'm sort of excited about the new expansion, but also terrified it's going to further encourage 20+ minute control games, where spending the time to grind ranks will be all but impossible due to real life time pressures.

I much prefer long control games to 5 minute aggro games personally.

Blizzard

Banned
I don't mean these as rude questions, just curious ones: Do you have a high win percentage or lots of spare time? Or is ranking up not a priority? For me, it takes a ton of games at very low win percentages (e.g. 51-54%) to rank up.

I'd like to play up to rank 10 or better each month. With limited playing time, pretty much the only way to do this is with aggro. Otherwise, imagine I have 1.5 hours of playtime in a night. I might get 5 games in if they're all 20-ish minutes, and that only gains a couple of stars unless you have a very high win percentage.

I mean, honestly? Wow at your obsessing over a small point that has been explained to you multiple times. I get you don't like Anduin, but this is a tiny point, and these inconsistencies have existed in the game for years. See: Mirror Image still showing Jaina even if you're Medievh. Scandalous!

I get your point. It's taken, and honestly not completely unreasonable. But it's not worth putting up this much fuss.

Edit: okay, a chunk of this last part is based on my misreading your final line as "rationalization," not "realization." My apologies. I stand by the art inconsistency not being a big deal though.
Where do you put yourself on the Timmy/Johnny/Spike spectrum?

I push to a multiple of 5 rank with whatever gets me semi-consistent wins, and then I mess around for a bit. If I climb, cool. But if I don't, that's okay too. This is SO much better than how it used to be, at least.

The only thing I hate about control is the mirror. When you take half an hour a match and lose, it's mighty frustrating. I played against a traditional Golden Monkey Control Warrior, and I totally thought I had the match in the bag. Then he played the new Elise, got a full pack, and Golden Monkey'd it. RIP. I had saved enough resources to deal with the 5 cards he had left if most of them were good legendaries, but not 10.

Blizzard

Banned
The only thing I hate about control is the mirror. When you take half an hour a match and lose, it's mighty frustrating. I played against a traditional Golden Monkey Control Warrior, and I totally thought I had the match in the bag. Then he played the new Elise, got a full pack, and Golden Monkey'd it. RIP. I had saved enough resources to deal with the 5 cards he had left if most of them were good legendaries, but not 10.
That's the other thing for me. If you spend 5-7 minutes and lose because of a mistake or bad RNG, no big deal. There's a lot of RNG in the game, and you deal with it.

But if you spend 30 minutes and lose because someone got a ridiculous generated spell or something? That's just punishing for a single star loss.

That's the other thing for me. If you spend 5-7 minutes and lose because of a mistake or bad RNG, no big deal. There's a lot of RNG in the game, and you deal with it.

But if you spend 30 minutes and lose because someone got a ridiculous generated spell or something? That's just punishing for a single star loss.
For me, the flip side of it is this: RNG generally doesn't favor me. The longer a game goes on, the more likely I am to suffer a poor RNG situation. There's thus something there to encourage me to ensure the game finishes as quickly as possible.

That said, I'm not big on straight-up aggro because it isn't very fun or interactive. When I lose, it's best my opponent drew better than I did. That's all there is to it. You don't make many decisions.

Top Bottom